Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

When will they ever learn?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2005, 10:58 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Camaroz
No doubt there Thinking a skittle is a TRUE Mopar is
It may not be "TRUE" Mopar according to some, but it's 2003 - 2005 Mopar.... or not...

Kinda like present day Chevy "Super Sports":

FWD Monte Carlo SS
FWD Impala SS
Cobalt SS
50+k SSr

Definitely all----------------->

Last edited by 1sweet00SS; 04-28-2005 at 11:07 PM.
Old 04-28-2005, 11:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1sweet00SS
FWD Monte Carlo SS
FWD Impala SS
50+k SSr
Yes chevy definetly made a mistake slapping SS on the new monte and impala but the SSr does live upto the SS name it's just priced very badly
Old 04-28-2005, 11:09 PM
Staging Lane

Yes chevy definetly made a mistake slapping SS on the new monte and impala but the SSr does live upto the SS name it's just priced very badly
I agree...... I only put the SSr in there because what they want for it..
Old 04-29-2005, 09:14 AM
STF Veteran

Ok, it's not that we don't doubt that Mopar makes parts for the SRT-4. Nor do we doubt that the SRT-4 has good potential considering it's a 4 cylinder car based off of a budget commuter/grocery getter in the neon (hell, we had 25 years of mustangs all based off the "Fox" chassis that was originally ment for mid-size commuter cars).

What we're saying is that there is a tradition and a reputation to Mopar that the srt-4 isn't exactly a member of. Big cube, big hp, ungodly torque, rwd mid/full size cars are what Mopar is known for. It's like a game of "one of these things is not like the other".

Unfortunatly due to stupid movies, changing marketplace dynamics, and just plain consumer ignorance, small fwd 4cylinder cars are quickly becoming the new "hot rods". The SRT-4, Cobalt SS, SVT Focus (when it comes back) etc, very well may be the way of the future for street performance (more's the pity) on a budget, but that doesn't mean that they fit right in line with the history of hot rods and street demons.
Old 04-29-2005, 09:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

That's exactly what I was trying to say
Old 04-29-2005, 11:16 AM
TECH Resident

sad to say, people want small/mid sized cars.

Mopar is only changing to the market. Affordable cars with power.

Why can't they find a way to get an ls1 into that neon, lol. I couldn't resist. It has to be just as cheap to produce as that 4 cylinder with a turbo, hehe.

sorry, I'm just ranting................
Old 04-29-2005, 11:49 AM
STF Veteran

Originally Posted by wickedwarlock
sad to say, people want small/mid sized cars.

Mopar is only changing to the market. Affordable cars with power.

Why can't they find a way to get an ls1 into that neon, lol. I couldn't resist. It has to be just as cheap to produce as that 4 cylinder with a turbo, hehe.

sorry, I'm just ranting................
Honestly, I don't have any idea why they can't. The LS1 isn't actually THAT expensive to produce, due to the fact that it's put (or was) into into a bunch of different cars, and shares dimensions/parts with some of the truck engines too. I read in motor trend that, for instance, the Caddy northstar engines cost $2800 more to produce than the LS2 engines.

It can't be a weight thing, the all-aluminum LSx series engines weigh about the same as an iron block 4/6 plus turbo assembly. I don't think it's dimensions either, the LS1 is actually pretty small physically. I'm pretty sure they even fit one into a Grand Prix prototype mounted longitudaly so you could use a FWD tranny with it.

It isn't a gas mileage thing, the LS1 pulls similar mileage to most v6s when geared properly and you keep the gas pedal off the floor. The z06 pulls 28mpg with 400hp for christ's sake.

Who the **** knows.

My bet is that it goes back to that whole "consumer ignorance" thing, where people don't understand that power costs gas, and just because it's a turbo 4 instead of a natural aspirated 8 making that 300hp, it still takes the same ammount of gasoline. V8s are viewed as "gas hogs" and i4s as "economical". There are large segments of the buying public who just have no clue and wont' buy a v8 because of misinformed preconcieved notions about them.
Old 04-29-2005, 04:46 PM
Teching In

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Skarecrow
What we're saying is that there is a tradition and a reputation to Mopar that the srt-4 isn't exactly a member of. Big cube, big hp, ungodly torque, rwd mid/full size cars are what Mopar is known for. It's like a game of "one of these things is not like the other".
Traditions are meant to be broken. Look at SLP...they now make Mustang parts! Are they now not true SLP parts or the other favorite word SELLOUTS ? No they have to adapt with the times and do what's needed to be done to make money.

