Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Taught a lesson to 2 guys in a 350z

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2005, 10:27 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1blackz28
Mike no more talking for you. Think about the way you sound if you want heated seats and navi get a lexus or something. Damn I was going to buy fast car but I want some gay **** instead.

Sorry for your vette owner friends. Lack of power would not justify handling.
Go drive an S2000 someitme and tell me that's not a fun car to drive. Shrug not everybody needs a 10 second car.

Hell if all I wanted was a fast car which by your logic I should. Then I Should just go pick up an old fox body mustang slap a supercharger on it and have a nice fast car for cheap.

May as well throw out the regular c5 since it's really no faster then a camaro or firebird and actually has a worse rear end for drag racing so it's a useless car right?

Again your just as bad as jet is by making stuck up petty judgment over stupid things. because I prefer heated seats in my cars I must not enjoy sports cars. It's a nice luxury feature and damn look at that it's included in the new c6.

I'm sorry I can't enjoy driving a boulder even a fast boulder. My step brother has a nice supercharged 5.0 that were waiting on him to get a new pair of slicks so he should be able to hit 11's somewhere. Hard to judge right now since he pretty much has no traction up until 3rd gear. Fast little car but can't do anything other thne go straight I got bored driving it quick.
Old 11-06-2005, 10:47 AM
TECH Resident

Mike00,
Just my .02, but if you can afford it, get a nice used Z06 still under warranty and just buy an extended GM warranty. Thats what I did. I just purchased 4 yrs of additional GMPP major guard protection for $1200. I am sure it would be nice to have a navigation system and heated seats, but you can just buy a nav system for the Z. other than that, the Z06 is 3X the car a 350Z is. Trust me. I have been in both. No comparison. Once you own a C5, especially the Z06, you won't want to own anything else anywhere near its price range. Just an amazing all around car. Think about it. They are capable of 11's bone stock, they are world class handlers, incredible braking, incredible balance, they have the nice V8 growl, they are beautiful, they have a great heritage, and on top of that they are very practical b/c they are very comfy and smooth, very reliable, and get 30mpg on the highway. I am in love with the car. i discovered first hand it's not all hype. The ONLY possible complaint for some people is the interior, but for the record I love the interior. The layout and placement of everything and comfort is superb. You can always buy some aftermarket items to 'spruce' it up if need be.
Old 11-06-2005, 10:55 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by KB99WS6
Mike00,
Just my .02, but if you can afford it, get a nice used Z06 still under warranty and just buy an extended GM warranty. Thats what I did. I just purchased 4 yrs of additional GMPP major guard protection for $1200. I am sure it would be nice to have a navigation system and heated seats, but you can just buy a nav system for the Z. other than that, the Z06 is 3X the car a 350Z is. Trust me. I have been in both. No comparison. Once you own a C5, especially the Z06, you won't want to own anything else anywhere near its price range. Just an amazing all around car. Think about it. They are capable of 11's bone stock, they are world class handlers, incredible braking, incredible balance, they have the nice V8 growl, they are beautiful, they have a great heritage, and on top of that they are very practical b/c they are very comfy and smooth, very reliable, and get 30mpg on the highway. I am in love with the car. i discovered first hand it's not all hype. The ONLY possible complaint for some people is the interior, but for the record I love the interior. The layout and placement of everything and comfort is superb. You can always buy some aftermarket items to 'spruce' it up if need be.
I was tryign to set my limit for a car up to 30,000 but prefered to stay around 25k. Still maybe if I just wait till spring and save a couple more grand I can go with a 02 z06. It seems like there are a few for about 28-29k out there. With purchasing an extended warranty what is the deal with the requirements for this?

