Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

302 vs 305 vs 305 sadface GM

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 12:29 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by codyvette
Anyone who denies this is definitely a fanboy.
A Camaro should have never been offered in 305. Hell, the 350 had hell with a notch 302.
A Mustang should have came with a 351.
Things would have been awesome if the Camaro would have had sequencial fuel injection, 350, 5 or six speed.
Sequential FI in OBD1? And there was a Huge thing called Gov't regulations, EPA and Cafe Standards. Thats why they had to use the 305. It's all Rules and Regs. In a Fantasy land you might be right. So, why not a 632BBC in the 3rdGen. And 500+BBF in the Fox. It was, and is still all about Regulation. And meeting new Gov't guidelines.
Old 08-07-2017, 12:32 PM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by 408-99-f
I bet there is more 305 cars with the 305 still in them, than the fox with the 5.0 in it. Isn't it standard procedure now when you buy a fox to throw that motor away and put a sbc/LS in it lol?
I see more stockish turdgens rolling around here than i do old foxes. And there was way more foxes sold.

Originally Posted by Felix C
Folks use Ford 347 windsor-clevelands. Then there is a 331cid iteration. Run quite hard with those as well.

The electronics on a c4 with LS1 must be a nightmare. Saw a conversion on a corvette site. Hats off to whoever has done it.
331/347 don't last for ****. To much stroke in that short deck block.
Originally Posted by Mike Morris
Be a day in hell when an LS or any mod motor is in my fox. SBF is the best in terms of aftermarket support so it can go as far as you want. You just need to know what your goals are and go from there.
Nothing......absolutely nothing beats the sbc for aftermarket support. With out aftermarket support the sbf couldn't even compete with oe sbc stuff.

Anyone who denies this is definitely a fanboy.
A Camaro should have never been offered in 305. Hell, the 350 had hell with a notch 302.
A Mustang should have came with a 351.
Things would have been awesome if the Camaro would have had sequencial fuel injection, 350, 5 or six speed.
I'll say it. 305 was a better overall engine than a 30p00. I know this due to the amount of 30p00s i outran with a 305. Ever drive a 30p00 truck? What a turd pos that was. 305 on the other hand did decent by comparison.

As far as racing/hotrod engines go i wouldn't use a 30p00 or a 305.

Originally Posted by Mike Morris
If GM had used the L98 cam/tpi in all 305s from 85 and up along with 342/323 gears it would have been fine. 351 stang back then would have required a new hood to clear. It would have destroyed a stock AOD/T5 rather fast. It would have also jacked up the price of the car big time. You could get a LX 5.0 308 geared car for less money than a 305 TBI RS Camaro. In terms of performance it was a slaughter. Even Hio will admit where the Mustang shined was price. And because of that people ignored the shortcomings of the car. For 13 grand on the road there was NOTHING that could touch it. And used TPI cars were more money than the LX anything even a loaded one. I do think this test is weird because the 305 TPI auto car unless it had 277 gears should have beat the 302 stang(the 86 Stang lost power but then again so did the TPI F bomb in 86)
Wanna know how good a 30p00 was. How did those 30p00s with a aod compare to those auto 305s

Foxes had a great price point fo sho. But the only place they could compete was in a straight line. They got their *** handed to them everywhere else in the performance realm.
Old 08-07-2017, 12:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Lmao @ 305 being better than 302. Good one
Old 08-07-2017, 12:58 PM
Staging Lane

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I always get good LuLz when the conversation goes to 302 trucks out of left field

I could have a 305 powered barstool and I'd still get yanked by little Jimmy on his 10 speed Huffy.
Old 08-07-2017, 01:12 PM
Banned

My GTP would blow away a stock or lightly modded 30poo pustang.
Old 08-07-2017, 01:49 PM
On The Tree

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

You should get an SS hood Jake. Or a cowl hood. Stock Z hood is boring
Old 08-07-2017, 02:14 PM
TECH Regular

Received 88 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
I see more stockish turdgens rolling around here than i do old foxes. And there was way more foxes sold.
Agreed. I have seen this as well.

Nothing......absolutely nothing beats the sbc for aftermarket support. With out aftermarket support the sbf couldn't even compete with oe sbc stuff.
This is true. That said, the 305 doesn't make as much power as the 350. The 305 specific parts are harder to come by and again, you don't get as much for your investment as you would get taking the same steps to make power in a traditional Chevrolet SBC 350. So while the 305 is an SBC, they aren't worth using for anything but one of those cool *** coffee tables with a V8 for the base. It's a boat anchor and a waste of time to deal with. Chevrolet 350's are a drop in replacement for LG4, L03, L69, and LB9 engines. There is no reason to do anything with a 305.

