Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

1994 ZR1 vs 2000 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2019, 05:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 177 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by SoFla01SSLookinstok
Awesome! Thanks for all the info on your car. Gonna take a look at the pics & see if pics of your custom intake track. Also what vacuum pump are you running? Beautiful car & combo.

This is quite odd of how duhg is being so nice. Even though he knows engine size & rwhp numbers. It's good though. Also if you're not planning on spinning much higher than 6800 rpm the manifold you have is probably the best.
Being that it's stroked, I'm not trying to exceed the limits of the actual parts. At 6800 the piston speed is 4675 fpm. That's getting up there (most consider 5200 the max as far as I know, F1 territory). It's already beyond peak anyway, so I don't see the point. Cam was spec'd by Pat G for 7200 redline, but it peaks just after 6k. No need to push it imo. I'm happy with the setup, for now, and that's all that matters in the end. I don't try and say I have the fastest thing on wheels. I just think it's badass to have an NA car making that much to the wheel. Really fun to drive and takes down most things on the street. I also enjoy going to carshows and just being interested in cars. We all have that in common.
Old 03-30-2019, 05:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Should have looked first. Lol. Very nice intake. Also I see you have the GZ pump. The smaller pulley makes me think you have an under drive crank pulley/balancer? How long have you had the pump? Do you have a vacuum gauge hooked up?
Yes, forgot to tell you. GZ motorsport pump with underdrive.
Old 03-30-2019, 05:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ChopperDoc
And it pulls about 12 -15 in WOT. I do have a gauge on my pillar. Had the pump since the build, about 2.5 years (took a year or so to build the car, was a late addition to mod list). Have to drain the puke tank about every 100-150 miles or so, depending on how hard I get on it. It's cool though, my gas tank runs out in 120.
Old 03-30-2019, 05:43 PM
10 Second Club

Received 465 Likes on 364 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

That's some really good info. I built this about 4 years ago, and FAST was the thing back then. Didn't have a lot of options out there. What I have seen with most intake comparisons done on engine dynos, the intakes only were good for about 10, maybe 15 HP between the stock one. But still, that's a gain, so hey I'll take it right? Of course this was from magazine articles and so forth. Things change.

What I really wanted to do, but missed the opportunity due to having already purchased the intake and had the heads milled, was go LS7 heads with 102. That probably would have made this thing make a ton more. But yeah, missed a chance to pick up a set for $1200 because they were "blemished", as in repaired in a non-critical area by the head shop, but could not be sold as new as a result. Should of grabbed em lol.

I will definitely look into that though. It's done for the moment. I have no issue with the fueling, with 80# injectors I'm seeing no more than about 70% duty cycle at WOT, which is fine by me. WB numbers look good too. The real limit was the stock pump, because it dropped to 40 PSI above 4000 RPM, so the Walbro 255 fixed that problem. I haven't ran it over 7k though either, so perhaps it would run out at some point. My current redline is 6800
Intakes/info have moved along pretty good as pretty recently. We were surprised the lod x1 did as well as it did. Both darthv8r and big hammer had good results going to a sniper. It's a shame more stuff don't fit the fcar.....it limits them a bit.

Yea you definitely needing a fuel pump. You have a hotwire kit already on it?
Old 03-30-2019, 05:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
Intakes/info have moved along pretty good as pretty recently. We were surprised the lod x1 did as well as it did. Both darthv8r and big hammer had good results going to a sniper. It's a shame more stuff don't fit the fcar.....it limits them a bit.

Yea you definitely needing a fuel pump. You have a hotwire kit already on it?
Yep, running hotwire kit. I did the "access panel" mod to make it easier to do all that **** for later upgrades if I decide to make this thing truly retarded someday, like throwing on some spray or something like that. My compression is too high for boost, so a 200 shot with some water/meth or race fuel may be in the distant future. I don;t drive it in the rain anyway, and the washer tank is still in it so... I'd have to change the tank out for racegas though, but meh.

