Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

GN's vs. 03'/04' SVT Cobras

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2005, 09:36 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My bet is with the GN! I've seen lots of GN's in the 11's-9's, and only one SC Cobra in the 11's (personally witnessed anyways)!!!
Old 09-07-2005, 09:40 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cantdrv65
Well since we're running race engines how about a GN with a KB500 dropped between the rails running a twin screw @ 100psi and injected with 100% nitro-methane, backhalved of course, automan pneumatic clutch all tuned by Alan Johnson...

Gotta like the GN's chances there? Huh Huh? lol
You cheated...bastard. Nitro methane is for ricers.
Old 09-07-2005, 09:50 PM
Staging Lane

I would have to say the GN. running 10's takes a little cash to do it right (no breakage and stuff), but lots of 10 sec GN's running around. They would kill a Cobra from a stand still at the track. Even if the Cobra put down same RWHP, it would most deifnitely lose. GN's where built to do one thing good, and thats 1/4 mile, 1/8 mile period. You wont see many running around on the HWy doing little burst from 70-120mph, thats not what true drag racing was meant to be and isnt. Cobras have technology on there side, but tecvhnology aint getting it to the end of the 1/4 first against the GN. I own a stage 2 GN, runs mid 9's at only 24#'s boost, with lots more in it, and yes its very street legal and the license plate says it all "FEAR". I know it takes more cash to get the legends running that strong and not break, but there is nothing like one and thats why I sold my Z28 to my brother, (being built with 2 turbo's stroked 351). On the street, most of them are driving around with the boost turned down, but once at the strip with better gas, boost goes up and watch out. They may be 80's, but their crazy quick.
Old 09-08-2005, 09:43 AM
Staging Lane

I own both...anybody want my opinion?
Old 09-08-2005, 11:15 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by gnxs
Of course we do, Ok, at least I do.
Old 09-08-2005, 12:11 PM

Received 161 Likes on 99 Posts

On a budget or not, Id say the Cobra is by far the better car. Also when you want a street car, hit the brakes at 80mph and turn, try that with the GN and youd be a little upset. Both are bad cars but the Cobra gets my vote. Its also the BEST looking Mustang E V E R made IMO.
Old 09-08-2005, 12:36 PM
Teching In

I love my GN, but it's like comparing apples and oranges. Obviously the Cobra has more technology on its side, and its almost double the price new, granted money doesn't go as far as it did in 1987.

Stock, the GN is starting with over a 100 horse handicap, and 2 less cylinders. Race gas, extra boost etc. narrows the gap, but those could also make the mustang faster too. From what I've seen, (just my opinion) it's a bit tricky for a novice to get a GN doing deep 11's on a stock turbo, unless you are running incredible amounts of boost or have heads/cam etc. It also seems that the Cobra's I've watched at the track seem to get pretty high mph for the ET, whereas GN's seem to run low ET's for their mph. This might mean that GN's have an advantage out of the hole, for the first 1/8 mile.

I think the Cobra would have the advantage on the top end, second 1/8 mile. My GN feels like a death trap at over 100 mph, GM didn't make this car for the twistys

Of course in terms of bang-for-the-buck, I think the GN wins.

Just my .02,

Pete
Old 09-08-2005, 01:39 PM
On The Tree

Your sig says it all.
Old 09-08-2005, 05:45 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm clearly biased but my vote is for the GN. They have been around a long time now and there are lots of proven street combinations for 11s, 10s and faster. Not too many will ever get much faster than low 12s with the stock turbo especially with the availabilty of cheap aftermarket turbos but it can be done. As for 03/04 Cobras, I have more respect for them than I do any mustang around which is saying a lot since I ain't exactly a mustang guy. Like the GN, they have loads of untapped potential right out of the box. But unlike the GN, they don't really light my fire personally.
Outdated styling? I guess so. The cars are nearly 20 years old and were designed in the early 80s. A 69 Camaro looks pretty outdated too but I'd still love to have one.
Old 09-08-2005, 07:14 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 00Z28NBM
I don't want to start any flames or anything, but which do you think would be faster in 1/4. I know some variables may be somewhat different on both cars, but which would be quicker: a modded bolt-on only GN or a modded bolt only supercharged 03/04 Cobra? My neighbor swears the GN would give the Cobra fits, but I don't know. What you guys think??

