Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

integra vs WS-6

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2005, 07:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

he has to have more than just horsepower. he has to have torque also. if he has low torque, he is not doing a whole lot. I have seen imports with high horsepower but low torque not do so well. i think it will be close without the ta using n20 and i think the ta will win with it. i do agree however that from a roll the ta would get took. with n20 from a roll i think it would be pretty close. just my .02 though, different things depend on this race besides hp and tq. traction/weight/driver will most likely make the race.
Old 06-23-2005, 07:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

from a dig, i doubt the integra would ever catch up with you, nitrous or no nitrous...

WS6T/A98 your GTA is farkin awesome looking
Old 06-24-2005, 02:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Aye you definatly need the nitrous to kep up with that thing. Im glad there is nothign liek that around here. YAY

John
Old 06-24-2005, 12:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Torque is less of a factor when going from a roll.

Even if he is making 508 at the wheels, I'm guess he's still pushing in upwards of 350ftlb, which is more than enough to propel a 2500lb car.

He's making more torque than stock ls1's, which weigh 1000 lb's more, so I don't quite understand your logic.
Old 06-24-2005, 01:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

500HP Integra sounds like an F-ing nightmare... Thats not a race I would wanna lose, but I tend to agree that if you take him from a dig he wont catch back up cuz A) He has turbo lag and B) He has no torque ... Good Luck though
Old 06-24-2005, 01:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

What do you mean he has NO torque. You have to have torque or the car wont move.

Have you seen a 500hp integra before. Do you know what it can run? Try mid 10's at 135-140mph. Tell me where in that mph do you see no torque.
Old 06-24-2005, 01:27 PM
TECH Resident

Let's just get to the race already.......
Old 06-24-2005, 01:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What do you mean he has NO torque. You have to have torque or the car wont move.
Smartass, you know I meant he has LESS torque!!
Old 06-24-2005, 02:28 PM
Launching!

I'm completely agreeing with 25psi on this one..

IMO on juice your still gonna lose... if he can hook at all.
Old 06-24-2005, 02:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Its not that I am a "smart ***", I just think logically. Everyone seems to think hondas makes no torque, which is far from the truth. Granted it's not v8 like, but who cares.

Heres an example:

(3 ft/lb of torque @ 2 RPM) / 5252 = .0011424 HP

(1 ft/lb of torque @ 8 RPM) /5252 = .0015232 hp

Which one is bigger. See my point. This is why that honda would pull his ***.

You see the rpm difference. Thats where Hondas make most of there power, up top.
Old 06-24-2005, 07:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 25psi

Even if he is making 508 at the wheels, I'm guess he's still pushing in upwards of 350ftlb, which is more than enough to propel a 2500lb car.

He's making more torque than stock ls1's, which weigh 1000 lb's more, so I don't quite understand your logic.
LS1's make 360-375ft.lbs of torque stock.
And the least amount they make is 300ft.lbs, and thats at 1500-2000RPMs...

Torque is more of a factor when going from a roll, he will be at a low RPM (assuming the cars will race from a low speed, say 20mph), and if he not making much torque at the RPM, the F-body will pull like mad on him.
Old 06-24-2005, 07:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Its not that I am a "smart ***", I just think logically. Everyone seems to think hondas makes no torque, which is far from the truth. Granted it's not v8 like, but who cares.

Heres an example:

(3 ft/lb of torque @ 2 RPM) / 5252 = .0011424 HP

(1 ft/lb of torque @ 8 RPM) /5252 = .0015232 hp

Which one is bigger. See my point. This is why that honda would pull his ***.

You see the rpm difference. Thats where Hondas make most of there power, up top.

I want you to try something with your car(assuming its N/A).
Go to the RPM at which your peak torque occurs at(or around that RPM), and then stomp on the gas. Now go to the RPM at which your peak power occurs at (or close to the RPM, so you dont hit the limiter) and stomp on the gas.
Which pulled harder?

The RPM at which peak torque occurs will jerk you back noticably harder, because like it or not, torque is really what moves the car, and the torque and is what matters.
Old 06-24-2005, 09:31 PM
On The Tree

hondas dont make that much torque, its usually a lot lower than hp. also, his car is not stock so i dont see where you guys are like "stock ls1s make this much" and blah blah, like i said i think he will lose without nitrous, but a 150 would be enough. who wants to make some bets on here?
Old 06-25-2005, 08:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ill make that bet

I never said torque was not important.

You compensate the lack of displacement or cylinders by the amount that you rev your engine! Thats why you see nascar,bikes,race cars,etc rev to 10,000 plus rpms. You can not argue with physics. I gave you a simple mathmatical equation, that clearly states my arguement.

