Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

99 Mustang Cobra kill

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2005, 07:16 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It doesnt take much to make 350 rwhp on a 99+ cobra. many are around 325-330 without removing the heads and full bolt ons and porting the intake.

Hell I should be in that range with unported stock B heads on my car. Take a 99 cobra(c heads that are much better), a nice set of stage 3 cams, port the heads, longtubes, and a nice tune with a sullivan intake and you are damn near at 380-400 rwhp. Bob cosby, Joe lynch(old combo) and a few others out there.

Hell for me to get 350rwhp we are talking 2500 for the cams/springs(titanium), the LT's and x pipe with my tune. Not bad for a 281 cid.
Old 08-14-2005, 07:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yea, wasn't bob on stock heads?
Old 08-14-2005, 07:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

350rwhp is not the norm. Most the guys making 380 with a cobra are running a stroker motor also. Most ported head and cammed cobras I've seen are making more like 320-330rwhp and about 290-310 ft. lb. torque. What sucks is that without a stroker the torque is weak in comparison to the hp. With your B heads I'm not seeing you making 350 rwhp easily without huge cams and a car that is no fun for the street. The B heads are not a high velocity port head to start with and porting them makes for a poorly driven, top end only street car short of a supercharger that is. Your hp curve probably won't even start to hit until over 5,000 rpm. Plus you'll need 4.56 gears to even make it worth while. You can add significant hp to the cobras, although the torque sucks and the powerband is moved sky high. No fun for a streetcar IMHO.
Old 08-14-2005, 07:41 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Gloveperson
Yea, wasn't bob on stock heads?
Let's ask him. I PM'd him...

My Ford knowledge doesn't extend much past the '03 Cobra realm unfortunately.
Old 08-14-2005, 07:44 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Redneck Z
350rwhp is not the norm. Most the guys making 380 with a cobra are running a stroker motor also.
Anyone with half a clue knows strokers do not work with modulars being the tolerances are too tight and robs hp. Thats why we just bore them. However many 324 cid motors are well beyond 380 rwhp.
Most ported head and cammed cobras I've seen are making more like 320-330rwhp and about 290-310 ft. lb. torque.
You must have seen some B headed cobras or a shitty tune. Then again some of the fastest 320rwhp b headed cobras are running 11's.
What sucks is that without a stroker the torque is weak in comparison to the hp.
Yes but you easily overcome the torque loss with gears.
With your B heads I'm not seeing you making 350 rwhp easily without huge cams and a car that is no fun for the street. The B heads are not a high velocity port head to start with and porting them makes for a poorly driven, top end only street car short of a supercharger that is. Your hp curve probably won't even start to hit until over 5,000 rpm. Plus you'll need 4.56 gears to even make it worth while. You can add significant hp to the cobras, although the torque sucks and the powerband is moved sky high. No fun for a streetcar IMHO.
Yes b heads velocity suck, buty I said I was in that range. A few tuners are estimating around 330 rwhp with the tune. As for needing 4.56 gears, you really don't know alot about 4V's as you dont need 4.56 gears to wake up the car. Right now the 4.30's do fine and few LS1 buds have seen it first hand 330rwhp isnt bad when I have another 100rwhp on tap with the push of a button and close to over 500 rwtq as well
Old 08-14-2005, 07:47 PM
TECH Addict

Actually I'm an X 4.6 mustang guy and know quite a bit about these cars myself. What I said is that with ported B heads and the kind of cam you would need to reach close to 350 rwhp, you will need 4.56 gears. I wasn't talking about a stock car.
Old 08-14-2005, 07:51 PM
TECH Resident

No. I won't the gears do not cause yhou to gain hp. Infact Dynojet has even said they will cause you to lose some rwhp. gears not not give you hp. Thats a proven fact

stock heads, crower stage 2 cams, Longtubes a dr gas o/r x, and the sct tune I will be near 330 rwhp. Putting in 4.56's will not boost my hp<laugh>
Old 08-14-2005, 07:58 PM
TECH Addict

I'm laughing right back at you. For the third time I'll try and explain this to you. I never said gears give you hp. You are right, if anything you will dyno less with more gear. What I was saying is that with porting the low velocity heads and putting in a big cam, your power band will be moved up so high that you will need more gear to get into that powerband quicker. Otherwise you will drop too much rpm between shifts to utilize your new sky high powerband.
Old 08-14-2005, 08:03 PM
TECH Resident

Again I never said i am porting my heads. I am leaving them alone. I am happy with the 260cfm in stock form. I am also going to be using nitrous so that 4.56 gear will be useless anyways. Good call on that one buddy Nitrous + 4.56 gearing= no traction at all.

I already stated you will dyno less with more gear. Thanks for re stating it again
Old 08-14-2005, 08:08 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Redneck Z
What I said is that with ported B heads and the kind of cam you would need to reach close to 350 rwhp, you will need 4.56 gears. I wasn't talking about a stock car.
BTW, The way that you typed it, you are saying unless I have the gearing I wont make the hp.Which is false.The gearing isnt whats gonna make the hp. The gearing will get into the power band faster in a setup that ISNT MINE.