In stock trim the Cobra is head and shoulders above the GN, I don't think there's much argument there.

Modded to the level typical of the average enthusiast and the Cobra will still always be in front. Only when things are taken to the next level does the playing field start to even out.

The GN is far easier to launch and can achieve impressive ETs with relatively little power (mph). The Cobra's trap impressively, but can't match a GN out of the hole (again similarly modded). Early in my Cobra's life, I went to the track with a smaller pulley for the Eaton and bolt-ons and ran on Nitto DRs. I was running 11.9@120, while a moderately modded GN on slicks was able to run a 12.0@only 109.

Personally, it was FAR easier to get my Cobra to an 11.2@126 than it was to get my GN to 11.5@117, nevermind the 10's. In fact, on the stock GN short block (ported heads/cam) and lots of other goodies, a good turbo (for the time) and good intercooler, I was slower than my blower swap, bolt on 3700 pound Cobra. (And yes I know there are faster GNs with the mods I had, but the same can be said of the Cobra.)

However, when the weaknesses of each car are addressed, they can both be made to perform similarly, even though there aren't any SUPER FAST (7 second) "Terminators" yet (since it's a relatively new package compared to the 20 year old GN).

Stage II Stroker Motors, alcohol injection, big boost, etc. evens out the inherent HP advantage of the Cobra. Solid axle swaps, forced induction upgrades (twin-screw blowers/turbos), weight reduction, etc. helps the Cobra get out of the hole more like the GN.

Both motors are strong (the Cobras is ALL Forged), both take to upgrades well and both are the "bang-for-the-modding-buck" champions of their day. Pricing isn't a fair comparison unless you calculate the GN price in today's dollars. You also need to consider the amount of mods the GN would need to be able to brake and handle like even a stock Cobra.

IMO, the Cobra is easier to make fast until you get down to seriously fast street car territory. I mean I went 12.0 on the stock F1's with only a pulley upgrade and basic bolt-ons. IMO, it would've taken a hell of a lot more to get my GN there on true radials.

I LOVE both cars. I always miss the GNs easy, consistent 1.4-1.5 short times (on a stock suspension with air-bags and slicks ) when I'm in my Cobra, but I love the top end charge of my bolt-on cobra. My GN always inspires more confidence in street encounters, since it's SO easy to be consistent with (easy to launch, no missed gears), but the Cobra is more rewarding to get a good number from since it's harder to be consistent with (for me anyway).

Two awesome packages from their respective mfrs.

For me the Cobra is the GN of the current era. That's about the best compliment I could pay BOTH of them.
Old 09-08-2005, 09:20 PM
Staging Lane

I would agreea nd 2nd that
Old 09-08-2005, 09:38 PM
Administrator

Early in my Cobra's life, I went to the track with a smaller pulley for the Eaton and bolt-ons and ran on Nitto DRs. I was running 11.9@120, while a moderately modded GN on slicks was able to run a 12.0@only 109.
That's not a fair comparison. DR's vs. slicks? I agree with you that the GN will get out of the hole better though. Guys are starting to decrease 60's significantly these days. 1.50's are getting to be "normal" on a real tire even on the IRS.

However, when the weaknesses of each car are addressed, they can both be made to perform similarly, even though there aren't any SUPER FAST (7 second) "Terminators" yet (since it's a relatively new package compared to the 20 year old GN).
There is (was) at least one 8 second Terminator and there are many in the 9's. Are there any 7 second GN's? I honestly don't know since my GN knowledge is limited.

Both motors are strong (the Cobras is ALL Forged), both take to upgrades well and both are the "bang-for-the-modding-buck" champions of their day. Pricing isn't a fair comparison unless you calculate the GN price in today's dollars. You also need to consider the amount of mods the GN would need to be able to brake and handle like even a stock Cobra.
Good points.

IMO, the Cobra is easier to make fast until you get down to seriously fast street car territory.
I'm not so sure about that. A turbo kit on a 100% bone stock motor with the rest of the basics will put a Terminator in the 9's. That's only $12-$15K. No big deal really when you're talking serious mods.

