Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

02 WS-6 vs. 68 Chevelle

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2005, 04:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ya, I don't see why all the hate was directed at you man. I just want to see the vid already, lol.
Old 06-14-2005, 05:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by blkbird_WS-6
First let me say, he is my uncle by marriage to my dad's sister, he is not a full blooded relative. If you think the way I acted was ricey or being a "total dick" well I'm not half as bad as he is. As for the Chevelle, it's all original, that's why he bought it. He said the rear has 3:73's but he's not sure. And, I am aware of he capabilties of the older muscle cars. But, I feel insulted that you tell me that I need to learn a little about cars.

Okay, if he was being a dick then okay. You should have taken the ride. In your first post you didn't act like a "old big block chevy" is anything to worry about, which is not really the case. BBC's can be very badass with not much in them. We didn't know that the car was more or less stock. Sorry about the insult. You should destroy him.
Old 06-14-2005, 06:00 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ooo 68 Chevelle

I got smoked by a 68 396 when I had my old T/A It was bad, but I didn't care. It was a bad *** car.
Old 06-14-2005, 08:10 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BBQLS1
Okay, if he was being a dick then okay. You should have taken the ride. In your first post you didn't act like a "old big block chevy" is anything to worry about, which is not really the case. BBC's can be very badass with not much in them. We didn't know that the car was more or less stock. Sorry about the insult. You should destroy him.
Thanks.
Old 06-14-2005, 08:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If he's stock he'd be lucky to put down 250 rwhp, and I'm not exaggerating at all. It'll make great torque, but poor hp As others have said if it's not stock, then the sky's the limit on hp in a BBC.

BTW I don't think it sounded like you were dis-respecting the car, but rather the owner. Obviously you and he have issues with one another. Sorry to see that in a family, but it happens. You're probably going to crush him like an ant
Old 06-15-2005, 11:08 AM
TECH Regular

WTF? How was that a ricey thing to do? And I have an attitude problem? Okay. Now I do. He asked me if I wanted to go for a ride in his car, I told him no. He then said, "Come on, let's go for a ride in a real car." So granted they don't make cars today like they did in 1968 etc. is it still okay for him to negate from my T/A by saying, "let's go for a ride in a real car"??? By the time he said that, there was no question in my mind, I knew I didn't want to ride with him. I'd say the only reason that he even went down the road with me was to see if it was anything that he would be in competition with. SO he talked his trash when we got back, but when I told him to line 'em up,(the first time on Mother's Day) he wouldn't move it from the garage. And then this past Sunday he's all the sudden ready to race. I think he's got a bit of doubt in his mind on whether or not he can take me out. So now he wants to know the truth (and so do I) so he's decided that we'll race. If I get beat, which (excuse my arrogance) I don't think I will, then the only thing that will **** me off is that he's the one behind the wheel. I have no problem losing to a car like that. I would not have one ounce of shame in my soul to say that I got beat by a 68 Chevelle with a 396 and a 4spd. So to all of you guys that think I'm hating on the "classics", CHILL OUT.

After reading some of the answers to the posts before mine, I can see why ya did what ya did. There's always more to a story than what meets the eyes, my bad for jumping like that, I oughta know better. Good luck with the run and I hope you open his eyes to what the new Muscle Cars are all about.
Old 06-15-2005, 01:18 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks Charlie, I didn't put myself in your and others shoes when telling this story. Obviously you guys wouldn't know the way my uncle was unless you had met him first hand. That's why I am looking forward to taking him down.

But, for a few posts in this thread, I was starting to think I posted in a Chevelle forum. lol
Old 06-15-2005, 01:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

You do plan to spray on him right? If that car is anywhere even close to stock, the spray will give you atleast a 6-10 bus lengths at the end of a quarter, especially with the ET streets. I would be suprised if his car would even run in the 14's

http://www.autoswalk.com/worgreatcarc.html
Here's a link to a stock '68 454 ls6 chevelle running mid 14's off the show room floor, OOOOHHHHHH. That maybe a little low, but you catch my drift.

http://www.musclecarclub.com/musclec...s-50fast.shtml
Here's another with a little better times. I don't even see that car in the top 50!

http://www.musclecarclub.com/musclec...-history.shtml
And another!

Now if he’s done a bunch of work, ie h/c/i, nitrous and sticky tires, it could be close. Anything less, you will destroy.

BTW, do you have any times on your set-up?

Later,
Dave

Last edited by SUPER DAVES Z; 06-15-2005 at 01:37 PM.
Old 06-15-2005, 01:34 PM
TECH Resident

Just want to say that it's pretty cool to see the forum guys admitting they were wrong and apologizing. Shows how we fbody people are better than the competition sites
Old 06-15-2005, 01:37 PM
11 Second Club

I told him I wouldn't use the spray when we race, it has crossed my mind though. He and my other uncles say that the car is all original, and that's why he bought it. I don't think they are lying about it. But anyway, I haven't been to the track since I added all the stuff in my sig. I just got my 12 bolt installed last Saturday, so I am trying to get the break in miles on it. I did go to the track when I had just an air lid and ran 8.6's in the 1/8, on street tires.
Old 06-15-2005, 01:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bandit Z
Just want to say that it's pretty cool to see the forum guys admitting they were wrong and apologizing. Shows how we fbody people are better than the competition sites
Yeah, we're pretty damn cool guys.
Old 06-15-2005, 01:45 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SUPER DAVES Z
For those that don't like to click links, here is what it says, this is a copy and paste from that link:

