Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Beware the Mopar SRT-8s!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2005, 01:32 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I live in SoCal... and the setup I've got right now is about as far as I can go before the smog ****'s kill my car. As for all the other mods, this is my daily driver. Only reason I'm running a stroker is cuz I killed the original 5.7 and it cost me just as much to have the stroker built than it would have to put another 5.7 back in it. Damn this state!
Old 08-02-2005, 02:43 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 382WS6
Well, I live in SoCal... and the setup I've got right now is about as far as I can go before the smog ****'s kill my car. As for all the other mods, this is my daily driver. Only reason I'm running a stroker is cuz I killed the original 5.7 and it cost me just as much to have the stroker built than it would have to put another 5.7 back in it. Damn this state!
You could throw on a Procharger if you had to, those are smog exempt here.
Old 08-03-2005, 12:55 PM
Launching!

Just read an article in Motor Trend that said the new 6.1 Hemi is putting out right at 470hp at the flywheel. Damn. As for my car, yeah, thre's not much more I could do. It's hard to do anything with forced induction cuz my compresion ratio is 11.1:1. I'm going to try a set of LT's cuz I have a freind who can "overlook" them during the visual inspection. As for blowing clean on the sniffer, I'm not really worried cuz it blows pretty clean the way it is now. As for the race, we really weren't able to go all the way, what with stop lights and a lot of traffic. Probably didn't help that I was spinning the wheels into second and carrying a 270lb passenger. Oh well, now I'm motivated to do more.
Old 08-03-2005, 02:26 PM
TECH Resident

LT's will make a big difference. Do you also have the stock Y-pipe and cats? If so, you should also add a cutout. LT's + cutout will make a huge difference for you, and won't cost much. Good luck.
Old 08-03-2005, 08:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just read an article in Motor Trend that said the new 6.1 Hemi is putting out right at 470hp at the flywheel. Damn. As for my car, yeah, thre's not much more I could do. It's hard to do anything with forced induction cuz my compresion ratio is 11.1:1. I'm going to try a set of LT's cuz I have a freind who can "overlook" them during the visual inspection. As for blowing clean on the sniffer, I'm not really worried cuz it blows pretty clean the way it is now. As for the race, we really weren't able to go all the way, what with stop lights and a lot of traffic. Probably didn't help that I was spinning the wheels into second and carrying a 270lb passenger. Oh well, now I'm motivated to do more.
Has your car been tuned? also you can probably put a LT setup on your car for now and then put the stock exahaust back on before smog time. I never tried this yet but I think I't can get it done with tuning.BTW putting the stock exahuast back on is not that hard.
Old 08-04-2005, 03:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by COMNBYU
Ditto to what AOC said. There are a lot of technicallities that most people don't think about, and that are paid attention to in some places and not in others.

In Cali I wouldn't be suprised if they followed everything by the book down to a T.

Here in VA we've got stations that don't even pop your hood, much less put it on a lift. And we don't have the "sniffer" here.......yet

Jon
Wrong. In Virginia(parts of) you have to pass both sniffer and visual. Out in Mechansville maybe not, but in Norhtern Virginia, Norfolk, etc, you must pass sniffer every two years, which includes a basic visual inspection, not as bad as California's, but they will fail you depending on the station for something as simple as an air snorkel. The acceptalbe PPM are higher in VA than CA.

Here in Ca Long Tubes are absolutlely illegal, as is every part w/out a CARB#

As you would expect some stations are more lienient/lazy than others and will pass you if you can blow clean on the sniffer. This is a huge state, look around and you will find a station where all you need is to blow clean...if that.
Old 08-04-2005, 01:11 PM
Launching!

I'm running a Random Tech catted y-pipe with a Corsa exhaust. I used to have the QTP cutout until I got all four tires off the ground at 120mph. Came down hard and caught the lip of the cutout... left it on the freeway. That and it always leaked. As for tuning, yeah, I had it tuned after the motor went in. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna go with LTs since I know i can "pass" the visual. Just not sure if I want to get it retuned again after that.
Old 08-05-2005, 12:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would put the LT's on definately and like I said It's not that hard to put the stock **** back on. As far as tuning I would get flashscan with a wideband and learn to Autotune it your self.
Old 08-05-2005, 01:50 PM
Launching!

Default srt8

Ive seen those how much do they cost?
Old 08-05-2005, 04:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by venom346
Ive seen those how much do they cost?
the 300 srt 8's msrp is $42,695, but this year and part of next year's are sold out.......the magnum and charger srt8s start at 37k if i'm not mistaken.....
Old 08-05-2005, 10:28 PM
Launching!

I happened to ask the guy how much he paid for his once we got stopped. He said it was $43K with a $7K dealer mark-up. For fifty grand it better be able to haul ***!
Old 08-05-2005, 11:28 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where in So Calif are you?
Old 08-06-2005, 06:11 AM
Banned

those cars are just plain heavy and ugly. makes no sense to put 6.1 420 hp in a 4 door to me. the funny thing about dodge is that all of there cars and trucks look all the same .
Old 08-06-2005, 11:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2001z
those cars are just plain heavy and ugly. makes no sense to put 6.1 420 hp in a 4 door to me. the funny thing about dodge is that all of there cars and trucks look all the same .
seats five comfortably, easily does low 13s in the 1/4 mile, lots of trunk space, less money than every car in it's class(markups notwithstanding, like i said, they've already sold through half of 2006's allotment)........makes no sense whatsoever
Old 08-06-2005, 02:10 PM
Banned

hahaha your one of the few who think that car is worth high 30s and ya i dont classify a sports car if it has 4 doors sorry. but you have your own taste .and wow they sold half of there stock . its gonna be just like the truck. sell good first few months and it will be gone in a year or two.
Old 08-06-2005, 04:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2001z
hahaha your one of the few who think that car is worth high 30s and ya i dont classify a sports car if it has 4 doors sorry. but you have your own taste .and wow they sold half of there stock . its gonna be just like the truck. sell good first few months and it will be gone in a year or two.
i never said it's a sports car......just stated it's performance(which unless you are completely ignorant is extremely impressive for what it is).

i don't have one and i'm not getting one, but if i did want one i'd have to wait in a long line to get it.....just telling you the facts: this year's allotment is sold out, and next years is half sold...as in cars that aren't even built yet are sold....they were never meant to be a high production vehicle, and i doubt they will ever have problems selling the ones they do make...
Old 08-06-2005, 10:18 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 1 BLOWN V8
Where in So Calif are you?
I'm out of the San Gabriel Valley. I was running against him from Huntington Beach all the way down to Newport. Got lucky with not getting caught.
Old 08-06-2005, 11:08 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ls1/srt
ill tell u what id definitely go to the dealer right now n trade my z28 if they were manuals.

Thats a shame
Old 08-07-2005, 07:03 AM
Banned

ignorant lol i guess i am. impressive is not just throwing a 425 hp motor in a 4 door car. (any hillbilly can do that). why put so much performance in a car that probally weighs a ton is my question and can dodge please fire there designer all there cars look the same to me.
Old 08-07-2005, 10:24 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Hoss Ghoul
Wrong. In Virginia(parts of) you have to pass both sniffer and visual. Out in Mechansville maybe not, but in Norhtern Virginia, Norfolk, etc, you must pass sniffer every two years, which includes a basic visual inspection, not as bad as California's, but they will fail you depending on the station for something as simple as an air snorkel. The acceptalbe PPM are higher in VA than CA.
I live in VB, there's no sniffer stuff here. I think it's that way for all the Hampton Roads area. You can get the car inspected anywhere in the state. They might do emmissions in the north near DC though. Just my .02.