Your post is one I can respect no need to bash another car and to be honest I had been leaning towards a vette anyway. Quite a few FRC's with under 25,000 miles for about 23-24k. Though you might be right in that I should just spend the extre 4-5k and grab a Z06. Though it sounds like I should stay away from the 01's.
Old 11-06-2005, 11:01 AM
TECH Regular

I agree, wait on a Z06 night and day between a regular Vette. We got our 02 for $35K with only 8K miles on it. If you get slightly higher miles obviously you can find one cheaper.
Old 11-06-2005, 11:36 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Mike00
I was tryign to set my limit for a car up to 30,000 but prefered to stay around 25k. Still maybe if I just wait till spring and save a couple more grand I can go with a 02 z06. It seems like there are a few for about 28-29k out there. With purchasing an extended warranty what is the deal with the requirements for this?
To purchase an extended warranty, the car must currently be under warranty (either original or extended) and have at least 3 months left in the coverage.

Originally Posted by Mike00
Your post is one I can respect no need to bash another car and to be honest I had been leaning towards a vette anyway. Quite a few FRC's with under 25,000 miles for about 23-24k. Though you might be right in that I should just spend the extre 4-5k and grab a Z06. Though it sounds like I should stay away from the 01's.
The only issue with the 01's is some had oil consumption issues. BUT a lot of people had them re-ringed under warranty. Other's had no issues with oil consumption. There is a list of changes made to the 02, but nothing really major. If you can get a deal one and the car has either already been re-ringed or has not been re-ringed but is still under warranty...or else has no oil consumption issues, I wouldn't hesitate to buy an 01 Z06. I have been a member of the corvette forum since 03 and I have read MANY threads about the differences from the 01's to the 02's & up and they do have the exta 20hp but tangibly there is little to no difference between the 01's and the 02+'s. Here's one of the latest threads discussing it a little:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...post1552684708

I got one of the best deals ever on a showroom new 01 Z06 and didn't hesitate to scoop it up, especially since it was still under warranty.

With winter coming you should definitely be able to score a good deal on a Z06. You just have to constantly look, b/c the great deals go fast! I was lucky enough to be the first to respond to the for sale ad on mine over on corvette forum. What ensued after that was a thread with a coupel hundred responses...people arguing over the car, people offering the guy even more $$ for the car...other thinking there's got to be something wrong with it at that price etc etc, but the guy honored that I was first in line, sold it to me for the original asking price and the car turned out to be perfect and I got an amazing deal. I had been looking for months, checking the forum for sale section like every 15 minutes every day, lol. Point is if you're dedicated to it, you can find really great deals to be well within or under your budget.

Good luck!
Old 11-06-2005, 11:40 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good kill!

I cant get them to look at me , must be the dumps and huge cam , skinnies etc??? I saw a guy driving like he was John Force from every light until I pulled next to him and then he drove slow??
Old 11-06-2005, 11:45 AM
TECH Regular

^ Lol, I love it when peolpe are doing that and you pull up and all of a sudden its like you pulled up in a cop car
Old 11-06-2005, 11:47 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 5.0 and the LT1 and the LS1 are some of the bet bang for the buck performance cars in history (yes the LS1 isfaster,but it wasnt around in 87). As to the 224 cam being choppy, yeah, it has a bit of a lope to it, sounds really nice when its warmed up and idling around 750.
Old 11-06-2005, 12:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JETPILOT
Bow down the the mighty LS1. I have an 87 Buick GN with 800 miles on it. I got talked into bringing it down the Englishtown and running it. Stock in 101 degree heat on sh@t Goodyear 215 tires ran a 13.49. In the scales with me in it it weight 3892 lbs.
I am confused.... are you defending your 350z or trying to argue something else?

People with no leg to stand on ALWAYs resort to character assasination.

