Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

05' Mustangs a Joke

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2005, 10:20 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Stanger88
Stock the GT pulls low 13's in capable hands with 13.15 being the best time so recorded by Race Pages Magazine in a recent issue. With LT's and a CAI I bet it would be in the 12's. Thats pretty laughable though, eh? I mean, its a joke aint it?

I have seen a bonestock SS run 12.9! Does that mean all SS and WS6 cars are 12 sec stock street cars? It doesnt seem that he is saying every 05-06 GT is laughable, What is laughable is this guy he raced knows jack **** about cars. This guy thinks his stock GT is a world beatin Chevy killer. I personally love the looks and mod possibilties for this car. That one Unit posted is one of the nicest I have seen. I am just glad ford finally made a GT that can hang with our f-bodies. It has been a while.
Old 11-03-2005, 10:35 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

39K is a rather high price, we sold our vert's for mid 30's (well, if you count TTL then it would be 39 i guess). Also, as to the whole Mustang dyno vs. Dyno jet. I would like every LS1 owner who has posted dyno #'s in their pro to RE-post mustang dyno numbers so that your LS1 is no-longer over-rated. Please, i mean, good for the goose...and all that. Seriously though, i was leafing through a review of the A5 05 mustang GT and it put out 266 rwhp. The 5-speed should EASILY hit 280. And yes, i agree, a 12's f-bod is not the norm, nor is a 13.1 mustang, but i thought i stated that already.
Old 11-03-2005, 10:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by unit213
What's really laughable is that you think all '05 GT's are slow because you beat one that was most likely stock.
Here's one that belongs to a friend that recently went 12.13 @ 117mph.
It looks a hell of a lot better than your car...and it's faster.
whats laughable is the cocky guy who thought he was so badass in his new mustang (so many people think these things are just rocketships). but out of the 6 or 7 that i have asked to race none did. here's my buddy's civic that went 10.89 @ 129mph - thats a response. always a faster car

and that 05 gt doesnt look better than a ls1 ss. i love the way the back end of an ss looks.
Old 11-03-2005, 10:41 AM
STF veteran / 10 second club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the car makes around 280rwhp with a 5-speed and weighs about 3500. It pulled a 1.8 60' stock and ran 13.15 @99.9X mph as tested by Race Pages and they slipped the clutch from 4K and powershifted the 1-2 shift to achieve these results. Bone stock down to the paper air filter. Top end in the car is not great, but the suspension helps a lot on launch and they turn good 1/4 mile times with a good driver. One was also tested by another magazine at 4.9 0-60 and most magazines agree on 5.2-5.4 0-60.
Wow ... that's an aweful lot of magazine subscriptions you have.

Do you have a link to this 13.15 second 1/4, I looked around for a minute or two and couldn't find anything ... or better yet, maybe you could tell us some low times from one of the more reputable testing mags. From what I've seen, 05+ GT's are high 13 second cars, which is a far cry from a 13.15.

I like to give props where they're due, but I really think Ferd dropped the ball with the GT performance wise. And don't think I have anything against Ford, I'd be just as skeptical if you told me a bone stock LT1 f-bod ran a 13.1 second quarter.
Old 11-03-2005, 10:43 AM
Banned

I pesonally cant wait to see what kind of beast this new shelby is going to be. I dont care what the badge on the car says. As long as it is american, sounds good and runs fast. I would take a 21 sec 93 cavalier over a 10 sec honda all day.
Old 11-03-2005, 10:47 AM
12 Second Club