Let's break down what you say defines a Mopar (btw where are you getting this?):

1.) Big cube...no it's not but for a four cylinder, 2.4L is a rather large four
2.) Big HP...I don't know if you follow the SRT or not but they do make quite a bit of power, especially when modified (e.g. upgraded turbo with minimal tuning and good old pump gas you can push 380-450whp).

3.) But wait what about torque...that's right it's a four cylinder therefore it makes no torque. Motor makes for the most part more torque than it does HP and redlines at 6000rpms and peaks it's torque down low and power falls off after 5500. Hmm...sounds like the typical V8's powerband. One of the few 4 bangers I can make a turn (at just under 20mph) and keep the car in 3rd gear and still accelerate briskly out of the turn without going full throttle. It makes a good amount down low and even when running off the boost.

4.) RWD/Midsize/fullsize...well it's FWD (which is a damn shame) but it gets the job done the way it is and it seats 5 comfortably.

Anyways yea...it's a Mopar.
Old 04-29-2005, 04:57 PM
12 Second Club

Exclamation Correction!!

Hey, everyone, I just posted that last post. I'm on a public computer and wasn't thinking that someone else was going to cookie this site. They were still signed in. To you, I apologize, and to 99FormulaM6, I apologize. All right, guys. Keep burnin'... hope to see ya on the road.
Old 04-29-2005, 05:02 PM
TECH Junkie

ha, i was like....hmm, wait a second. lmao. why was i logged in on another computer anyway..? im @ home on my laptop..
Old 04-29-2005, 05:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 04srt4
Anyways yea...it's a Mopar.
Keep telling yourself that good for your self-esteem
where's the Skittle
Old 04-29-2005, 06:28 PM
Staging Lane

where's the Skittle
Here's the skittle!!......MOPAR MUSCLE MAGAZINE (FEB 2004).....

Welcome to the new Mopar!!!!!!

There is no doubt......

It's definitely Mopar now.... It's in MOPAR MUSCLE MAGAZINE. Even they say, "From Ma Mopar"...

Last edited by 1sweet00SS; 04-29-2005 at 06:43 PM.
Old 04-29-2005, 06:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hid it in the back of the magazine eh
Old 04-29-2005, 06:55 PM
Staging Lane

Hid it in the back of the magazine eh
Ahahahaahaa.......that's just wrong

But probably true.....

Old 04-29-2005, 06:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
thanks for the info! its always good to know these things

example) never race an 03 cobra from 50 lol

from 40mph i'll be in 2nd pretty nicely and from 50 my revs are up a little high, but i can still pull a few mph out of it. 30 mph is too slow for my 2nd, too fast for my 1st, and it would never hook up from a 1st gear roll anyway

there's a red srt-4 at school i've been wondering about. its got a carbon fiber hood/trunk/spoiler, FMIC, and black wheels w/ chrome lip. not sure what other crap, but i want to run him, win or lose.

btw - i'm on 315 nittos and 4.11s'

Are you enjoying those 4.11s???
Old 04-29-2005, 07:33 PM
TECH Junkie

dodge wanted it to be built by mopar to try and make it something that its not in an attempt to boost sales. everyone knows how popular mopar muscle was, and theyre trying to bring it back...but that **** aint MOPAR, that **** is a skittle damnit! taste the rainbow beeyotchesssss
Old 04-29-2005, 07:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Old 04-29-2005, 08:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6
that **** aint MOPAR, that **** is a skittle damnit! taste the rainbow beeyotchesssss
BAHAHAHAHHAA too funny
Old 04-29-2005, 09:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6
taste the rainbow beeyotchesssss
No thanks: way too fruity for my taste.
Old 04-29-2005, 09:33 PM
Teching In

Well, I just got back from Chrysler powertrain testing facility and I have to say that the Neon SRT4 drivtrain is built tested by the same people that do the work on the pro stock, nascar, new Hemi(which is a joke by the way), and I asked the workers (40-50's) and they seem to think the same thing I do, its Mopar, like it or not, times change, just need to accept it.

Brad