Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Fairlady Z

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2005 | 09:34 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by BrandonDrecksage
exactly my point...its like taking a acura rsx type S and throwing a type R badge on it and trying to pass it off as a honda integra type r cause in japan they are still called integras and they still have a type R. if your car is a 350z..call it a 350z or a z33...it its right hand drive and lacks a vin because it was brought over from over seas...call is a fairlady or z33. and why are people ripping on the name? i'm sure people all over the world make fun of firebird...and think what is so impressive about a bird on fire.

We both speak like true enthusiasts. Here's another hypothetical example... How lame would it be for a GTO owner to put Monaro badges on his car and justify it with, "Well, the GTO is based on the Aussie Monaro which was first and is the car the GTO was designed from and rebadged for a US spec car. So, it truly is a Monaro." No buddy, it's not a Monaro. When you bought it, it was called a GTO. It's a GTO.

If you bought a 350Z, it's not a Fairlady. If you show me a right-hand drive, all numbers matching, imported JDM Fairlady, then you have a Fairlady. Consequently, you should badge your car according to what it is, not what you want it to be or what you feel the car's original version is.

The really lame ones are some ricers around where I live that have changed their 240SX's to have JDM motors and right hand drive. I saw one at a car meet and asked him, "How the hell did you bring that here?" He said, "Uh, no it was a 240SX I bought here but NOW it's a Silvia." Retard. I have a friend who is really into 240's and would never be caught dead with a Siliva badge because he says, "It's NOT a Silvia, it's a 240 SX. They never sold a Silvia here and I bought this car here, so... that's stupid." His cars dips, too. He certainly smokes mine... well, that'll change soon.
Old 09-27-2005 | 10:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bboyferal

We both speak like true enthusiasts. Here's another hypothetical example... How lame would it be for a GTO owner to put Monaro badges on his car and justify it with, "Well, the GTO is based on the Aussie Monaro which was first and is the car the GTO was designed from and rebadged for a US spec car. So, it truly is a Monaro." No buddy, it's not a Monaro. When you bought it, it was called a GTO. It's a GTO.

If you bought a 350Z, it's not a Fairlady. If you show me a right-hand drive, all numbers matching, imported JDM Fairlady, then you have a Fairlady. Consequently, you should badge your car according to what it is, not what you want it to be or what you feel the car's original version is.

The really lame ones are some ricers around where I live that have changed their 240SX's to have JDM motors and right hand drive. I saw one at a car meet and asked him, "How the hell did you bring that here?" He said, "Uh, no it was a 240SX I bought here but NOW it's a Silvia." Retard. I have a friend who is really into 240's and would never be caught dead with a Siliva badge because he says, "It's NOT a Silvia, it's a 240 SX. They never sold a Silvia here and I bought this car here, so... that's stupid." His cars dips, too. He certainly smokes mine... well, that'll change soon.
i met a kid that said his silvia would smoke my SS. I was like...you mean 240sx? he said no..I have the jdm engine so now its a jdm car. so i said...you have a sr20det? he said yeah. i asked if he was still on stock turbo or not..and he was like..wtf turbo? it doesn't have a turbo. i started laughing my *** off and told him that he got ripped off. a jdm silvia has a sr20det... he didn't believe me, but i'm sure he was crying his eyes out when he found out that he bought a car and was lied too. i'm definatly a car enthusiast though..no brand loyalty. I've owned a 89 camaro, ford ranger, rx7, ford focus, nissan sentra spec V and my current car which is an SS in 4 years
Old 09-27-2005 | 11:04 AM
Banned

I own a 1988 mustang 5.0 GT. It has a 302 in it...I think I will start calling it a 302 "Boss" because it is a descendant both in engine size and moniker, of the 1970's Boss 302 mustangs. Or rather, I should say Boss 351, since the 302 IS in the 351 family, in fact, I will call it a Boss mustang with a Windsor in it. How does that sound? Maybe if I find a cobra badge I can incorporate that in there somewhere....OOOOhhhhh, how about I buy some european shock/strut package and say its a "Eurotuned Windsor powered Boss mustang Cobra?" THat sounds REAL impressive, then maybe I can have an exclusive car, kind of like all the people with "Silvias" and "fairladys".....
Old 09-27-2005 | 12:29 PM
Staging Lane

lol the one my friend told me about isnt the first one i saw with the fairlady badging on it...i saw a 350 z on the highway with the fairlady badge on the back...i didnt kno it was just put on by the owner...i thought it was bought from the factory with it...like an american version of it...wat losers lol imma have to go break my friends heart..he hasnt stopped talkin bout the car since that day
Old 09-27-2005 | 02:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by slick1851
I never liked hillbilly talk coming from peoples mouths. With your big bad import killer