39K is a rather high price, we sold our vert's for mid 30's (well, if you count TTL then it would be 39 i guess). Also, as to the whole Mustang dyno vs. Dyno jet. I would like every LS1 owner who has posted dyno #'s in their pro to RE-post mustang dyno numbers so that your LS1 is no-longer over-rated. Please, i mean, good for the goose...and all that. Seriously though, i was leafing through a review of the A5 05 mustang GT and it put out 266 rwhp. The 5-speed should EASILY hit 280. And yes, i agree, a 12's f-bod is not the norm, nor is a 13.1 mustang, but i thought i stated that already.
So an auto put down 266 so a manual should lay down at least 14 more...not sure about your math there. The dynos I have seen on the GTs have been 253 - 263 generally. I would say the highest I remember seeing was 1 that was 270 or 271, never seen a 280 but you never know.
Old 11-03-2005, 10:48 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I actually got the magazine for free, DarkHorse performance sent it with my TKo500 tranny. As to the E.T. I will go and find a link for you, if i cant find it, i will give you the magazine issue # and you can look it up if you are so inclined. Point is, i read it, i didnt se/do it, and i have no reason to BS on it b/c i think the F-bod is still more POWERFUL than the new GT and i own neither.
Old 11-03-2005, 10:51 AM
12 Second Club

Point is, i read it, i didnt se/do it, and i have no reason to BS on it b/c i think the F-bod is still more POWERFUL than the new GT and i own neither.

Personally I like your 88 GT better (as far as looks are concerned)...but I like the 05's better everyday.
Old 11-03-2005, 11:02 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 98SuperSport
whats laughable is the cocky guy who thought he was so badass in his new mustang (so many people think these things are just rocketships). but out of the 6 or 7 that i have asked to race none did. here's my buddy's civic that went 10.89 @ 129mph - thats a response. always a faster car

and that 05 gt doesnt look better than a ls1 ss. i love the way the back end of an ss looks.
Old 11-03-2005, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by xphantomws6x
I like to give props where they're due, but I really think Ferd dropped the ball with the GT performance wise. And don't think I have anything against Ford, I'd be just as skeptical if you told me a bone stock LT1 f-bod ran a 13.1 second quarter.
I have to totally agree with you on this. Ford has always done this since the Fox bodies. I was a complete Fordophile til' I got my 1LE because I wasn't going to fork out $60K for a Cobra R. The Mustang is a big money maker for Ford. It's low cost to design and build (struts & solid axle suspension). It's underdesigned at this day and time. It was done so, so that Ford could cater to the immense aftermarket for that car.The Mustang is a big seller for Ford. It wins hands down on the following it has versus the Camaro. They took a cheap car, reskinned it for even more appeal. I got tired of having to practically field strip a Mustang and rebuild or redesign it, just to get the car at a starting point to a level where you can reliably go up on performance.

I'm tired of the over promotion of the Shelby name. I mean come awn heree!! Come up with something new; start a new legacy. Only problem I have with the Ford GT, is dicking around with a dealership at the price range those cars go for, that is used to mainly selling pick-ups and 500's. They don't know how to handle themselves. Engineering to engineering, I'll go foreign when I dance on that floor. I'll stick to a company that only deals and builds in that league and nothing else. Then I can trust that.
Old 11-03-2005, 11:11 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Also, as to the whole Mustang dyno vs. Dyno jet. I would like every LS1 owner who has posted dyno #'s in their pro to RE-post mustang dyno numbers so that your LS1 is no-longer over-rated. Please, i mean, good for the goose...and all that.
Well there's 2 issues here.

1. On a Mustang dyno 290-300rwbhp is pretty common. So it still equates to about 345-350bhp at the engine. The dyno claims of 320+rwbhp are undoubtably from a Dynojet or similar dyno.Once again giving the 20 or extra rwbhp difference.

2. From 97 to 04 the Corvette was rated at 345bhp. This was not disputed, and there certainly where not claims of the car being overatted. Yet an Fbody will dyno almost identical or slightly higher in some cases than the C5 Corvette. Logic would therefore suggest the Fbody actually produces ~345bhp. It certainly has the performance at the track to back up such claims.

In addition the replacement engine from GM Performance Parts (rated by GM at 320BHP SAE Net) was tested by Hot Rod magazine a few years back. It was actually producing ~350bhp on an engine dyno.

