Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Dusted a NSX

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2005, 02:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TransAm52804
If V8's are such a burden in your eyes, then what's your view on Ferraris, BMW's, Benz, and many other fancy, high-dollar, all-around performance cars with V8's?

Or is it just AMERICAN V8's that drive you import lovers crazy?
BMW I6 fwi.
however I must bow down and admit that bmw does have their V8's. But are passing them up for V10's.
Old 09-12-2005, 02:40 PM
TECH Addict

An NSX with a V8 would be cool. Hate to break it to you guys, but Acura/Honda KILLED THE NSX. No more production, bye bye...they were selling a downwards of only 200 a YEAR.
Old 09-12-2005, 02:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

when you buy that car..your not buying it for its speed..your buying it to be noticed. it slike buying a ferrari 360...or a c6....or a porsche twin turbo...or a c6 zo6. the c6 and c6 zo6 are faster than both cars...but MOST...not all...will want to ferrari and porsche because of their name.

also, the new model is supposed to have a v10 i read in motor trend and road and track.
Old 09-12-2005, 03:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by BrandonDrecksage
when you buy that car..your not buying it for its speed..your buying it to be noticed. it slike buying a ferrari 360...or a c6....or a porsche twin turbo...or a c6 zo6. the c6 and c6 zo6 are faster than both cars...but MOST...not all...will want to ferrari and porsche because of their name.

also, the new model is supposed to have a v10 i read in motor trend and road and track.
Most people who buy a Corvette arnt buying it to be "noticed", they are buying it because of the performance it offers and such a good cost.
Old 09-12-2005, 04:59 PM
STF veteran / 10 second club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Most people who buy a Corvette arnt buying it to be "noticed", they are buying it because of the performance it offers and such a good cost.
Trueeee .... but then how do you explain the majority of the corvette owners who are older gentlemen/ladies and have not once floored it?

I think a large percentage of the people who buy a Corvette, Lambo, Porsche, etc, do it as a status symbol .... to show they are in a "higher class." Just like the people who buy a significantly overpriced Hummer, or Navigator.

Thinking about what you just said ... if they wanted it solely for the amount of performance per dollar spent, why would they pick those cars? There are many cars that offer the potential for higher performance for the money. For example, look at how many years the F-Body was very close to the corvette performance wise, but for half the price. I'm certaintly not saying the F-Body is a better car overal, but if your decision is based soley on performance per dollar spent, most of those cars would not be in the running.
Old 09-12-2005, 10:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by erikerikerik
BMW I6 fwi.
however I must bow down and admit that bmw does have their V8's. But are passing them up for V10's.
What's a BMW I6 engine have to do with my post about their V8's?
Old 09-13-2005, 03:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by xphantomws6x
A to point B faster … period.
A to B, isn't that any race including circuit?? Just messin!

P.S. What's with the implication that an "american racing magazine" would be inferior to any other magazine?? The last I checked that "popular mechanics" magazine which performed the test you referenced in your previous post, is an "american magazine" (it's actually written right here in New York).
No implication, it was shall we say an American comment. "Put a V8 in it". (Which I happen to agree with. But you have to remember outside the US cars that have V8's are generally expensive luxuary saloons or high end sports/supercars. It isn't the run of the mill engine.)

I've never read/seen/heard anyone else outside the US make such a claim in reference to the NSX. The last road test I read (Autocar Magazine) loved the latest incarnation and wanted to do a twin test against a Carrera 2, but decided it would be unfair on the Porsche because the NSX was so much a better car overall.
Old 09-13-2005, 04:46 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Alright guys, this was a kill story ... everyone's said what they needed to say about American vs European. Let's get the thread back on track. It would be appreciated.

Now, I know when I had my black Trans Am, I was stupendously racing an NSX through Atlanta bypass. It was stock and I was beating him, but, I did not know he was a little slower than I was. I just thought he was toying with me. I raced this red NSX the other day and realized they aren't even as fast as a stocker LS1 F-Body.

If I had known he had a small V-6, I wouldn't have even raced the guy. Oh well, live and learn, I guess.
Old 09-13-2005, 06:10 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JEB99TA
Alright guys, this was a kill story ... everyone's said what they needed to say about American vs European. Let's get the thread back on track. It would be appreciated.
NSX = Japanses, not European.

And besides I'm British not European either.

If I had known he had a small V-6, I wouldn't have even raced the guy. Oh well, live and learn, I guess.
It's still one of the supercar brigade, in fact Japans only real supercar. So chalk up the tally

Fbody 1 - NSX nil
Old 09-13-2005, 12:46 PM
TECH Addict

LOL!!! ... go figure. ... conversation led to European cars ... sorta' wondering how that happened, as well. This is about the most 'out there' thread I've ever posted

Old 09-13-2005, 03:08 PM
STF Veteran

Why would you bother putting a v8 in an NSX when you could put a v8 in an RX-7 for 1/3 the price?