I bet your on car domain, yeah look at my Camaro its so bad *** ill smoke any import and then have a pic you next to your car Stunna style.
so you go from Hillbilly talk, to me being next to my car stunna style...you have 2 premises that are no where near coming to the same conclusion, which makes your assumption, well, just flat out retarted, re-think your argument and try again ...for what its worth, i was joking about the name of the car, although it wouldn't be on mine
Old 09-27-2005 | 06:51 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Stanger88
I own a 1988 mustang 5.0 GT. It has a 302 in it...I think I will start calling it a 302 "Boss" because it is a descendant both in engine size and moniker, of the 1970's Boss 302 mustangs. Or rather, I should say Boss 351, since the 302 IS in the 351 family, in fact, I will call it a Boss mustang with a Windsor in it. How does that sound? Maybe if I find a cobra badge I can incorporate that in there somewhere....OOOOhhhhh, how about I buy some european shock/strut package and say its a "Eurotuned Windsor powered Boss mustang Cobra?" THat sounds REAL impressive, then maybe I can have an exclusive car, kind of like all the people with "Silvias" and "fairladys".....

One of the best posts I've ever read!
Old 09-27-2005 | 07:33 PM
Staging Lane

I think you guys have the wrong Idea here. The "Silvia" name is sorta dumb to put on a 240sx because it's a totally different car. On the other hand the "Fairlady Z" is no different than the one sold here. It's just the badges and that is why people put them on here. In Japan it's it has the "Fairlady Z" badge one side of the trunk and 300ZX or 350Z on the other side. The reason Nissan does not market the Fairlady here is for the same reason you guys are making fun of it (Hence the ***, *****, and Girly remarks) No one would buy it do to the mentality of the american market. For the enthusiasts of the Z its putting on is whats right. Bboyferal- there's something different about Boss mustangs, SVT cobra's, and saleens etc. here there is no difference. It's just marketed different.
Old 09-27-2005 | 07:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DemitriHKS
I think you guys have the wrong Idea here. The "Silvia" name is sorta dumb to put on a 240sx because it's a totally different car. On the other hand the "Fairlady Z" is no different than the one sold here. It's just the badges and that is why people put them on here. In Japan it's it has the "Fairlady Z" badge one side of the trunk and 300ZX or 350Z on the other side. The reason Nissan does not market the Fairlady here is for the same reason you guys are making fun of it (Hence the ***, *****, and Girly remarks) No one would buy it do to the mentality of the american market. For the enthusiasts of the Z its putting on is whats right. Bboyferal- there's something different about Boss mustangs, SVT cobra's, and saleens etc. here there is no difference. It's just marketed different.
i don't give a **** if you make it right hand driver..throw in a sr20det and the stokc exhaust and make it an exact copy of the silvia..its still not a silvia...some with the 350z..its a z33 or a 350z..not a fairlady z. I'm gonna start camming my camaro SS a copo camaro..and throw on some hub cap wheels..or maybe i'll get a yenko badge and toss that on. or a zl1. or better yet...i'll make is a camaro ss zo6 but getting the zo6 wheels and a zo6 cam.
Old 09-27-2005 | 08:08 PM
Staging Lane

i don't give a **** if you make it right hand driver..throw in a sr20det and the stokc exhaust and make it an exact copy of the silvia..its still not a silvia...some with the 350z..its a z33 or a 350z..not a fairlady z. I'm gonna start camming my camaro SS a copo camaro..and throw on some hub cap wheels..or maybe i'll get a yenko badge and toss that on. or a zl1. or better yet...i'll make is a camaro ss zo6 but getting the zo6 wheels and a zo6 cam.
I'm not disagreeing with you. You're right on several points. It's like these idiots putting GT-R badges on there honda's and mustangs. There's one GT-R and it ain't those. All i'm saying is that it's not looked down upon by any import car enthusiast and most domestic people don't care. I have mine with no badges on it due to the spoiler. I bought the Fairlady Z badge but never put it on because I like the Clean Look instead. But I like seeing once in a while a Z that is done Nicely with the Fairllady Z badge on it. Most owners don't put it on to be cool. They do it because it's "Technically Right" that's all. But I guess you can take it either way. I do understand where you're coming from.
Old 09-27-2005 | 08:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm not disagreeing with you. You're right on several points. It's like these idiots putting GT-R badges on there honda's and mustangs. There's one GT-R and it ain't those. All i'm saying is that it's not looked down upon by any import car enthusiast and most domestic people don't care. I have mine with no badges on it due to the spoiler. I bought the Fairlady Z badge but never put it on because I like the Clean Look instead. But I like seeing once in a while a Z that is done Nicely with the Fairllady Z badge on it. Most owners don't put it on to be cool. They do it because it's "Technically Right" that's all. But I guess you can take it either way. I do understand where you're coming from.
i'm a car guy...i've owned every different type of car thjat you could think of...loved them all...and i can tell you that I look down upon it. do you think your car is better than those cars because its the same thing that comes from japan? it goes back to the rsx type-s and putting a type r badge on it...its stupid..you don't have a type r...its the same thign with you..you ddon't have a fairlady z. you can do whatever you want with your car, but i'm jsut saying...my group of friends that are into cars all have very open minds(currently: the list of cars that we all own. I have a 01 ss, friends own...300zx Tt, supra turbo, 97 bmw m3 witha turbo kit, 240sx with a sr20det swap, 1g dsm with ltos of ****, a 2g dsm with lots of ****, sti, evo) and we all look down on puttign badges that don't come from the factory.

