Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

ls1 vs. 89 5.0 mustang

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2005, 12:27 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kazfan30
HMMM.....lets keep one thing in mind here the 5.(slows)some of you guys call them...was kicking the **** out of 90% of F-bodys around the same years...and with little work can still beat them. The LS1 is by far a superior engine....and the technology gap is quite large...so racing a bolt LS1 with a Bolt on 5.0 is about same as a bolt on LS1 with a bolt on LS7...this in mind that guy in the 89 mustang OBVIOUSLY has no clue what the LS1's can do...Sorry if i offended anyone I just get irritated when the 5.0s and Grand Nationals dont get the respect they deserve...these cars BEGUN the fuel injected performance revolution.
Old 10-29-2005, 08:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

thanks for agreeing..
Old 10-31-2005, 11:08 PM
Banned

yes i agree, the 5.0's are very outdated compared to the ls1, and yes the owner of this 5.0 had no idea obviously about my car, telling me that he kills camaro's and firebirds all day... i was wondering if maybe he assumed i had the 6cyl. as he called my car a "little firebird"... i had warned him that i was in deed not a 6cyl but he insisted on "kicking my ***".
Old 11-01-2005, 12:18 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

He sounded like an ignorant ***, but i do disagree about the "outdated" mess. You are the ones who cant put a set of headers on without fiddling with the ECU...
in all seriousness though, the LS1 is an awesome engine and i agree, it does have a few ups on the ol 5.0. Then again the old "it beat your TPI of the same year" argument...it never ends, everything DOES indeed get better, usually. Props on putting the ignorant guy in place.
Old 11-01-2005, 12:31 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Stanger88
Well...weak is relative. I agree, stock tghey arent special, but with just gears and exhaust/CAI/pullies my friend pretty well kept up with my 95 TA. I beat him, but it wasnt anything i would brag about. But yeah, stock LS1 kills them, badly.
i wouldnt say stock ls1s kill them, perhaps from a roll they do but not from a dig , my car has exhaust, pullies,gears and slicks and has been 13.15@103 with a 1.86 60 i would say thats a lil far from weak
Old 11-01-2005, 02:01 AM
Banned

gears and slicks on an ls1 would be mid 12's....
Old 11-01-2005, 09:56 AM
Launching!

Default 5.0

It's really neat how the last 5.0 rolled off the assembly line back in 95 and people are still talking about those little motors today in 05 like they just came out . This little motor 302 cubes is still around strong as ever,the Ls1 is 347 cubes and is just plain bigger.The fact that the 5.0 can hang with 5.7 Ls1s modded or not is amazing . The 5.0 is the underdog and always will be, but thats the one thing that makes it so fun to drive. But the fact remains that the 5.0 has to be modded to even hang with a stock Ls1, but anybody can go out buy an Ls1 and run 13s or even high 12s. But it's ten times more satisfying when you buy a car and build the motor and achieve the same times in a car that has less cubes and costs thousands of dollars less than the Ls1s do.
Old 11-01-2005, 10:21 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by kennyxg
It's really neat how the last 5.0 rolled off the assembly line back in 95 and people are still talking about those little motors today in 05 like they just came out . This little motor 302 cubes is still around strong as ever,the Ls1 is 347 cubes and is just plain bigger.The fact that the 5.0 can hang with 5.7 Ls1s modded or not is amazing . The 5.0 is the underdog and always will be, but thats the one thing that makes it so fun to drive. But the fact remains that the 5.0 has to be modded to even hang with a stock Ls1, but anybody can go out buy an Ls1 and run 13s or even high 12s. But it's ten times more satisfying when you buy a car and build the motor and achieve the same times in a car that has less cubes and costs thousands of dollars less than the Ls1s do.
I hate to throw a spanner in the works, but if 5.0's get this respect why not 4 cylinder cars that run strong?

Whats so different about them, they have less cubes and sometimes cost less. Yet if they hang or beat a V8 they get called POS.

Slightly hypocritical would you say?
Old 11-01-2005, 10:33 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
I hate to throw a spanner in the works, but if 5.0's get this respect why not 4 cylinder cars that run strong?

Whats so different about them, they have less cubes and sometimes cost less. Yet if they hang or beat a V8 they get called POS.

