Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Not a kill, but close. my evo vs 380 whp z06 (vid)

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2005, 02:58 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Quik Z06
Nice run EvilDylan...Only part I have trouble with is missing and still catching up a bit. Only reason I say it is because I own both and once the Z06 gets going its a beast.

I havent raced my wife since the new mods, but one time we were on the freeway and we both took off in 4th and to my surprise I hung for a bit before she started pulling away, but she didnt pull hard (and yes my wife can drive, better than most guys Ive seen) I know after shifting to 5th it would be over, she would destroy me but a nicely modded Evo can hang with most cars at any speed IMO. I know I have surprised a Few TA's and Ram Airs on the freeway (in the Evo)
Give that EVO to AMS, i love the cars you have ZO6 and EVO best of both worlds...
Old 09-08-2005, 04:20 AM
TECH Regular

Haha, yeah AMS is nice, but im more than happy with my WORKS mods. Once my motor goes WORKS will be doing a 2.4L and I'll probably already have a GT30 by then
Old 09-08-2005, 05:02 AM
12 Second Club

I never said I didn't believe him. I honestly can't really tell what exactly happened in that video, but I do believe him that he beat that z06 or was close of doing so, but I think that the outcome should have been different if z06 was driven by someone else.
Old 09-08-2005, 05:22 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by OdessitPashka
330awhp<380rwhp. When the weight is about the same from a roll race, you with less power should lose from a roll. It's just common ******* sense! Ask anyone!?!

He must of been a poor driver
Poor driver possibly.

But more power doesn't always mean faster. There is such a thing as Power delivery. And there's a good chance that the Evo is making similar power to the Vette at the engine when you take into account dirvetrain loss. And although statidtically speaking the Evo has less power at the wheels it still has a lot of power being transmitted to the road.

Traction may not be an issue at speed, but the simple fact that 4 wheels are propelling the car as opposed to 2 wheels will make a difference.
Old 09-08-2005, 08:22 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Quik Z06
Nice run EvilDylan...Only part I have trouble with is missing and still catching up a bit. Only reason I say it is because I own both and once the Z06 gets going its a beast.

I havent raced my wife since the new mods, but one time we were on the freeway and we both took off in 4th and to my surprise I hung for a bit before she started pulling away, but she didnt pull hard (and yes my wife can drive, better than most guys Ive seen) I know after shifting to 5th it would be over, she would destroy me but a nicely modded Evo can hang with most cars at any speed IMO. I know I have surprised a Few TA's and Ram Airs on the freeway (in the Evo)
Dont mean to thread jack but Quik Z06 you have a sweet garage
Old 09-08-2005, 08:41 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
Poor driver possibly.

But more power doesn't always mean faster. There is such a thing as Power delivery. And there's a good chance that the Evo is making similar power to the Vette at the engine when you take into account dirvetrain loss. And although statidtically speaking the Evo has less power at the wheels it still has a lot of power being transmitted to the road.

Traction may not be an issue at speed, but the simple fact that 4 wheels are propelling the car as opposed to 2 wheels will make a difference.

What the hell does this mean??? It doesnt matter if a car makes 8 million HP at the crank if it only gets 200 to the ground its still only 200 to the ground meaning its only getting 200 useable HP. From a roll AWD is not an advantage its a disadvantage.

I nominate this worst video ever. Any seconds???
Old 09-08-2005, 08:52 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by OdessitPashka
Let your very low dyno be done on the same dyno as corvette got his done. What are you gonna get? 320awhp? Maybe 330?

330awhp<380rwhp. When the weight is about the same from a roll race, you with less power should lose from a roll. It's just common ******* sense! Ask anyone!?!

He must of been a poor driver

Any other questions Mr. I CANT DO THE MATH!?
my very low reading dyno has shown 280 whp to equal 350 whp on other dynos, so its entirely possible that i would make the same, if not more power on the same dyno that the z06 did.

any more questions MR I MAKE EVERY ASSUMPTION EVER?
Old 09-08-2005, 08:54 AM
Teching In

and LOL @ the poor driver excuses.

ok, so how poor of a driver do you have to be to screw up racing from a roll? not including missing a shift cause that can happen to anyone no matter how poor or great of a driver they are.

sorry, but i think you guys are reaching out now. I have the video, it pretty obvious how far behind i was (not much) and roll racing is very simple. nevermind the fact that he was probably over 200 lbs heavier than i was at the time.
Old 09-08-2005, 09:14 AM
11 Second Club

wow chill guys lets just for get the numbers here and say yup he kept up to the z06

i got beat by a ******* HONDA civic and i have nearly 500 HP!!!! i was not a sore loser or anything and i hope you would not bash the civic...cause it's ******* fast

i will respect anything if the car is fast and if the driver is cool.
Old 09-08-2005, 10:20 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

man...i wish i could cruise with 4 vettes, a t/a, and a quik evo around here...lol..would make for an interesting night on the highway.