I'll say it. 305 was a better overall engine than a 30p00. I know this due to the amount of 30p00s i outran with a 305. Ever drive a 30p00 truck? What a turd pos that was. 305 on the other hand did decent by comparison.
The 302 HO is faster than the bulk of the 305's. Only the non-peanut cammed 305's could out perform the 302 HO and even then, the Mustang was lighter. On a road course, you would be absolutely right but again the 305 is still garbage next to the 350.

As far as racing/hotrod engines go i wouldn't use a 30p00 or a 305.
The 302 is proven and has amazing aftermarket support. It's definitely better than the 305.

Wanna know how good a 30p00 was. How did those 30p00s with a aod compare to those auto 305s

Foxes had a great price point fo sho. But the only place they could compete was in a straight line. They got their *** handed to them everywhere else in the performance realm.
I will agree, but once you bring aftermarket support into it the 302 is better than the 305 and the 302 is worse than the 350. I don't know why anyone would argue that point.
Old 08-07-2017, 02:49 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 89BANDIT
Sequential FI in OBD1? And there was a Huge thing called Gov't regulations, EPA and Cafe Standards. Thats why they had to use the 305. It's all Rules and Regs. In a Fantasy land you might be right. So, why not a 632BBC in the 3rdGen. And 500+BBF in the Fox. It was, and is still all about Regulation. And meeting new Gov't guidelines.
The Mustang F.I. was better handsdown. No, the 305 was not for EPA bullshit or the 350 would not have been an option. A 351 intake would have been easy to make fit under the fox hood. The reason I say the 351 is because the package is still small enough to make it a decent cornering car.a 632 would **** that and the packaging aspect right out the window .
Old 08-07-2017, 04:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

At least 305s sounded good while they were behind the 302 Mustang I guess.
Old 08-07-2017, 04:13 PM
Staging Lane

I wish they would have kept and gone further with the 327, on the other hand you could have just chose a 350.
Which I would rather build than a 302 if I was going full ci rought. Not like taking the motor out of any of them and swapping is rocket science now.
GM also had the vette if you had the ching I guess
GM was experimenting with a all around sports car for the F
Fast forward to today and oh noooooo all the old f cars and foxes look kinda well.....
Old 08-07-2017, 04:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Championing the 305 goes against how we are taught about engines, small bore to long stroke. Fine for a torquer engine and not a revving small block. However, it is a small block so double handicap. Fine for average joe DD or hey it feels quick type street applications. Nothing against it or many other small V8s(I had an Olds 307) of the Malaise Motors era. Just better options out there. Ford 302 great bore, stroke, rod length. crappy heads. Easier to upgrade heads than have a block changed to suit needs.

I think the bros. back then said the same. If serious, save your money and prep a 350.

Last edited by Felix C; 08-08-2017 at 05:07 AM.
Old 08-07-2017, 05:30 PM
Staging Lane

The Mustang F.I. was better handsdown. No, the 305 was not for EPA bullshit or the 350 would not have been an option. A 351 intake would have been easy to make fit under the fox hood. The reason I say the 351 is because the package is still small enough to make it a decent cornering car.a 632 would **** that and the packaging aspect right out the window .

NO. It had everything to do with EPA "BS" Was all about emissions. And MPG. Just like today. You can make the same argument for the Mopars 5.7 vs 6.4. All new car makers must have a certain amount of units that Produce X amount of emissions. They must do that in order to produce larger ci motors. To be able to say build 5000 Hellcats. They must put out X amount of cars with emissions lower than X number. (All #'s are Hypothetical). So in the 80's for GM to be able to build the amount of Corvettes (Aluminum headed L98) they had to have X number of other V8 cars with a lower, or different emissions output, and MPG's In order for them to build the L98 Fbody cars. They HAD to build X amount of LB9 and V6 cars. Same theory goes across there entire lineup for any given year. One of the reasons why Chrysler had to wait almost a year to get EPA cert for there Ecodiesel in the JeepGC and RAM 1500. My explanation of this im sure is confusing. But my basic premise is right. Basically in order for car makers to build big ci high Hp cars. The Gov't makes them build X amount of the opposite. Hope that makes sense.

Last edited by 89BANDIT; 08-07-2017 at 05:37 PM.
Old 08-07-2017, 06:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Yes the 305 was built for MPG. Each automaker had to achieve a certain average MPG. And no a 351 would not clear the stock hood back then. Now you can with with the motor mounts they have out.
Old 08-07-2017, 06:35 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Nick.H
Lmao @ 305 being better than 302. Good one
---
Originally Posted by snake95
I always get good LuLz when the conversation goes to 302 trucks out of left field

I could have a 305 powered barstool and I'd still get yanked by little Jimmy on his 10 speed Huffy.
When i look at a "engine" and how it performs i look at all the applications it was available in. Hands down the 305 was better than a 30poo.

It simply made better average tq throughout its rpm span. The hotrod dyno proved that.

Originally Posted by Spamfritter
Agreed. I have seen this as well.

