Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Sti.... Ouch

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2005, 03:38 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the comments guys... those mods are in my car... and Envy is my little brother... This guy is talking mad **** about my car (the typical ricer ****: you're heavy blah blah blah) I told him that he wouldn't have a snowball's chance in hell if he was serious.

Today I found out that this guy was saying he ran high 11's stock... I've never seen any time slips from him. He also said that he pulled a h/c Z06 by 2 1/2 cars. So as I stated before.. this guy talks alot of **** and hasn't proved anything to me. When I get my car back ( blew up the friction plate on my Spec 3) I will race him and it will be on video so I can humilate him in front of all his friends. His almighty STi will bow to the power of the LS1
Old 03-17-2005, 03:51 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Envy
I was thinking about racing an STI. He's completely stock and says he could whoop my ***. Here are the mods on our car Mods:

Suspension:
*Intrax 2" lowering springs
*BMR Lower control arms
*BMR bolt-in relocation brackets
*Wolfe weld in roll bar, chromoly...professionally installed and painted to match interior

Drivetrain:
*4.10 GM gears, professionally installed
*TA girdle
*Spec Stage III clutch (approx 3K on clutch)

Engine:
*Stage III ported Total Engine Airflow heads...6.0l heads, 2.02/1.60 valves, dual spring, milled to 11:1 comp. (I have the flow sheet for these and they flow 300cfm at .550 lift...probably the best investment made on this car!)
*Comp custom grind cam 224/230 .554 lift 114LSA (fairly mild cam, ground more for nitrous than motor)
*hand ported holley intake
*MAC headers, ORYP
*Custom flowmaster exhaust, chrome tips, cut-out
*hardened pushrods
*direct-flo lid and k&n filter

Others:
*hurst short throw shifter
*custom box in t-top area w/two 12's (match the color of the car) w/amp
*rear blackouts
*Taylor plug wires

Who do you think will win?
holu **** man...what kinda numbers are u puttin down?
Old 03-17-2005, 03:57 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by SStheBest
holu **** man...what kinda numbers are u puttin down?
Enough
Old 03-17-2005, 04:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Stock STis are 101-103 trap speeds - you hit a seriously modded one. Which I will be shortly.

My STi is undergoing some major modifications (which are suprisingly not that expensive), and should be pushing low 400s to the wheels. In a low geared AWD 3200 pound car, that should be low to mid 11s. People with similar mods are running low to mid 11s, even on all season radials!

To get an STi faster than this one has to go to forged internals, a rotated mount turbo, and upgrade the axles so that they don't break (the transmission will take it though). Some freaks who are doing this are getting 10s now (how bout a 10.4 at 137 http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=732204 ), though are still not that many of them. I think in about a year there will probably be far more STis getting into the tens as more and more adopt these type of setups.

I have to admit that I still prefer big torque LSx family motors, but this turbo 4-banger stuff is kind of fun in its own way. Especially when no one expects it.
Old 03-17-2005, 08:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TexasLT4
Enough
you list every single mod on your car, yet you are secretive about the power numbers?? wtf
Old 03-17-2005, 08:17 PM
Launching!

I ran an sti from a dig, he ripped me out of the whole but i caught up to him and was about to pass him when he threw his flashers on. We didn't even hit th 1/4 mile mark. BUt pretty impressed none the less. This guy was spraying those cold air cans into his intercooler. I asked if he wanted to run again and he gave us some excuse that he messed up his car. At first he wanted to run for some cash but his attitude changed. He looked under my hood but he didn't want to open his. Sopmeone said he was squeezing, but who knows. Those sti's are pretty fast.
Old 03-17-2005, 08:24 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by EightBallWS6
you list every single mod on your car, yet you are secretive about the power numbers?? wtf
Sorry bout that, that was my little brother being retarded.... I made 402hp/368tq... the heads need more cubes to to use them properly, the cam I have in there is a nitrous cam.... and it's choking the heads.
Old 03-17-2005, 08:51 PM
Staging Lane

hey guys-my buddie has an STI and i got an 02 ss........the one u raced was not stock. those cars are easy to make faster than stock. i don't care what he has done, take him on the highway(as long as ur speed limiter is off), and race him from 70-170. he will understand why he should have got an ls1, and you won't have to push ur's to 170
Old 03-17-2005, 09:41 PM
TECH Junkie

from everything i have read, a fairly stock STi really runs out of steam at the higher speeds. from a roll they aren't very difficult. but mods are easy and quickly boost the power very high. i would of gotten one if i could of afforded it, but 30k doulbe what i paid. i wanted it for rally though
Old 03-18-2005, 09:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

I know it wasn't stock. I've taken my car to 176 and i know about what it take but to be beat from 100-140 that bad by an AWD Car is sick specially since he can choose to go to his 20-80 split. I give the guy mad props for his car i just wish i knew what he had under the hood. Oh well i've seen him a few times since then and i should have a lovely surprise of him in about 2-3 month. Do you all think a t-76 pushing 16lbs of boost into a forged 370ci motor should be ebough to get his attention... :-)
Old 03-18-2005, 10:09 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by WeatherGuy
Stock STis are 101-103 trap speeds - you hit a seriously modded one. Which I will be shortly.

My STi is undergoing some major modifications (which are suprisingly not that expensive), and should be pushing low 400s to the wheels. In a low geared AWD 3200 pound car, that should be low to mid 11s. People with similar mods are running low to mid 11s, even on all season radials!

To get an STi faster than this one has to go to forged internals, a rotated mount turbo, and upgrade the axles so that they don't break (the transmission will take it though). Some freaks who are doing this are getting 10s now (how bout a 10.4 at 137 http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=732204 ), though are still not that many of them. I think in about a year there will probably be far more STis getting into the tens as more and more adopt these type of setups.

I have to admit that I still prefer big torque LSx family motors, but this turbo 4-banger stuff is kind of fun in its own way. Especially when no one expects it.

I agree, I love the LS1/2 they are awesome. But it is fun taking a turboed 4 banger and making it fast as hell. Did you go the FPGReen route> I am going to stick a kit on in the summer hoping for high tens on race fuel 10.8-10.9 range. I should put down 500--525 At the wheels with this kit, Guess we will see.

Shane
Old 03-18-2005, 10:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99badta
I agree, I love the LS1/2 they are awesome. But it is fun taking a turboed 4 banger and making it fast as hell. Did you go the FPGReen route> I am going to stick a kit on in the summer hoping for high tens on race fuel 10.8-10.9 range. I should put down 500--525 At the wheels with this kit, Guess we will see.

Shane
No - going the AVO (500) route. Probably the most expensive of them, but also likely the best non-rotated one available. One advantage the Evos have is a longer engine history, so lots more parts available. STis are just starting to get some of the better stuff. Funny thing is that this is sort of what the LSx world was like about 5 years ago. People started getting them into the 11s (and found that easy), then 10s, then 9s, then ...
Old 03-28-2005, 02:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Damn I ran into the Guy again this Morning..... He keeps Getting Faster and Faster.
Old 05-27-2005, 11:13 PM
Teching In

Vishnu Tuning has a kit (larger turbo and turbo back exhaust) for 4k that gets the STI to run 12.0 in the 1/4. That's not too shabby for 4k bolt-on.