Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

are GTI's fast?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2005, 02:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea I hear that. I guess the new R32 is gonna be a twin turbo 300 hp car from the factory, or at least thats what one of the car mags said. I cant remember which one but they said that thats what VW was shooting for. I guess the r32 though was/is in high demand because my neighbor had to put a down payment to reserve one and then it took months for them to deliver on it. I dont understand why they didnt put a turbo on it either! Are they retarded? Granted its a bigger displacement engine versus the competition (3.2L as opposed to the 2.0 in the Evo and the 2.5 in the STI) but the thing looks/sounds to be near maxed out N/A from the factory. If they threw a turbo on from the factory pushing a modest amount of PSI it would have been a monster and easy to tune/mod. Ah well, they def fucked up!
Old 09-13-2005, 03:49 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 98Z28MASS
get all pissed and defend them saying that unlike my z28 it was built to be a race car from the factory
funny thing is they never where. The Mitsubishi Lancer has to be one of the dullest most boring family saloons out there. So much so that they arn't even sold in Europe.

If the Evo didn't have a turbocharger no one would give it a second look (even if it kept the OTT wing!)

The car the Evo is based on. Do you think it looks like a race car?

Originally Posted by SporkLover
Don't give the R32 too much credit... it's not AWD.. its glorified FWD.
funnily enough that is a very accurate description. As the engine is transverse like a fwd car instead of longitudinal as per a rwd it makes the 4wd system quite unique. It also means it is no where near as good as the 4wd system in the Evo/Sti's. As another downer it also raises the centre of gravity, thus an Audi TT is supposed to be small and sleek but is actually taller than many full size family cars.
Old 09-13-2005, 08:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the EVO would be the best bet to mod, but the interior is dogshit. I cant get over the seats. Haha everytime I ride in my buddies EVO's and bitch about the seats they get all pissed
Looks are subjective And my opinion is that don't throw stones when living in a Glass house..... the Camaro interior doesnt give much room to poke fun at other cars. And your friends that say your car isn't built to be a race car.... just tell them that a race car doesnt have to have stupid uncomfortable Recaro seats...... And then challenge him to a race and see which is a better race car!

My SRT-4 had huge bolsters on the seats....Viper Inspired... that most say are uncomfortable... but I thought was a breath of fresh air, nice to not going from side to side in your seat when tossing the car into a turn.... I wish the camaro had bigger bolsters.....
Old 09-13-2005, 08:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
funnily enough that is a very accurate description. As the engine is transverse like a fwd car instead of longitudinal as per a rwd it makes the 4wd system quite unique. It also means it is no where near as good as the 4wd system in the Evo/Sti's. As another downer it also raises the centre of gravity, thus an Audi TT is supposed to be small and sleek but is actually taller than many full size family cars.
Sadly it is true..... I poke fun at my R32 driving buddy for that reason all the time. He is in denial.

and that Base model Lancer = t3h s3xxy
Old 09-13-2005, 09:41 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SporkLover
Looks are subjective And my opinion is that don't throw stones when living in a Glass house..... the Camaro interior doesnt give much room to poke fun at other cars. And your friends that say your car isn't built to be a race car.... just tell them that a race car doesnt have to have stupid uncomfortable Recaro seats...... And then challenge him to a race and see which is a better race car!

My SRT-4 had huge bolsters on the seats....Viper Inspired... that most say are uncomfortable... but I thought was a breath of fresh air, nice to not going from side to side in your seat when tossing the car into a turn.... I wish the camaro had bigger bolsters.....
Yea I hear ya, haha nothing competes with the luxurious f-body interior. I was mainly referring to the seats though, even though the rest of the interior isnt all that great either. I actually really like the srt-4's interior. My best friend has an 04 Silver Srt-4 and I really like the seats. I have to agree with you the side bolsters really hold you in the drivers seat when turning, unlike the f-body, where your bouncing off the drivers side door when taking a hard right. Im 6'8 240 pounds, so its hard for me to find a car that im comfortable in but I fit pretty well into my camaro (of course with the seat full reclined). I also found the srt-4 to be pretty damn roomy for its size. Ive driven my buddies EVO MR and there isnt nearly as much room, nor did I think there was that much room in the STI either. I wish dodge made the srt-4 with awd, I would get one in a second. I considered one for a while and almost bought a brand new one a few months ago but Im not sure how its gonna do in the snow, even with blizzaks on the front tires im still a bit hesitant because im in massachusetts and we get a ton of snow.
Old 09-13-2005, 11:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I wish dodge made the srt-4 with awd, I would get one in a second. I considered one for a while and almost bought a brand new one a few months ago but Im not sure how its gonna do in the snow, even with blizzaks on the front tires im still a bit hesitant because im in massachusetts and we get a ton of snow.
Good Choice.... SRT = t3h suck in the snow... and with the stock rubber you are guaranteed an accident (So KDW's, or Michelin Pilots)

US manufacturers are starting to think like Europeans when it comes to small cars (to my dismay) and the next generation Neon will be a Hatchback (avant?)......but it will ride on the same platform as the neon. The rumor is churning, and some of the info leaking out of Dodge is that the next Gen SRT-4... might actually be an AWD SRT-6. This little hatch is supposed to have the same AWD system as the EVO, but be powered by a Mitsu/Hyndai/Daimler Chrylser V6, dubbed the world engine. Too bad the car is uglier than it already is....
Old 09-13-2005, 03:15 PM
TECH Addict

They are gonna turn the srt-4 into a hatch? Damn that sucks. If they kept the same body styling, or slightly changed the body lines so that it would look less like a base neon AND made it an srt-6 with awd that would be ****** awesome! If they turn it into a hatch I think they are making a mistake. Give me an srt-4 with the same body style with awd and an srt-6 engine and i would be sold in an instant.

Quick Reply: are GTI's fast?