This is true. That said, the 305 doesn't make as much power as the 350. The 305 specific parts are harder to come by and again, you don't get as much for your investment as you would get taking the same steps to make power in a traditional Chevrolet SBC 350. So while the 305 is an SBC, they aren't worth using for anything but one of those cool *** coffee tables with a V8 for the base. It's a boat anchor and a waste of time to deal with. Chevrolet 350's are a drop in replacement for LG4, L03, L69, and LB9 engines. There is no reason to do anything with a 305.

The 302 HO is faster than the bulk of the 305's. Only the non-peanut cammed 305's could out perform the 302 HO and even then, the Mustang was lighter. On a road course, you would be absolutely right but again the 305 is still garbage next to the 350.

The 302 is proven and has amazing aftermarket support. It's definitely better than the 305.

I will agree, but once you bring aftermarket support into it the 302 is better than the 305 and the 302 is worse than the 350. I don't know why anyone would argue that point.
There wasn't really any aftermarket for 305s. It was a smog motor. I mean why eff with it to try to match some moron like snake when you could put a 350 in it or a 400 and smash him.

I'm ok with watching him shed tears over cubes as i drive away from him. In a matter of seconds i would be far enough away to not hear him sobbing.

Originally Posted by Felix C
Championing the 305 goes against how we are taught about engines, small bore to long stroke. Fine for a torquer engine and not a revving small block. However, it is a small block so double handicap. Fine for average joe DD or hey it feels quick type street applications. Nothing against it or many other small V8s(I had an Olds 307) of the Malaise Motors era. Just better options out there. Ford 302 great bore, strock, rod length. crappy heads. Easier to upgrade heads than have a block changed to suit needs.

I think the bros. back then said the same. If serious, save your money and prep a 350.
The longer stroke is what made it a better overall engine than a 30poo.

But for my $ in sbc's 400s are the way to go.
Old 08-07-2017, 07:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

---

When i look at a "engine" and how it performs i look at all the applications it was available in. Hands down the 305 was better than a 30poo.

It simply made better average tq throughout its rpm span. The hotrod dyno proved that.

There wasn't really any aftermarket for 305s. It was a smog motor. I mean why eff with it to try to match some moron like snake when you could put a 350 in it or a 400 and smash him.

I'm ok with watching him shed tears over cubes as i drive away from him. In a matter of seconds i would be far enough away to not hear him sobbing.

The longer stroke is what made it a better overall engine than a 30poo.

But for my $ in sbc's 400s are the way to go.
Of course you're okay with having more cubes NA vs NA but you cry like a bitch when it's FI 4.6l vs NA 5.7l. Weird.
Old 08-07-2017, 07:57 PM
TECH Resident

89bandit, exactly. It should have been offered with a V6, 4 banger, or big nasty. That would have satisfied emmisions quotas w/o the embarrassment of the 305.
Also, if you read about the SFI like in the 86' Mustang, it helped lower emmisions at idle segnifigantly in an obd1 car.

MM, exactly my point. It would have been easy. You just said so yourself. A set of motor mounts and possibly a different intake and Boom! 351 in a Fox.
Old 08-07-2017, 09:42 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by NateLS1Mustang
Of course you're okay with having more cubes NA vs NA but you cry like a bitch when it's FI 4.6l vs NA 5.7l. Weird.
That's because you're comparing a supercharged v8 to a na one. .....weird

You are a bitch.....along with uour fake *** build
Old 08-07-2017, 09:58 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by snake95

You are correct in saying a 302 truck needs not be in this comparison with light *** cars but then you follow with the irrelevant, untrue, dumb **** about the barstool. That's what I mean when I speak of dumb **** you all type. BTW, who the **** is little Jimmy?
Old 08-07-2017, 11:06 PM
Staging Lane

---When i look at a "engine" and how it perform
I'm ok with watching him shed tears over cubes as i drive away from him. In a matter of seconds i would be far enough away to not hear him sobbing.The longer stroke is what made it a better overall engine than a 30poo.
You really don't know how stupid you look and Mustangs with less cubes will continue to use boost to drive away from you, while you cry and whine that boost isn't fair

MM has an 8.2 deck motor that's the furthest thing from radical, that eats your **** alive. Your life's work racecar

Remember when I asked you about a Cleveland (OEM) headed SBF outrunning your complete engine swapped car and you were backed into a corner so hard you called it a one off race car build?! FoMoCo had better head design than current GM ****, back in the 70s
Old 08-07-2017, 11:07 PM
Staging Lane

You are correct in saying a 302 truck needs not be in this comparison with light *** cars but then you follow with the irrelevant, untrue, dumb **** about the barstool. That's what I mean when I speak of dumb **** you all type. BTW, who the **** is little Jimmy?
That's hyperbole to reiterate how gutless 305s are. Little jimmy is a fictional character. Let the record state little jimmy isn't a real person.

Quick Reply: 302 vs 305 vs 305 sadface GM