Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

SRT4 owning a Z06...Check it out

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2004, 07:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im curious... what do SRT-4's get for gas mileage?
Old 07-17-2004, 07:38 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 2 FASST SS
Thanks, Just like slow4dr. he came in speaking like a RACER. Those kind of people will feel at home here. He's a SRT owner and when we read his comments, we don't care what car he has. From your words it sounds like we will see you the same way. It's all about having fun to me. Hell, if my dog looks fast enough i'll race him.... LOL I just like cars and speed.

Thanks bro. I have no loyalty to any make / model cars. I am a true car enthusiast in every sense of the word. I just love cars.

See ya,

Mike

Last edited by 1sweet00SS; 07-18-2004 at 02:25 AM.
Old 07-17-2004, 07:41 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by MillaTK
Im curious... what do SRT-4's get for gas mileage?
The last time I went to Vegas, I maintained a speed of 80-85 mph and had to "spirited runs" and averaged 27 mpg. If I drove 65 (yea right!), I'm sure I would've seen 30+, but who drives 65 to Vegas?

If you are in boost a lot, you won't see any better gas mileage than if you have a heavy foot in an LS1.
Old 07-17-2004, 10:16 PM
Staging Lane

Dang I didn't know a Z06 was so much slower than a 911 and a neon

I was gonna get one but not now. I'm trading my TA on a neon

I can hardly go anywhere without a neon owning me
Old 07-17-2004, 10:17 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by icemanthrilla
damn its funny that u guys talk crap about us saying that we make stupid posts n what not. but this whole thread is just talkin crap about our cars. ls1's arent god s gift to the earth. yeah u guys are faster stock vs stock (srt 4) but damn theyre arent as slow as u think. take mine for example i have a low 13 second srt on stock tires, drags or slicks n ill break 12's. only 1000 in mods and by the way my car was already cheaper than a z28 with no options gettin way better gas mileage and still way cheaper on the insurance. dont get me wrong i joined this site cuz i love ls1's . camaro ss's are the ****! im fully aware of ls1's potential being that i have friends with ls1's n other f bodies but **** i get respect out of all of them from a 4 cylinder. its still american i know over in the srtforums there are a bunch of kids who's parents bought them an srt n think they can beat everyone but our cars arent as bad as u guys think they are. so please stop talkin crap about our cars people thought supras were gay till they got owned by one top end makin like a 100 hp less than them. n by the way there are 1000hp srts with stock block body n if havent already were gonna break the 200 mph barrier and beat the saturn salt flats car. remember i own an srt n in the very near future will own an f body myself lt1 or ls1 not sure yet, but i sure would love to have a blown ls1. smokin 03 cobras left n right!
Hope you weren't talking about my comments. That's not really crap, just ribbing. I am most tolerant of all different types of vehicles (OK, maybe I draw the line on powered scooters on spray - although the race was funny).

I have owned 4 cyl turbos, 6 cylders, 2 cylinders (two wheels though), crappy eights, modest eights, and now and LS1 & Hemi. I see the value, appeal, and all with the smaller engines but really like the feel of a larger displacement. My favorite of all times was a 454 with a rock crusher tranny in a Chevelle. Wasn't actually the fastest around but man, what a feeling when you unlocked all that raw torque (oif course the glass belted tires just smoked a lot)

I prefer the low, rough idle and throaty roar when I step on it. Call me a mullet-head if you want. I can appreciate the turbo whine, particularly on those sneaky Buick grandma-looking sleepers, but it just isn't my favorite.

I also understand that for kids starting today, getting an old 350 and horsing around on the motor isn't as realistic as it was back in my dinosoar days as the costs are just too high. So you are left with 4-bangers that you can work up. And from the looks of things, pretty fast work ups as well.

I hope though that we can all agree that stock to stock or even wiht modifications that match at the philosophical level (forget about the price, there isn't a comparison I admit it), that any V8 and particularly the LS1 in a Camaro or Firebird is going to kick butt.

Now if you really want to spout about 4 cylinders, get the Hot Rod magazine article (few years ago) where they took about 4K, a Merkur engine, some spray and created a 10 second, wheel standing Pinto (gray primer and all). And it would pass inspection. There's the best speed for the $ if you must take that equation to the extreme.

It's all good as long as whatever you brung can back up what comes out of your mouth. There are a couple here that seem to be able to and a whole bunch that have serious rectal-cranial inversion.

