Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Why do Import drivers love this site?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2005, 01:09 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Heatmaker
No 4-6 cylinder will ever be the equivilent of an american V8... we all know that... but aftermarket to aftermarket those 4-6 cylinders are allowed to have that ability to keep up with an american v8, and in some cases defeating them... but this doesn't mean the v8 is slow... it just means it wasn't as modified. so why argue? a modded to hell import outperforms a stockish to lightly modified v8?.
1. Its because no 4-6 will have the inefficiency of a OHV american V8. However LS1's are the best single cam V8.
2. I have defeated some seriously modified V8 cars... Yes even when they have drag radials, slots or slicks installed and I am running my street tires...Also No it is a nearly full weight car... Jack and spare gone plus cenerlines... Leather, AC and pwr everything..
3. My modified originally american built "Import" has parts from the manufacturers modified LS1s dip from. Wiseco, comp, energy syspension...QA1 etc...
4. "Was'nt as modifed"... Sounds like getting out classed in the mechanical skills department more than anything else.

It's always been the argument, and im so tired of it...

It doesn't take a genius to know that an Evo that has a stroked motor and 20psi of boost will defeat a Vehicle modified with headers, exhaust, cam etc... the mods aren't equaled out.... but if that same evo raced a stroked V8 on 20psi... then the two levels of modification would be equal... and only then could that import owner truly call thier victory a win... if they beat them.
Actually there are more stock bore and stroke EVO's and DSM's in the single digits than strokers.. Unless its a daily driver with a mid size turbo and you want a stock like spool point stay away from strokers. There are evos in the low 10's with stock shortblocks...

I am tired of the displacement is everything mantra.. More displacement at the same mechanical efficiency and VE is always better is'nt always a reality.

So a upgraded turbo, cams (depending on et goal optional), exhaust, injectors, pump/fpr, guages, clutch, ARP head studs and EMS mods and you are hauling.... I cant really think of too many things that dont need to be done to one car and not the other....

If the LS1 is a manual you will need a good clutch an auto LS1 a stall.. I have moded muscle cars, newer f-bodys, a typhoon, DSM's, RX7s, a supra etc... Does'nt matter.. I think when you are around 11's and under its all the same amount of work just using a different means to get there due to the cars differences.

If the GM northstar engines had more aftermarket or a more affordable aftermarket I would be building a TT Nstar with variable valvetrain instead of a LSx....

Technology changes for a reason.. If gm came up with a "Gen V" quad cam which matches LS1 displacement and some LS1 parts like rods and cranks... The ls1/2/7 would be seriously dethroned.
Old 09-23-2005, 07:51 AM
Launching!

[QUOTE=V8_DSM_V8again]

I don't want you to get me wrong... I like Evo's and STI's and I would love to own one... it's LS1's that I don't like.
Old 09-23-2005, 08:01 AM
10 Second Club

This thread is getting no where. If your wanting to keep it going tone down the cussing and blasting. If you don't like LS1s don't post here,plain and simple. If you can't control it I WILL!
Old 09-23-2005, 08:17 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SouthFL.02.SS
I drive an import now, do I have to leave?

Ricer...
Old 09-23-2005, 08:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It doesn't take a genius to know that an Evo that has a stroked motor and 20psi of boost will defeat a Vehicle modified with headers, exhaust, cam etc... the mods aren't equaled out.... but if that same evo raced a stroked V8 on 20psi... then the two levels of modification would be equal... and only then could that import owner truly call thier victory a win... if they beat them.
Blah... these are just excuses. It's a bunch of BS too. Look if you are racing, it is run what ya brung... leave your effin excuses at home! If you don't have enough power to walk a modified Evo... oh well you lost to a car that has more power.... saying things like, well if I had a turbo and I was running 20 psi, then I would win. What's to stop the Evo from countering with, well you have more than double my displacement.... see where this is headed? Leave those excuses at home!

DSM.... there is a quad cam with displacement greater than the LS1. It powered the fastest (fastest meaning highest top speed stock) vette, until the newest Z06. It's called an LT5, and GM considered using the LT5 as the vette engine of choice for the performance C5. They did a test where they stuck an LT5, and the early versions of the LS6 into 2 C5's. They Let engineers, and various people from around GM drive them and give feedback. The drivers were never told the difference between the vehicles, and the LS6 won. That is why our beloved Z06 is still pushrod powered.
Old 09-23-2005, 09:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shawnmce2
I'm not bashing on import guys....I'm bashing on the guys who come in here and make all sorts of stupid **** happen...like what has happened in this forum....some guys started making outrageous claims and then started talking **** to everyone so I talked back and homehow it got turned around on me...lol oh well
Hey man, yea im just messing around with you, I know what you mean, I hate the guys who sign up and their first and only post is some outrageous claim that they smoke a modified LSX powered vehicle by buslengths. Honestly though thats not what your post is saying. There are a ton of cool import guys on the board who have badass cars and although I love LSX powered vehicles I still can appreciate a nice/fast import. I just think your post is offending all import owners on this board, which really isnt cool, and your just looking to get flamed on by everyone which is pretty much what happened. Haha oh well in the end this thread turned out to be pretty entertaining!
Old 09-23-2005, 09:31 AM
TECH Addict