maybe the vette missed a gear???...
I cant see your evo..with..lets be generous, 360whp, pull on a vette with 380rwhp on a roll race...you lose alot through drag due to the awd, which is another factor.

cant really tell whats going on in the vid cause.."IT SUCKS"....but i guess anything can happen...goodjob.
Old 09-08-2005, 10:33 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by necrocannibal
What the hell does this mean??? It doesnt matter if a car makes 8 million HP at the crank if it only gets 200 to the ground its still only 200 to the ground meaning its only getting 200 useable HP. From a roll AWD is not an advantage its a disadvantage.

I nominate this worst video ever. Any seconds???
the vid maybe.

but I think dyno numbers are very misleading when comparing 4wd with 2wd.

Yes the Evo has 2 extra diffs to turn, 1 porshaft extra and a pair of driveshafts. But in all reality some of these components are going to have a constant loss rate. Meaning that they require X amount of power to turn them regardless of the input power. Some of the components of course are friction bearing, and their power consuption will increase as a % (proabably a moderatly decreaing percentage) as the engine output is increased.

It is generally excepted that 4wd cars loose more power than 2wd cars. But the difference probably isn't massive. So although the engine outputs are closer I would still put the Vette as having the most power.

Basically the point I'm trying to make is. That the 'extra' weight of the drivetrain and addtional bhp loose is probably only minimal on the 4wd car. Add to this the fact the it distributes its power via 4 wheels. Meaning each wheel has less forces to deal with, reducing any tyre flex and suspension loading. The Vette has a lot of power to deploy thru only 2 wheels, thus vastly increasing the forces each wheel/suspension and chassis is under during hard accelaration. These forces will still be present even if traction is maintained, maybe more so.

As Newton states, "every action or force has an equal reaction".

To accelarate the tyre pushes down on the road, and the road will effectivly push up on the tyre. But as the wheel is round and rotating the force will be converted in forward motion. Yet some of the resultant engery will be lost by pushing the car up as well. (which oddly enough atually appears as squating, becuase the suspension 'winds itself up').

With the Vette as it is distributing the power thru 2 wheels, it may be delivering more power to each wheel, but the force will be creater resulting in more lost energy. The 4wd setup of the Evo should loose less as the force applied is spread over 4 wheels.

Wht do you think, bulsh*t? Well possibly.

But it may explain why a car with about the same power/weight ratio was in effect faster than the car with more power to the road.
Old 09-08-2005, 10:54 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
the vid maybe.

but I think dyno numbers are very misleading when comparing 4wd with 2wd.

Yes the Evo has 2 extra diffs to turn, 1 porshaft extra and a pair of driveshafts. But in all reality some of these components are going to have a constant loss rate. Meaning that they require X amount of power to turn them regardless of the input power. Some of the components of course are friction bearing, and their power consuption will increase as a % (proabably a moderatly decreaing percentage) as the engine output is increased.

It is generally excepted that 4wd cars loose more power than 2wd cars. But the difference probably isn't massive. So although the engine outputs are closer I would still put the Vette as having the most power.

Basically the point I'm trying to make is. That the 'extra' weight of the drivetrain and addtional bhp loose is probably only minimal on the 4wd car. Add to this the fact the it distributes its power via 4 wheels. Meaning each wheel has less forces to deal with, reducing any tyre flex and suspension loading. The Vette has a lot of power to deploy thru only 2 wheels, thus vastly increasing the forces each wheel/suspension and chassis is under during hard accelaration. These forces will still be present even if traction is maintained, maybe more so.

As Newton states, "every action or force has an equal reaction".

To accelarate the tyre pushes down on the road, and the road will effectivly push up on the tyre. But as the wheel is round and rotating the force will be converted in forward motion. Yet some of the resultant engery will be lost by pushing the car up as well. (which oddly enough atually appears as squating, becuase the suspension 'winds itself up').

With the Vette as it is distributing the power thru 2 wheels, it may be delivering more power to each wheel, but the force will be creater resulting in more lost energy. The 4wd setup of the Evo should loose less as the force applied is spread over 4 wheels.

Wht do you think, bulsh*t? Well possibly.

