Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Ouch. . .is there any way a miata can be fast?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2004, 05:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'm officially not doing anything to any car until i can get miata..and im putting a ls1 in it..i dont care

...here are 2 ls1 miatas...

http://www.diamondmotorsport.com/greenmiatas.htm

i also heard of a ls1 miata with headers adn catback doing a 10.4 sec 1/4 mile..
Old 10-20-2004, 05:56 PM
7 Second Club / STF Veteran

here is one a little quicker 10's and it's chevy powered
http://www.racingjunk.com/exec/ca/vi...-Drag-Car.html
Old 10-20-2004, 06:16 PM
STF Veteran

Originally Posted by Bowtiered
nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo stay GM!!!!

congrats on the baby, i wanna see that car before you sell it, sounds badass. what all mods does it have now, any dyno #s? and if so, where'd you get it dynoed?
It's not fast enough. It is good for low 12's in the 1/4 and high 7's in the 1/8. I have bolt ons with a cam and full exhaust. I got it dynoed in Durham at Carolina Auto Masters. Jeff Creech did it. He does a good job. My dyno numbers are a little low because I have an A4. My rwhp is around 365 and my rwtq is around 412. I would love to run it now with the weather getting cooler but I don't want to take a chance on breaking something. Plus my brother is going to buy it either this weekend or next week.
Old 10-20-2004, 07:32 PM
Teching In

A few years ago there was a guy in the Baton Rouge SCCA doing autocrosses all the time who had a 300+ hp (to the wheels) miata with a 4-banger. Granted it had one hell of a turbo on it. Pretty cool if you ask me. A 2000 lb, 300 hp roller skate.
Old 10-20-2004, 08:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Pardon the extreme late post on this, but I remember a couple years ago a buddy telling me about the "Monster Miata". Could be ordered with the Ford V8 and in different hp ranges up to 500+ hp. I've never had the pleasure of ever seeing one in person. This was before the Cobra R's....... A 500+ hp Miata would be the only one I would own and would imagine it to be a lot of fun..... If I remember, Ford 9 inch rear ends could be added to the package.
Old 10-21-2004, 11:16 AM
z98
TECH Fanatic

They used Thunderbird rearends.

IRS
Old 10-22-2004, 06:39 AM
sfj
TECH Enthusiast

Default mean miata

there is a miata in fort worth running 7's in the 1/8 mile so i have personally seen a pretty quick one 12.5 or lower qarter mile time aint that bad at all i would not want to mess with him anywho just putting my two cents in
Old 10-22-2004, 01:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have heard of a Miata owner dropping in a 350, I believe it was an LS1 (not sure). But that damn thing rapes some bad *** cars from what I hear.

They can be mean little ******* with the right mods.
Old 10-22-2004, 09:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by z98
They used Thunderbird rearends.

IRS
I stand (actually sit) corrected. They could be ordered with Thunderbird rear ends. Still think a Miata with 500+ hp would be a kick in the pants fun to drive.
Old 10-22-2004, 09:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea ive seen some turbo miatas around my area putting down anywhere from 260-360 HP and they area sooooooo fast with their weight advantage. Probably had some big mods so dont feel bad, just keep modding and whoop some *** next time!
Old 10-23-2004, 03:42 AM
On The Tree

theyve got monster and mega monster miatas, unless the one i saw was just one off the mega monster had a 460 in it. there wasnt any room left under the hood and the firewall looked to be moved, but nonetheless it looked awesome under the hood. and i dont even like fords.
Old 10-24-2004, 10:05 PM
TECH Resident

How fast is your truck? Ever ran it at the track? thos Big tires have to slow you down tremendously on the street...
Old 10-24-2004, 11:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

not that fast. maybe high 13s. porbably low 14s. haven't run it yet. probably won't for a little while. not for another $1000 atleast. (that's how i measure time) i need gears 4.10 ($400) th350 and np203 ($700) valve covers, the ones i got leak no matter what gaskets i use. i also need manual hubs and maybe a brake booster. but since i do all my own work it's not quite such a long ways away. I wouldn't mind a real exhaust either. and a nice set of roller rockers. oh and a passenger side inner fender. need to fab up a battery box, get a hood latch, u joint, wouldn't mind a paint job, but i'll run it without a paint job. need a drivers side vent glass. shift kit and manual valve body with floor shifter.

anywho- before i run it i basically need gears, transmission and transfer case.
Old 10-25-2004, 10:51 PM
TECH Regular

I know a guy who builds RX-7's and Rotary engines for Miata's and RX's. They can be fast. The Miata weighs next to nothing and would fit in the bed of my truck.

