Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

What is the story if you get caught street racing?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2004, 03:56 PM
z98
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There has been one car impounded and crushed for street racing, and it was a publicity stunt mostly.

It was a 3rd gen camaro IIRC.
Old 12-03-2004, 05:18 PM
Launching!

Each State Deals With The "street Racing" In Different Ways. It Is True That In California If Your Caught "illegaly Street Racing" You Will Be Arrested And Your Licence Will Be Suspended As Well As Fines Of Course And They Will Impound The Car And Crush It. However There Needs To Be A Lot Of Evidence That The Driver Was In Fact Racing. (i.e The Driver Was At The Street Races). Or Else Its Very Hard To Prove.

I Wasnt Racing Him Officer.. We Both Were Just Obvioulsy Speeding At The Same Time
Old 12-03-2004, 08:40 PM
12 Second Club

How the hell can the cops take my car and destroy it? I payed for it and I still own it that would be grand theft auto in my books. I dont believe that law at all unless the state you live in is really bad with laws.
Old 12-03-2004, 11:18 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by mustgofasster
Each State Deals With The "street Racing" In Different Ways. It Is True That In California If Your Caught "illegaly Street Racing" You Will Be Arrested And Your Licence Will Be Suspended As Well As Fines Of Course And They Will Impound The Car And Crush It. However There Needs To Be A Lot Of Evidence That The Driver Was In Fact Racing. (i.e The Driver Was At The Street Races). Or Else Its Very Hard To Prove.

I Wasnt Racing Him Officer.. We Both Were Just Obvioulsy Speeding At The Same Time

If he posts like that, can I post in wingdings?
Old 12-03-2004, 11:31 PM
NKAWTG...N

Originally Posted by Sinner
If he posts like that, can I post in wingdings?
lol! so true
Old 12-04-2004, 05:45 AM
sfj
TECH Enthusiast

someone was kind enough to inform me that i am dumb about the points in TX but i am still unfamiliar with them and if someone would again be kind enough to elaborate that would be great other than the fact the we have them like what do they do and etc...
Old 12-04-2004, 10:00 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by sfj
someone was kind enough to inform me that i am dumb about the points in TX but i am still unfamiliar with them and if someone would again be kind enough to elaborate that would be great other than the fact the we have them like what do they do and etc...
At fault accidents are usually 3 points
Most tickets are 2 points, except for vehicular homicide, thats 4 points.
DUI is irronically only 1 point...........................dont ask why, I dont know why.
some states have laws where after the first 2 at fault accidents, they are 6 points, then 9 points, and so on. Each state has different laws.
I have seen some policies that have drivers with 45 points and things like that.
Old 12-04-2004, 11:07 AM
sfj
TECH Enthusiast

thank you ever so much that helps tremendously
Old 12-04-2004, 01:11 PM
11 Second Club

The points add up on your insurance at least i think that is what everyone is talking aboiut. My wreck got my 5 points on my insureance and I have three others for speeding and running a stop sign If this isnt what you guys are talking about I suppose we dont have that stuff here.

As for drag racing I know a guy in memphis who got caught racing and took it to court with a lawyer and they gave him a choice to pay court cost and either parole or reduce the fine to a speeding ticket. Each choice a different rout and the speeding ticket was cheaper. I think it was like $50 plus like $200 court cost and then the parole chargers where like $200 lol. I suppose he didnt know about them.

Here we have been chased off several times but I have never seen anyone caught. One of the guys I race with did get caught and they let him off after bitching at him. Another time they caught one guy and basically was the same as a dui. Another time a guy got caught and had some fines and was but on probation.

Another I have heard about was some sheriffs come buy and caught some guys about to start racing and just said " What are you crazy guys doing out here racing your little honda's " lol Told them to take their *** home before they get in some trouble.

Another time I was there and a sherrif come by and we are all in a parking lot and I know he knew what we were doing because he said a woman at the store called and complained. He we had to leave unless the owner was there which he was so he left and we kept racing

Another time this guy who knows a cop set up a roll race past the cop and got them both pulled over to let the guy he was racing **** in his pants lol. Obviously nothing happened.

Kinda long but basically it depends on the state, location in the state and what officers caught you.
Old 12-04-2004, 04:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It's really bad here in Az. A few years ago there was a string of deaths so they really cracked down on it. You spend a few nights in jail, massive fines, impound your car, and you get enough points to lose your license for at least 6 months. They actually arrested my friend for street racing and there was no one even next to him. He did a boost launch for a friend and wasn't even racing anyone. He had to hire a lawyer for 2 grand, but he kept his license. They have this rule here were they can call it street racing for time, if your watch literally has a second hand on it they can arrest you for street racing for times. Then they add on excessive acceleration, display of speed, and endangerment.
Old 12-04-2004, 04:58 PM
Staging Lane

let's all thank the import crowd for strict street racing law's
Old 12-04-2004, 05:02 PM
TECH Junkie

The cops respect a real car here, the "tuners" are hit hard though. Attitude when someone is stopped is a big thing too.
Old 12-04-2004, 06:21 PM
RIP April 14, 2008

Location: the land where cars repeatedly hit my bumper when I'm in the store...

anyone know anything about Pa or Phladephia? I run guys out on I95 occasionally, never had a problem. especially at night when the philly cops nver come too far outta the center city area.

