Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

my formula vs. 04 KB Cobra

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2005 | 01:48 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by BYE RICE
I remember when 400 rwhp was something special..
haha- i remember when 12's were something special (not that friggin long ago- a couple years ago). now if you are not in the 11's you had better keep you mouth shut- because your car is not THAT fast.

i wll say though- i saw a kb cobra at the track running mid-high 11's with et streets, the hp/tq numbers are there but they do not ALL run 10's. the "driver mod" is a must.
Old 05-08-2005 | 08:27 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by sleeperstyle

i wll say though- i saw a kb cobra at the track running mid-high 11's with et streets, the hp/tq numbers are there but they do not ALL run 10's. the "driver mod" is a must.
Absofrigginlutely. That goes without saying.
Old 05-08-2005 | 08:44 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by LS1_PNYTAMR
so can somebody list the mods and cost required to do the kb ......
Here are some of the supporting mods. I'm assuming that the motor remains stock internally. Some of the mods listed below aren't absolutely necessary, but some are...such as the fuel system.

Fuel

KB Boost-a-pump
55 or 60lb injectors
Focus pumps

Intake

CAI
TB
MAF Extender

Exhaust

X-pipe
Catback
Headers (not necessary really)

Transmission

26 spline input shaft
Gear shifter

Rear End

IRS brace (not required)
Tires

Misc Mods

Belt
Pulley's
Idlers & bracket
Spark plugs
etc....

I'm sure I'm forgetting a few things. People seem to think you can just slap a KB or a Whipple on and you make 600rwhp and go run 10's. 10's are expensive people.

Originally Posted by LS1_PNYTAMR
...and how does this fair against a h/c 150 shot ls1...
It depends on both cars really. There are some H/C LS1's that are monsters without spray. Trapping 130-135mph with a properly built KB Cobra is not a problem.
Old 05-08-2005 | 10:44 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by sleeperstyle
so what though, ford did ONE car right, the rest of the mustangs are turds for the most part.. i didn't say cannot be fast , but not even 1/10th as easily made fast and reliable like the 03-04 cobra.
Everytime I see an '05+ mustang I just scratch my head wondering wtf ford is thinking. They definetely had a winner with the '03-04 cobra, both in the styling and performance dept.
Old 05-08-2005 | 10:56 AM
Launching!

Old 05-08-2005 | 11:22 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by turbogarrett
Everytime I see an '05+ mustang I just scratch my head wondering wtf ford is thinking.
They're thinking about selling cars and making money. That is the business Ford is in. Production can't meet customer demand. Sounds like a winner to me.

Ford gave tuners a decent start. They'll take the ball and turn stock GT's into 10 second cars in no time. There already are a few.

Old 05-08-2005 | 04:57 PM
TECH Regular

I'm sure I'm forgetting a few things. People seem to think you can just slap a KB or a Whipple on and you make 600rwhp and go run 10's. 10's are expensive people.
Absoluty correct..I can tell you based on what my brother has gone through to get the car where it is..IT WAS NOT CHEAP!..
He could've done the pully/spray route like most Terminator guys do & been in the ball park..But he went the extra mile & has attempted to reclaim some level of OE reliability..That's where it gets expensive...
It's true that the OE bottom end will hold big horsepower & that helps,
But the OE cooling system limits are reached pretty easily,as well as the fuel system & alot of drive-train.
My brother has upgraded half-shafts,26 spline(Ford was having a bad day when they went with a 10) IRS brace ,improved bushings,11.5" OE style wheels,DR's,Mcleod single-disc(wont last).& the required aftermarket clutch quadrant & firewall adjuster..Ford has a thing for non-assited clutches on Mustangs
The stock heat exchagers on 03-04 Cobras are pretty weak,so that was upgraded,too..The only other thing done to improve localized cooling was the "Apten cooling mod" which just eliminates the dead-end coolant passage in the drivers side head & connects it with the passenger side via a hose..
The most important thing he did though,in order to keep the tops of the pistons from going 'chernobyl' was to rip out the OE fuel line & go with -8 line from pump to rail to keep those 60lb injectors fed...this upgraded line allows the contined use of OE Cobra twin fuel pumps.It's pretty sexy..
Its been said that OE manifolds dont really need to swapped out for headers..But after we got them off the car,it was another "WTF was Ford thinking?" moment..Headers are really easy to install when the K-member is pulled & make a big difference as you get up there in power..
Cobras with this level of attention to detail arn't very common,it turns out..
Unless you go over to svtperformance.com..there it seems like everyone there has at least a ported Eaton & spray...It like that Walgreens commercial where they all live in 'Perfect' & nothing ever breaks.
A big part of the cost of doing all of this ended up being labor at $90 an hour & redoing things..I hate that!
Its funny,but for all thats been done you go buy an older LS1 f-body & have the same level of performance for less money,if nothing else than the car is initially cheaper to buy..So that's why I'm keeping my '98..Its paid for!

