Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Cool old guy in a '57 Chevy

Old 01-07-2006, 08:36 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cool old guy in a '57 Chevy

Ok, I know by some people's standards I am a senior citizen at 36 , but this guy had to be mid 50's

Last night I was hanging out with 11SECSS working on my new daily driver project (1996 T-bird sport), and we needed some more parts, so we jumped in the Z28 and headed down 17 to Advance. As we pulled out I saw a decent looking '57 Chevy 2 door heading out of the otherside of the parking lot, I only got a quick glimpse, but I love those cars and immediately recognized it. I pulled back out onto 17 and the Chevy was sitting at the stoplight. I slowed down so I could let the car catch up, I just wanted to see how it looked. The car was not perfect, but solid, gold with a white top, a little wavy down the side, some old style mags and fuel injection flags on the fenders. The guy driving might've been the original owner. :grin: We caught the next light red and I got a good look at the car. When the light turned I accelerated briskly, then all of the sudden the old Chevy floored it! i was suprised that he'd run that car. I jumped it hard and stayed in front, but not by much! He had traffic coming in his lane, and backed off. We got around the car and he caught back up beside me, then I heard him down shift it So I popped into 3rd and floored it, he took off again, but only dropped back 3 cars or so. I ran up to about 80 and he hung in, then I noticed traffic in my lane so I hit the brakes and slowed back to 55. I rolled up on the car in my lane and it was a County Sheriff. Then my radar detector started going crazy as the '57 rolled past the cop. He had to see us running, unless he was asleep, but he let us go.

It made my night to see that classic iron out there still running like that. Sort of a kill story, but more of a tribute to the hot-rodding spirit that never dies. It was my first time running against a '57, I'll never forget it!

Last edited by black02-z28; 01-07-2006 at 10:36 AM.
Old 01-07-2006, 08:48 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Man........I love to hear stories like that (well without the cop scare). Maybe you'll run into him again & can chat a bit about the '57.
Old 01-11-2006, 01:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Good kill, 45 years of Chevrolet muscle going at it.
Old 01-11-2006, 09:12 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by black02-z28
Ok, I know by some people's standards I am a senior citizen at 36 , but this guy had to be mid 50's

Last night I was hanging out with 11SECSS working on my new daily driver project (1996 T-bird sport), and we needed some more parts, so we jumped in the Z28 and headed down 17 to Advance. As we pulled out I saw a decent looking '57 Chevy 2 door heading out of the otherside of the parking lot, I only got a quick glimpse, but I love those cars and immediately recognized it. I pulled back out onto 17 and the Chevy was sitting at the stoplight. I slowed down so I could let the car catch up, I just wanted to see how it looked. The car was not perfect, but solid, gold with a white top, a little wavy down the side, some old style mags and fuel injection flags on the fenders. The guy driving might've been the original owner. :grin: We caught the next light red and I got a good look at the car. When the light turned I accelerated briskly, then all of the sudden the old Chevy floored it! i was suprised that he'd run that car. I jumped it hard and stayed in front, but not by much! He had traffic coming in his lane, and backed off. We got around the car and he caught back up beside me, then I heard him down shift it So I popped into 3rd and floored it, he took off again, but only dropped back 3 cars or so. I ran up to about 80 and he hung in, then I noticed traffic in my lane so I hit the brakes and slowed back to 55. I rolled up on the car in my lane and it was a County Sheriff. Then my radar detector started going crazy as the '57 rolled past the cop. He had to see us running, unless he was asleep, but he let us go.

It made my night to see that classic iron out there still running like that. Sort of a kill story, but more of a tribute to the hot-rodding spirit that never dies. It was my first time running against a '57, I'll never forget it!
Nice story, sounded like fun. If he was the original owner, that would make him older than mid 50s. Possibly his Dad's car?
Old 01-11-2006, 11:45 AM
TECH Regular

I love old muscle. There's a Studebaker, slammed, black paint, gold trim, BBC with a 300 shot on it up here puttin' down 800+ that drives around. Absolutely GORGEOUS ride, 24 karat trim everywhere including the engine. Wears plates that say "Mr Tude" on it. Ya never know whatcha gonna get with the old ones, unless ya see or hear that 10-71.

Search this Thread