Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

So I got my first ride in a lightly modded '03 Cobra...

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2004 | 07:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by DD966
Maybe you get pissed a little too easily.
I agree with that. I have a short fuse.

My point is: The original poster was talking about buying a Cobra. I basically told that his money would be better spent upgrading his T/A.
I agree.

BTW: my ex-Formula came with an LT1. I have raced both (Cobra & LT1 Supercharged Formula). I'd rather have the Formula. And... I bet the Formula has another 80,000 in her, especially the way I took care of the first 80,000.
So somebody else swapped it in?

The LT1 was first put into use by GM in '92, in the Corvette. Perhaps it's the L98 you're thinking of. The factory motor in your Formula was definitely not an LT1.

Originally Posted by TT_Vert
that may have been true years ago but with todays techonology and tuning capabilities, its been done time and time again.

Dave
So you're honestly telling me that one two setups, both of them identicle except for the compression- say one is running 10.4:1, the other 9:1- will last about the same time? I think not.
Old 09-06-2004 | 07:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TT_Vert
that may have been true years ago but with todays techonology and tuning capabilities, its been done time and time again.

Dave
Amen. We've come a long way, with tuning especially.
Old 09-06-2004 | 07:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

So you're honestly telling me that one two setups, both of them identicle except for the compression- say one is running 10.4:1, the other 9:1- will last about the same time? I think not.
umm.. yeah exactly what im saying. If you dont lean it out, detonate it, the motor is none the wiser to the compression. YOu get greedy w/ boost and dont make the proper precautions, an 8.5:1 motor can blow up. I had a blown mustang and i kept lifting the head due to the shitty 10 head bolt design regardless of compression ratio. So if you know what you are doing a higher compression motor can live just as long a life as a lower compression motor. Of course a higher compression motor will need to be tuned properly to live as long as a lower compression motor to survive.

Dave
Old 09-06-2004 | 09:07 PM
Staging Lane

The Cobra is one hell of a car. I'm surpised you didn't find any races though, some people will for sure show you the meaning of fast, good luck with that Viper. You should get something done with that T/A though, you can still run side by side with him all day long for some money. In the end both great cars, although side by side year by year [1999 Cobra vs 1999 Firebird] I think the F-body won. To bad sales haven't spoken the same.
Old 09-06-2004 | 10:03 PM
TECH Junkie

its amazing at how quick a post can turn into a d!#k measuring contest!

what makes the cobra so potent for real is the fact that its a 4 valve headed motor ... the 4 valve heads respond very well to forced induction
Old 09-07-2004 | 09:28 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Full-Force
its amazing at how quick a post can turn into a d!#k measuring contest!
It's amazing how quickly that contest will end too since my nickname is Big Unit and I'm 6'7.

We done with this post yet?
Old 09-07-2004 | 03:08 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by King02SS
Could do cam only. Do a t-rex and you won't even need heads. Or tsp's "magic stick". That alone should be easy 11s on stock suspension with some drag radials. You'll need a nasty stall and some gears though. I would just go with like a 3500 stall and spray a 150 shot if it was me. Geez I'm tired and bored can you tell lol.
I've been in one t-rex car and I dont think I would want that in my daily driver...then again maybe Im just a *****.
Old 11-02-2004 | 11:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

I am definately biased here....

My story: friend of mine had 450+ rwhp in his 03 cobra and the best he ran was a 12.4 NA. He has a 2003 C5 M6 stock ran a 12.4...... 450rwhp vs 320rwhp.....

the mustang is a dyno queen and has a harder time hooking.....

I was considering the cobra, but no way. Vette and F-body looke better and hook better.

Also, why does everyone say that the mustang (or any other forced induction auto) has better internals? Of course it does, it is ******' S/C from the factory????

bottom line, you need more hp in the cobra because it can't get power to the pavement and it weighs more..... easy to modify=yes. would we all want one? NO

Old 11-02-2004 | 12:27 PM
TECH Regular

Am i missing something? How can you not hook good and run consistent numbers all from different cars? Just asking, because i need to practice my launch technique. Modded Cobras run 12's, 11's and not hook good. I don't understand that.
Old 11-02-2004 | 12:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 2 FASST SS
Am i missing something? How can you not hook good and run consistent numbers all from different cars? Just asking, because i need to practice my launch technique. Modded Cobras run 12's, 11's and not hook good. I don't understand that.
Not putting the power to the pavement efficiently is what i am talkin' about. For example wheel hop. Just check out the 60' times..... if you are over 2.0's....that isn't gonna help your ET's. Not sure what your 2nd question means? but you are asking how a low hp vette can run consistant #'s w/ a high hp cobra..... Easy....the cobra weighs more and has lots of wheel hop. My buddy in his mostly stock vette ran a 12.6 w/ a 130+ hp difference vs. the 450 hp cobra.... He couldn't get the cobra to get good 60' times..... from a roll the cobra would spank the vette, but from a dig, it is obviously a different story......
Old 11-02-2004 | 12:42 PM
STF Veteran