I know in my area, Bensalem, the cops almost never give any corvette / camaro guys any guff. My g/f has a 94 25th anniversary TA and she burned out at five/six lights the other night with cop two cars behind her. he eventually did pull her over for supposedly doing 75 in a 45 zone. (she was prolly doing like 90 knowing her) but I drove over there (i was in my car, but we had gotten seperated by some traffic lights) and the cop told her he didnt want to pull her over but 75 was a little too high for him, and that he had enjoyed her displays since old lincoln highway. (couple lights back) but man ricers get nailed all the time lol. I swear i saw this same dude in this ugly *** green car/thing pulled over twice in a week. lol

pretty hot eh? maybe jsut cause SHE's hot. lol

brad
Old 12-04-2004, 07:55 PM
11 Second Club

Ok sounds like guys have a points system to get your license taken away??? How many does it take ect. am i on the right track here? I dont think we have that but i dont know.
Old 12-04-2004, 08:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jdustu
it's different state to state and even county to county.....down in detroit there is an area that not only impounds your car, but the only way you can get it back is by winning it back in an auction.......

one thing that is universal:
I've never heard of that.

But I have heard of some people getting drag racing tickets... pretty nasty stuff.

Of course, I have also had a cop stop me for doing a blatant burnout and he ended up letting me off ... but that was in the Woodward Dream Cruise.

California just passed a bunch of new laws where they can and will crush your car for street racing.
Old 12-04-2004, 08:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sfj
maybe it is just me but if i am still paying for a car that gets sold in an auction i am not going to continue paying for it while someone else is driving the **** around because they won it in an auction and if i am missing something and am a bumb@$$ please feel free to inform me
Dont believe it? Go race your car over just south of Flint, Michigan. You wont be hard to spot....you will be the one in tears after they take away your pride and joy.

There is a county over there that has a law that they can take away your car, and you pretty much have no chance of getting it back. Story was in Hot Rod Magazine a little over a year ago. It was all about the old street race scene in the Southeast Michigan area.

I'm sure they'd make good use of it though....probably screw some lights, sirens, and a shotgun rack on it to chase down more people who get the urge for a little innocent race on deserted industrial roads.
Old 12-04-2004, 09:19 PM
14 Second Truck Club

I got caught here in Chicago about 10 yrs ago. It was a huge pain. Had to go to criminal court instead of traffic. Hired a lawyer, and the cop didnt even show. Judge ordered a continuance 4 times and the cop never came. He was going to order the cop to come the next time around, but we pleaded down to speeding. My friend who was caught with me got away clean because he didnt have as many previous tickets as me. I am very leary about street racing nowadays, but we have an industrial area near here that I go to when I am called out. Been caught back there, but they just send you home with a warning unless you are a complete jag.
Old 12-05-2004, 01:05 AM
Staging Lane

I got caught last February for Drag Racing. It sucked. The cops were cool about it though. I respected them and apologized and whatnot. My record was clean until then...but they gave me the ticket and let me drive my car home. I took a lawyer and right now I am under advisement for one year. If I dont get anymore tickets it will either be completely wiped off or just recieve a speeding. So far im good for now. Hopefully my idiocy doesnt go overboard again.
Old 12-05-2004, 01:46 AM
11 Second Club

I know if you get caught killing a deer that your not suppose to or out of season they can take away your guns and truck here so im sure they could take away your care for racing. I dont think they would crush a car when they can make money off of it or use it for a police car.
Old 12-06-2004, 11:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Seems like it varies a lot from place to place. It can be really subjective,on the cop's part,too. They can write anything on the ticket so court would be the only recourse unless you want to take all of that.
Once,on the Joisy Toinpike we got pulled over and the state cop said "you were racing". My friend was driving a 57 Chevy,327-350,4-spd...the other car was a 6 cyl Maverick (this was a long time ago) which was riding next to us. He was looking over like he wanted to race (dorky-had driving gloves on) but my friend just laughed and maintained his speed. The 57 was ugly and looked like it had nothing-the Maverick was new. I thought of telling the cop that it would not have been a "race" but he was a a-hole type.
We were E-3s in the Army and making about 120 a month but it made no difference to a guy like that cop. There are a lot of SOBs who just want to get money from you.
Both drivers got speeding tickets,if I remember right. The speed limit was 60 and he usually drove about 70.

Last edited by shandy294; 12-07-2004 at 08:31 AM.

Quick Reply: What is the story if you get caught street racing?