Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

C5 Z06 Vs. Bmw M5??

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2005, 09:44 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
lol, yeah that's pretty SLOW, no comparison.

If you mean 17 seconds 0-150mph, that is impressive. Almost a llittle too impressive if I'm honest.
Oh s**t typo my bad!!
Old 10-14-2005, 09:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by AOC
We could sit here present our opinions, throw out stats to fit our arguments all day but it's all moot point until there are two competent drivers racing eachother in various speeds.
true, but there are plenty of resources of available data for both.

Simply fact of the matter is the C5 Z06 may be fast, but there are pleny of other fast and faster cars out there, you just need to open you mind a bit.

Modified is a different story altogether, but don't forget you can always modify the other car too.

As for the C6 z06, yes it is one hell of a car, and for the money. But there are still other cars that will give it a run for its money.

-TVR
-Noble
-Ariel
-Caterham
-Radical

And quiet a few that are much faster, only they are not such mainstream manufacturers.

Recently a road going Radial SR8 lapped the Nurburgring in 6min 55sec, which makes the C6 Z06's 7min 42sec lap seem pretty tame.
Old 10-14-2005, 10:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We know that there are other cars that will give the ZO6 a run for its money. But not too many cars cost as much and can perform as well as a ZO6.
Old 10-14-2005, 10:04 AM
Launching!

true, but there are plenty of resources of available data for both.

Simply fact of the matter is the C5 Z06 may be fast, but there are pleny of other fast and faster cars out there, you just need to open you mind a bit.

Modified is a different story altogether, but don't forget you can always modify the other car too.

As for the C6 z06, yes it is one hell of a car, and for the money. But there are still other cars that will give it a run for its money.

-TVR
-Noble
-Ariel
-Caterham
-Radical

And quiet a few that are much faster, only they are not such mainstream manufacturers.

Recently a road going Radial SR8 lapped the Nurburgring in 6min 55sec, which makes the C6 Z06's 7min 42sec lap seem pretty tame.
Yeah but does that Radial have the gas mileage, looks, comfort, sound, and bang-for-buck price like the C6 Z06??
Old 10-14-2005, 10:18 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TORNATIC!!
Yeah but does that Radial have the gas mileage, looks, comfort, sound, and bang-for-buck price like the C6 Z06??
come on if you drive the car it will not make good mpg. If you ***** foot it why have it?

As for the other points, they are all open for debate.

I like the Z06, it is a fab car. In fact was my PC wallpaper till I got some new picks of my Z28.

But there does seem to be a bit of inflated ego about it. It's good but by no means the best or fastest, even for the money. It does represent good value for money. The biggest shame is you guys in the US miss out on a lot of the really fun cars from the rest of the world.

Take this for example:

It has 440bhp from a 4.5 flat plain 90 degree V8. Not the biggest output but the car only weighs 2500lb, it can seat 4 has a big boot and will easily average 20+mpg

Top speed ~190mph

And a Mr Michael Cane (not the actor, his an Ex TVR Tuscan challenge race driver and pro GT driver). Clocked one of these (his own) 0-100mph in 7.5 seconds. Not bad considering in the UK it costs less than a regular C6 Corvette does. And 2nd hand can be had for less than the price of a new loaded V6 Mustang.

Or again for similar money to a C6 Corvette, a Noble.

It has 425bhp from a TT 3.0 V6, but again weighs nothing. Fair do it's only 2 seats but so's the Vette. 0-100mph in 8.1 seconds and 180+mph top wack.

Recently it beat the latest Porsche 911 GT3 and the Ford GT (540bhp) by over 4 seconds round the Rockingham race circuit. The C6 was quite a few seconds behind the GT.

But the C6 and C6 Z06 are certainly some of the greatest cars available today.
Old 10-14-2005, 10:26 AM
AOC
TECH Regular

No one said there isn't faster cars than C5Z so please don't put words in people's mouth. This dicussion is about M5 vs C5Z so I don't know why you even brought up about other cars being faster than C5Z.

I think it's funny that you can present your opinion and want others to accept it but I have to be open minded when I have my own opinion, seems to be hypocritical, don't you think?

You have your own opinion and I have mine. We could play mag race all we want but until these two cars go head-to-head in various speeds, it's all moot point.
Old 10-14-2005, 10:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

300bhp/ton, ure posts come off completely ricer to me, and btw no a m5 did not match a f430, f430s run low 11's.
as for that radical car, take a look at it

another completely pointless topic to bring into the arguement, a race car is stupid to even compare to anything.

AOC- that noble car, I WANT ONE. how much to bring one over?
Old 10-14-2005, 10:32 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by AOC
No one said there isn't faster cars than C5Z so please don't put words in people's mouth. This dicussion is about M5 vs C5Z so I don't know why you even brought up about other cars being faster than C5Z.

I think it's funny that you can present your opinion and want others to accept it but I have to be open minded when I have my own opinion, seems to be hypocritical, don't you think?