Old 11-01-2005, 10:40 AM
Banned

I respect fast 4-cylinder cars, I never dissed the EVO/STI crowd and as long as they respect me, i have NO PROBLEM with 4 cylinder cars that hit hard. Its RICE that I hate. As far as the 5.0 thing, I could have buoght an LS1 for the price I payed in restoring/modding my 5.0. Reason I didnt is that i like the 5.0's Plain and simple. If you like your F-body, great, wont hear anything out of me about it, its about preference. I owned the F-body, now i have the fox body. I like the fox. (I do miss the sharper reflexes of the F-bod, but i hope once i put a rear sway bar on it will help.)
Old 11-01-2005, 10:44 AM
TECH Addict

I respect fast 4-cylinder cars, I never dissed the EVO/STI crowd and as long as they respect me, i have NO PROBLEM with 4 cylinder cars that hit hard. Its RICE that I hate. As far as the 5.0 thing, I could have buoght an LS1 for the price I payed in restoring/modding my 5.0. Reason I didnt is that i like the 5.0's Plain and simple. If you like your F-body, great, wont hear anything out of me about it, its about preference. I owned the F-body, now i have the fox body. I like the fox. (I do miss the sharper reflexes of the F-bod, but i hope once i put a rear sway bar on it will help.)
yeah I know you're pretty level headed when it comes to cars. And it wasn't a dig at kennyxg either, just a general comment. As no matter whether it's rice or not there's always a few that claim them to be slow waste of space regardless.
Old 11-01-2005, 10:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

I can't really think of any 4cyl. in the US that date back to '87 and can easily run mid 13's with less than $1000 in mods.....and have a base price of about 10k ('87). This is why the 5.0 gets the respect it does.
Old 11-01-2005, 10:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by XSSpeed
My buddy has a pretty nice modded 89 gt.
sorry to be a dick but WTF does "pretty nice modded" mean?
that is a dumb undescriptive phrase do not use it anymore
Old 11-01-2005, 10:46 AM
Launching!

Default 5.0

Wow! if you have that much money in a fox body it must be one fast beautiful car. post some pics up.
Old 11-01-2005, 10:50 AM
Banned

My opinion is this, if you like it, and you drive it, its cool with me, just keep your car in your lane and if its meant to be offensive, your opinion to yourself. I used to hang out EXCLUSIVELY with a bunch of 5.0 people back when I had my LT1 TA. THey were awesome, noone had anythign bad to say about my car and when i was looking to get a 5.0 they helped me out and advised me a couple of times NOT to get it b/c it would be a step down (the particular car i was looking at). As far as the F-body crowd, they arent that popular here and so there is no "Group" to hang with, but unless they are asses, i see no reason why i couldnt if i wanted to. Hell, there is one guy in my class who likes the 200SX Nissans. He was asking me about buying one from my friend that had the massive carbon fiber wing on the back and all. THen he told me "first thing is that POS wing is coming off the back,its getting a decent paint job, the engine is getting re-done with forged internals, and i am running FI on it." I HEAVILY respect that.

BTW, never had a run-in with an *** of a mustang owner when I had my TA, BUT since having my 5.0 one guy in a Z28 LS1 laughed at me when I told him I was not boosted. (He won, but my fan belt slipped b/c i DShifted next to him as he did his ricer fly-by style race and he beat me 4-5 cars 60-100 with him jumping from 1.5 car s back and me only using 4th gear). At the light I could not shake his opinion that i was running an SC.
Old 11-01-2005, 10:54 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by mattkimsey
I can't really think of any 4cyl. in the US that date back to '87 and can easily run mid 13's with less than $1000 in mods.....and have a base price of about 10k ('87). This is why the 5.0 gets the respect it does.
I dunno about age or cost in the US. But even something like swapping in a newer turbo unit from a breakers or scrap heap. There's lots of possibility.

But even budget price aside, some of the rally wanta be's are pretty fast, and comparitivly speaking don't cost anymore than a new V8 equiverlent.
Old 11-01-2005, 11:04 AM
Launching!

Hey 300bhp/ton are there any 5.0 mustangs where you live?
Old 11-01-2005, 11:16 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by kennyxg
Hey 300bhp/ton are there any 5.0 mustangs where you live?
sadly no

They are reasonlbly popular for the drag racers over here, but you seldom see them on the road. I've seen one late vert and that's about it this year.

I really wouldn't mind one actually, 87 or newer LX Notch 5 speed. But I've already got the Z28 and a 1977 Triumph TR7 V8, so I can't really jusitfy buying any more cars.
Old 11-01-2005, 11:37 AM
Launching!

sadly no

They are reasonlbly popular for the drag racers over here, but you seldom see them on the road. I've seen one late vert and that's about it this year.

I really wouldn't mind one actually, 87 or newer LX Notch 5 speed. But I've already got the Z28 and a 1977 Triumph TR7 V8, so I can't really jusitfy buying any more cars.
Yeah the notch to me is the best bang for the buck so to speak.I have owned two of them .
Old 11-01-2005, 11:56 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by mattkimsey
Well in 85 Ford made the SVO mustang. 4 cyl turbo that made 205hp. I'm sure with 1000$ in mods it would run 13's maybe even 12's. That would be the ONLY 4 cyl I'd ever own. -Mark

http://www.mustangsvo.org/svostory.htm

The 5.0 was the pioneer for the new muscle car era (80's to present)

Quick Reply: ls1 vs. 89 5.0 mustang