Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

turbo and nitrous

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2017, 11:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo and nitrous

Im in the process of building a 94 Camaro dailydriver/ streetcar. Im going with a 5.3 and was wondering what would be a good piston for nitrous and turbo.
Old 09-28-2017, 11:58 AM
Staging Lane

Not to be that guy, but you are in the wrong section. Just letting you know before you get hammered. Also, for a DD why would you want to run both nitrous and turbo? Seems a little overkill....just curious.

EDIT: Also, the stock 5.3 can handle a good amount of power without changing out the pistons. It really depends on how much power you are going to running. Plus, if you are a 6 spd car then a turbo might not be the way you want to go since you will loose boost pressure inbetween shifts.
Old 09-28-2017, 12:41 PM
Staging Lane

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake89
Not to be that guy, but you are in the wrong section. Just letting you know before you get hammered. Also, for a DD why would you want to run both nitrous and turbo? Seems a little overkill....just curious.

EDIT: Also, the stock 5.3 can handle a good amount of power without changing out the pistons. It really depends on how much power you are going to running. Plus, if you are a 6 spd car then a turbo might not be the way you want to go since you will loose boost pressure inbetween shifts.
Just curious what would you consider the best power adder for a 6spd car? Blower because the engine is still spinning at a high rpm? Nitrous you have to install a window switch although it would be faster back on the power I suppose.
Old 09-28-2017, 01:16 PM
Teching In

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

If you are somebody who is not a consistently accurate and swift shifter, a PD blower might be your best bet as it will quickly recover its compression of air between shifts.

I'm not at all knowledgeable about the centri stuff, but I imagine it would be in between a PD blower and a turbo.

Jake89 is correct about turbos and manuals though. I am sure you have seen plenty of YouTube races where the faster car (turbo + manual transmission) loses to slower auto cars because the car has to play the catch up game.
Old 09-28-2017, 01:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Great kill would read again
Old 09-28-2017, 02:07 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Cole Curtis
Just curious what would you consider the best power adder for a 6spd car? Blower because the engine is still spinning at a high rpm? Nitrous you have to install a window switch although it would be faster back on the power I suppose.
That is a loaded question. From what I have read a roots style blower, or nitrous, would be the most optimal for poweradder. Turbo and centirfugal blowers need to spool up so an auto is best paired with those. To be honest I would love a turbo set up paired with a 6 spd but it would be more for fun driving and not racing.

Quick Reply: turbo and nitrous