But it may explain why a car with about the same power/weight ratio was in effect faster than the car with more power to the road.
WTF are you talkin about?!?!?!?!

j/k...but seriously...i understood somewhat what you were tryin to get across...but it doesnt quite work like that....just because it has the power going to the 4 wheels instead of just 2 doesnt mean its takin less force to move those perticuler wheels. what you have to understand is that on a rwd car, two wheels are doin all the haul but the 2 front wheels have no force slowin them down except for the tire itself, therefore reducing coefficient drag. in a 4wheel drive car i may not spend as much power to turn the wheels but it will spend it tryin to rotate the second differential/axles/etc.etc.
Old 09-08-2005, 11:21 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TNTramair
WTF are you talkin about?!?!?!?!

j/k...but seriously...i understood somewhat what you were tryin to get across...but it doesnt quite work like that....just because it has the power going to the 4 wheels instead of just 2 doesnt mean its takin less force to move those perticuler wheels. what you have to understand is that on a rwd car, two wheels are doin all the haul but the 2 front wheels have no force slowin them down except for the tire itself, therefore reducing coefficient drag. in a 4wheel drive car i may not spend as much power to turn the wheels but it will spend it tryin to rotate the second differential/axles/etc.etc.
yeah I don't think I'm correct.

Just the old adage that 4wd IS slower than 2wd doesn't always seem to add up. Esp in such different vehicles.

In a recent 0-100-0 test in autocar magazine, the new Evo VIIII (9) posted almost identical times to a C6 Corvette M6 Z51.

This Evo here is making more power so should be faster.

Lightly modded C5 Z06 against a lightly modded Evo VIII - I can well believe that it'd be close.
Old 09-08-2005, 12:23 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by EvilDylan
my very low reading dyno has shown 280 whp to equal 350 whp on other dynos, so its entirely possible that i would make the same, if not more power on the same dyno that the z06 did.

any more questions MR I MAKE EVERY ASSUMPTION EVER?
Well, you came here telling us that you are making 304whp and now you are telling me that you might be making even more than 380? so which one it is?

Poor driver might not shift on time, poor driver might not powershift, poor driver might shift very slow, etc.... Ever heard of those, or were you born yesterday?
Old 09-08-2005, 12:42 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah exactly you were the one who posted the numbers comparison of your 304whp Evo vs a 380rwhp Z06 and made no mention that your numbers were from a supposedly super low reading dyno, until recently. And if you are telling me that dyno is reading 60-80rwhp less than other dynos, than you are either full of **** or there is something seriously wrong with that dyno.

Regarding the race, yeah maybe your car hung with that car in that particular race that particular night b/c of other unseen factors (one of them being the hp numbers you are giving may not be correct) but I'm sorry but a 300-330rwhp Evo is definitely going to get beat down by a 380rwhp Z06 on the highway, sorry, ESPECIALLY if the Evo driver mis-shifts!

It's not rocket science. Similar weight but one has a lot more power, better drag coeffiecient and rwd vs AWD, not too mention Z's are known to pull like raped apes up top etc etc...

Last edited by KB99WS6; 09-08-2005 at 12:48 PM.
Old 09-08-2005, 12:52 PM
Staging Lane

Boooo hooooo , *whine* *moan*

THAT EVO DID keep up with THAT Z06. There's a period at the end of that sentance, because all the bench racing speculation for the sake of saving face for that Z06 doesn't change things. Sometimes 8 < 4, and that's just the case plain and simple. Now, the Z06 has WAY more potential than the EVO for dagnab dragracin and going left really fast, but the EVO wasn't designed with that in mind anyways. So just pat EvilDylan on the back for keeping up, and move on.
Old 09-08-2005, 12:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Cool

Originally Posted by FastRThnU

THAT EVO DID keep up with THAT Z06. There's a period at the end of that sentance, because all the bench racing speculation for the sake of saving face for that Z06 doesn't change things. Sometimes 8 < 4, and that's just the case plain and simple. Now, the Z06 has WAY more potential than the EVO for dagnab dragracin and going left really fast, but the EVO wasn't designed with that in mind anyways. So just pat EvilDylan on the back for keeping up, and move on.
A Z06 has a TON more "potential" for going left, right, up, down, straight and flat out fast, than an EVO....Lets clear that false statement up now.
Old 09-08-2005, 12:59 PM
12 Second Club

I swear, I would have said nice kill if evo owner said he made 390whp and both of the drivers were equal. He mentioned that he made 80 less hp and with equal weight and drivers there is no way he could have beat him, IMO and in opinion of the rest of the people.
Old 09-08-2005, 01:00 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by FastRThnU

Main point is stories should be told accurately from the start. Not Oh I have 300rwhp and he has 380rwhp, than a page later, oh actually I probably have almost the same power as him

That would avoid alot of the "boo hooo" as you put it, from the start.
Old 09-08-2005, 01:15 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by cantdrv65
A Z06 has a TON more "potential" for going left, right, up, down, straight and flat out fast, than an EVO....Lets clear that false statement up now.
WRONG

EVO would SM()K3 a Z06 at some track and auto-x events. But I would agree that it is no contest in drag racing as far as potential goes.

And it would murda a Z06 off road!

Quick Reply: Not a kill, but close. my evo vs 380 whp z06 (vid)