Chuck
Old 07-19-2004, 09:21 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by pat02TA
Dang I didn't know a Z06 was so much slower than a 911 and a neon

I was gonna get one but not now. I'm trading my TA on a neon

I can hardly go anywhere without a neon owning me

I hope you are joking (No disrespect to anyone). The Z06 is a beautiful machine. Are you new to racing forums?
Old 07-19-2004, 10:50 AM
12 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

I got beat by an SRT4 Neone myself and ended up a kill story.. at the track. The trouble was? I had a Better ET and mph. I was just staring at the stands for no reason (during ricer night..er...Midnight Mayhem) It was was ~2am and I was looking around..I had been staged for a while and the guy was doing a burnout a something for like 2 minutes. LOL Hell I noticed the guy next to me go before I realized the light was green. Oops. so with an RT closing on 2.5 seconds..I lost by a car length or so. I found the kid and posted what I ran...(no times are posted and you dont get to see what the other person ran during midnight mayhem) once he relized I had ran a better ET his attitude dropped considerably. He was actually a pretty cool kid.
Old 07-19-2004, 11:06 AM
12 Second Club

The base Dodge SRT-4 starts at $19,450* MSRP.
The base Z28 Coupe (1997) was $20,115* MSRP.
Just wanted to keep the comparo fair..since this was the last year that a neon is about equal to in performance.

The price of the base LS1 cars was $22,000 by 2002, but with LS6 compenents and running half to a full second faster than a stock SRT4 (remember...Fbodys have gone 12s stock..regardless of the number of people...there is proof and it happens on stock tires).

So with that full 1,000 bucks you threw in to get your car is LS1 territory (Whats your mph look like?) You are ~1,000 dollars away from the MSRP of a brand new 2002 (ok..I know they dont make them anymore..blah blah blah..just for comparison sake..since they love to bring up "value") The Fbody was raved as the best bang for the buck by damn near everone in the time it was around. Now the crown was passed since its depature...just realize if the Fbody was still being built today...it would STILL be the best bang for the buck. I dont see how anyone could disagree with that.

My point is... if I was 1G away from owning a muscle car..or a rental car... I would still have the fbody.
Old 07-19-2004, 12:10 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by S8ER95Z
The base Dodge SRT-4 starts at $19,450* MSRP.
The base Z28 Coupe (1997) was $20,115* MSRP.
Just wanted to keep the comparo fair..since this was the last year that a neon is about equal to in performance.

The price of the base LS1 cars was $22,000 by 2002, but with LS6 compenents and running half to a full second faster than a stock SRT4 (remember...Fbodys have gone 12s stock..regardless of the number of people...there is proof and it happens on stock tires).

So with that full 1,000 bucks you threw in to get your car is LS1 territory (Whats your mph look like?) You are ~1,000 dollars away from the MSRP of a brand new 2002 (ok..I know they dont make them anymore..blah blah blah..just for comparison sake..since they love to bring up "value") The Fbody was raved as the best bang for the buck by damn near everone in the time it was around. Now the crown was passed since its depature...just realize if the Fbody was still being built today...it would STILL be the best bang for the buck. I dont see how anyone could disagree with that.

My point is... if I was 1G away from owning a muscle car..or a rental car... I would still have the fbody.
I could come up with some figures that would make owning a 1985 honda accord more sensible than an f-body. What's the point?

Buy what you want, and drive it faster than the other guy.
Old 07-19-2004, 12:13 PM
12 Second Club

I would love to see you do that..considering it has nothing to do with anything posted.. but go ahead. Have fun.

My post was in response to IcemanThrilla -
damn its funny that u guys talk crap about us saying that we make stupid posts n what not. but this whole thread is just talkin crap about our cars. ls1's arent god s gift to the earth. yeah u guys are faster stock vs stock (srt 4) but damn theyre arent as slow as u think. take mine for example i have a low 13 second srt on stock tires, drags or slicks n ill break 12's. only 1000 in mods and by the way my car was already cheaper than a z28 with no options gettin way better gas mileage and still way cheaper on the insurance. dont get me wrong i joined this site cuz i love ls1's . camaro ss's are the ****! im fully aware of ls1's potential being that i have friends with ls1's n other f bodies but **** i get respect out of all of them from a 4 cylinder. its still american i know over in the srtforums there are a bunch of kids who's parents bought them an srt n think they can beat everyone but our cars arent as bad as u guys think they are. so please stop talkin crap about our cars people thought supras were gay till they got owned by one top end makin like a 100 hp less than them. n by the way there are 1000hp srts with stock block body n if havent already were gonna break the 200 mph barrier and beat the saturn salt flats car. remember i own an srt n in the very near future will own an f body myself lt1 or ls1 not sure yet, but i sure would love to have a blown ls1. smokin 03 cobras left n right!
Old 07-19-2004, 12:18 PM
TECH Regular

