Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Death by GTP

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2005, 11:20 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unit, what kind of #'s did that GP put down? seemed pretty stout. -Jim
Originally Posted by unit213
Here's a turbo GP done by Livernois Motosports for all you GP lovers. Cool concept...

Dyno Vid
Old 05-30-2005, 12:47 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I can find out Jim. Not sure really. I'll send a PM...
Old 05-30-2005, 01:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by unit213
Here's a turbo GP done by Livernois Motosports for all you GP lovers. Cool concept...

Dyno Vid
they would be a lot better cars if they were rear wheel drive.
(for performance, not grocery carrying)
Old 05-30-2005, 01:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Chase_Z28
I got beat by a GTP last friday
where were you at chase? street racing somewhere or what (from STL too just interested)
Old 05-31-2005, 04:53 AM
Staging Lane

I've owned both cars,and loved both of them.The ls1 f-bodies or a diffrent class than the gtp's.Sure the ls1 would smoke the gtp with similar mods,but that doesn't meen it is not worth modding or a bad car.Gtp's are very roomy, and some people need the extra room and space if they have kids or need to load stuff that a mustang or f-bodie space is more limited.Plus the lower ins. and little better gas milage.Just cause you need room for family ect. doesn't meen you don't want to be fast when the kids aren't riding in the car.Thats just for the people that say its a waste of time to mod the gtp.Ya, my ls1 is as fast as my gtp with alot less mods,but the gtp is still respectable imo,like in my earlier post a 12.7 -12.8 car with just bolt-ons is not to shabby.Just a diffrent class but still worth modding.Its like comparing my t/a to a new z06 both can be made fast but with similar mods it will smoke me everytime.Plus driving to work and back how many fast cars do you actually get to race that are faster than 13'sI,ve had my gtp and t/a for over a 1 1/2 years both running around 12.8 and only lost 4 races driving to and from work so it was worth it for me.I'm sure if I hung at the street races it would be diffrent ,but not all people like to hang at the races and just like to race for fun what you run into on the street.To each his own,A car enthusiast that makes there car fast is cool with me no matter what he drives!
Old 06-01-2005, 02:37 PM
Teching In

My stock GTP ran a 14.5, and people called it a factory freak. After installing headers, a fender-well intake, colder plugs, a 3" downpipe, flowmaster 40 series, 180 tstat, and a 3.4" pulley I was able to pull off a couple of 13.7-13.6 runs. I added an intercooler and was able to pull a 13.2 and then added alky injection with a 2.8" pulley and was able to hit high 12's. I've since stopped there for fear of my transmission. All this while getting maybe 1-2 degrees of knock at shift points during WOT (not bad).

Overall, about $1800 worth of mods which didn't seem bad to me. I call it a 13 second car because I don't drive around with the 2.8" in which I hit 12's in.

I have no idea what my WS6 runs in the 1/4 mile and it's completely stock, but feel-for-feel the bottom end isn't nearly as powerful as the GTP's but the top end sours in comparison to my GTP.

As far as a GTP vs. LT1 goes - it really wouldn't take much for a GTP to keep up with one (no offense). As others have said, a good FWI and a smaller pulley can do it. Watch out out there, though; some GTP's may look fairly harmless until you try to run 'em. For example, Ed Morad who lives about fifteen minutes from me has a 10 second GTP and an 11 second Bonneville, both with the blown 3800 engines.

Quick Reply: Death by GTP