Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Talon TSI vs. Sleeper Z28

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 05:25 PM
9 Second Club

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

almosdt any piece of junk on juice or boost will be fun.. lol... power adders can make a 20 sec car run 15 and be as fun to drive as my T/A....

everyone is enthusist and no matter how much they spend to run the times, it dont make you better because you had to spend half the money because you started wiht twice the cylinders.. at least they dont have a Autozone spoiler... ( I would put one on my dsm jsut to throw ya off... jsut like hte neons do.. hehe)
Old 04-05-2006, 06:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragframe
almosdt any piece of junk on juice or boost will be fun.. lol... power adders can make a 20 sec car run 15 and be as fun to drive as my T/A....

everyone is enthusist and no matter how much they spend to run the times, it dont make you better because you had to spend half the money because you started wiht twice the cylinders.. at least they dont have a Autozone spoiler... ( I would put one on my dsm jsut to throw ya off... jsut like hte neons do.. hehe)
Not a bad idea, there's a good chance I'll be called a ricer anyway so why not go all out?

Pep boys wing-$150
5 inch tip on stock exhaust-$7
7 guage pod that's not hooked up-$60
Taking money from people like heatmaker- PRICELESS
Old 04-05-2006, 09:25 PM
Launching!

[QUOTE=MY99TAWS6]Ok thats a lot clearer now..evo 16 is a great turbo and you have some support mods there but you were only running 15.Seems pretty low.If you have good fuel support and decent intercooler and or water/alco injection should be able to get that up a fair bit.And of course tuning and all that comes into play.[QUOTE]

Word. I plan on running mine at about 20psi on the street with my 2.4. At 15psi Boosted, you're not really getting a whole lot from the E3 IMHO. I'm still skeptical, but I see the really fast guys running like 25psi on the E3s, which I will try on race gas. We'll see if it can hold boost to redline though. I did port the ever loving crap out of it, my 2G mani and E3 02 housing. God I love that thing, it makes a joke of the stocker.

Can you log lbs/min airflow? What are you getting at 15psi and average temps/DAs?

Last edited by Sparetire; 04-05-2006 at 09:26 PM. Reason: messed up the quote text....
Old 04-06-2006, 03:19 AM
Teching In

15psi is weak. I run more than that every day and I do have a much bigger turbo. Turn it up to around 20psi. It's a DSM, it likes boost. Back in the day I ran 18psi on the stock 14B daily on pump gas with no issue. It did a respectable 13.0 @ 104mph at that setting.
Old 04-06-2006, 09:54 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by BoOsTeDeAgLe
7 guage pod that's not hooked up-$60
HAHA! That's funny, one of my best friends has a 95 AWD Talon, cool car minus the girly blue lol. But he has a gauge pod that didn't work for the longest time. I love turbo cars, i'd have a DSM but they break to much, my friends been in the shop too much. But he has the same turbo as you, full exhaust, intake, and running around 18psi and I walk him pretty good from a roll. My car is pretty much stock also, he can drive pretty good, but not that good, btw I'm one of those "few" stock LS1's in the 12's. I did it in my camaro, 12.90 @ 110, but that car is gone But nice runs & death, next time get him from a stop!
Old 04-06-2006, 12:06 PM
12 Second Club

Alot of the dsm's I see in Orlando are in the 11's. Good thing theyre in the fast lanes andi m in the street lanes . Even when i'm in the street lanes @ the track they make me somewhat anxious to seeh ow the race will turn out. I know they are mostly turboed but my friend had a 1gen eclipse running high 13's on motor. Nowh e has a 99gsx I believe. Anyhow theyre decent cars along with the lsx's.
Old 04-07-2006, 09:48 AM
Teching In

Yea I know 15psi is pretty weak on our cars, but I've got the stock fuel setup, and I'm not really wanting to go past 17 without race gas.
-I've been wondering, should I be alright with upgrading the pump and injectors for a while, or should i get a fuel pressure reg at the same time?

