Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

***OFFICIAL*** poast you’re dragy street pulls 2!

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2019, 10:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 78 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Cole Curtis
Do most stock clutches do this? Had the hydraulic issue with fbody stuff in my Camaro, but not had one issue at all with my 01z, pedal comes back up perfectly for some pretty quick shifts. I did flush my reservoir this summer fluid was nasty.

Finalcam have you tried rangers method of cleaning clutch fluid?
Although it is a common, problem I would not say most stock clutches do it. Often times, the issue is a result of chronically avoiding swapping the clutch fluid. Yes, I am aware of the ranger method, but the person who owned my car before me, let the car sit for a good while I think. Or just generally didn't take pristine care of it. I have flushed the clutch fluid 5 or 6 times, I can row the gears 1 time, and the fluid is black again. So the system would need 15-20 flushes I think to get it properly cleaned. I will completely flush the system before I swap clutches. After that, my pedal issues could go away temporarily, but the assembly will give out eventually from the burnouts and launches. Although Ranger did get hundreds of passes on his stock clutch. He was also an outlier, great guy though. I am thankful for his contributions.

Tell us more about your 01z! This is my first c5 and I am enjoying my car quite a bit. Just rolled over 50k miles this week.
Old 05-08-2019, 11:57 AM
10 Second Club

Received 413 Likes on 331 Posts

Originally Posted by Cole Curtis
Do most stock clutches do this? Had the hydraulic issue with fbody stuff in my Camaro, but not had one issue at all with my 01z, pedal comes back up perfectly for some pretty quick shifts. I did flush my reservoir this summer fluid was nasty.

Finalcam have you tried rangers method of cleaning clutch fluid?
It never really was a hydraulic issue imo. If it were a actual hydraulic issue then it wouldn't be rpm/heat related. It simply wouldn't work or the issues would be a constant. Ive also seen mechanical clutches do the same stuff. High rpm clutch sticks to the floor. Was that a hydraulic issue to? Nope......pressure plate issue.

Some of those guys did milk the eff out of the stock clutch. Ima call it junk and move on.

I would also recommend changing to a tilton 6000 series hydraulic release bearing . It's the bee's knees.
Old 05-08-2019, 12:04 PM
7 Second Club

Received 313 Likes on 242 Posts

Not hydraulic....but you should change things in your hydraulics?

Gotta love the doubles! lol
Old 05-08-2019, 12:18 PM
10 Second Club

No double. It's just a better piece and it's adjustable and rebuildable. But you knew that....that's why you made a dumb post.
Old 05-08-2019, 12:30 PM
7 Second Club

How often does it need rebuilding? Can you get through one complete track day with it?
The following users liked this post:
Hardtop (07-09-2019)
Old 05-08-2019, 02:15 PM
10 Second Club

Received 152 Likes on 104 Posts

Stock clutches are junk. Hydraulics are a band aid
Old 05-08-2019, 02:19 PM
TECH Resident

Received 114 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by big hammer
Stock clutches are junk. Hydraulics are a band aid
But but but the ls7 clutch but but but........ that's all you hear on the Facebook pages blows my mind why people still use em.
Old 05-08-2019, 02:25 PM
Staging Lane

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
It never really was a hydraulic issue imo. If it were a actual hydraulic issue then it wouldn't be rpm/heat related. It simply wouldn't work or the issues would be a constant. Ive also seen mechanical clutches do the same stuff. High rpm clutch sticks to the floor. Was that a hydraulic issue to? Nope......pressure plate issue.

Some of those guys did milk the eff out of the stock clutch. Ima call it junk and move on.

I would also recommend changing to a tilton 6000 series hydraulic release bearing . It's the bee's knees.
I'd kill for a hydraulic clutch. ******* sick of cables.

