Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

sti wants to race

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2005 | 02:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

not stealing your thread but I just rolled a Wrx that didnt have a spoiler, or exhaust but had all blacked out windows and the blow off valve was apprent he threw a rev at me while i was pulling out of a parking lot and next light it was on..from a roll we started in 1st and then hit it! I chirped 2nd and pulled from there by the time i got too 3rd i heard him grind 3rd lol then finally found his gear by that time he was 4 lenghts then i slowed. Over all he never pulled or stop me from pulling..i was up a car or more but good luck and keep greasy side down
Old 01-06-2006 | 04:33 PM
Teching In

not to leave yall hanging or anything, but the race never happened. he backed out for some reason or another. Just gives time to get header and whatnot.
Old 01-06-2006 | 05:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

if he backed down this time I can't iamgine hearing your car with headers will encourage him to schedule another race.
Old 01-06-2006 | 08:59 PM
Launching!

I raced one back in my bolt on days, and here is exactly what happend.

This was at the track...

Off the line he jumped a car on me, at the then I seemd to catch him pretty quickly and was side by side, and he started falling back at the end of the 1/4 I beat him by 2-3 cars. If your running about 1/8 distance you might loose... a little over that you might stand a chance.

Of course this was like 2 years ago so thier probably faster now, and I have an LT1 so I don't put down what you put down. It should be a fun race. If you have a manual. What ever you do make sure you drop those 10inch anchors out your trunk first.

Last edited by Heatmaker; 01-06-2006 at 09:05 PM.
Old 01-07-2006 | 12:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

I have run spirited on the street maybe 4 times in 3 years...just too dangerous in most cases, IMO. However, one evening this past summer, I'm drving home from the golf course (maybe my poor shot making gave me an attitude that night). It's about an half hour before dark, almost home, and I pull up to a three lane wide intersection, turning left. In the right lane is this little blue STi. I make my left, and he turns left from the 3rd lane to follow. Hmmmm....

Now I'm thinking: I've heard these are pretty quick little cars, but never played with any. He catches up, as I am still in the left lane (two lane road). He passes on the right and blips the throttle, I blip back, then he continues past. So I decide that I better let him know this is one evening that I will play (dayum golf game...). I drop down a gear and make a quick manuever into the right lane on his tail, as I need to turn right ahead. He makes the same right, but moves immediately to the left lane (another two lane road) and 'waits' for me.

We are rolling about 10-15. I have mine in first, blip a couple of times, and he makes his move. I nail it, starting to drift left from tire spin, catch traction, hit 5500rpm, nail 2nd, drift to the left again, catch traction again, then drift down after topping 5000rpm. Needless to say, being 2 cars ahead of him, I was able to make my move to the left while ramping up the tach in 2nd, so I could catch my next turn. The guy was cool, we're both thumbs up as we part.

STi's are nice little rides. Not my flavor, but they demand respect.

FWIW: My SS dyno'ed 320/340 w/ 4.10's in Fremont, CA in mid 2004 with 52k miles. This little play time was in Reno, NV at 4500' asl (above sea level) with about 62k miles.
Old 01-07-2006 | 01:47 AM
Teching In

Wtf is up with all these what if questions? I mean personally if Im gonna race someone I just ******* do it. I dont worry about who will win or lose. There only one way to find out and thats by doing it. Sorry, I just hate reading these posts and prefer to read the ones that involve an actual kill.
Old 01-07-2006 | 06:54 AM
On The Tree

I easily destroyed all the stock STI's I raced at the track or on the Highay when I was bone stock...

At the track it was always the same thing...

They put 2-3 car lengths on me till around 60 mph...
Then I would slingshot by them like they were standing still..

I'd run a 13.5-13.7 at 101-103 mph..
Theyed run a 13.8-14.0 at 98-100 mph

On the freeway from a 70 mph roll I would EASILY pull them by multiple car lenghts...

Now before anyone starts saying how STI's can run 13.1's at 103 mph and all that crap....

THEY DONT AT MY TRACK...

2002 Z06'S RUN 12.9-13.1 AT MY TRACK HERE IN HAWAII. AND YES THOSE ARE THE GOOD DRIVERS.

So from my personal experience it would take a good amount of modding for an STI to hang with an Fbody on the freeway...

From a dig thats very different...

At the track the Fbodies were running 13.6-13.9 (depending if mn6 or A4)
So thats not to far ahead of the STI's 13.8-14.0 NEways...

So race him from a 70 mph roll and see why the STI's top out at ONLY 145 mph
Old 01-07-2006 | 07:00 AM
Board Certified Idiot

I am sure he would Race HIm even if he Knew he would Lose. Ppl come on the site to Relax have some fun. At the same time Get Heads Up & usefull information.That is what the site is here for.. I dont see anyitng wrong with asking anyting.
Old 01-08-2006 | 12:03 PM
Teching In

i drove in the car with him on the dallas north tollway, from beltline to frankford and he hit 160 and then backed off. its a fun car, but he sucks at shifting, my neck is kinda sore from it.
Old 01-08-2006 | 01:47 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by st7lpsv01
not to leave yall hanging or anything, but the race never happened. he backed out for some reason or another. Just gives time to get header and whatnot.

No sweat, thanks for letting us know.

FWIW, I'd say hes at about 340ish crank with those mods if hes running that 17 psi or so. A nice rule (that you should not count on too much) is that for cars in this displacement range, each PSI increase in boost is worth about 10hp. Obviously its a hell of a lot more complex than that, but there you go.

So at those power levels, he has similar WHP to you in theory. Should be great if you get your headers on and run him
Old 01-08-2006 | 08:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I ran my buddies Axis Motorsports Tuned STI, it has a UTEC and a TurboXs turbo back exhaust. He put down just a little over 270AWHP on a Dyno Dynamics dyno, which is roughly 300awhp on a Dynojet.

Out the hole he ripped me a new one, but by the top of 2nd I reeled him in and walked past him.