Comments: 1968 saw a major redesign of the Chevelle SS. The wheelbase was shortened by three inches and gained new styling. The hood was stretched out and the deck was shortened. The recessed rear window was converted into a fastback look and the rear side windows were given a "V" look. The front end gained a rakish design with bold sweep back lines that extended from bumper to bumper. The 396 returned in 325bhp and 350bhp tune and were joined once again by the 375bhp L78. Axle ratios ranged from 2.73:1 to dealer installed 4.88:1 drag cogs. The SS396's suspension was still a sore spot, and customers also complained about the shifting of the Muncie four-speed.

Production: 57,600 (or 62,785)
Engines: 396 V8 325bp@4800rpm, 410lb-ft@3200rpm. L34 396 V8 350bhp@5200rpm, 415lb-ft@3600. L78 396 V8 375bhp@5600rpm, 415lb-ft@3600rpm
Performance: L78 396/375: 0-60 in 6.5 sec, 1/4 mile in 14.5 sec @ 100mph.
Old 06-15-2005, 01:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SUPER DAVES Z
http://www.autoswalk.com/worgreatcarc.html
Here's a link to a stock '68 454 ls6 chevelle running mid 14's off the show room floor, OOOOHHHHHH. That maybe a little low, but you catch my drift.
Okay me being a dickhole.

LS6 was in 1970. The 70 velle could run in the high 12/low 13 range on damn near hockey puck tires. The right Carb/Cam/Headers/Intake/Tire=10's
Old 06-15-2005, 02:01 PM
11 Second Club

The 70 Chevelle was indeed a badass. A car that heavy, running that quick. That's some power! I'm just glad that the car at hand is a 68 and is not modded.

Watch, as I am typing this..he's probably bolting on some go fast goodies, thinking to himself...Yeah I'll teach his punk ***.
Old 06-15-2005, 02:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

I told him I wouldn't use the spray when we race, it has crossed my mind though. He and my other uncles say that the car is all original, and that's why he bought it. I don't think they are lying about it. But anyway, I haven't been to the track since I added all the stuff in my sig. I just got my 12 bolt installed last Saturday, so I am trying to get the break in miles on it. I did go to the track when I had just an air lid and ran 8.6's in the 1/8, on street tires.
If his car is so much faster, why does he care if you spray?

I would be inclined to believe him, and being that your car will go AT LEAST low 12’s off spray, you are going to KILL him (just don't miss shift). I have a good friend running a ’67 charger with a 440 (built from a CarCraft write-up that put out 560 crank hp, al heads/cam/intake forged blah blah) that I have run just for short highway bursts and it is not even close, many car lengths (numbers in sig). On spray, you should do the same. Just make two runs, the first on spray, and after he comes up with an excuse why he lost the first time, without.

Get his reaction on tape because if his ego is as big as you say, he is really going to be butt hurt
Old 06-15-2005, 02:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Lol, you guys are funny. How dare you tell someone that you don't even know how they should act around THEIR family? For all you know there has been a bad history between them and he didn't want to write a book instead of a post. The uncle went for a ride in a WS6 with 431 rwhp and didn't even say anything about it except for the Chevelle probably being able to beat it. If I knew I wouldn't get caught, I'd put a bullet in MY uncle and then burn his *** to a crisp. Remember, family CAN be the worst of enemies. Just because you get along with your uncle doesn't mean that everyone else gets along with their uncle(s) also.
Old 06-15-2005, 02:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BBQLS1
Okay me being a dickhole.

LS6 was in 1970. The 70 velle could run in the high 12/low 13 range on damn near hockey puck tires. The right Carb/Cam/Headers/Intake/Tire=10's
My bad LS6 was '70 and your probably right that's just what that article states, mid 14's. The ls6 was referenced to show a best case e.t. for his uncles, stock 396. If anyone has run mid 14’s with and LS6, the 396 will probably be much slower.

The other sites state a little better times. For what it's worth, people have run 10's or better with less few mods than his WS6 as well.
Old 06-15-2005, 02:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sorry, I posted the above post before I got to your apologies. That was still pretty wrong for you guys to do but at least you apologized.
Old 06-15-2005, 03:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I went for a ride in a 375 HP bone stock 69 camaro. It was about as quick as my old station wagon. But at the end of the day, remember that these guys are driving home beautiful vintage musclecars! **drool**
Old 06-15-2005, 04:27 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by UK-WS6
Listen, When you are a car length infront, which you will be, no trouble, just keep it to a car length, none of this humiliating bus lengths.
no....just smoke him, by buslengths, shiplengths even, which is what your car will do to a stock (even though its a L78) 60s 396 car. I LOVE old musclecars, the styling of them has never been equalled, but if they are stock, they are slow. Period. Simple as that. All of the fastest musclecars such as LS6s, Hemis, and Stage I Buicks, the ones that go for millions nowadays, were only mid to low 13 sec. cars, with an emphasis on mid. So, any LS1 car stock will beat any Muscle era car stock, and with the mods you have blkbrd, you will smoke him.