Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

98 SS vs. 02 WS6

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2005, 11:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Camaro 0wner
Yeah, he's going to gain 4mph with a different gear...

I guess a gear makes HP now a days.
I'm glad someone else agree's

Last edited by HartAttack; 12-31-2005 at 05:51 AM.
Old 12-30-2005, 03:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 01+ might barely average higher #'s, but is not always the case. Being a handbuilt motor it makes more of a difference as to what day the car was built on vs. whether it has the 01+ parts on it. You will also find that some of the 98-00 cars will dyno as high if not higher than an 01+ car. We are talking about stock cars here. The LS6 helps, but does not do alot for the small truck cam, maybe a couple hp. The LS6 was designed for a ZO6, with a cam that has much greater lift and heads that flow better at higher lift #'s. Unported, the 241's are just smoother than the earlier castings, not a totally different design. This is only a slight advantage. Then you have the exhaust manifold, another slight advantage. All in all you will get a couple hp per part for the 01+ pieces, which is partially offset by the smaller truck cam and the more aggressive timing of the 98 cars. What I've been trying to say is that there are many that say oooooh it's got an LS6 intake so it's faster. All I'm saying is that on a stock car, the parts the 01+ cars got don't do a whole lot. How well the car was built makes a bigger difference than whether the car has an LS6 intake or not. Once again, the 01+ cars may GENERALLY dyno slightly higher, but this is not always the case. The 98-02 cars are all VERY close.
Old 12-30-2005, 04:09 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 2.73 Vette
That remark about 1998 SS camaros pullin 13.6 and the 03 ws6 runnin high 12's is BS....

Put them on a dyno and there MAY be a 5 rwhp advantage for the ws6..

They also have the same weight.....

Youve got like a 1 and 10,000 chance of hitting 12's stock on any F body...

The WS6 is usualy 1-2 tenths quicker than the ss camaro...But power has nonthing to do with it....It's much easier for the mag rags and actual owners to get 1.9 60 fts out of the Bird than the camaro....The camaro is easy for 2.0's...While the C5 is even worst at hooking than the camaro and is easy to get 2.1's with....

Do you have 3.73's or 2.73's? I think you did a typo on one of them...

The typical 2.73 a4 SS 1999 camaro is gonna do NO BETTER than 13.6 at 103 mph.....

The typical 3.42 mn6 WS6 is gonna do no better than 13.2 at 106 mph....

That would be a 4 car length butt woopin....

If you said you have 3.73's in your 99 a4 SS camaro...

The 3.73's vrs 2.73's should be good for 4 tenths and 4 mph...

Putting you at 13.2 at 107 mph...If thats the case then it's a drivers race.
Nothing but true statements here.

Turn over the keys to average everyday driver's and 99% of STOCK LS1 F-body's are not going to turn in a 12 sec timeslip.

Miracles do happen though. Like hidden N20 and 80 MPH tail winds.
Old 12-30-2005, 04:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by HartAttack
Thats easy to see
I took out a couple '01-'02 cars with that '98 i had, but it was because i could drive better then they could. I knew both people i was racing. Its only about 10-15 hp/tq advantage. An advantage that can also be slowed down with things like, .....a big sub box in the back, or big heavy 18 inch rims.
But its enough to win if the driver is any good.And also enough to loose if they are too heavy.
But say If you took a completely stock..only a new tune up... '98-'00 z28 ...and a '01-'02 z28 with a new tune up...and the same exact drivers...the '01-'02 would out mph the '98-00, and dyno more as well. I promise you. I have seen it happen ever since the '01-'02 cars came out.
Its just a fact. IMO.
I agree with what you're saying, but doesn't the 01-02 just have the LS6 manifold over the 98-00?
Old 12-30-2005, 04:24 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SSmokin99
I agree with what you're saying, but doesn't the 01-02 just have the LS6 manifold over the 98-00?

No. How can you agree if you don't even know the differences between the cars? Did you read anything in my post above?
Old 12-30-2005, 05:28 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Camaro 0wner
Yeah, he's going to gain 4mph with a different gear...

I guess a gear makes HP now a days.

I hope you are kidding,
You can easily gain mph by swapping out rear gears,it changes the rpm you are running through the traps,stock 2:73's are still in second through the traps in some cases or at the bottom of third.
A gear swap can and does effect mph if chosen correctly,assuming traction with the new gears.

Need a stickier tire to see gains usually.
Old 12-31-2005, 06:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Redneck Z
The 01+ might barely average higher #'s, but is not always the case.
All I'm saying is that on a stock car, the parts the 01+ cars got don't do a whole lot. How well the car was built makes a bigger difference than whether the car has an LS6 intake or not. Once again, the 01+ cars may GENERALLY dyno slightly higher, but this is not always the case. The 98-02 cars are all VERY close.
Your right its not ALWAYS the case. But most of the time it is. I have seen some dyno more than others as well. But then again it can be a case of what kind of dyno they were on etc.. To many factors can play into that.
On a stock vs stock car the Ls6 intake does only a tiny bit of difference in power. Just like putting on a FAST 90/90 on a stock car doesnt gain but maybe 3hp from what i have seen.
But as soon as you start modding the car it responds alot better on the '01-'02 cars.
But your right stock for stock it is a very marginal difference.But its still a difference.
Old 12-31-2005, 07:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by redsscamaroboy
I hope you are kidding,
You can easily gain mph by swapping out rear gears,it changes the rpm you are running through the traps,stock 2:73's are still in second through the traps in some cases or at the bottom of third.
A gear swap can and does effect mph if chosen correctly,assuming traction with the new gears.

Need a stickier tire to see gains usually.
We are talking about stock 98-02 cars..
It is true that changing your gears when you have a high peaking motor setup can help your motor stay in its power band to produce higher trap speeds when heavily modded.
But stock for stock...your only going to get ET out of it from what i have seen.