If i am dyning in 4th I wont need to worry about shifts to drop my rpms? Again with a tune, which I have, my rev limiter is at 7500. I am not too worried where my power is met at, but thats where the NX comes in up until 6800.
Old 08-14-2005, 08:09 PM
TECH Addict

Go back and re-read the post's slick. I was repleying to your comment about how you thought I was saying that gears gave you hp, which they don't. You tried to explain to me how more gear will cause you to dyno lower. I completely agree with you and was just trying to state this. Please go back and read over the posts before you spend anymore time arguing with yourself. Anyway good luck with your car.
Old 08-14-2005, 08:11 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Are we done yet?
Old 08-14-2005, 08:18 PM
TECH Addict

YES, this guy is just not getting it. I can't put things in more simple terms. How do you talk to someone who talks in circles, laughs and argues with themself. I give up.
Old 08-14-2005, 08:27 PM
TECH Resident

No you were implying on a car that is set up differently that i need more gear to make a certain rwhp. That is wrong.

You stated most guys making 380 rwhp in cobras are using strokers. Thats also false as we know strokers are **** and crap out around 15k. Hence why we use the big bore instead.

Coming from someone who says the 99 cobra makes 245 hp I will take what you say with a grain of salt
Old 08-14-2005, 08:42 PM
TECH Addict

QUOTE: No you were implying on a car that is set up differently that i need more gear to make a certain rwhp. That is wrong

Ok, for the record......this is the 4th time of telling you this in not true and I have never said this. Go back and read. You need the gear to utilize the hp, not to make it. Here, I'll even say it in a different way in hopes this will be the last time I have to explain this to you. Gears do not add hp!!!!!!. When you mod your car, you usually make more hp, albeit at a higher rpm. You use gears to keep your rpm up into your power band. Once again, GEARS DO NOT ADD HP. This is the final time I will explain this to you.

QUOTE: Coming from someone who says the 99 cobra makes 245 hp I will take what you say with a grain of salt

I'll kindly ask you to GO BACK AND READ(again). I said this when I thought the post was about a 94 cobra, then later I realized it was a 99 and I corrected my mistake. I will also take what you say with a heaping spoonful of salt. It has taken me 4 posts to explain to you that I agree with you and that gears don't increase hp, they help you get into the rpm range so you can use your hp. Get it straight.

Can someone else please explain to this guy that I am agreeing with him, and that gears don't increase hp. Maybe he'll listen to someone else.

Last edited by Redneck Z; 08-14-2005 at 08:49 PM.
Old 08-14-2005, 09:54 PM
TECH Resident

This is your comment and quote
Actually I'm an X 4.6 mustang guy and know quite a bit about these cars myself. What I said is that with ported B heads and the kind of cam you would need to reach close to 350 rwhp, you will need 4.56 gears. I wasn't talking about a stock car.
Why are 4.56 gears needed to make 350rwhp on that set up where a 4.30 gear cant?

That right there states my 4.30's isnt enough and need to get rid of them and get 4.56's to make the 350 rwhp. Again 100% wrong. Yes gears may help me use my hp in a DRAG RACE, but what you just stated above it WILL NOT ALLOW ME TO OBTAIN A HIGHER HP reading on a dyno, which is what you stated above.

I will break it down barney style. 350 RWHP= PORTED HEADS+ CAMS+ 4.56'S Vice 350rwhp= PORTED HEADS+CAMS+4.30'S according to your post above.
100% false and that is why my argument is about.

Maybe you are confusing yourself with a drag race verse making hp on a dyno. Gears are not needed to make hp on a dyno. They are needed to get me into my powerband faster so I can get a faster ET.
Old 08-14-2005, 10:22 PM
11 Second Club

99+ cobras can put down 350rwhp with cleaned up heads, bolt-ons, and modified stock intake. Pre-99 will take a little more. Bob's FS car had cleaned up Mach1 heads, stock intake, 10.5:1, and bolt-ons and put down 356rwhp. Saw the dyno sheet at NMRA 2 years ago. -Mark
Old 08-14-2005, 10:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by blackfang
This is your comment and quote
Maybe you are confusing yourself with a drag race verse making hp on a dyno. Gears are not needed to make hp on a dyno. They are needed to get me into my powerband faster so I can get a faster ET.

How many times has Redneck Z stated that gears do not add HP?
Old 08-14-2005, 10:41 PM
TECH Addict

QUOTE:99+ cobras can put down 350rwhp with cleaned up heads, bolt-ons, and modified stock intake. Pre-99 will take a little more. Bob's FS car had cleaned up Mach1 heads, stock intake, 10.5:1, and bolt-ons and put down 356rwhp.

Black fangs car does not have 10.5:1 compression or mach 1 heads. Big difference.

QUOTE: Maybe you are confusing yourself with a drag race verse making hp on a dyno. Gears are not needed to make hp on a dyno. They are needed to get me into my powerband faster so I can get a faster ET.

No offense, but have you been drinking tonight? I have been saying EXACTLY what you have for "5" times now. Gears DO NOT help or MAKE hp on a dyno. In fact, you will dyno lower with more gear. They are used to get you into your powerband faster and help with your ET's(just like you said). This is EXACTLY what you just said and EXACTLY what I have been saying for my last 5 posts now!!!!!!!!!! Please process this information!!!!!!!! If need be, go over all of my posts like 5 times and then maybe you will see what I have been trying to say OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER and OVER again!!!
Old 08-14-2005, 10:46 PM
TECH Addict

QUOTE: How many times has Redneck Z stated that gears do not add HP?

FIVE times, and I feel exhausted.

Quick Reply: 99 Mustang Cobra kill