Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Talon TSI vs. Sleeper Z28

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2006, 10:07 PM
9 Second Club

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Stanger88
Hey, should I put neons on the 5.0? Seriously guys, should I??? (all bullshit aside)?

LoL.. well if your car lobes hard.... you can't really pull off the sleeper look.. no matter how many neons you put on it.. lol.. but i would... throw people foir a loop
Old 04-04-2006, 03:10 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Heatmaker
you have a 13sec car, that makes as much power as a hair dryer... and your baffled that this LS1 pulled Uhaul lenghs on you???? I'm willing to bet it was a V6 eve nat this point.
Why are you always such a **********?

Here's the deal ************; I wanted to know why this z28 seemed 1.5-2 seconds faster in a matter of 2 weeks, not WHY DID HE BEAT ME

And I'm guessing your car came from the factory running 12's or faster, always ahead of those 13 sec hairdryers, huh? (I know it's possible to run 12's stock on the ls1 but it's DEF not common).
Well either way, here's a big just for you douchebag.

BTW, My dick is bigger than yours,
plus my dad can beat up your dad.
All in all, just STFU if you have nothing helpful to contribute.
Old 04-04-2006, 03:13 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by NightRider_13
Same question I was about to ask...
First time you were in 3rd gear at 80, second time you were in 3rd gear at 30.....how bad was your car boggin down when you took off the 2nd time.......not smart man.
My bad it was a brain fart, I was going 30 in 3rd when i saw him in my mirror, we should've been close to 60 when we started as my rpm's were above 5500.
Old 04-04-2006, 04:22 PM
TECH Regular

you have a 13sec car, that makes as much power as a hair dryer... and your baffled that this LS1 pulled Uhaul lenghs on you???? I'm willing to bet it was a V6 eve nat this point.

This from a guy that drives an LT-1?
Old 04-04-2006, 06:50 PM
Launching!

Interesting. This is the GST (FWD) right? So to run low 13s you are trapping at least as much as a stock LS1, considering they will have a much better 60 than you most of the time. So in a roll race you should be in your element. And for those who think AWD suddenly negates all acceleration above 3rd gear, he is at a bout 12% driveline loss as a general rule.

So I think what Stanger88 said is likely. The guy may well be a cam only car or full bolt ons. With that kind of starting rpm disadvantage on the street the outcome makes sense.
Old 04-04-2006, 07:26 PM
Banned

laffo
Old 04-04-2006, 07:32 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by XakEp
laffo
Old 04-04-2006, 07:51 PM
9 Second Club

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by CharlieCobra03

whoa whoa whoa dood wtf... are you out of your mind? get the **** off this site.

Try to be better than him, not jsut as ignorant...
Old 04-04-2006, 10:08 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Dragframe
whoa whoa whoa dood wtf... are you out of your mind? get the **** off this site.

Try to be better than him, not jsut as ignorant...

Old 04-04-2006, 10:17 PM
Launching!

I see why I rarely visit this site anymore... honestly im too old to be arguing with kids. The only place you ricers are winning is on the interent. As for the Lt1 comment why dont you go race a few and find out what they can do. Any car that can make over 400hp with heads and a cam and has a 30 year old history of whipping *** in my book gets my vote... just who admires Dsm's again? broke teenagers with dreams of beating muscle cars? ill see you ******* at the track.

It really amuses me that the writer if this thread is amazed that his cheap shitbox tinker toy coulnd't keep up with a V8 Performance car that was probably stock.
Old 04-04-2006, 10:30 PM
Launching!

congratulations on the loss, boosted dsm's can be some nasty cars. we have lots around where i live in the 11's and 12's.

as for the camaro, either he has some bolt-ons (380whp) and didnt try the first time, or he's on the bottle.
Old 04-05-2006, 02:11 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Heatmaker you are a **** buddy!
I have an modded up lt1, twin turbo shortly LS1, very modded up almost completed 97 talon awd turbo and even have an 80 ta with big 400 pontiac and a 91 fwd turbo laser.
I think I know a bit about the dsms and the f bodies having owned f bodies since my smokey and the bandit 400 ta in 1978.
First the dsm guy is not being clear about his mods if any and if he is fwd or awd. AWD dsms will crush most any car that isn't also awd or on drag tires off the line and should be able to put three of four car lengths on them right away. More if the v8 spins them completely off. FWD dsm are not that great off the line on street tires.
Fwd are faster rolling than awd usually,The fwd are light..2700 pounds ,awd are more like 3100 about the weight of a new z06!
So the losses from the awd is offset a bit by the lighter weight.
Anyway a bone stock dsm is no match for an ls1 even bone stock. Best my 97 awd could do bone 100% stock meaning stock factory boost was around a 15.3. My 92 that I had awd turbo could do about a high 14 bone stock boost.
Now they are easy to take up 5 or so psi. That brings them closer to stock lt1s and still not enough to touch stock ls1s.
Do some mods like fuel pump and 17psi or so on stock turbo makes them closer to stock ls1s. You can run race gas or make your own but that is not that practical on the street. You can use big intercoolers and water/alco injection those methods can let you run more boost on pump gas.
The catch here is that dsm are super easy and pretty cheap to mod up to some serious power levels.
400 or so engine hp can be had for maybe 2000 US or so. 500 engine hp for maybe 3000 US. I can give recipes.
Been there already. A car like my current 97 talon will have more like 10,000 US pumped into it but should be able to do easy 500 engine hp on pump gas..same hp as z06 and about same weight. Not bad for a 4 banger and the motors are pretty tough.Clutches are wimply..trannys can be problem area at bigger power.
But ls1 similar..our auto trannis are pretty crappy,rear ends are a joke..
Engines are good.
I wouldn't lump the dsm cars into the ricer category ,not the turbo ones. A ricer car to me is a decal car with air induction tube and loud exhaust. A dsm is decently fast out of the box. My stock laser turbo fwd was supposed to do 14.4 bone stock at like 96mph.About same times as auto lt1 stock.Not bad time really.