If you weren't such losers boasting
This one made me laugh... first you say people without an arguement resort to character assasination, and then immediately following you call us losers..... hmmmm

Z's are contenders in straight line accelration. Throw in someturns and your finished. As stated above, throw some money into the suspension and you could be a contender in a road course. Well if we throw some money into the Z we will smoke a LS1 Camaro/Trans Am. A Z @ $30,000 plus a Turbonetics single turbo kit on street tires will run mid 12's. Get some tuning, and it will run over 500 rwhp before the lower end lets go.
Look man, we all understand that if you throw money into anything it can be a contender. I got my *** whipped by a turbo honda hatch back. More power to him. Spend $1500 on a fbody and you can have a handling beast. Dont believe me, ask Sam Strano.

These cars are built for different things, but with the right person with the right amount of money, you can easily modify them to be something else. We are all car enthusiasts and realize that.

Yes the Z06 around the 'Ring (if this is what you are reffering to) is a fast lapper. Yes it has pushrods and leaf springs. Last time I checked it doesn't have a solid rear axle, and stamped steel suspension components.
IRS isnt exactly ground breaking technology, and neither are OHCs..... You are correct about the stamped steel suspension however and definitely doesnt have a solid rear axle. If you are knocking the fbody for having it then you should go and read up on the fbody a little more, and then realize what the car was built for. It was built with an emphasis on straighline acceleration and a goal of decent handling. It was not intended to be a world class turner......thats the vette's job.

You might as well and call the fbody a piece of **** because it doesnt have the refinement of a luxury car. The fbody was built to fit in a specific niche.... and it does it well.... if you cant recognize that then brush up on your fbody education. The 350 was built for something else as well..... dont get mad if it gets beat in a straight line.... thats not what its built for. 350Z owners didnt seem to be too butt hurt when I put the big hurt on them in my SRT. They were just racing out of their element.

We have enough youth.... how about a fountain of smart.
Same to you. If you really came to this forum to spread the word on the 350z, then you picked the wrong avenue, and the wrong venue. First this is the street kills forum. It is filled with many biased a holes, and for the most part you have to take everything said in here with a grain of salt. If you cant do that then you dont belong in this forum. Second this is a LS1tech forum.... just about everyone here is biased towards their vehicles..... keep that in mind... it happens on every car forum. third..... tossing out insults and what not gets you nowhere.

Good luck on spreading the word on the 350. Most car enthusiasts love it and recognize its potential.
Old 11-06-2005, 01:21 PM
TECH Addict

Mike00 def get a vette if you can, its night and day between an f-body or a 350Z, totally different category of car. One of my best friends just got an 02 z06 and many I cant believe how much better it is than an f-body. It just feels much better driving one. If the vette is ruled out at any point and its between a 350z and an f-body then its a coin flip on whether you want a faster car (f-body) or an all-around good performer (350z). I have friends with 350z's, and they are nice, but again as someone already stated if your looking at a brand new 350z or a slightly used 350z your going to be paying 24k+ for it, which could easily get you into a C5. I say hold off and wait and get the vette, either z06 or c5, you wont be dissapointed. Also, jetpilot, your a tool and probably already have been banned but if not then go drive your 350z off a cliff.
Old 11-06-2005, 01:27 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 98Z28MASS
Mike00 def get a vette if you can, its night and day between an f-body or a 350Z, totally different category of car. One of my best friends just got an 02 z06 and many I cant believe how much better it is than an f-body. It just feels much better driving one. If the vette is ruled out at any point and its between a 350z and an f-body then its a coin flip on whether you want a faster car (f-body) or an all-around good performer (350z). I have friends with 350z's, and they are nice, but again as someone already stated if your looking at a brand new 350z or a slightly used 350z your going to be paying 24k+ for it, which could easily get you into a C5. I say hold off and wait and get the vette, either z06 or c5, you wont be dissapointed. Also, jetpilot, your a tool and probably already have been banned but if not then go drive your 350z off a cliff.