Last edited by BYE RICE; 05-08-2005 at 05:20 PM.
Old 05-08-2005 | 05:03 PM
Administrator

The stock intercoolers on 03-04 Cobras are pretty weak,so that was upgraded,too.
I agree with your comments. However I believe you're referring to the stock heat exchanger, not the intercooler. There is no aftermarket replacement for the intercooler that I'm aware of.
Old 05-08-2005 | 05:10 PM
TECH Regular

Yep,I'm usually the one correcting people on the nomenclature......Ooops!
Heat exchanger indeed!The only way to improve the performance of the intercooler is N20!
& the other thing to emphasize is the driver mod..like others have said..
A car capable of running 10's aint for everybody..at that level..the car can actually hurt you if you don't bring your A-game.
There's a saying I live by to justify my hobby.."If goin' fast was either cheap or easy,everyone would do it."

Last edited by BYE RICE; 05-08-2005 at 05:24 PM.
Old 05-08-2005 | 08:06 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by unit213
They're thinking about selling cars and making money. That is the business Ford is in. Production can't meet customer demand. Sounds like a winner to me.

Ford gave tuners a decent start. They'll take the ball and turn stock GT's into 10 second cars in no time. There already are a few.

I always hear how production is not meeting customer demand with them, yet everytime a pass a dealership there seems to be plenty sitting on the lot?

Personally I think the '05+ mustangs look ridiculous, but I must be in the minority. Not saying the drivetrain doesn't have potential to run good numbers.
Old 05-08-2005 | 08:09 PM
STF Veteran

Originally Posted by unit213
You should feel a KB Cobra with 19psi and a 100shot.
Any numbers/times on the setup?
Old 05-08-2005 | 08:50 PM
On The Tree

I know what you mean..My brother bought this car last summer after being inspired by me when he rode shotgun in my Camaro a few years back..
I've helped him out his car alot dispensing older brother advise & a fair amount of turning wrenches..
We installed full exhaust,Basssani headers,& a 2300AX Whipple charger around new years...The car is mind blowing! It dynod 583 with 15psi indicated through the cats on pump gas..
It has sportbike levels of accelleration from 40 mph rolls.
He's getting the car back from JBA next week after having to replace 3 burnt pistions though..He also upgraded the fuel system to prevent another lean out..
Some other new parts include Crower stage III cams & a 4 lb lower pully..The plan is to run 19-21 psi..We're expecting 680 plus RWHP.
So if your in San Diego & see this car..

Just be advised..it's more than a 'pully & chip'.
I remember when 400 rwhp was something special..

i was at that dyno day you did with your brother here in vegas, would you like the videos i took?
Old 05-08-2005 | 09:04 PM
TECH Regular

Any numbers/times on the setup?

MY guess it would trap in the 130++ range..700+ to the gound.

Last edited by BYE RICE; 05-08-2005 at 09:24 PM.
Old 05-08-2005 | 09:12 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by caindo
i was at that dyno day you did with your brother here in vegas, would you like the videos i took?
Someone shot video?
Why yes,yes I would like that..Do you have a host?
Wait a minute...I remember now..You were the GTP guy..That was either right after the whipple install or the next day when we went with the big dog pully..
PM me..

Last edited by BYE RICE; 05-09-2005 at 02:36 PM.
Old 05-09-2005 | 07:59 AM
On The Tree

the whip was on. i'll put the video back up tonight
Old 05-09-2005 | 06:05 PM
On The Tree

as promised.

http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=cobrasmall1

http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=cobrasmall2
Old 05-09-2005 | 08:05 PM
TECH Regular

Total thread hijack...Thanks though...
For some reason I can't see the video..
Sure sounds good..
That was the 583 rwhp pull..
Old 05-09-2005 | 10:47 PM
On The Tree

get the latest xvid codec that should solve the issue.
Old 05-09-2005 | 11:44 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by caindo
get the latest xvid codec that should solve the issue.
It worked...
Im sure he'll be ecstatic..Since the car has been without an engine for three months..