Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

C5 Z06 Vs. Bmw M5??

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2005, 03:19 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MetallicBluews6
2006 Z06 vs V10 M5 would be interesting.

you've gotta be kidding me. sure they both have 500 horse, but the z06 weighs 3132 lbs. while the M5 weighs 4012 lbs.

z06 no contest...
Old 10-19-2005, 03:24 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by silver02ss
you've gotta be kidding me. sure they both have 500 horse, but the z06 weighs 3132 lbs. while the M5 weighs 4012 lbs.

z06 no contest...

i also agree
Old 10-19-2005, 03:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
ok showme ONE modded Fbody that is more relaible, more economical than stock and will no trouble going to the main dealer for a warranty claim, with something like a cylinder head gasket, high oil consumption or broken diff/drive shaft.

And as you know I'm meaning a mod to be a K&n or a CD played.

Swapping parts out lowers reliabilty, as a rule esp on other stock components. Even non directly related parts, like an Fbody 10 bolt. With stock power and stock rubber it's a rare event to break it, add LT's, cat back, lid, tune, pulley, rear end change and some DR's and it's a different story altogether.

And BTW HEADERS increase fuel consumption - more air (better breathing due to lower restriction) means you car would run LEAN so it there for needs extra fuel to be added. Thus less economical.

There are only 2 reason why MPG will be unaffected or slightly imporve.

1. You now make the same power for less effort, so to achieve the same performance as before you don't have to drive as hard. However drive it the same and you'll go faster and burn more fuel.

2. As already stated if the breathing is increased the AF will go lean, the PCM can only correct so far, but if you car is running lean then yes it will appear as better MPG
I never had a problem getting warranty service on my 99 Z....headers, cam, nitrous(easy to remove)....example cited. Plenty of dealer contacts.

Take a TBI 305 for example, running perfect that choked down 145bhp engine cant beat 14mpg. You increase the efficency of the engine by taking away exhaust restrictions then leaning the tune and adding timing, quite simple really.....results in a slight increase in fuel economy.
Old 10-20-2005, 06:08 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by cantdrv65
I never had a problem getting warranty service on my 99 Z....headers, cam, nitrous(easy to remove)....example cited. Plenty of dealer contacts. .
Are you saying you would remove the headers, cam and N20 everytime you took it in for service???

Originally Posted by cantdrv65
Take a TBI 305 for example, running perfect that choked down 145bhp engine cant beat 14mpg. You increase the efficency of the engine by taking away exhaust restrictions then leaning the tune and adding timing, quite simple really.....results in a slight increase in fuel economy.
What would the effect be if you add H/C and CAI to a car and leave the exhaust 100% stock? thats what i am planning on doing on my 01 Z06...
Old 10-21-2005, 03:39 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by KB99WS6
What would the effect be if you add H/C and CAI to a car and leave the exhaust 100% stock? thats what i am planning on doing on my 01 Z06...
basically you'd make more power, but it's potential may be limited.

There's some really good info in the external engine forum. The bottom sticky has lots of good info about exhausts.

There's basically two sides to it, exhaust pressure wave (which I find rather complex and beyond average Jo) and flow rate.

The guide is 2.2cfm per 1hp

To much flow will mean excess noise and loss of low rpm torque, to little flow and it will limit the high rpm breathing capabilities of the engine.

What you need to find out is the flow rate of the different components and try and match them as well as you can with your expected bhp level.

The only thing I haven't been able to find numbers for is the degregation rate, I guess this is because there are too many variables.

But the question you need to ask yourself is, if you keep the stock mufflers and loose 5-15rwhp but retain the current noise levels, could youlive with it?

Of course there's no way of knowing how much BHP you'll loose without doing back to back test under controlled conditions.
Old 10-21-2005, 08:29 AM
TECH Resident

I wouldn't switch my catback/mufflers regardless. The stock Z06 catback exhaust actually flows as well as most aftermarket systems. Plus its all titanium so its really light. The restriction is the Headers/y-pipe/stock pup cats. I certainly know I will bottleneck a decent amount of power with keeping the stock headers but I would prefer a stealth setup...at least for now. My question was mostly refering to gas mileage. I am wondering how the H/C would affect gas mileage leaving the stock headers/y-pipe & cats. Like, would I get a lot better ga mileage if I opened up the flow through the manifold with LT's & hi-flo cats after adding H/C, and will the H/C somehow have the effect of really hurting gas mileage keeping the stock manifolds.
Old 10-21-2005, 08:41 AM
Bad Trader (Louis H)

Its all about back pressure when it comes to LT1/LS1s more back pressure means more torque but you'll sacrafice horsepower!
Old 10-22-2005, 10:41 PM
On The Tree

haha im bench racing with cars ill never own look at me!!!!!11111111
Old 10-23-2005, 10:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vtanju
so guys how can i post the videos for the C5 vs M5, need some help here
e-mail it to me and I'll host it, or just use yousendit.com and give us the link ?

racehead@verizon.net
Old 10-24-2005, 06:37 AM
TECH Junkie

Are you saying you would remove the headers, cam and N20 everytime you took it in for service???...
No, just the N2O.... Dealers really cannot legally deny warranty unless they can attribute a failure directly to an aftermarket part. (I.E. modify exhaust....exhaust warranty void) Of course if you modify the engine via cam, its all up to the individual dealer on the engine, most would probably deny warranty. You wont lose anything keeping the stock Ti exhaust and going to high flow headers/cats....

You would lose a little by keeping the stock manifolds, the biggest losses however would come from the stock 01 cats. One of the biggest changes between the 01s and 02's was better cats.

Quick Reply: C5 Z06 Vs. Bmw M5??