And most of the time would put the money on the ls1 car as they have 350 or so engine hp to start with. The dsm have only around 200 stock but as said are lighter by a fairly good amount over the f body cars.
Old 04-05-2006, 02:14 AM
Teching In

I see why I rarely visit this site anymore... honestly im too old to be arguing with kids. The only place you ricers are winning is on the interent. As for the Lt1 comment why dont you go race a few and find out what they can do. Any car that can make over 400hp with heads and a cam and has a 30 year old history of whipping *** in my book gets my vote... just who admires Dsm's again? broke teenagers with dreams of beating muscle cars? ill see you ******* at the track.

It really amuses me that the writer if this thread is amazed that his cheap shitbox tinker toy coulnd't keep up with a V8 Performance car that was probably stock.
It's always a thrill running people like you at the track. They never really know what hit them. Take care buddy.
Old 04-05-2006, 09:21 AM
Banned

Yeah, because import enthusiasts are always kids. Nevermind the fact that I'm 30.

Dont let the door hit you on your *** on the way out.
Old 04-05-2006, 09:37 AM
Teching In

Hey man nice death...maybe he was stock first time and modded up alil before yall raced again....well atleast ya can beat my car
Old 04-05-2006, 09:51 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by CharlieCobra03
?

A LT1 can be made fast too once there's heads and a cam involved.
Old 04-05-2006, 11:11 AM
TECH Regular

Yeah, yeah. Sorry about the LT-1 comments guys, I've owned a couple of decent ones myself. The guy just p!ssed me off on a bad day. I had a DSM that was fairly quick and some of the best races I had in my Cobra was against nicely modded DSM's. Don't discount the power of a modded anything these days with all of the aftermarket stuff available. Yes, I still like DSM's, don't like the lack of reliability and no, I ain't a teenybopper, far from it. Been doing this hotrod crap over 30 years now.
Old 04-05-2006, 03:29 PM
Teching In

Thanks guys, I've raced plenty of lsx's, but never one like this(at least the 2nd time). To clear this up,I was in the talon(AWD) and went from a roll, as we were on highways both times. My mods were evo III 16g turbo, full 3 inch exhaust, and MBC set at 15lbs. Also, i was logging my car during both races, and it was running well both times.
Old 04-05-2006, 03:33 PM
Teching In

Heatmaker, I'm trying to be civil now, I just wanna know what your problem is with dsm's, and why do u think everybody is a ricer? No really, I think U have a ricer complex cause it gets brought up in almost every thread of yours that I've seen.
Old 04-05-2006, 03:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok thats a lot clearer now..evo 16 is a great turbo and you have some support mods there but you were only running 15.Seems pretty low.If you have good fuel support and decent intercooler and or water/alco injection should be able to get that up a fair bit.And of course tuning and all that comes into play.
I would think an evo turboed dsm would be a good match on pump for a near stock or lightly modded up ls1.An evo on race would be a good match for a pretty highly modded up ls1.
And altitude can play a role.Any NA car does much worse at altitude.Buddies 420 dynoed rwp SS hasn't cracked 11s at our 1700 feet with around 2.0 60fts on nittos. He has hit like 12.1 so with a better 60ft on stay et streets should be doable pretty easy but he is on stock rearend and we know all about those.The talons do have so so trannies under big power,the 90 to mid 92 had the crappier 3 bolt rears in the awd and the 92 on have the much stronger 4 bolt rear. My 92 was highly modded and broke nothing at all.Well unless you count the stock clutch..!! LOL But the engine at 280,000km was sound as a pound and the trans and rear end were fine when I sold the car last year.
A lot of breakage is due to doing dumb things..dumbing a high perf clutch,revving way too high ,etc.And you can buy better trannies and stuff but it does cost money. What doesn't right..last time I checked f body rear ends weren't cheap either in 12 bolt form.