You have your own opinion and I have mine. We could play mag race all we want but until these two cars go head-to-head in various speeds, it's all moot point.
not at all. And I'm not stoppig you have an opinion. But there are some (on this site and others) that don't beleive other cars are faster.

If someone posts a Z06 kill then there's always afew who call BS regardless of the facts staring them in the face.

The BMW M5 may be big and ugly and very very dull to look at but it is fast. And statistically would beat a stock C5 Z06.

Actually seeing them race will prove little else, except who is the fastest combo (car/driver) on the day.
Old 10-14-2005, 10:37 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 00firebird
300bhp/ton, ure posts come off completely ricer to me,
What and How, by saying the Z06 isn't king and other fast cars exist???????

and btw no a m5 did not match a f430, f430s run low 11's.
Yes it did, it was the main article in Autocar magazine a few months back, a head to head comparison. I beleive along side track (that's a circuit) test they also drove them both across Wales together.

as for that radical car, take a look at it

another completely pointless topic to bring into the arguement, a race car is stupid to even compare to anything.
So are you telling me a stripped Corvette with a straight thru exhaust, no interior, roll cage, lowered and stiffened suspension is really more comfortable. Because such cars get posted and compared on here!

AOC- that noble car, I WANT ONE. how much to bring one over?
Actually I posted the Noble, oh hang on it's ricer isn't it!
Old 10-14-2005, 10:40 AM
Launching!

come on if you drive the car it will not make good mpg. If you ***** foot it why have it?

As for the other points, they are all open for debate.

I like the Z06, it is a fab car. In fact was my PC wallpaper till I got some new picks of my Z28.

But there does seem to be a bit of inflated ego about it. It's good but by no means the best or fastest, even for the money. It does represent good value for money. The biggest shame is you guys in the US miss out on a lot of the really fun cars from the rest of the world.

Take this for example:

It has 440bhp from a 4.5 flat plain 90 degree V8. Not the biggest output but the car only weighs 2500lb, it can seat 4 has a big boot and will easily average 20+mpg

Top speed ~190mph

And a Mr Michael Cane (not the actor, his an Ex TVR Tuscan challenge race driver and pro GT driver). Clocked one of these (his own) 0-100mph in 7.5 seconds. Not bad considering in the UK it costs less than a regular C6 Corvette does. And 2nd hand can be had for less than the price of a new loaded V6 Mustang.

Or again for similar money to a C6 Corvette, a Noble.

It has 425bhp from a TT 3.0 V6, but again weighs nothing. Fair do it's only 2 seats but so's the Vette. 0-100mph in 8.1 seconds and 180+mph top wack.

Recently it beat the latest Porsche 911 GT3 and the Ford GT (540bhp) by over 4 seconds round the Rockingham race circuit. The C6 was quite a few seconds behind the GT.

But the C6 and C6 Z06 are certainly some of the greatest cars available today.
Trust me I'm not one of those American guys that misses out on some of the fun cars from others country have to offer. In fact I was born on an American base in Germany and I just recently came back to the states in '03 from my second stint of living in Germany. Those cars up there are pretty impressive. One thing you have to remember about the money thing is the British pound worth is more than the dollar so the prices for those cars would even out over here.

What I meant about the gas mileage is the times when you just wanna take the Z06 for a nice long cruise on the highway or when going on a vacation that's when it comes in handy. Also it can be used as a daily driver. I mean this car is faster than most exotic cars and it can be as civil as your neighbor's Honda Civic.
Old 10-14-2005, 10:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

looks like someone has a little problem with giving the z06 the props it deserves, just give in and admit it. nobodys saying its the fastest car on the road
Old 10-14-2005, 10:47 AM
TECH Addict

Trust me I'm not one of those American guys that misses out on some of the fun cars from others country have to offer. In fact I was born on an American base in Germany and I just recently came back to the states in '03 from my second stint of living in Germany. Those cars up there are pretty impressive. One thing you have to remember about the money thing is the British pound worth is more than the dollar so the prices for those cars would even out over here.
yeah the exchange rate really buggers it up for you guys.

What I meant about the gas mileage is the times when you just wanna take the Z06 for a nice long cruise on the highway or when going on a vacation that's when it comes in handy. Also it can be used as a daily driver. I mean this car is faster than most exotic cars and it can be as civil as your neighbor's Honda Civic.
I know what you mean. I love the fact that I can leave the air con on go for blast in my Z28 bouncing off the red line and still average 21mpg. My old Jagaur XJS V12 was not as fast by long shot (alhtough it did produce 300bhp) but it would do nearer 11mpg on the same driving conditions.

The z06 C6 is certainly going to be one of the best Corvettes so far. But even at £65,000 it's out of my price range (although it is still on my want list!). And if you can afford £65k on a car, it won't be your only car. Which means it opens up a whole new range of cars like the Radical/Caterham/Ariel style. They may look more impractical at 1st, but if it's purly a play thing there's not so much in it.
Old 10-14-2005, 10:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

TVR's are amazing cars..... but we dont miss out on the Second car. There are two Nobles in my area. They are awesome!