I LOVE both cars. I always miss the GNs easy, consistent 1.4-1.5 short times (on a stock suspension with air-bags and slicks )
That is damned impressive.
Old 09-08-2005, 10:01 PM
Teching In

GN's Rule, Duttweiller went 7.20's and Bill anderson 7.50's all GN's. Where are the Cobra's. If the Fastest Cobras were to attend the Buick Nationals They would have their *** handed to them. Ford came out with the Modular engine in the early 90's and its taken them what,13 years to figure it out
Old 09-08-2005, 10:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 454sst
GN's Rule, Duttweiller went 7.20's and Bill anderson 7.50's all GN's. Where are the Cobra's. If the Fastest Cobras were to attend the Buick Nationals They would have their *** handed to them. Ford came out with the Modular engine in the early 90's and its taken them what,13 years to figure it out
ummm, I'm not sure you are aware that there are faster mod. motors. There are a LOT of modular motors in the 7's.

With that said, I couldn't agree more with GNXS that the 03/4 cobra is the GN of the new era. My old man (HATES FORDS) has owned 4 grand nationals in the past, and also told me that hands down, not only is my car at minimal the equivalent of the past gn/ttype, it is better in every way. He still doesn't like my car since it's a ford though
Old 09-08-2005, 10:22 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by unit213
That's not a fair comparison. DR's vs. slicks? I agree with you that the GN will get out of the hole better though. Guys are starting to decrease 60's significantly these days. 1.50's are getting to be "normal" on a real tire even on the IRS.
Agreed, but my general point was made and is valid.

On a "real tire" 1.5's happen occasionally with Cobras, but are not the "norm". I saw a thread on ModFords recently asking for short times people were getting on DRs. I seem to remember the majority were 1.7's. Correct me if I'm wrong. My personal best on a DR is a 1.698 in my Cobra, never had one on the GN.

There is (was) at least one 8 second Terminator and there are many in the 9's. Are there any 7 second GN's? I honestly don't know since my GN knowledge is limited.
Yes.

I'm not so sure about that. A turbo kit on a 100% bone stock motor with the rest of the basics will put a Terminator in the 9's. That's only $12-$15K. No big deal really when you're talking serious mods.
I wasn't saying that after that point the GN was the easier route, just that the paths begin to converge. You can't beat cubic inches, 4-valve heads, and a forged motor. However, a very good number street driven 9 second GNs are out there also (albeit probably for slightly more $$$ in mods - Stage II Motor in many cases).

I think with the turbo Cobras just really coming out in numbers now, alot of insanely fast street Cobras will be roaming around next Summer.
Old 09-08-2005, 10:29 PM
Administrator

gnxs - I'm with ya. You're making a lot of good sense. It's obvious that the real "downfall" of the Terminator is weight. It's a street terror now, but at 3200lbs it would be legendary.
Old 09-08-2005, 10:34 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 454sst
Nice examples of 7 second Buicks, I also personally saw Lawrence Connelly go 7.78 at E-Town on a 12 inch slick in the mid 90's.

The rest of your response isn't really accurate. Might as well start the clock on turbo buicks with the 1978 editions, which are far from impressive. There's plenty of Mod Motor Mustangs in the 7's and 8's; however, the thread starter mentioned GNs and 03-04 Cobras.
Old 09-09-2005, 12:32 AM
On The Tree

I'm gonna agree with GNXs completely, very well thought out and balanced post. Both cars are badass.... and from personal experience 03-4 cobras are some of the scariest cars on the road to me. It seems like all the ones i run into are 11 sec or better cars. What ever happened to the days that driving my mid to low 11 sec street car meant I would win more than you would lose lol. Add in how well cam only or nitrous Ls1s are running and there are a whole lotta street cars out there that can lay down some killer numbers.
Old 09-09-2005, 09:36 AM
On The Tree

Nice write up gnxs...
Here some good GN, Turbo buick and GM turbo cars and trucks sites for thos who are lookin for info......
http://www.t6p.com/forums/index.php
http://turbobuicks.net/forums/
Old 09-09-2005, 09:45 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Joegt38
Nice write up gnxs...
Here some good GN, Turbo buick and GM turbo cars and trucks sites for thos who are lookin for info......
http://www.t6p.com/forums/index.php
http://turbobuicks.net/forums/
Joe,

Going to MSC 4.0 tomorrow (our bi-annual track rental)?