would you look down on a guy that [puts SS on his camaro z28? even if he had the ss spolier and hood?
Old 09-28-2005 | 12:10 AM
Staging Lane

i'm a car guy...i've owned every different type of car thjat you could think of...loved them all...and i can tell you that I look down upon it. do you think your car is better than those cars because its the same thing that comes from japan? it goes back to the rsx type-s and putting a type r badge on it...its stupid..you don't have a type r...its the same thign with you..you ddon't have a fairlady z. you can do whatever you want with your car, but i'm jsut saying...my group of friends that are into cars all have very open minds(currently: the list of cars that we all own. I have a 01 ss, friends own...300zx Tt, supra turbo, 97 bmw m3 witha turbo kit, 240sx with a sr20det swap, 1g dsm with ltos of ****, a 2g dsm with lots of ****, sti, evo) and we all look down on puttign badges that don't come from the factory.

would you look down on a guy that [puts SS on his camaro z28? even if he had the ss spolier and hood?

For starters I stated that I didn't put the badge on and like the clean look so that means no emblems. The way I see it is anyone can do whatever they want to their cars. You don't agree with it someone else will. I though about the same scenario with the Z28 w/ spoiler and hatch of an SS. First I wouldn't know off the bat and second even if he told me I'd be like oh, it looks nice. No one is changing body parts or motors on the 350Z. It's these little letters that cost 25 cents that are removed in order to boost sales here in the U.S. Same with me, my bro has a 300ZX TT and friends have 93 supra TT, Evo, Blacksaleen, 99 SS camaro, Sti, like 5 mustangs and more. Bottom line is that people will do what they want. I'm with you to a point, hence leaving the badge in my center console for 4 months now. But when I go to Z meets I see it a lot, whoop tee ******* doo man. Relax!
Old 09-28-2005 | 06:50 AM
TECH Junkie

On the other hand the "Fairlady Z" is no different than the one sold here. It's just the badges and that is why people put them on here.
Really? So Fairlady Z's have the steering wheel on the left like ours?
Old 09-28-2005 | 07:11 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SporkLover
Fairlady Z is what they are called everywhere else except mainland US. Hell they call them Fairlady Z in Hawaii, and they sell G35 Coupes as Skylines.
almost.

The UK and I think Europe gets them badged as numbers not names:

200SX
300ZX
350Z
Old 09-28-2005 | 08:05 AM
TECH Junkie

They do it because it's "Technically Right" that's all.
Technically (Do you know what the word technically means? For technical communication, it takes no considerations, including a car's heritage. It's bare, essential regard for data), if it's a left-hand drive car, it's a 350Z, not a Fairlady Z. Nissan called it a 350Z and gave it a 350Z badge, so I say who are we to change what they decided? Technically, you call it what Nissan put on the window sticker, badging, product catalogs... 350Z. This is just my opinion, of course, but I have a feeling the more serious car enthusiasts will share this same opinion.
Old 09-28-2005 | 09:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

For starters I stated that I didn't put the badge on and like the clean look so that means no emblems. The way I see it is anyone can do whatever they want to their cars. You don't agree with it someone else will. I though about the same scenario with the Z28 w/ spoiler and hatch of an SS. First I wouldn't know off the bat and second even if he told me I'd be like oh, it looks nice. No one is changing body parts or motors on the 350Z. It's these little letters that cost 25 cents that are removed in order to boost sales here in the U.S. Same with me, my bro has a 300ZX TT and friends have 93 supra TT, Evo, Blacksaleen, 99 SS camaro, Sti, like 5 mustangs and more. Bottom line is that people will do what they want. I'm with you to a point, hence leaving the badge in my center console for 4 months now. But when I go to Z meets I see it a lot, whoop tee ******* doo man. Relax!

two things.....