Since this thread is being dragged up I am compelled to post in it. I'm sure most of you guys won't agree but here are my thoughts. I just sold my 99 SS with a mild stall and a 224R cam and bolt on's. My car was capable of running low 12's. The next step for me was a forged motor and then a transmission and then some sort of F/I turbo or supercharger. My car is an A4 and I don't like that aspect of it. I like rowing gears. Here is my logic:

My car with its current mods = ~$17,000 (bolt on’s and cam and exhaust)

Forged motor for my car = ~$4-5,000

LSX intake and TB = $1,300

Set of heads for my car = $2,000

Cam for my car = $400 (went too small for my first cam)

Supercharger for my car = $6,000 (choose either S/C or turbo)

Turbo for my car = $6,500

Transmission for my car level 5 = $2,000

Good converter for my car = $1,000 (the convert I have came with the car it isn’t one that I would choose)

Rear end for my car = $2,500

This doesn’t include labor for any of this. I don’t have the means or the time to install all of this equipment.

Total without labor = ~$37,000

Buy a ’03 Cobra = $25,000

Kenne Bell 2.2L supercharger kit (Blowzilla) = $3,700

55# Injectors = $600 (not necessary but recommended)

CAI = $300

Clutch = $1,200

Input shaft = $250

Level 5 axles = $1,600

100 shot of N20 = $1,000

I can install most of the items here.

Total without labor = ~$34,000

Both cars will put down around 600 hp (which is my goal) to the tires relatively reliably. Besides the price the Cobra has the edge IMO because those power levels can be obtained with the stock exhaust. That doesn’t seem like a big advantage to some of you but I am tired of driving a loud *** car around. I like to enjoy the radio and carry on a conversation with someone or even on the phone. Plus the Cobra will be much easier as a daily driver. (aside from being able to spin the tires at 70 mph)

I am aware that the SS would most likely be the faster of the two but it is still an A4. I don’t plan on going to the drag strip much at all.

Like I said I’m sure most of you won’t agree with my logic but guess what? You don’t have to buy a Cobra.

Last edited by 99-LS1-SS; 11-02-2004 at 12:51 PM.
Old 11-02-2004 | 02:01 PM
Teching In

I remember when the 03 cobra first came out i was looking at one and the sticker price was somewhere around 40,000.

My 2002 formula cost me 28,000 out the door so 12,000 in mods and my formula would fly so imo i am glad i bought the formula.
Old 11-02-2004 | 03:19 PM
On The Tree

There are 03/04 Cobras on SVTPerformance.com trapping 123+ going very low 11's with the IRS. That's with all the bolt ons and a ported blower. A few of them have made 500/500 with those mods, no spray. That's pretty impressive. And considering how prices of those cars have dropped with the 05 GT now out, they are very doable. Some of the times with Cobras in this thread just downright suck. I have seen much better than that.

I love my Formula. But honestly, sometimes the loud exhaust and cam gets to me. It can be just too much "in your face". Driving a car that sounds and acts stock, but can change like a banshee when you get in it, is very attractive. Especially if all of the upgrades can be done as bolt on's and make more power than my Formula makes now, even with just a CAI and pulley swap. I like the idea of having 500/500 to the rear and it sound just like my '86 GT with ORH and Flows. A serious blower swap can make 600 - 700 easy. All with stock internals...

Last edited by Wease; 11-02-2004 at 03:27 PM.
Old 11-02-2004 | 03:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Wease
There are 03/04 Cobras on SVTPerformance.com trapping 123+ going very low 11's with the IRS. That's with all the bolt ons and a ported blower. A few of them have made 500/500 with those mods, no spray. That's pretty impressive. And considering how prices of those cars have dropped with the 05 GT now out, they are very doable. Some of the times with Cobras in this thread just downright suck. I have seen much better than that.

