Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

are GTI's fast?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2005, 08:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

He will never hit low 13's on street tires with those mods.
Old 09-08-2005, 08:34 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Gloveperson
He will never hit low 13's on street tires with those mods.
retard look what i posted. He will be in the low 14's maybe slower. With the N20 he might get mid 13's
Old 09-08-2005, 09:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup, probably someone who just threw extra boost and some nitrous at his car not realizing he needs the supporting mods for it to run properly and for it to hook up and make use of the extra power. If that is the case run him multiple times and watch his car explode on like the 4th or 5th run. Also QuickGTi18T what are your thoughs on the R32? I know the new one is supposed to be a 300 HP twin turbo version but what are your thoughs on the R32's that are out now, the 240 HP models? Only asking since you are a VW guy and might have some info on them. Like I was saying in my previous post my neighbor has one and we ran each other and we were both shocked at how slow it was. Are they easy to upgrade? He said he was gonna keep it stock since it would be fast enough for him from the factory but I can tell he is already itching to mod it. Any info would be great!
Old 09-08-2005, 10:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by QuickGTi18t
retard look what i posted. He will be in the low 14's maybe slower. With the N20 he might get mid 13's

Way to think I was responding to you. I didn't even read a word you wrote.

Piece of advice, you will probably get banned awfully soon with the type of additude you have.
Old 09-08-2005, 06:58 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by cantdrv65
No Gtis are very very slow....
thru that
Old 09-08-2005, 07:01 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 98Z28MASS
Yup, probably someone who just threw extra boost and some nitrous at his car not realizing he needs the supporting mods for it to run properly and for it to hook up and make use of the extra power. If that is the case run him multiple times and watch his car explode on like the 4th or 5th run. Also QuickGTi18T what are your thoughs on the R32? I know the new one is supposed to be a 300 HP twin turbo version but what are your thoughs on the R32's that are out now, the 240 HP models? Only asking since you are a VW guy and might have some info on them. Like I was saying in my previous post my neighbor has one and we ran each other and we were both shocked at how slow it was. Are they easy to upgrade? He said he was gonna keep it stock since it would be fast enough for him from the factory but I can tell he is already itching to mod it. Any info would be great!
i really dont like the R32's, i really dont like VW's that much I think a R32 is a rip off for what you get... STi or a EVo would be a better idea. i dont think VW will ever comeout with a TT R32.
Old 09-08-2005, 07:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

the hpa twin turbo kit makes it a nice car...other thna that..its a pig of a car that is underpowered....but the stock/aftermarket exhaust sound soooo nice on them.
Old 09-09-2005, 09:25 AM
TECH Addict

Yea the car is definitely set up nice, but I just dont see how they expect to get over $30,000 for a 240 HP turbo'ed car. Is the engine forged like the EVo's? I mean if its set up to make some serious numbers later on down the road then by all means its worth it, I just dont know enough about them and after seeing how slow a stock one ran I was in shock, I knew they were rated at 240 hp but I expected MUCH more from it for some reason. Hell my friends old golf gti with a bunch of bolt-ons would be a close match for the r32. Im just looking around at the diff. turbo'ed imports, such as the sti, evo, and r32 because i want another car I can mod and use in the winter for the awd and the r32 was on the list but its quickly falling off of it.
Old 09-09-2005, 06:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yea the car is definitely set up nice, but I just dont see how they expect to get over $30,000 for a 240 HP turbo'ed car. Is the engine forged like the EVo's? I mean if its set up to make some serious numbers later on down the road then by all means its worth it, I just dont know enough about them and after seeing how slow a stock one ran I was in shock, I knew they were rated at 240 hp but I expected MUCH more from it for some reason. Hell my friends old golf gti with a bunch of bolt-ons would be a close match for the r32. Im just looking around at the diff. turbo'ed imports, such as the sti, evo, and r32 because i want another car I can mod and use in the winter for the awd and the r32 was on the list but its quickly falling off of it.
if you get one of those...get a evo
Old 09-10-2005, 10:53 PM
11 Second Club

I have a 1.8t. I run mid 14's on a conservative tune, spiking 17#!
My car is about 200 lbs heavier than the GTI, I have a Jetta.
Recently I have seen a couple of GTIs run 13.8 @ 104 with stockturbo, no spray.
The R32 is a nice ******* car. It really isn't all about acceleration in one one of those, it is an awesomely handling ride. However, there are turbo kits for the r32 resulting in 600 hp to the wheels.
Really nice cars, those vdus, try it!!
Old 09-11-2005, 01:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey check this out http://videos.streetfire.net/Player....rm=dumbass&p=0
Old 09-12-2005, 10:26 AM
TECH Addict

Yea Im not hating on the R32 just because it doesnt accelerate like the Sti's and Evo's, im just saying that I expected more from it. As for the rest of the car its really nice. The seats are WAY more comfortable than the Evo and Sti's seats, the STI's arent too bad but the Evo's seats are BRUTAL! I mean I know they are full on racing seats but give me a break its like sitting in a stiff wooden chair, no comfort at all. Im still up in the air about the 3 cars. I like the EVO the most right now because it has a forged engine, whereas the STi doesnt (and has a top mount intercooler), and the r32 im not even sure about. If i do get the Evo though im gonna have to get some diff. seats, I dont think my body could take that punishment on my daily commute to work!
Old 09-12-2005, 10:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

although I agree with you. I think your missing the whole point.

Most manufactures (esp outside the US) don't build cars with the intention of people modding them. At least no further than a different set of alloys.