They also tested a crate LS6, it did produce a little more than advertised, but only by less than 5bhp (if memory serves GM rated it at 405BHP SAE Net, and Hot Rod magazine rated it at 407bhp after all correction values where taken into account) and was generally accepted to be with in the bounds of manufacturing tolorancies.
Old 11-03-2005, 11:12 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by unit213
Here's one that belongs to a friend that recently went 12.13 @ 117mph.
It looks a hell of a lot better than your car...and it's faster.

Mod's please.
Old 11-03-2005, 11:28 AM
TECH Addict

this is what im saying, he had a 05' GT and thought he was bad ***. so i raced him in my SS which look at the mods list, is not much more than stock. and no way in hell do they look better than f-bodys. and for unit213 that posted that black stang', you're putting words in my mouth i never said one couldn't be modded and made fast, hell any car can. There's a F*ckin dodge caravan whoopin the **** outta a Z28 on the videos.
Old 11-03-2005, 11:31 AM
11 Second Club

My .02$

I think Ford did a great job by going retro and making it look good. The GT motor makes 40hp more than previous years. Another plus. I think probably the only downside is that I think it weighs more than previous years. But just to remind everyone is that companies are out to make money. We are a small % of people who actually modify and race our cars. Companies just care about sales and the all mighty dollar. Nothing more. Sales are great for the mustang cause normal people buy them and drive to and from work, school, etc. They don't put blowers, exhaust on them. Bitch all you want about how slow and ugly the new mustangs may be, but I won't be as upset if Ford decided to make a stang that I personally don't like rather than to just end production of a car that originated near 30 yrs ago. GM proved that when they ended the F-body. Do you think they really cared about the car enthusiast? I don't. -Mark
Old 11-03-2005, 11:35 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 99camarosupersport
this is what im saying, he had a 05' GT and thought he was bad ***. so i raced him in my SS which look at the mods list, is not much more than stock. and no way in hell do they look better than f-bodys. and for unit213 that posted that black stang', you're putting words in my mouth i never said one couldn't be modded and made fast, hell any car can. There's a F*ckin dodge caravan whoopin the **** outta a Z28 on the videos.
All I'm saying is that you're just as cocky as the guy you're talking **** about.

Whoever brought up price...the car in the pic I posted was $22K.
Old 11-03-2005, 11:44 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ouchburns
Is that the one on 20's that I saw at Grand Bend Motorplex about 2 months ago that came in on a trailer? I thought I saw him do an 11.99, if it was him.
Nope...this is a street car that doesn't get trailered.
Old 11-03-2005, 11:56 AM
TECH Resident

My .02 here, The guy sawa Mustang, he wanted some.....he set it up...they reaced...Fbod won....Why is that so bad...The guy in the Stang scoffed at him thinking his stang was "bad" kinda like a ricer mentality.

But heah we ALL have our moments....I could care less if I won or lost it's just down right fun!!
Old 11-03-2005, 11:57 AM
Launching!

Default Gt vs Ls1

First off, nice kill. A win is a win and I own Mustang, I don't know why Ford keeps missing around with this 4.6 crap.Wish they would have stuck to improving their 5.0L pushrod motor or even came out with an aluminum head 351 engine.Just my opinion.Hard to compare 281 cubes to 347 cubes without a super charger. Not to say it can't or hasn't been done before,just harder to do.
Old 11-03-2005, 12:48 PM
STF veteran / 10 second club

Originally Posted by LS1-450
Mod's please.

He is a mod.
Old 11-03-2005, 12:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by xphantomws6x
He is a mod.
Yeah, I know (also realize you are joking). Anyway, because he is a mod., I feel as though some of the feedback here has been restrained. Wanted the mod's. on his friend's car for further clarification that the stock 250 RWHP 3,425# car that originally ran low 13's in magic land, isn't now viewed as the one capable of low 12's.