I would love to see you do that..considering it has nothing to do with anything posted.. but go ahead. Have fun.
What you posted has nothing to do with anything sensible.

My post was in response to IcemanThrilla -
Then you are both idjits.
Old 07-19-2004, 12:37 PM
Staging Lane

Now the crown was passed since its depature...just realize if the Fbody was still being built today...it would STILL be the best bang for the buck. .
And IF I had a picked all six numbers last week in the lottery, I would be a millionaire.......

But I didn't pick the right numbers, and the F-body is dead.....

I agree with apathy, these arguments are kinda lame. If this, if that.... the argument could go on forever. How much was a GN back in the day.... 15k? or a 5.0........14k?

Let's concentrate on the here and now, because if my dad had pulled out on my mom, I wouldn't be here today....

Old 07-19-2004, 12:46 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 1sweet00SS
because if my dad had pulled out on my mom, I wouldn't be here today....
That's funny and gross.

Awesome.
Old 07-19-2004, 01:57 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 1sweet00SS
if my dad had pulled out on my mom, I wouldn't be here today....

Old 07-19-2004, 02:02 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by apathy
That's funny and gross.

Awesome.

hehehe thanks

Yea, I just reread what I typed, pictured an ugly sight and I just......
Old 07-19-2004, 02:03 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by slow4dr

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!
Old 07-19-2004, 02:06 PM
Banned

Old 07-19-2004, 05:27 PM
12 Second Club

Wow, no wonder people think fbody owners are asses..

He made an argument, I posted facts. The neon owners always seem to fall back on "my car was only blah blah blah brand new". Since that number is only 1 ~ 2 thousand less than what the base Z28/Formula cost.. it takes that argument away from them. Oh well..guess Ill stop wasting my time...seems the "neon" guys arnt the only ones in here that need to grow up.
Old 07-19-2004, 05:41 PM
TECH Regular

Wow, no wonder people think fbody owners are asses..

He made an argument, I posted facts. The neon owners always seem to fall back on "my car was only blah blah blah brand new". Since that number is only 1 ~ 2 thousand less than what the base Z28/Formula cost.. it takes that argument away from them. Oh well..guess Ill stop wasting my time...seems the "neon" guys arnt the only ones in here that need to grow up.
I don't drive an f-body, thank you very much.

My point was that arguing from a cost perspective is quite stupid. You buy what you want, you put whatever amount of money into it that you want, and you run it. It's your choice. If neon boy is making that argument, who cares. It's dumb when he says it, it's dumb when you say it. Ignore it. Timeslips speak volumes.

Dollar for dollar, the f-body makes more power than a toyota camry, or a honda passport. Does that mean that everyone who drives a camry or passport should be driving an f-body?

People buy cars for different purposes, with different intents in mind. Too many people are so focuses on how awesome their car is (whatever it is...f-body, neon, civic, cobra). We should be happy about variety.

Edit: LS1 owners also fall back on the cost argument, FYI. Look up some of the threads on here about the cobra and get ready to laugh your *** off. You bunch of ricers!
Old 07-19-2004, 05:49 PM
Launching!

Okay, so a new srt-4 is like what 20,000 +/- brand new....good deal, right? What an fbody cost in 97, or 2000, or 2002 does not take that argument away from them. The fact that a 98 - 99 with less than 50k on the od can be had for 11 - 12k all day long is what takes the argument away. They'd have to spend quite a bit to keep up with a 12k 99 Z28 with $500 worth of n2o. So the speed to $$ argument is dead.

Edit: LS1 owners also fall back on the cost argument, FYI. Look up some of the threads on here about the cobra and get ready to laugh your *** off. You bunch of ricers!
Good point, and also pertains to my post above...just didn't think about it as I was posting. Cheers!

Timeslips speak volumes
The only thing that counts isn't it.