If I do that I'll have to run double pumps most likely to make damn sure I have enough fuel to cover it. I already have my IAT wire ran on an extension under the dash, but that ain't for NOS. That's for ******* fireball mode because I like to party. LOL

Last edited by ChopperDoc; 03-30-2019 at 06:02 PM.
Old 03-30-2019, 06:08 PM
11 Second Club

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

And it pulls about 12 -15 in WOT. I do have a gauge on my pillar. Had the pump since the build, about 2.5 years (took a year or so to build the car, was a late addition to mod list). Have to drain the puke tank about every 100-150 miles or so, depending on how hard I get on it. It's cool though, my gas tank runs out in 120.
Very cool to hear. Where is your puke tank? Thanks for info.
Old 03-30-2019, 06:26 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's some really good info. I built this about 4 years ago, and FAST was the thing back then. Didn't have a lot of options out there. What I have seen with most intake comparisons done on engine dynos, the intakes only were good for about 10, maybe 15 HP between the stock one. But still, that's a gain, so hey I'll take it right? Of course this was from magazine articles and so forth. Things change.

What I really wanted to do, but missed the opportunity due to having already purchased the intake and had the heads milled, was go LS7 heads with 102. That probably would have made this thing make a ton more. But yeah, missed a chance to pick up a set for $1200 because they were "blemished", as in repaired in a non-critical area by the head shop, but could not be sold as new as a result. Should of grabbed em lol.

I will definitely look into that though. It's done for the moment. I have no issue with the fueling, with 80# injectors I'm seeing no more than about 70% duty cycle at WOT, which is fine by me. WB numbers look good too. The real limit was the stock pump, because it dropped to 40 PSI above 4000 RPM, so the Walbro 255 fixed that problem. I haven't ran it over 7k though either, so perhaps it would run out at some point. My current redline is 6800
What's your runner lentfh? Long? Mid? Or short?
Old 03-30-2019, 08:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by snake95
Northstars couldn't stay running for long enough to get those POS's out of the dealer's parking lot.

we have owned a bunch of northstars, and in fact we own one right now. all of them 100 percent reliable. 29mpg with the entire family in the car and the trunk full. all of the power it needs.

smooth ride. silent ride. excellent sound system. we ride from huntsville to tampa and feel like we just started the ride. the Deville is the best car we own. 6 cars. it looks the best also.
Old 03-31-2019, 12:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 88 Likes on 66 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by assasinator
we have owned a bunch of northstars, and in fact we own one right now. all of them 100 percent reliable. 29mpg with the entire family in the car and the trunk full. all of the power it needs.

smooth ride. silent ride. excellent sound system. we ride from huntsville to tampa and feel like we just started the ride. the Deville is the best car we own. 6 cars. it looks the best also.
I had a 95 Seville SLS, a 98 Seville SLS, and a 2010 DTS. The 95 needed a transmission, the 98 I got with bad head gaskets, and the 2010 had the classic oil seepage and the inside electronics were giving trouble. Timesert kit on the 98 lasted at least 50K, when I sold it.
Old 03-31-2019, 11:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Very cool to hear. Where is your puke tank? Thanks for info.
Puke tank is behind the drivers side headlight. I cut a small hole out of the plastic on that side and mounted it to the frame with a bracket I made. So the drain sticks out just under the plastic piece there between the tire and bumper. Easy to access and drain.

Originally Posted by "MAC"
What's your runner lentfh? Long? Mid? Or short?
I finally came back and re-read that the original questions was about intake runners and not fuel runners lol. I was drinking last night, so... Yeah. I have the long runners. It's the FAST LSXR, nothing special. Definitely longer than the stock runners as I did take it apart to port match it.
Old 03-31-2019, 11:29 AM
11 Second Club

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Puke tank is behind the drivers side headlight. I cut a small hole out of the plastic on that side and mounted it to the frame with a bracket I made. So the drain sticks out just under the plastic piece there between the tire and bumper. Easy to access and drain.
Sounds very nice.
Old 03-31-2019, 01:32 PM
10 Second Club

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Yep, running hotwire kit. I did the "access panel" mod to make it easier to do all that **** for later upgrades if I decide to make this thing truly retarded someday, like throwing on some spray or something like that. My compression is too high for boost, so a 200 shot with some water/meth or race fuel may be in the distant future. I don;t drive it in the rain anyway, and the washer tank is still in it so... I'd have to change the tank out for racegas though, but meh.