Your notch cable or hyd?
Old 05-08-2019, 02:32 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by snake95

Your notch cable or hyd?
Agreed, Snake. The stock plastic adjusters on the SN95 cars never worked reliably either. Thank God for the after market Firewall adjusters (Steeda). One click every so often puts it right in the sweet spot.
Old 05-08-2019, 04:06 PM
10 Second Club

Received 152 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris25
But but but the ls7 clutch but but but........ that's all you hear on the Facebook pages blows my mind why people still use em.
Ls7 clutch is a tranny eater!
Old 05-08-2019, 05:59 PM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by big hammer
Ls7 clutch is a tranny eater!
That's you ma'am!
Old 05-08-2019, 06:10 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Chris25
They're cheap i guess. Do a great job of adding mechanical traction control with their extra weight

Originally Posted by snake95

Your notch cable or hyd?
Cable......but it has a adjustable quadrant. Makes for a easy release height adjustment.
Old 05-08-2019, 11:45 PM
Staging Lane

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I had a monster stage 2 in my 5.3 Camaro that wouldn't shift at high rpms first run really mild spin of street tires, barely an heat in the clutch. Only change was a hydraulic hose that didnt have the restriction never had another problem. In my case I do believe it was hydraulics.

Wish I had a garage right now I'd do that with a clutch swap
Old 05-08-2019, 11:52 PM
Staging Lane

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by FinalCam
Although it is a common, problem I would not say most stock clutches do it. Often times, the issue is a result of chronically avoiding swapping the clutch fluid. Yes, I am aware of the ranger method, but the person who owned my car before me, let the car sit for a good while I think. Or just generally didn't take pristine care of it. I have flushed the clutch fluid 5 or 6 times, I can row the gears 1 time, and the fluid is black again. So the system would need 15-20 flushes I think to get it properly cleaned. I will completely flush the system before I swap clutches. After that, my pedal issues could go away temporarily, but the assembly will give out eventually from the burnouts and launches. Although Ranger did get hundreds of passes on his stock clutch. He was also an outlier, great guy though. I am thankful for his contributions.

Tell us more about your 01z! This is my first c5 and I am enjoying my car quite a bit. Just rolled over 50k miles this week.
Just my fun daily driver. Torch red with the red and black interior and hydro dipped wheels. Was at 55k when I bought it in August not at 65k lol. Haha zip tie mod and a lot of hours of tuning on the drive down to where I moved. Got a nitrous kit ready for when I find some time to race with my job
Old 05-09-2019, 08:58 AM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by FinalCam

That is the rubber seals inside the master cylinder disintegrating. Once that begins, the master needs replaced. No amount of bleeding the system will cure it. Regardless, a good operating master will never cure the p.o.s. factory stock clutches. But don't get me wrong, the factory stock clutches aren't a total waste, they're actually pretty good for lower rpm non-performance applications.

hammer, trash can's exhaust notes are absolutely amazing.
Old 05-09-2019, 11:25 AM
10 Second Club

The masters are fine. Ive had the same master in my car since 01 or 02......and there was nothing wrong with the oe master. I did the bs "master update". What makes the fluid dirty is the super fine clutch wear particles getting past the hydraulic release bearing......hence one reason i recommended a tilton 6000 series hydraulic release bearing.

The stock clutches in weight and action belong in dump trucks instead of performance vehicles.

Hammer's trash can sounds like sex on wheels.
Old 05-09-2019, 11:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 78 Likes on 48 Posts

The masters are fine. Ive had the same master in my car since 01 or 02......and there was nothing wrong with the oe master. I did the bs "master update". What makes the fluid dirty is the super fine clutch wear particles getting past the hydraulic release bearing......hence one reason i recommended a tilton 6000 series hydraulic release bearing.

The stock clutches in weight and action belong in dump trucks instead of performance vehicles.

Any modifications needed to use the tilton 6000 series release bearing on a c5?
Old 05-09-2019, 12:30 PM
10 Second Club

Idk....we have only put them in a c6 and a 5gen. I think there is a 3/4" spacer uder phils but there was a change in height for the hrb at some point. Maybe when they went to the 6060. So it could bolt in then just adapt the oe lines to an. I have a an flare so we just used tube nuts and sleeves in 4an if i remember right.
Old 05-10-2019, 08:13 AM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

What I mentioned does indeed happen. What you mean is, the clutch fluid can get dirty in more ways than one. Your response sounds like you're saying every stock master never fails...? Or am I taking that wrong?
Old 05-10-2019, 09:38 AM
10 Second Club

I assume they can fail......but i haven't seen one actually fail on a 4gen. On a 5gen they're plastic any jon had some fail running a 7.25 spec clutch.

Ive seen people claim they fail alot but it be the clutch. They're gonna fail about as often as a brake master since they should be made out of similar stuff.

Quick Reply: ***OFFICIAL*** poast you’re dragy street pulls 2!