I love my Formula. But honestly, sometimes the loud exhaust and cam gets to me. It can be just too much "in your face". Driving a car that sounds and acts stock, but can change like a banshee when you get in it, is very attractive. Especially if all of the upgrades can be done as bolt on's and make more power with than my Formula makes now, with just a CAI and pulley swap. I like the idea of having 500/500 to the rear and it sound just like my '86 GT with ORH and Flows. A serious blower swap can make 600 - 700 easy. All with stock internals...
You convinced me.....i'm sellin' the vette.....

where is the local ford dealership?

wait,

what am i sayin? You have a valid point, it doesn't take much to get those cars up to some sick hp.....however, they weigh too much and handle for ****. Plus they look like a v6 mustang w/ different rims. For a daily driven sports car, i will never, EVER go the ford route. The reason i say this is because my buddy had an 03 cobra w/ 600+ and the thing was breakin' down consistantly. Now he drives a new 04 cobra vert and it is staying stock.

much respect to all modded cars, but dyno numbers don't mean ****. cobra or Z06...... Z06 hands down better car in every sense of the word. bring on the flames

Old 11-02-2004 | 03:40 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Next Phase
much respect to all modded cars, but dyno numbers don't mean ****. cobra or Z06...... Z06 hands down better car in every sense of the word.
You won't get an argument from me. I know the Z06 is a better car, for handling, build quality, etc.. But some of us have families that like to go for rides in the car. A Vette doesn't work for that. Hence I have an F-Body now instead of a C5. However, you can't beat 600 - 700 RWHP with a blower swap and stock driveability out of an 03/04 Cobra. Don't get me wrong, I don't mean to focus on dyno numbers. I've long been a good driver who gets more out of a car that most people. But for the most part, I agree with what you posted...
Old 11-02-2004 | 03:54 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by DD966
When you get your real money, drop a supercharger in your Trans Am. I think you'll change your mind. It'd be cheaper than buying the Cobra (and faster too).
bullshit! i spent alot of money on supercharger and part's it's not that easy man trust me. im getting sick of it you have no idea how much money was spent on other part's you would think twice about saying something like that!
Old 11-02-2004 | 03:59 PM
Teching In

I have seen a few f-bodies with a sts turbo on almost stock engine and putting 600 or close to the wheels.
Old 11-02-2004 | 04:00 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 99-LS1-SS
Since this thread is being dragged up I am compelled to post in it. I'm sure most of you guys won't agree but here are my thoughts. I just sold my 99 SS with a mild stall and a 224R cam and bolt on's. My car was capable of running low 12's. The next step for me was a forged motor and then a transmission and then some sort of F/I turbo or supercharger. My car is an A4 and I don't like that aspect of it. I like rowing gears. Here is my logic:

My car with its current mods = ~$17,000 (bolt on’s and cam and exhaust)

Forged motor for my car = ~$4-5,000

LSX intake and TB = $1,300

Set of heads for my car = $2,000

Cam for my car = $400 (went too small for my first cam)

Supercharger for my car = $6,000 (choose either S/C or turbo)

Turbo for my car = $6,500

Transmission for my car level 5 = $2,000

Good converter for my car = $1,000 (the convert I have came with the car it isn’t one that I would choose)

Rear end for my car = $2,500

This doesn’t include labor for any of this. I don’t have the means or the time to install all of this equipment.

Total without labor = ~$37,000

Buy a ’03 Cobra = $25,000

Kenne Bell 2.2L supercharger kit (Blowzilla) = $3,700

55# Injectors = $600 (not necessary but recommended)

CAI = $300

Clutch = $1,200

Input shaft = $250

Level 5 axles = $1,600

100 shot of N20 = $1,000

I can install most of the items here.

Total without labor = ~$34,000

Both cars will put down around 600 hp (which is my goal) to the tires relatively reliably. Besides the price the Cobra has the edge IMO because those power levels can be obtained with the stock exhaust. That doesn’t seem like a big advantage to some of you but I am tired of driving a loud *** car around. I like to enjoy the radio and carry on a conversation with someone or even on the phone. Plus the Cobra will be much easier as a daily driver. (aside from being able to spin the tires at 70 mph)

I am aware that the SS would most likely be the faster of the two but it is still an A4. I don’t plan on going to the drag strip much at all.

Like I said I’m sure most of you won’t agree with my logic but guess what? You don’t have to buy a Cobra.
jesus!
Old 11-02-2004 | 07:54 PM
Administrator

Next Phase - You're absolutely clueless. I like that though. It's more fun for me when guys like you disappear in my rearview.

proof: https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-owners-newbie-tech/233790-ls6-vs-ls1.html

Have a great day!

Last edited by unit213; 11-02-2004 at 08:00 PM.
Old 11-02-2004 | 10:14 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 99-LS1-SS
I am tired of driving a loud *** car around. I like to enjoy the radio and carry on a conversation with someone or even on the phone. Plus the Cobra will be much easier as a daily driver. (aside from being able to spin the tires at 70 mph)
This is exactly what I am saying, well put. Those of us with loud exhaust/cam'd cars know what he's talking about...