NSX is worshiped by honda obsessed fanboys who don't even seem to realize that japan has put out far better cars that just didn't happen to have a honda nameplate on it.

The NSX is a technology demo. An impresive one at that (or it was 10 or 15 years ago), but let it go. Seriously.

Although I do like my NSX in forza motorsport. Mainly cause I got it for free.
Old 09-13-2005, 03:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Trueeee .... but then how do you explain the majority of the corvette owners who are older gentlemen/ladies and have not once floored it?
Old people can comfortably afford a Corvette, and usually when they're that old, they do everything slow

I think a large percentage of the people who buy a Corvette, Lambo, Porsche, etc, do it as a status symbol .... to show they are in a "higher class." Just like the people who buy a significantly overpriced Hummer, or Navigator.
I agree on the expencive, exotic euro cars. Its about the badge, you can brag and say "I own a Porshce/Lambo etc." I just dont see it the same way for a vette.

Thinking about what you just said ... if they wanted it solely for the amount of performance per dollar spent, why would they pick those cars? There are many cars that offer the potential for higher performance for the money. For example, look at how many years the F-Body was very close to the corvette performance wise, but for half the price. I'm certaintly not saying the F-Body is a better car overal, but if your decision is based soley on performance per dollar spent, most of those cars would not be in the running.
The thing is, there is more to performance than just strait line speed. The Corvette handles and brakes worlds better than an F-body (especially on bumpy roads) and is a more solid car.
If I wanted a drag racer, I would buy an F-body, but if I wanted a track car (auto-x etc.) I would buy a vette.
Old 09-13-2005, 07:13 PM
TECH Addict

Would a moderator please either delete my posts in my thread here and move it to an appropriate forum or lock it? Thanks ...
Old 09-13-2005, 11:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

wow..my point jsut went right over your head...i was saying that they buy the corvette because of its performance..but people buy a ferrari or a porsche for the name.

Originally Posted by BrandonDrecksage
when you buy that car(NSX)..your not buying it for its speed..your buying it to be noticed. it slike buying a ferrari 360...or a c6....or a porsche twin turbo...or a c6 zo6. the c6 and c6 zo6 are faster than both cars...but MOST...not all...will want to ferrari and porsche because of their name.

Old 09-14-2005, 02:11 AM

The thing is, there is more to performance than just strait line speed. The Corvette handles and brakes worlds better than an F-body (especially on bumpy roads) and is a more solid car.
If I wanted a drag racer, I would buy an F-body, but if I wanted a track car (auto-x etc.) I would buy a vette.
I agree with you .... but from a strictly performance per dollar spent, there really isn't that much difference for double the price. A grand of suspension work into an F-bod and it will be running circles around a vette at the track.

I would still have to say, I see most people who buy vettes being someone who just plain loves the looks (I am one of those people) or wants to say "I drive a vette." While the performance per dollar of the vette is much better than most cars, there are plenty of $20,000 cars that can be quickly modded to be better than it ... I would have to use this to explain why at least 90% of the vettes you run into just WILL NOT race, EVER. They're perfectly content at 55mph in the right lane.
Old 09-14-2005, 05:22 AM
TECH Addict

Old 09-14-2005, 05:24 AM
TECH Addict

UNIT213 > You're always so eager to lock my threads ... why are you not locking this down or moving it like I asked?
Old 09-14-2005, 05:32 AM
TECH Addict

UNIT213 > You're always so eager to lock my threads ... why are you not locking this down or moving it like I asked?
why? It's not causing any harm.
Old 09-14-2005, 12:08 PM
TECH Addict

It's street racing and kill stories forum ...

OK, I'm not hard to get along with fellows ... GO FOR IT man ... it's your thread now guys. I'm outta' here ... have fun.
Old 09-14-2005, 05:14 PM

It's street racing and kill stories forum ...

OK, I'm not hard to get along with fellows ... GO FOR IT man ... it's your thread now guys. I'm outta' here ... have fun.
Wow man, Chill.

Let me remind you of your original post ...

Dude and his chick messed with me and my chick in a NSX. I messed with them back. Dude tried to keep up, but, was an easy kill. For the money, those things aren't very quick.
You have nothing here? You didn't describe anything. You didn't mention what year the NSX was (or even if it was new or old), you didn't say anything about the speeds you were racing to, or how much you beat him by ... hell, you didn't even tell us if it was from a stop or a roll!! What exactly should we be discussing about your kill in this thread? Maybe next time toss some meat into the post, and it would be easier for us to keep on topic.

Not trying to be an ***, just explaining my view.