Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

99 Mustang Cobra kill

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2005, 10:50 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Little did I know that my post would cause such dismay and havoc...crazy.
Old 08-14-2005, 11:19 PM
TECH Addict

so wait redneck I'm confused?? Gears add Hp right???
Old 08-14-2005, 11:21 PM
Staging Lane

^ that is what I take away from this
Old 08-15-2005, 03:51 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Redneck Z
QUOTE:99+ cobras can put down 350rwhp with cleaned up heads, bolt-ons, and modified stock intake. Pre-99 will take a little more. Bob's FS car had cleaned up Mach1 heads, stock intake, 10.5:1, and bolt-ons and put down 356rwhp.

Black fangs car does not have 10.5:1 compression or mach 1 heads. Big difference.
No but before this debate on page 2 if I am correct, I also said you can get 350rwhp out of a 99 cobra and you came across as if it took a "pot of gold" to do it. You can back pedal now.

Actually I'm an X 4.6 mustang guy and know quite a bit about these cars myself. What I said is that with ported B heads and the kind of cam you would need to reach close to 350 rwhp, you will need 4.56 gears. I wasn't talking about a stock car.
Again you stated in order to get that certain hp I will need more gear.
Again you are stating that without more of a gear I cant get 350rwhp. Thats what you stated in your above quote correct? All I need is a yes

Again you have failed to tell me why I would need 4.56 gears to make 350rwhp where a 4.10 gear or 4.30 gear can not on that same set up. I am not talking about using the hp, I am talking about obtaining it, like you stated above. It has already been noted elsewhere that you are a tool and actually the 4.56 would hurt that combo and out the motor out of the powerband and cause more loss of hp due to the short runner intake

I am done with this because after 5 times you fail to see that you stated I needed a certain gear ratio to make a certain rwhp, but claim its for drivability on a fvckin dyno
Old 08-15-2005, 04:49 AM
On The Tree

Its good to see that the Mustang vs F-body debate is alive and well. Im sure glad I own both.
Old 08-15-2005, 09:46 AM
TECH Regular

Is somebody mentally retarded here? Wait, does gears increase horsepower? I mean really, does it? I still didn't get it the 10th time so please elaborate. Take it easy on Blackfang, he drives a ford just messing with ya
Old 08-15-2005, 10:11 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

JUST SO EVERYONE IS CLEAR, GEARS DO NOT ADD HP!!!!!

Good luck with your mustang blackfang.
Old 08-15-2005, 10:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

How much money would it take to get a stock '99-01 Cobra at 350 HP? Cobras have good value and for what you get, I think they are way overpriced compared to an f-body. You can't find a '99-01 Cobra for under 13k. You can find many LS1 f-bodies (which are faster stock) for around 9-11k. I just don't understand why somebody would pay 2-3k more for a Cobra which is not as fast stock and a car that everybody drives.

I took a choice of some mods and you can get a LS1 f-body at or over 350 HP for less than a grand. Whisper air lid ($100)...WMRA kit ($130)...TSP Rumbler ($200)...TSP Y ($125)...Pacesetter coated LT's ($375). That right there would put a stock LS1 f-body at or over 350 HP for $930. I'm just curious, how much money would it take to put a '99-01 Cobra at 350 HP? IMO, for what you get, Cobras are overpriced. Just my 2 pennies.
Old 08-15-2005, 09:14 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by mc01ta
Is somebody mentally retarded here? Wait, does gears increase horsepower? I mean really, does it? I still didn't get it the 10th time so please elaborate. Take it easy on Blackfang, he drives a ford just messing with ya
I have driven both F-body and Mustangs btw

Still waiting on my answer as to why I need 4.56 gears to make 350 rwhp on a combo verse 4.30's there Redneck

I already know the hp and gear debate. I have been stating that for 4 years. However, you still have yet to back up your written claims as to why I need a 4.56 gear to make 350 rwhp on a ported B head/cams setup where a 4.30 gear can't. Actually many others who work with and race with the likes of Scott @ VT engine, guys at Foxlake, Boss 330 racing MD are waiting as well

Not debating the hp/gear issue. Just trying to get an answer from you as why you said I needed a 4.56 gear
Old 08-15-2005, 09:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

I will answer for him; it is not a necessity but 4.56 > 4.30 in a drag race, especially when the power is all the way up top. Not only is this extremely obvious, but failing to recognize this is even funnier. It is not a requirment, but you will go faster with 4.56 than a 4.30. Grow up.
Old 08-16-2005, 12:53 AM
TECH Addict

I almost crapped my pants when I read this: (quote: Still waiting on my answer as to why I need 4.56 gears to make 350 rwhp on a combo verse 4.30's there Redneck

Can anybody else count the SIX times I have explained myself to this guy. I didn't think this was possible. I hope he's just yankin' my chain, otherwise I'd like to have a psychologist explain this to him. It's beyond me. Here is one of my old posts Mr. Fang. Please write this post on the back of your hand and tie a string around your finger. Next time you feel the urge to ask the SAME QUESTION AGAIN!!!!, look at the string on your finger and read to the message: Gears do not add hp!!!!!!. When you mod your car, you usually make more hp, albeit at a higher rpm. You use gears to keep your rpm up into your power band. Once again, GEARS DO NOT ADD HP.