BTW, good time on the camaro(91vette), a full second into the 12's, was that on stock tires too?
Old 04-07-2006, 09:59 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You should drop in a new pump..supra tt is nice,or walbro..you would need an afpr for the supra or 255 hp walbro. Dont think so for the low pressure 255 or the 190 walbro.As for injectors you need tuning to use them, an ecu chip,maf translator or safc or dsmlink..
With rewired upgrade pump even without injectors you should be fine with premium for 17 or so.Buy I helped with his car is doing 17psi all the time with no problems so far.He has supra tt pump,sx afpr,COP ,3 inch catback and downpipe with no cat.
He has dsm scanmaster and will have maft shortly as well. Then recommended he get a nice front mount and at least some 2g exh man and o2 housing.
15 is safe boost on factory pump. rewired think 16 to 17 is maybe doable.A scanner tool is important though to make sure everything is fine.
Old 04-07-2006, 03:58 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Red91vette
HAHA! That's funny, one of my best friends has a 95 AWD Talon, cool car minus the girly blue lol. But he has a gauge pod that didn't work for the longest time. I love turbo cars, i'd have a DSM but they break to much, my friends been in the shop too much. But he has the same turbo as you, full exhaust, intake, and running around 18psi and I walk him pretty good from a roll. My car is pretty much stock also, he can drive pretty good, but not that good, btw I'm one of those "few" stock LS1's in the 12's. I did it in my camaro, 12.90 @ 110, but that car is gone But nice runs & death, next time get him from a stop!
It's very hard to own a reliable DSM unless you learn almost everything there is to know about the motor, keep up on maintenence, and do the work yourself; I used to put my eclipse in the shop when I first got into these cars, and dumped so much money I could've bought 3 more talons and built them all. Well everytime I got my car out of the shop, it would break within a month, so I got tired of that real quick and started wrenching on it myself. Since then my dsm's have been very reliable because I know the condition of everything on the car.

This obviously works better for any kind of car, but I just don't think your friend is gonna have much luck until he's ready to work on it himself (that also keeps me from beating the ever living **** out of it). That's just my opinion though.

Also, does he have a datalogger? That's one of the best investments you can make on a dsm, it will help keep the motor happy as long as you check on it every so often.
Old 04-07-2006, 07:16 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
...you would need an afpr for the supra or 255 hp walbro. Dont think so for the low pressure 255 or the 190 walbro.As for injectors you need tuning to use them, an ecu chip,maf translator or safc or dsmlink..
Yeah, the popular internet wisdom ( ) says that you need a AFPR for even the regular 255. I am going to try it without it and see. I think your right, I should not need it.

And yeah, I feel the pain of stock fuel system. I will be running my E3 at about 14psi untill injectors and DSM/laptop time. Should be slowest 16G car around for awhile
Old 04-07-2006, 08:27 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Sparetire
Yeah, the popular internet wisdom ( ) says that you need a AFPR for even the regular 255. I am going to try it without it and see. I think your right, I should not need it.

And yeah, I feel the pain of stock fuel system. I will be running my E3 at about 14psi untill injectors and DSM/laptop time. Should be slowest 16G car around for awhile
I don't think it has much to do with internet wisdom, I think it has to do with the fact that people have had tunning issues at idle with any 255 and the stock FPR. Along with this comes the Your Milage Many Vary comment. Just like anything some may have luck with it and other may not, but that doesn't mean it is a internet theory. I really don't see the whole reason to not get an AFPR. For some reason DSM owners think they have to be as cheap as possible or that running a minimal mod list is the coolest thing. For an extra 150.00 to 250.00 dollars you could have a very nice fuel system, but for some reason that last 250.00 or so just won't work it way out of the pockets of many. I think this is the reason why so many DSM are looked at as unreliable. They try to get away with just enough to make it work decent as opposed to doing it the right way the first time.

Just my .02
Old 04-07-2006, 11:53 PM
Staging Lane

Nice death man don't worry about that other guy not every f-body owner is a DICK!! I really have respect for most of the import guys!
T-REX CAM coming SOON