Yeah they can be fast. Normally they are chick cars and aren't used for that.
Old 10-26-2004, 01:15 PM
Teching In

well i know one of the miatas in my link has a ls1 with ls6 headers and a catback exhaust..it has 400hp and is doing high 10's trapping 140mph..

imagine a cam on that too
Old 10-26-2004, 01:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Dreadnaught
well i know one of the miatas in my link has a ls1 with ls6 headers and a catback exhaust..it has 400hp and is doing high 10's trapping 140mph..

imagine a cam on that too

did you mean ls6 MANIFOLDS or ls6 heads like from a z06... which really unworked are nothing special.

although i can see it going 10's the trapping at 140 mph is something i would have to see, because i am not believing that!
Old 01-24-2005, 10:18 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by DanSSull
Here in Colorado, near Aurora to be specific there is a Miata with a V8, it has some upper 300's in horses. It sounds like a beast for looking like such a Miata.

Sucks to be killed by it, but in the end he still drives a Miata.
Hey! I drive a Miata. In fact, I have two. I played a lot with Vettes but I have to say the Miata is one heck of a car. Those who put it down, haven't driven one.

There is a good reason it is the most successful roadster EVER BUILT.

One of Miatas ( a 99) is mostly stock with only headers and an intake kit, but even here in Colordo it does 0-60 in 7.2 seconds. Handling is second to none. Not bad at 6000 feet elevation.

The other has an LS1 in it with an LS6 valvetrain/Cam. They handle like a dream and I've pulled 1.06 lateral G's in it. With Goodyear Eagle F1's (255's) it is in the low 4 seconds and that's only because it's so easy to break traction and spin free. I plan on adding traction control.

At 2500 pounds and over 400 HP including the LS1 engine and a 4L60E, a stock Camaro or even a moderately modified camaro has no hope. Hell, a viper has no hope.

Power to weight ratio for the car is incredible putting it up there with most supercars.

So what is it that you don't like about driving a miata. The double wishbone suspension, the perfect 50 - 50 weight distribution, the independant rear suspension, the fact that they practically need their own class for autocross, the superstiff chassis, the handling or the fact that its a convertable that is small, cute and cuddly right up until leaves you wondering, "What happened?"

Forget the LS1 in mine. Many are turbo charged and supercharged producing in excess of 300 HP. Couple that with their weight and you have combination that's pretty tough to beat.

Maybe I'm a bit different in that I can appreciate a variety of different cars. Hell, I even like Fiats.

The following are a bunch of pictures of the initial buildup.

http://www.sammichael.net/ftp

So lets take it easy on the Miata drivers. We're here, we're lean, get use to it!

Sam.
Old 01-24-2005, 10:40 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by samgm2
Hey! I drive a Miata. In fact, I have two. I played a lot with Vettes but I have to say the Miata is one heck of a car. Those who put it down, haven't driven one.

There is a good reason it is the most successful roadster EVER BUILT.

One of Miatas ( a 99) is mostly stock with only headers and an intake kit, but even here in Colordo it does 0-60 in 7.2 seconds. Handling is second to none. Not bad at 6000 feet elevation.

The other has an LS1 in it with an LS6 valvetrain/Cam. They handle like a dream and I've pulled 1.06 lateral G's in it. With Goodyear Eagle F1's (255's) it is in the low 4 seconds and that's only because it's so easy to break traction and spin free. I plan on adding traction control.

At 2500 pounds and over 400 HP including the LS1 engine and a 4L60E, a stock Camaro or even a moderately modified camaro has no hope. Hell, a viper has no hope.

Power to weight ratio for the car is incredible putting it up there with most supercars.

So what is it that you don't like about driving a miata. The double wishbone suspension, the perfect 50 - 50 weight distribution, the independant rear suspension, the fact that they practically need their own class for autocross, the superstiff chassis, the handling or the fact that its a convertable that is small, cute and cuddly right up until leaves you wondering, "What happened?"

Forget the LS1 in mine. Many are turbo charged and supercharged producing in excess of 300 HP. Couple that with their weight and you have combination that's pretty tough to beat.

Maybe I'm a bit different in that I can appreciate a variety of different cars. Hell, I even like Fiats.

The following are a bunch of pictures of the initial buildup.

http://www.sammichael.net/ftp

So lets take it easy on the Miata drivers. We're here, we're lean, get use to it!

Sam.
Have any hp #'s or track times?? Sweet setup you've got there.
Old 01-24-2005, 10:42 PM
TECH Resident

Miata's are slower than a drunk snail. They are like little cutesy toys for old people and young girls. The only reason the one is fast is b/c you put one of our motors in it lol! And when you did that, out the door when that perfect 50/50 weight distribution you speak of!
Old 01-24-2005, 10:47 PM
TECH Resident

LS1 miata's will most def haul ***.

Quick Reply: Ouch. . .is there any way a miata can be fast?