That's probably what I'm going to do. I had really been decided on a 99-00 FRC. Quite a few with low miles for 22-24k. But I've been looking now at some Z06 and I've found a quite a few 01-02 with only about 30k miles on them ranging from 27-29k. I figure I may as well wait till feburary have an extra 5k to put down and just go with that. And it might have 10-15k more miles on it but I'll be doing a max of 10-13k a year on the car so I may as well get the Z06 which I would prefer anyway and jsut try and find one where I can get that Diamond Warranty I seem to remember it being 10 years or something like that (not familiar with chevy I've always owned foriegn). Oh well either way I think I'll probably go test drive a vette soon and maybe for the hell of it hop behind a 350z and s2000 to see the differences and feelings first hand.
Old 11-06-2005, 01:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This board is full of a whole bunch of narrow-minded Fbod owners. I love Fbods, and I hope to own one, but you cannot call a stock 350Z rice. It simply isn't. It's an amzing vehicle handles turns great and it's no slouch in a straight line. stock for stock it is only marginally slower than the LS1 and you people are calling it a piece of ****. Look at the facts and quit pretending your cars are the greatest on the road. Just about every point JETs made is valid and you guys refuse to pay attention because he's defending a car that isn't a Camaro.

Wise up, you're like a bunch of kids. The 350Z is more expensive, it's a bit slower, it's japanese made, and it definitely tends to be owned by young idiots or middle aged adults driving it for status. Every car targets a group, just because the Camaro targets you, doesn't mean you should hate every car that doesn't. JET seems to understand this, as do I but you're just a bunch of pompous asses.
Old 11-06-2005, 02:12 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree somewhat with MPE, although, the Z misses its target. It is the same price as the S2000 and handles worse and has much worse build quality, it is more expensive than the Mustang GT and is slower. So...which group did it hit? Its shoddily built and lumbers liek a tank compared to the S2000 and slow compared to the mustang GT.
Old 11-06-2005, 02:13 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Stanger88
I agree somewhat with MPE, although, the Z misses its target. It is the same price as the S2000 and handles worse and has much worse build quality, it is more expensive than the Mustang GT and is slower. So...which group did it hit? Its shoddily built and lumbers liek a tank compared to the S2000 and slow compared to the mustang GT.
Your forgetting the group that wants handling with some torque. I've seen a lot of s2000 drivers who lose their s saying that from a stop light to stop light the Z they tested was a fun car. The point of the Z is to get a bit from both worlds. Not the best in either but you get handling with some torquiness.

S2000 is fun but you do have to rev it to 8000rpm to really get the speed going.
Old 11-06-2005, 02:17 PM
TECH Resident

mpe, maybe you need to read the entire thread since Jet popped. Although I agree he made some valid points, he also made a LOT of asinine comments as well. I agree the 350Z is a nice car and anyone calling it a POS is just talking out there ***, but lets face it, this is a street racing forum and the car is quite a bit slower than an LS1 Fbody. I don't know where you guys get off acting like it's close. I also hate when people act like the Fbody can't handle at all. Its a decent handling car. It's not the best in transitions, but it holds the road quite well. Not to bring up the throw the money at it thing, but it doesn't take much at all to gte the car to handle VERY well. As Sporklover said, just as Sam Strano.

Bottom line is credit should be given to both cars where credit is do. I disagree with the people discrediting either car in areas where credit is clearly due. And I don't think people should exxagerate on either the negative or positive aspects of either car.
Old 11-06-2005, 03:30 PM
TECH Addict