I didnt realize we are comparing the old C5 z06 to the new M5...... I have more fun comparing current lineups....

[sarcasm]300BHP.... lol.. you are a ricer.... where are your altezzas[/sarcasm]

It seems to me that some people get butt hurt when the Holy Grail of current GMs (Z06) gets beat performance wise or gets a bad review.

Its a bang for the buck car... it will not please everyone! Get over it people! Why should that stop any of us from loving it, and continuing to lust for one.
Old 10-14-2005, 10:50 AM
TECH Addict

looks like someone has a little problem with giving the z06 the props it deserves, just give in and admit it. nobodys saying its the fastest car on the road
yes they do actually, well in the case of the C6 variant anyhow. I even read a debate on a different forum about how some deluded chap though a STOCK C6 Z06 would walk all over an Ultima, on a circuit and 1/4 mile.

Even though the Ultima had 650bhp and weighed a considerable amount less than the Corvette. - It was shall we say a funny read.

The Z06 deserves props as does the C5 Z06, but that doesn't mean they can't be beat.
Old 10-14-2005, 10:56 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SporkLover
TVR's are amazing cars..... but we dont miss out on the Second car. There are two Nobles in my area. They are awesome!
cool, didn't know they had started exporting them. As for the TVR's they are good, but personally I wouldn't swap my Z28 for one.

I didnt realize we are comparing the old C5 z06 to the new M5...... I have more fun comparing current lineups....
It was C5 then some one said C6 Z06. But lets face a C6 Z06 would walk all over an M5 as easily as it would a C5 Z06.

[sarcasm]300BHP.... lol.. you are a ricer.... where are your altezzas[/sarcasm]
DOH! guess it doesn't translate so well in writing, lol.

It seems to me that some people get butt hurt when the Holy Grail of current GMs (Z06) gets beat performance wise or gets a bad review.
I think thats probably spot on. But it's the same with Stangs, mention a Cobra being beat and they go ape.

Its a bang for the buck car... it will not please everyone! Get over it people! Why should that stop any of us from loving it, and continuing to lust for one.
That's it entirly, different cars for different means and people.

The Vette may not be the 'best' looker or have the classiest interior. And exsclusivity won't be it's strong suit either.

But it is good looking, well make, drives great, handles well, savage performance all for a relativly affordable price.
Old 10-14-2005, 10:57 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The V10 M5 would def take the C5 Z06 front a dig and a roll IMO. I read a whole lot on the new M5 when it first came out and they actually have a sick M mode where you can actually launch the car at 3-4K rpms. From a stop I believe you enter M mode and then depress the brake and it will engage a torque converter and you can then launch the car and the traction controll will grip and do the rest, and then with 500+ HP i think that from both a dig and a roll it would beat out the C5 Z06. However a C6 Z06 is a completely different breed and would be a different story IMO.
Old 10-14-2005, 11:31 AM
Launching!

Here's a link to the article "2005 BMW M5 vs. Ferrari F430":

http://sportscarforums.com/showthread.php?t=5119

Pretty impressive for a sedan if you ask me. I also answered my own question because if the M5 can pull away from a Ferrari F430 then it definitely wouldn't have problem pulling a C5 Z06.

Last edited by TORNATIC!!; 10-14-2005 at 12:13 PM.
Old 10-14-2005, 02:47 PM
Teching In

Here's a link to the article "2005 BMW M5 vs. Ferrari F430":

http://sportscarforums.com/showthread.php?t=5119

Pretty impressive for a sedan if you ask me. I also answered my own question because if the M5 can pull away from a Ferrari F430 then it definitely wouldn't have problem pulling a C5 Z06.
wow ok now you're magazine racing...and a million bux says that magazine is in some way or another funded by BMW...and you are out of your mind if you think an m5 is gonna out run a F430. But since we are magazine racing...
0-100km/hr
m5 - 4.7 sec (bmw website)
F430 - 4.0 sec (ferrari website)
This thread has turned

Last edited by YlwGTO4m3; 10-14-2005 at 02:59 PM.
Old 10-14-2005, 03:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm sorry, but I have to agree. There's no way an E60 M5, stock, will outgun an F430. A 360 Modena... MAYBE. But the new F430? Absolutely not.

Whether that magazine is somehow affiliated with BMW or not, they're definitely smokin' something potent!
Old 10-14-2005, 04:45 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by YlwGTO4m3
wow ok now you're magazine racing...and a million bux says that magazine is in some way or another funded by BMW...and you are out of your mind if you think an m5 is gonna out run a F430. But since we are magazine racing...
0-100km/hr
m5 - 4.7 sec (bmw website)
F430 - 4.0 sec (ferrari website)
This thread has turned
Your talking about 0-60 times they did that race from a roll. Let's see:

Ferrari F430:

Weight: 3197
Type: V8
Displacement: 4308 cc
Horsepower: 490 bhp @ 8500 rpm
Torque: 343 lb-ft @ 5250 rpm
Redline: 8500 rpm