Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

I hate Ricers! 300 horsepower naturally aspirated 4cyl...yeah right!

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2005, 08:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Xtnct00WS6
Let me go on the record by saying that I hate Ricers with a passion! They are the stupidest people that I've ever come into contact with!

I had a guy telling me last night that he has a Civic that will peel out in every gear including 5th. He also said he has a 300 horsepower 4 cylinder engine but he's never seen it on the dyno and has no dyno sheet to prove it. The best part was that he's naturally aspirated! The guy is dirt poor and I'm sure he couldn't afford any kind of power adder! I wonder how many stickers he has that make him go even faster!

Just to ease my curiosity, there's no way that there could be a 300 horsepower naturally aspirated 4 cylinder is there? Especially without spending a good 50 grand! Even then you need a power adder! The STI's engine is a 2.5 litre that's turbocharged! I can respect that, but not a mid 90's civic that allegedly has 300 hp!

Like I said, I hate RICERS! They are all

My friend has a all motor s2k. He has a 2.5lt stroker, 11.5 to1 c/r, AEM EMS, and ITBs His car has 15- 20K in it and it makes about 285-300 hp. We dont know yet but it did 252rwhp with just the block
Old 11-14-2005, 08:30 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by blkturbos2k
My friend has a all motor s2k. He has a 2.5lt stroker, 11.5 to1 c/r, AEM EMS, and ITBs His car has 15- 20K in it and it makes about 285-300 hp. We dont know yet but it did 252rwhp with just the block

Here is a pic of his car

Old 11-14-2005, 08:49 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Red Cell
on Pump Gas? 300hp 4 cyl
I dont think its possible.

lol
I'd have to agree, if one did have 300hp they have some serious cash invested in or a hidden nirtous shot under the intake manifold. Either way wasting money on a 4 banger is pointless. No matter what the sound like
Old 11-14-2005, 09:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Actually, on the cover of some ricer performance magazine i found, they were featuring a "9 second N/A RSX". Had to look at it.

It was a 300hp naturally aspirated 4 banger, very doubtful that it ran on pump gas, and the engine was so insanely radical that after every run or so, a very internal and very expensive part in the engine would break. The guys that run it say they've grown to know exactly when all the parts need changing, which is after like every 3rd race.

Also, the "car" was basically an aluminum roll cage on an aluminum platform with a fiberglass body, probably couldn't have weighed more than 1000lbs.

I think it's amazing that a 4 banger n/a could possibly make 300hp, but through the means they used to get it there, and the maintenance involved just to say you can run 9's n/a in something you call an RSX, i'm not too impressed. Why not go the whole way and make a motorcycle dragster, you know?
Old 11-14-2005, 10:43 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thankyou black S2k. Your friends car was the one to which i reffered.
Old 11-14-2005, 11:27 PM
TECH Junkie

A 250 whp k-series motor is not difficult to build, and it would be very streetable. That would be about a 285 crank hp engine.

I can think of several ways to take a 250 whp k-series up into the 280-290 whp range. But at that point you will be sacraficing streetability.
Old 11-15-2005, 08:03 AM
Teching In

300hp N/A from a 4 banger? yes it can be done...................who cares would be a better question.

8 to 12K rpm all day? yeah, that engine is going to be a daily driver, and last

Ive never been around, or seen V8 guys take up for 4 bangers before.

Whatever floats your boat I guess.

Id rather put the $$$ into a V8 than into a 4 banger.

Dollar for Dollar the 4 banger is going to lose.

NO REPLACEMENT FOR DISPLACEMENT.................Does anyone still use that, or am I too old?
Old 11-15-2005, 08:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DelawareFiero
300hp N/A from a 4 banger? yes it can be done...................who cares would be a better question.
Well anyone with more than half a brain, and anyone who isn't hung like a baby rabbit

8 to 12K rpm all day? yeah, that engine is going to be a daily driver, and last
Possibly. But there are many DOHC engines that rev to 8000rpm+ STOCK.

Ive never been around, or seen V8 guys take up for 4 bangers before.
Then you're living in a mythical dark age.

Id rather put the $$$ into a V8 than into a 4 banger.
That is an option SOMETIMES. But often a V8 just isn't an appropriate or even feasible option. And you have to realise that although V8's are common place in the US, the world is actually a FAR FAR bigger place, where large capcity engines are generally frowned apon.

Dollar for Dollar the 4 banger is going to lose.
Again MAYBE. Last year at the Brighton Speed trials a 250bhp Caterham clocked a 10.95 ET on street tyres, plus this was on a bumpy sea front road closed for the event. At a drag strip it would have been quicker. You can build a Caterham-like for less than 2.5K get an engine from a breakers and add a few bits to it and it'll beat many of the Fbody's and Corvette's on this site.