I think I know where the whole misunderstanding is coming from here. The point I'm trying to advocate is that there is no reason to look at the torque. If you want an engine that produces 1000hp a@ 8,500rpm you will need 617ft/lbs of torque. The misunderstanding is that you are thinking that I'm saying you will never need torque at all. This is not the point I was trying to make. I was trying to say that you can throw out your torque numbers, they are unimportant. Now for the car to make X amount of horsepower it will need Y amount of torque at Z rpm. So you will need torque to make horsepower. However the torque, as a number, is useless to brag about. It is useless to say "Oh yeah, well my car makes 400ft/lbs of torque. Now if that same person was to say "My car makes 400ft/lbs of torque at 8000rpm" its a different story. But thats only because that means he's making 609RWHP. Which is definitely a force to be reckoned with. So in the end I think we were arguing totally different points (atleast I hope I've caught the problem here). I'm saying Torque as a number means nothing but rather that horsepower is what you should pay attention to because that is what makes your car go down the track. You're saying that torque is necessary for an engine to make good horsepower. So in the end we're both correct. Obviously the better your torque, the better your horsepower. But high torque is nothing without a good amount of RPMs. I'm just tired of V8's throwing their torque numbers around when it doesnt prove anything.
Old 06-25-2005, 09:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Who said it weighs 2500 lbs? I know that thing is light, but I'd rather hear for TX_SS that it weighs 2500 lbs or not, he should know better.
Old 06-25-2005, 10:12 AM
10 Second Club

I agree with 25 psi, there are diesels that make 7-800 ft lbs of torque but only can rev to 2500 rpm.

A balance of torque and hp wins races.

My teg full weight was 2550 that was everything in it plus the spare, I'm sure he's a bit lighter.
Old 06-25-2005, 02:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

I still think he would lose with a 150 shot.

You need to take in consideration that, the integra weighs at least 8-1000lbs less than the camaro. Thats a full second already of the quarter mile.
Old 06-25-2005, 02:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
LS1's make 360-375ft.lbs of torque stock.
And the least amount they make is 300ft.lbs, and thats at 1500-2000RPMs...

Torque is more of a factor when going from a roll, he will be at a low RPM (assuming the cars will race from a low speed, say 20mph), and if he not making much torque at the RPM, the F-body will pull like mad on him.
Your totally missing my point and on top of that, your wrong. Read my paragraph above.
Old 06-25-2005, 05:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Ill make that bet

I never said torque was not important.

You compensate the lack of displacement or cylinders by the amount that you rev your engine! Thats why you see nascar,bikes,race cars,etc rev to 10,000 plus rpms. You can not argue with physics. I gave you a simple mathmatical equation, that clearly states my arguement.
True, you do compensate, but those racing engines are tuned to get the most amount of torque possible in the higher RPMs (the reason they have high hp).

I think I know where the whole misunderstanding is coming from here. The point I'm trying to advocate is that there is no reason to look at the torque. If you want an engine that produces 1000hp a@ 8,500rpm you will need 617ft/lbs of torque. The misunderstanding is that you are thinking that I'm saying you will never need torque at all. This is not the point I was trying to make. I was trying to say that you can throw out your torque numbers, they are unimportant.
Peak numbers are the unimportant ones. The torque curve is what drives the car, and the curve alone is what is important, not the peak number.
Now for the car to make X amount of horsepower it will need Y amount of torque at Z rpm. So you will need torque to make horsepower. However the torque, as a number, is useless to brag about. It is useless to say "Oh yeah, well my car makes 400ft/lbs of torque. Now if that same person was to say "My car makes 400ft/lbs of torque at 8000rpm" its a different story. But thats only because that means he's making 609RWHP.
400ft.lbs is going to accelerate the car the same, no matter what RPM its at.
Which is definitely a force to be reckoned with. So in the end I think we were arguing totally different points (atleast I hope I've caught the problem here). I'm saying Torque as a number means nothing but rather that horsepower is what you should pay attention to because that is what makes your car go down the track. You're saying that torque is necessary for an engine to make good horsepower. So in the end we're both correct. Obviously the better your torque, the better your horsepower. But high torque is nothing without a good amount of RPMs. I'm just tired of V8's throwing their torque numbers around when it doesnt prove anything.
The deal is, low,midrange, and highend torque all together is the best combonation, and thats what our V8s usually provide. Where as the smaller displaced, high revving engines only make high end torque, and diesels only make low end torque.
Old 06-25-2005, 05:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

I still think he would lose with a 150 shot.

You need to take in consideration that, the integra weighs at least 8-1000lbs less than the camaro. Thats a full second already of the quarter mile.
Traction...
As Im sure you know, the weight of the car is transfered to the rear when accelerating (reason FWD cars suck at drag).
That integra's claimed power is a lot, more than enough to spin the wheels of a car under 3000lbs, especially a FWD one...