I never said you put it on your car

and the part in bold...i said you can do whatever you want to your car, i'm not telling you not to do it in the future if you get the urge.

and you didn't anwser my question..would you look down or make fun of the guy that put a SS badge on his z28....and would you do the same with the guy that put type R in his rsx type s?

cause if you say yes, then your using double standards for some reason. I'm just trying to make a point...i'm not attacking you....I just think its dumb when you try to make your car what it isn't. that even goes for "clones" like when peopel take a older camaro and make it a yenko clone..that is stupid..you don't have a yenko. only time its cool to make a clone is if its getting destroyed ina movie..like 2 fast 2 furious had yenko clones because I'd be pissed if they destroyed real ones.
Old 09-28-2005 | 09:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
almost.

The UK and I think Europe gets them badged as numbers not names:

200SX
300ZX
350Z
they do..i remember them testing it and the guy calling it a 350zed...cause they say z funny..lol.
Old 09-28-2005 | 09:51 AM
TECH Addict

they do..i remember them testing it and the guy calling it a 350zed...cause they say z funny..lol.
lol,

yep just like I have a ZED28....
Old 09-28-2005 | 10:08 AM
TECH Addict

Hahahaha all this heated debate over a ******* badge...honestly who cares? Its personal preference. I know what you guys mean, I have a z28, and picked up an aftermarket SS hood, which happen to come with the SS emblems, which I would never put on my car and sold them on ebay. Honestly though, its a piece of plastic with a name/number on it...and if someone wants to put one on the who cares? I understand how it offends people who really own the cars, such as an SS owner, when they see a z28 with the SS badges when its not a "real" SS, but I just dont see the big deal. You know you own a real SS, or silvia, or fairlady z, or whatever so who are you to tell someone else what to do to their car? You might think its gay or riced out or whatever but you dont own the car, so if someone wants to put a ferrari emblem on their 83 civic hatchback who cares? Plus its always good for a laugh...
Old 09-28-2005 | 10:27 AM
Banned

THe problem is not that the badge is incorrect and we are not sensetive to personal preference, the issue is with jackasses who want to make their car more than it is with the simple presence of a badge. For instance, instead of "well, I just like having fairlady Z on my car, its cool" you hear "yo man, this is a Fairlady Z, it'll rape your car man, its fairlady!!!!" In case A, who cares, they like it, bravo. In case B (which is sadly much more common) its annoying as hell and implies either grand self-dilusionary behavior or blatent igrnorance/stupidity. IT would be like me buying a Cobra body kit/rims and badging my car as a cobra and telling people I owned a cobra. I dont, its a GT. You want to know what a car is? Pull the VIN. As in when you go to trade that car in...is it a cobra? no...WORTH LESS... "BUT IT LOOKS LIKE ONE!!" you squeal...they say "well, not everyone wants a knockoff and we probably will have trouble selling it because it isnt original and a lot of people want OEM cars when they come to a dealer." SO no matter if its a carbon copy of whatever you are imitating, IT IS NOT WORTH THE SAME, nor is it ACCEPTALBE to call it the same. If I looked like elvis, sang like elvis, and gyrated my pelvis like elvis, would I be the real deal....no, when is the last time an Elvis Impersonator sold out a concert? huh!?!?!

*rant off* sorry, just get tired of idiots trying to be something they are not.
Old 09-28-2005 | 10:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 98Z28MASS
Hahahaha all this heated debate over a ******* badge...honestly who cares? Its personal preference. I know what you guys mean, I have a z28, and picked up an aftermarket SS hood, which happen to come with the SS emblems, which I would never put on my car and sold them on ebay. Honestly though, its a piece of plastic with a name/number on it...and if someone wants to put one on the who cares? I understand how it offends people who really own the cars, such as an SS owner, when they see a z28 with the SS badges when its not a "real" SS, but I just dont see the big deal. You know you own a real SS, or silvia, or fairlady z, or whatever so who are you to tell someone else what to do to their car? You might think its gay or riced out or whatever but you dont own the car, so if someone wants to put a ferrari emblem on their 83 civic hatchback who cares? Plus its always good for a laugh...
I never said don't do it. i'm just stating that i'm sure this guy has made fun of other cars that do the same ****...like the example i always bring up...a honda integra or acura rsx witha type r badge on it. i'm just saying most car enthusiasts will make fun of you or look down on you.