yea Mike00 if you can hold of def do it, and by all means take the 350z and the s2000 for a test drive, you might really like the feel of either one and its all in your prefernce, not anyone elses. I havent been in/driven an s2000, but I have been in a few v-tec powered vehicles and they are fun to drive, but as everyone has stated you need to really push them hard to get the most out of them. As for the 350z, its def a well-rounded vehicle, I just couldnt see spending that much money when you could get a used vette with low miles for the same price. Now if they had made the 350z all-wheel drive then I could def see buying one as I think they are pretty sleek looking cars and perform well. Also, I agree with KB99Ws6, so many people who dont own an f-body are under the impression that they handle like ****, which isnt the case at all. If you have an SS or WS6 with the upgraded slp suspension from the factory then they handle pretty damn well IMO and with only a few ungrades (such as LCA's, subframes, STB, etc) they will handle extremely well. And yea the 350z is not a real close competitor speed wise with an ls1 powered vehicle. I have had 3 experiences racing friends with 350z's and it hasnt been close. The first one I raced I was completely stock as was he and from a 45mph roll race I walked him pretty hard in the upper rpms from 80mph up. The other two had catbacks and I had the mods in my sig and it was the same, me walking them as the mph/rpms increased. All 3 hung pretty well but it wasnt as close as the magazines said (and I hate magazine racing, just making a point). In the end again its all personal preference, but if I had the money to spend and I really wanted an import and not a v-8 id go and get an STI or EVO VIII personally as they will both outperform the 350z and have awd. Good luck though with your decision Mike00 but I really hope you end up with a frc or a z06!
Old 11-06-2005, 03:38 PM
Teching In

I love the LS1 Motor, and I love the Formula body with the LS1. It's a really sweet car, and is really fast in a traight line. Buid quality is a big issure for me with these cars. Yes I have driven one. It was a lot of fun, but the build quality was such an issue that I couod never own one, and I wanted much better handling.

Is the Z rice? No Waay. Can it be riced up? Oh yeah. What's rice? Sponsor stickers, ground effects kits, big wing's, neon lights, etc. The build quality in the Z is top notch although they do use cheaper than prefferd materials. But the Z car has a price point. The chasis is as tight as they come.

S2000??? The car is lacking torque and needs to rev to 9000 rpm to make horsepower. Handling is amazing.

The Evo, STi from a dead stop are even with the Z in the 1/4 slight advantage to the Evo. From a roll it's a Z all the way.

From a dead stop Z vs. LS1. It's a drivers race if not a slight advantage to the LS1.

05-06 Mustang from a dead stop again it's a drivers race.

The Z is a geat compromise of motor and handling, and does so at a great price. Is it rice, and get walked on all over by a LS1? No way. It deserves some respect just as the Vette, the Grand National, STi, Evo, SRT4, SRT6, SRT8, S2000, Mustang. Pick one you can't go wrong. They all do something well. If everyone liked the same things there would only be vanilla ice cream. The talking sh*t can get out of hand unless someone keeps things in check, and I'm here to interject a dose of reality to an otherwise few misinformed individuals who need to come to their senses.

Respect
JET

Last edited by JETPILOT; 11-06-2005 at 03:47 PM.
Old 11-06-2005, 03:49 PM
10 Second Club

Z is not rice but a comfy/sporty car! They tend not to be fast even with mods!(not every case)
Old 11-06-2005, 03:55 PM
Teching In

Sigh I love the Z and the look but it's no where close to an Ls1 driver race in the 1/4. Fastest stock Z I know of did a 13.6 1/4 mile. Respectable that hardly touches the fact that it's quite common to hit 13.3 and even less in a ls1.

98Z28MASS I agree and I think I'm going to end up with a Vette. Either way I'll go with an FRC at least but I'm wondering if I'll be happier waiting till the new year or so and picking up an 02 Z06 or maybe an 01 if I find a good deal. I do agree I love the lines of a 350Z and yes I do think they should of gave it some more power also but it still turned out pretty nice anyway.

yes you can definitly imrpove on the handling of a camaro or firebird but a solid rear end is going to limit how much you can improve upon. It's never goign to handle as a well a Vette, Z, or S2000 but that's ok it wasn't designed for it. Theres a reason why camaros and firebirds tend to make a great drag car.
Old 11-06-2005, 04:16 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by JETPILOT
The Evo, STi from a dead stop are even with the Z in the 1/4 slight advantage to the Evo. From a roll it's a Z all the way.

From a dead stop Z vs. LS1. It's a drivers race if not a slight advantage to the LS1.
Again, what are you smoking?