NO REPLACEMENT FOR DISPLACEMENT.................Does anyone still use that, or am I too old?
Yes, but not many BECAUSE it's a lame comment. And only insecure men feel the need to quote it. As there are many, many substitutes for displacement and have always been. Hence back in the 60's the BIG V8 Ford's and GM's still used to loose to the likes of 1.3 litre Mini's round a race track.
Old 11-15-2005, 10:59 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
Well anyone with more than half a brain, and anyone who isn't hung like a baby rabbit

Possibly. But there are many DOHC engines that rev to 8000rpm+ STOCK.

Then you're living in a mythical dark age.

That is an option SOMETIMES. But often a V8 just isn't an appropriate or even feasible option. And you have to realise that although V8's are common place in the US, the world is actually a FAR FAR bigger place, where large capcity engines are generally frowned apon.

Again MAYBE. Last year at the Brighton Speed trials a 250bhp Caterham clocked a 10.95 ET on street tyres, plus this was on a bumpy sea front road closed for the event. At a drag strip it would have been quicker. You can build a Caterham-like for less than 2.5K get an engine from a breakers and add a few bits to it and it'll beat many of the Fbody's and Corvette's on this site.

Yes, but not many BECAUSE it's a lame comment. And only insecure men feel the need to quote it. As there are many, many substitutes for displacement and have always been. Hence back in the 60's the BIG V8 Ford's and GM's still used to loose to the likes of 1.3 litre Mini's round a race track.
Its OK not to be a pushrod guy and still own one bro.
Doesnt make sense, but still OK.

Have a good one.
Old 11-15-2005, 01:58 PM
TECH Addict

Its OK not to be a pushrod guy and still own one bro.
Doesnt make sense, but still OK.

Have a good one.
This isn't OHV vs OHC it's about pig headed fools thinking that because they own a V8 all else is inferior.

As for push rods, well my 3 main cars are:

Z28 Ls1
Triumph TR7 V8
Land Rover Discovery 200TDi

They are ALL push rod engines.
Old 11-15-2005, 07:42 PM
11 Second Club

Don't see that personally. They only have 240bhp STOCK from 2.0 litres.

120bhp/litre is quite highly tuned. Even the Race cars used in the lowest level BTCC class only get 270bhp out of the same 2.0 litre block. Stroking the engine will probably help low rpm torque but it probably woun't like the high rpms as much.

It's not impossible. But anyone who is claiming 250rwhp from a S2000 is either BS'ing or mis-informed. Just like the article posted already in this thread. As no where does it mention HP at the wheels. And ALL manufacture claimed BHP readings are ALWAYS at the flywheel.
As said b4. My friends s2k did 252rwhp with a 2.5lt stroker. He was on the stock EMS, Stock head, 3in exhaust, and a intake. He now has ITBs and AEM EMS. Iam sure his car is around 280-300rwhp. He ran a 13.0 @ 108 with a 2.2 60ft and a shitty tune, the car likes to shut off right now??? He only has 11.5 to 1 C/R He has been thinking about running 15 to 1 C/R. I can bet that car would have over 330rwhp
Old 11-15-2005, 08:44 PM
8 Second Club

Ok Ok lets forget the technicalities. When it comes down to it out of the car dollar for dollar the 4 banger will never out perform the v-8. There maybe some fast 4 bangers with little horse power out there but you have to remember a mini cooper or an Elise weighs much less than an f-body. Also I’d like to point out that the most powerful engines in the world are v-8s making 8000hp+ on funny cars and top fuel.
Old 11-15-2005, 08:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1SpeedAddict
Ok Ok lets forget the technicalities. When it comes down to it out of the car dollar for dollar the 4 banger will never out perform the v-8. There maybe some fast 4 bangers with little horse power out there but you have to remember a mini cooper or an Elise weighs much less than an f-body. Also I’d like to point out that the most powerful engines in the world are v-8s making 8000hp+ on funny cars and top fuel.
that has nothing to do with this thread..the thread was started with this guy doubting that a 300hp n/a 4 cyl exists....it has been proven that it does exit.