Also the R32 was never meant to compete against Evo's and STi's. Remember its a Golf. A small hatchback, used primerily for commuting and getting the shopping. The best selling models are the 1.9 litre turbo diesel and the 1.4 petrol.

Golf's over the years have lept up in price for some reason, but they are not worth the extra cost. Still the target audiance for the R32 is the young (or old wanting to be young) middle management type. Who would really love to buy a Porshce Boxster but don't earn enough, besides tey can still put the kids in the R32.

Direct alternatives to it would be a 328/330 BMW. They for the most part should be solid, DULL, quiet, DULL, rapid not fast, DULL, safe, DULL, reliable, DULL and useable every day.
Old 09-12-2005, 11:05 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
although I agree with you. I think your missing the whole point.

Most manufactures (esp outside the US) don't build cars with the intention of people modding them. At least no further than a different set of alloys.

Also the R32 was never meant to compete against Evo's and STi's. Remember its a Golf. A small hatchback, used primerily for commuting and getting the shopping. The best selling models are the 1.9 litre turbo diesel and the 1.4 petrol.

Golf's over the years have lept up in price for some reason, but they are not worth the extra cost. Still the target audiance for the R32 is the young (or old wanting to be young) middle management type. Who would really love to buy a Porshce Boxster but don't earn enough, besides tey can still put the kids in the R32.

Direct alternatives to it would be a 328/330 BMW. They for the most part should be solid, DULL, quiet, DULL, rapid not fast, DULL, safe, DULL, reliable, DULL and useable every day.
Yea I agree 100%, the R32 is pretty dull. Well built but dull in the acceleration department and still most people seem to think it is some sort of God in the import tuner world. I only looked at it because I think its styling is pretty attractive and the interior is very nice as is the suspension/handeling, but like you have said why would anyone pay the same sticker price for an r32 when you could get a very nice BMW or Audi for the same price, especially if it was made to be dull? I trhink that the R32 was initially made to compete with other sports compacts but I think it missed its goal and they ended up with simply a more luxurious and better handling golf, which isnt what it was advertised as. So yes it is dull, but i think that was more of a mistake than a goal by VW.
Old 09-12-2005, 11:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Don't give the R32 too much credit... it's not AWD.. its glorified FWD.
Old 09-12-2005, 12:21 PM
TECH Addict

Hahaha yea I hear ya. Not trying to "Over-hype" the r32 like everyone else. I think its a well made car but nothing near what the hype there was around it prior to coming to the US and when it first hit the streets. All my import buddies were drooling over the thing, like it was a skyline or something of that nature. However after seeing the thing in person and seeing how it performs they have all changed their minds and purchased EVO's or STI's. I think the EVO would be the best bet to mod, but the interior is dogshit. I cant get over the seats. Haha everytime I ride in my buddies EVO's and bitch about the seats they get all pissed and defend them saying that unlike my z28 it was built to be a race car from the factory but deep down they know how uncomfortable they really are. Ah well, I wish they made an AWD Camaro/Trans Am/Corvette or that it didnt have to ******* snow so much in New England!
Old 09-12-2005, 01:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by jman050
Theres a kid in my dorm talking trash about his buddys GTI. I wasnt going to immediatly retaliate because I dont know anything about them so I was hoping someone here could give me some info. Its a brand new GTI so im assuming 2004-2005 its pushing 20lbs of boost on the stock turbos ,"some nos", and "a bunch of other stuff" so im assuming intake exhaust. I couldnt get anymore specifics than that. so is this thing fast?

20lbs stock turbos
intake
exhaust
"some nos"

Well hears some info first hand. Volkswagans fucken suck and are a pain in the ***. But My freinds GTI with turbo back, Intake chiped, on a DR with a 75 shot at 20 psi went 12.8, Thats pretty good and most VW people wont ever see times like that even with turbo upgrades. There very finicky cars, Ill never own one.
Old 09-12-2005, 01:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Yea I agree 100%, the R32 is pretty dull. Well built but dull in the acceleration department and still most people seem to think it is some sort of God in the import tuner world. I only looked at it because I think its styling is pretty attractive and the interior is very nice as is the suspension/handeling, but like you have said why would anyone pay the same sticker price for an r32 when you could get a very nice BMW or Audi for the same price, especially if it was made to be dull? I trhink that the R32 was initially made to compete with other sports compacts but I think it missed its goal and they ended up with simply a more luxurious and better handling golf, which isnt what it was advertised as. So yes it is dull, but i think that was more of a mistake than a goal by VW.

No one in the import world thinks it god, Actually everyone thinks it fucken junk and a waste of money and fucken time, VW people arent to pleased with them either knowing a full bolton gti will walk one. Pretty sad
Old 09-12-2005, 01:50 PM
TECH Addict

Lol im just goin on all the hype I heard prior to it arriving in the US. Like I was saying my buddies though it was a work of god prior to it arriving, then once seeing how badly it performed they started bashing the thing. I agree with you 100%, my buddies bolt on golf gti would probably hang very well with the r32 straight line. All in all just dissapointed in it after hearing so much about it, thats all.
Old 09-12-2005, 02:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Lol im just goin on all the hype I heard prior to it arriving in the US. Like I was saying my buddies though it was a work of god prior to it arriving, then once seeing how badly it performed they started bashing the thing. I agree with you 100%, my buddies bolt on golf gti would probably hang very well with the r32 straight line. All in all just dissapointed in it after hearing so much about it, thats all.

It was VERY VERY hyped up and all this talk of it and ended up being a let down.

Quick Reply: are GTI's fast?