Wow heatmaker thats pretty lame...4 cylinder cars use turbos to make up for displacement and they do it very efficiently and very well. I mean this arguement has been beaten to death on this board. "well if the LS1 had a turbo it would be equal with the EVO/STI/ETC", or my favortie "If the LS1 had a blower it would kill the 03-04 Cobras". That **** is so gay, honestly think about what you arguing. To equal everything out you would have to have the EXACT same engine (same amount of cylinders, cubic inches, compression, size camshaft, etc) and the EXACT same mods to make it even. So basically only LS1's can race LS1's for it to be fair, and EVO's against EvO's, etc. To me thats pretty boring...
Old 09-23-2005, 09:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yep, like I said... I think this guy doesn't know how to say what he means in the correct way... It's kinda funny, Shawn, you hate the guys who are always starting **** and you're the one who's starting ****. If you don't like something, just keep it to yourself or be more careful how you say it... Or f*** it, say what you really think, but expect this to happen every time you do. Your opinions don't hurt my feelings, but you have to remember this site is full of pussies, so you've got to watch it..... Just a little advice.
Old 09-23-2005, 10:55 AM
Teching In

I own a lowly import, so here is my irrelevant and unworthy 2 cents.

I understand that this site is focused primarily on LS1s. Nevertheless, I occasionally peruse this forum because: (1) I am a great admirer of LS1s (even though I do not own one); (2) I enjoy interacting with fellow car enthusiasts, regardless of what car they drive; and (3) this site has a great Kill section (which is woefully lacking on the Porsche sites).

FWIW, the Porsche sites I patronize have countless members who do not own Porsches (including many LS1 owners), and they are welcome without exception.

IMHO, we are all, first and foremost, car enthusiasts, and we should endeavor to respect other car enthusiasts, regardless of the particular car they drive. The LS1 is a tremendous achievement. So is the Evo 8. No need to denigrate one another. No need to use labels such as “ricer.” No need to segregate “imports.” No need to claim superiority, or denigrate the other. Instead, respect your fellow enthusiasts, regardless of what they drive.

996TTx50
Old 09-23-2005, 10:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 996TTx50
I own a lowly import, so here is my irrelevant and unworthy 2 cents.

I understand that this site is focused primarily on LS1s. Nevertheless, I occasionally peruse this forum because: (1) I am a great admirer of LS1s (even though I do not own one); (2) I enjoy interacting with fellow car enthusiasts, regardless of what car they drive; and (3) this site has a great Kill section (which is woefully lacking on the Porsche sites).

FWIW, the Porsche sites I patronize have countless members who do not own Porsches (including many LS1 owners), and they are welcome without exception.

IMHO, we are all, first and foremost, car enthusiasts, and we should endeavor to respect other car enthusiasts, regardless of the particular car they drive. The LS1 is a tremendous achievement. So is the Evo 8. No need to denigrate one another. No need to use labels such as “ricer.” No need to segregate “imports.” No need to claim superiority, or denigrate the other. Instead, respect your fellow enthusiasts, regardless of what they drive.

996TTx50
Finally someone said something smart in this thread.
Old 09-23-2005, 12:03 PM
Teching In

yep

also, on the evo forums there is no kill section. :-(

so i have to go elsewhere for my street racing fix. This is a good site for kills.
Old 09-23-2005, 12:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think it's cool for everyone to post up here... That way I know what kind of cars might give me some kind of challenge, most cars aren't worth the time or gas... But I'll still race anything that comes rollin up to me.
Old 09-23-2005, 12:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Porsches Suck!!!!!!!!!

Alot of air with twin turbos! A 996TT is the epitome of sports cars from its generation... IMO. I think the new Z06 is gonna be the new top dawg on my list
Old 09-23-2005, 01:58 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SporkLover
A 996TT is the epitome of sports cars from its generation... IMO. I think the new Z06 is gonna be the new top dawg on my list
Thanks for the kind words. I agree that the new Z06 is going to be awesome (as was the prior Z06). Thats why I modded my Porsche . . . to stay two steps ahead (maybe a few more than two steps).

996TTx50
Old 09-23-2005, 02:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 996TTx50
Thanks for the kind words. I agree that the new Z06 is going to be awesome (as was the prior Z06). Thats why I modded my Porsche . . . to stay two steps ahead (maybe a few more than two steps).

996TTx50
If you don't mind me asking, what kind of power are you putting down?
Old 09-23-2005, 02:26 PM
TECH Addict

I believe he was/is in the 450-500 whp range, last time i heard.
Old 09-23-2005, 02:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

skeet skeet.... I wish I had enough money to own a 996TT, let alone mod one.

I'll be there soon enough!
Old 09-23-2005, 02:53 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by monicaz28
If you don't mind me asking, what kind of power are you putting down?
Over 900 hp at the crank.

996TTx50
Old 09-23-2005, 02:54 PM
TECH Addict

I stand corrected haha! My estimate...times 2.
Old 09-23-2005, 02:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 98Z28MASS
I stand corrected haha! My estimate...times 2.
No, because that was at the crank, not to the wheel. Still some mad power though.