Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

94 Talon or Notchback 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2004, 07:51 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont know which way to go on this one, ive driven a few dsm;s and they are a blast. nothing is funner then AWD with coilovers. but the notchback can still hold its own on a road course. but i still think if u slap a 20g turbo on a dsnm, u will have a better bang for the buck value.
Old 09-08-2004, 09:43 PM
Staging Lane

DSM vs 5.0

Is this going to be a daily driver?
How fast do you want it to be?
Which do you think is better looking?

Those are some questions I would seriously consider. 5.0 parts are very cheap, and the DSM is very cheap as well. The DSM I think can be made quick fast, most turbo cars are. But the 5.0 in the end will win in the mod world. Fastest DSM? Has to be that John Shephard guy who runs a 8.7. He beats drag DSM's.
Old 10-23-2004, 04:29 AM
Teching In

Default Fromer DSM tuner expert here now converted to lt1 ower..

Ok,
I'd say for someone who is New and inexqerianced with cars go with a Mustang..

Dsm can be fast but you Have to be a tuning/mech expert to get there! Dont think a few bolt ons will even make your car faster. It actually make them slower. Point being alot of guys make mods without theeproper fuel/cpu, larger injects.. AND the most important someone who know how to tune dsm.
I tuned about 50 of f them and there relievely easy once you know how and with the proper monorting equipment.

To start out, I have been moding dsms sfor about 10 years. I've had over 6 dsm personaly that I have owned. Most of them where in the 12-11s
and I but about 3-4 thousnads in each. Including the price of the car.
I can only say off hand most of them are in 13's with basic mods..
Note the trans are good on these cars when built right,
I never broke a good rebuilt trans trans in any of my cars!
DSM are easy to get in 12s but hard to get into the 11's and it costs major money aat that point.

And all mods I've done myself.
Rebuilt engines, made intake mainfolds, rebuiilt trans, made my one exhausts..
I'd always get a 1g over a 2g. 2g=Crank walk and weak *** blocks/cranks.

Now the 6blt 1gs blocks are god sends- they can hold 550 hp, stock.. and last along time. If your looking to get into dsm these are the ones to get. 92-94!
They have the stronger rear ends , biger brakes.!

The reason I was a dsm freak was that it was a GOOD car that I could drive year round.. And if you know how Chicago winters are since most of our year we have snow on the ground I'd drive the dsm 4wld drive are match made in heaven.
But in the summer i'd drive my coustom 86 dfi, 383 vette. Its nice but its a toque beast touch the ga and the tires would spin.

I resently sold the vette about a year ago to my uncle. And I do have the v-8 bug so I just purchase a lt1-93 camaro.
All I got to say is I like the strock lt1 motor but the trans like my vettes 700rtrans are a peice of **** in stock form!
My goal for the lt1 is to beat my ucles vette (my old car) its a 383 in the 13 low street tires, if hes get slicks I'd say 12's no prob..
but with with the knowagable people in these formums I dont see any problems in that..
Old 10-23-2004, 07:48 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Lswonder
I didnt now where to post this so i figured this would be the place. Ok my friend wants to trade his 89 Thunderbird turbo coupe in for either a Talon Tsi with for wheel drive or a notchback fox body. He asked me what I thought and i said get the 5.0. He asked me to post this up to get everyone's opinion on which is the best bang for the buck. just tell me what yall think is faster in the longrun
tell him to keep the turbo coupe it's a sleeping giant! i'v seen a guy show up at a street race with that same car and some et street's turbo and mod's and that night he waxed about 3 ls1's a turbo civic and some other car's as well i dont no what he run's and i dont care that car was fast!
Old 10-23-2004, 04:29 PM
12 Second Club

Notchback
Old 10-23-2004, 05:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well its all koo cuz he has a 2000 z28 now, wtih newely installed custome gring camshaft ported ls1 heads longtubes, lid etc