In other words, in kid terms. More gear will not add hp, but will support it by keeping you in a desired rpm range. With ported low velocity B heads and a big cam, 4.56 gears will keep your rpms up high enough to stay in your power band. With 4.30 gears, you may drop out of your sweet spot between shifts. IF ANYONE THINKS THIS IS NOT CLEAR ENOUGH, PLEASE HELP ME. !!!!!
Old 08-16-2005, 04:02 AM
TECH Resident

I almost crapped my pants when I read this: (quote: Still waiting on my answer as to why I need 4.56 gears to make 350 rwhp on a combo verse 4.30's there Redneck

In other words, in kid terms. More gear will not add hp, but will support it by keeping you in a desired rpm range. With ported low velocity B heads and a big cam, 4.56 gears will keep your rpms up high enough to stay in your power band. With 4.30 gears, you may drop out of your sweet spot between shifts. !!!!!
Yes you are confused...
AGAIN IF YOU ARE ON A DYNO AND IN 4TH GEAR(MEANING YOU ARE NOT SHIFTING) HOW WILL IT CAUSE YOUR RPMS TO DROP IN BETWEEN SHIFTS GENIUS IF YOU ARE NOT SHIFTING. YOU ARE ALREADY IN 4TH GEAR ON A DYNO!! . STOP CONFUSING THIS WITH GETTING INTO YOUR POWERBAND FASTER AND USING THE HP AT AN EARLIER RPM WHILE RACING.

Your concept is wrong period.
Old 08-16-2005, 04:06 AM
TECH Resident

Rear gearing doesn't keep you in a certain rpm range - transmission gears do that. A 7000 rpm DOHC runs best with 4.56s (or more) simply because they multiply torque more than any 'lesser' gear, and the engine has the rpm potential to make use of them. A 6000 rpm LS1 would accelerate better with 4.56s than it would with 4.30s too. Problem is, it would run out of rpm much sooner (6000 vs 7000), and thus that kind of gear isn't practical for most applications.

Dirty little secret...that rpm potential, and thus the gearing potential, is the main reason you see the quickest 320 RWHP bolt-on Cobra's running with or better than the quickest 350 RWHP bolt-on LS1s at the track (everything else being as equal as possible, manual trans).

And will agree that N/A 350+ RWHP DOHC cars are rather rare. Mine was stock cams, stock unported heads (good valve job), and stock unported intake. It did have a very good shortblock with flattop pistons (hence the compression, which was a bit more than 10.5:1, btw). Personally, I am not convinced of the longterm survivability of either strokers or big-bore modulars. I could certainly be wrong....we shall see.
Old 08-16-2005, 04:20 AM
TECH Addict

#1- I obviously wasn't talking about a dyno(duh). Look at the string on your finger and re-read my posts. This is very clear.

#2-I'm getting really embarrassed for you. In fact I almost feel sorry for you. You just aren't comprehending. I Think thats why I've kept my cool so well and have kept from insulting you. It's OK if you don't understand. Obviously I don't mind trying to help someone, I've been doing it for several pages now. I've been trying for so long now and I don't know what else to say. All I can do at this point is to suggest maybe calling someone and talking to them, or maybe you can do a search under the gear and drivetrain section. Good luck.
Old 08-16-2005, 06:57 AM
Launching!

good kill man
Old 08-16-2005, 10:27 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by blackfang
This is your comment and quote
Why are 4.56 gears needed to make 350rwhp on that set up where a 4.30 gear cant?

That right there states my 4.30's isnt enough and need to get rid of them and get 4.56's to make the 350 rwhp. Again 100% wrong. Yes gears may help me use my hp in a DRAG RACE, but what you just stated above it WILL NOT ALLOW ME TO OBTAIN A HIGHER HP reading on a dyno, which is what you stated above.
I think you are mis-reading what he posted. He is trying to explain it to you and you keep referring to his post and saying he is wrong. Read it again, slowly if necessary and understand what he is saying. He is clearly stating that the purpose of the 4.56 is to better utilize the power you will be making with said heads and cams, not to enable you to make more power. Seriously, read it again.

Actually I'm an X 4.6 mustang guy and know quite a bit about these cars myself. What I said is that with ported B heads and the kind of cam you would need to reach close to 350 rwhp, you will need 4.56 gears. I wasn't talking about a stock car.
Old 08-16-2005, 11:24 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by shawn_c992001
good kill man

Thank you!!! This post is total bullshit now lol. I quit viewing it alltogether.
Old 08-16-2005, 11:41 AM
Teching In

Yeah, sorry, good kill! I got caught up in the bs too and forgot what this thread even started as!
Old 08-16-2005, 11:45 AM
TECH Addict

So wait if gears add HP on a 99 cobra mustang will they add Hp if i get gears on my 98 LS1 and how much will they add?
Old 08-16-2005, 12:43 PM
TECH Resident

^ they give you about a 10% increase, but only in 4th gear and on the dyno

Quick Reply: 99 Mustang Cobra kill