also...i think if they developed a top fuel 4cyl for 40/50 years..i'm sure it would be jsut as fast or damn close to it.
Old 11-16-2005, 03:13 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BLACKTURBOS2K
As said b4. My friends s2k did 252rwhp with a 2.5lt stroker. He was on the stock EMS, Stock head, 3in exhaust, and a intake. He now has ITBs and AEM EMS. Iam sure his car is around 280-300rwhp. He ran a 13.0 @ 108 with a 2.2 60ft and a shitty tune, the car likes to shut off right now??? He only has 11.5 to 1 C/R He has been thinking about running 15 to 1 C/R. I can bet that car would have over 330rwhp
There is one thing being over looked. But WHAT HP are you quoting. If it was dervived on a non load bearing dynometer then it will be a false reading. Plus the graph needs to be 'smoothed' to allow for spikes. Then corrected to SAE and Corrected for temp/humidity/altitude and sveral other factors. I'm willing to bet that once every thing is considered so that the number is DIRECTLY comparable to manufactured quoted figures the number would be way less than 252rwhp. I'm not doubting it makes power, but rolling road dyno figures are VERY mis leading and should not be used to directly compare with manufacturer quoted SAE Net figures.
Old 11-16-2005, 03:25 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LS1SpeedAddict
Well V8's are not the ultimate. They just happen to be common place in the US, which means they are often ultilsed.

If you ketp the same bore and stroke for each cylinder as your 8000bhp top fulers but had 12 or 16 cylinders instead you WOULD produce significantly more power. At the end of the day the there is only a so big of a bang you can produce in a cylinder, once this limit is reached the only option is to add more cylinders.

And no top fuelers are not the most powerful engine. Solid state rocket engines would probably take that honour, then liquid rockets and Jets (of course there are such things as plasma and ion drives too, but I've never known of such an engine being fitted to a car, lol). And there are also some pretty darn impressive marine diesel engines too.

But I do know what you where saying though.

Originally Posted by BrandonDrecksage
also...i think if they developed a top fuel 4cyl for 40/50 years..i'm sure it would be jsut as fast or damn close to it.
it may be as fast, but that would be due to power to weight, not in outright BHP terms.

Think about it, if one cylinder represents 1 person.

4 people can not lift as much as 8 people all things being equal.

However, for most push rod engines each individual person is weaker than the individuals for the 4 cylinder. Hence a good 4 cylinder can often acheive near or similar results. If you can get the individuals for the V8 to be as efficent then the 4 cylinder will not stand a chance.
Old 11-16-2005, 04:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Xtnct00WS6
You have an SS and you have a subscription to a sports compact car mag? Interesting...
judging from your posts here, I make you out to a 15 yr old asshat that wants daddy's trans am when he gets his license. your posts are retarded.

omg he subscribes to a import magazine? put him in jail for breaking the law.

altering that qoute to atempt a joke was pathetic. Your ignorance of 4 cylinders is beyond belief, I would call you a ricer first before your honda buddy. You sound like a whining girl with her panties in a bunch.

Calling that one guys 91 Olds almost a ricer and saying why he spent SOO MUCH (~1800) for over 300whp in a 4cyl was the worst comeback in the history of this forum.

lastly,

end yourself
Old 11-16-2005, 09:11 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FOr the record, im prolly still a tad under 300 whp and i spent way more than the guy with the 91 olds. Hell, in a 5.0 its DIFFICULT to hit 300whp without juice for under 2K unless you get a helluva deal on used parts. and 5.0's are VERY easy to mod.
Old 11-16-2005, 04:03 PM
Launching!

whats the best 4cyl out there to mod?
import or dom? The Ecotech is built well, but as japanese brands go, im clueless.
just curious
Old 11-16-2005, 05:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well V8's are not the ultimate. They just happen to be common place in the US, which means they are often ultilsed.

If you ketp the same bore and stroke for each cylinder as your 8000bhp top fulers but had 12 or 16 cylinders instead you WOULD produce significantly more power. At the end of the day the there is only a so big of a bang you can produce in a cylinder, once this limit is reached the only option is to add more cylinders.

And no top fuelers are not the most powerful engine. Solid state rocket engines would probably take that honour, then liquid rockets and Jets (of course there are such things as plasma and ion drives too, but I've never known of such an engine being fitted to a car, lol). And there are also some pretty darn impressive marine diesel engines too.

But I do know what you where saying though.

it may be as fast, but that would be due to power to weight, not in outright BHP terms.

Think about it, if one cylinder represents 1 person.

4 people can not lift as much as 8 people all things being equal.

However, for most push rod engines each individual person is weaker than the individuals for the 4 cylinder. Hence a good 4 cylinder can often acheive near or similar results. If you can get the individuals for the V8 to be as efficent then the 4 cylinder will not stand a chance.
Let me summarize that for you: THERE IS NO REPLACEMENT FOR DISPLACEMENT. It's funny how you make fun of someone else for saying that, then you spend a whole page re-wording it exactly.
Old 11-18-2005, 04:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Red Cell
whats the best 4cyl out there to mod?
import or dom? The Ecotech is built well, but as japanese brands go, im clueless.
just curious
Honda's K-series may well be the 4 cylinder to build for n/a applications.

Quick Reply: I hate Ricers! 300 horsepower naturally aspirated 4cyl...yeah right!