If I do that I'll have to run double pumps most likely to make damn sure I have enough fuel to cover it. I already have my IAT wire ran on an extension under the dash, but that ain't for NOS. That's for ******* fireball mode because I like to party. LOL
Your compression isn't to high for boost. Just gotta run good fuel for when it's turnt up.

I finally came back and re-read that the original questions was about intake runners and not fuel runners lol. I was drinking last night, so... Yeah. I have the long runners. It's the FAST LSXR, nothing special. Definitely longer than the stock runners as I did take it apart to port match it.
I know where a set of mid length runners are if you feel like messing with the car.
Old 03-31-2019, 01:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
Your compression isn't to high for boost. Just gotta run good fuel for when it's turnt up.

I know where a set of mid length runners are if you feel like messing with the car.
Yeah, if I went to alcohol I'm sure I could run boost, and the car did turn 21 this year, so it's tempting lol. But that's money that I'm actually saving towards a dyno, as part of my retirement plan from the military. Found some good ones in the mid 20k range new, and a few used ones on racingjunk for 10-20k. That would also be the time to start messing with that kind of stuff and seeing what mods and tunes work best and so forth. I won't have a lot else to do and would like to do local tuning, custom work, and that kind of thing on the side while the wife gets to work instead hahahaha. For now it's a garage ornament since my wife is scared to drive it lol. I'll be back at it next year sometime when I get done here in the sandbox.
Old 03-31-2019, 02:26 PM
10 Second Club

LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Nice....i would love to have a dyno. I missed one last year for 10k.
Old 03-31-2019, 04:25 PM
Banned

Yea switching to a mid runner will net you more power if you care to add more but either way 550 rwhp for a street car is nothing to laugh at
Old 03-31-2019, 04:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I could not believe when I got my kit that is was nothing but a 302 pushrod air pump reworked. They must laugh all the way to the bank
Old 03-31-2019, 10:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yea switching to a mid runner will net you more power if you care to add more but either way 550 rwhp for a street car is nothing to laugh at
That's interesting. I would think that would have a lot to do with the cam, heads, and exhaust. I thought longer runners increased air velocity and cylinder fill, as RPM increased. With LS3 heads, you want good velocity to promote mixing and fill. The cam I have has 93* of overlap, seat to seat. Very inefficient at lower rpms, but does great in the midrange and up and is optimized for the stroker. I will look into this more, one of these days, because I do enjoy the science behind this stuff. Plus as a tuner, I kind of have to understand this stuff to be good at it, especially if you talk transient fuel or cylinder airmass and VE.

Originally Posted by Mike Morris
I could not believe when I got my kit that is was nothing but a 302 pushrod air pump reworked. They must laugh all the way to the bank
That's actually pretty funny. I don't think I noticed until you just said something. LOL. Welp, too late now. Well played GZ, well played.
Old 04-01-2019, 08:07 AM
Banned

There is a great video on this runner length from fast. Basically long runners are for more stock set ups, mid are for mild and short are for high rpm builds IIRC. Let me find the video to post.
Old 04-01-2019, 08:08 AM
Banned

Old 04-01-2019, 08:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

There is a great video on this runner length from fast. Basically long runners are for more stock set ups, mid are for mild and short are for high rpm builds IIRC. Let me find the video to post.
Well, I learned something new today. That's awesome. I don't know if they offered these back when I bought that, VERY cool. Looks like when I get back I have some runners to swap and some tuning to do... LOL. Thanks for that video. Might get mid and short and play around with it. I think I could get 7400 out of that thing with my parts and setup.