Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

stock vs. Talon?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2006 | 06:44 PM
TECH Regular

Default stock vs. Talon?

A friend of mine just got a mid 90's Talon esi or tsi, whatever. I know that it is 4WD and turbocharged and a 5spd . He also says that he is running full straght pipes(no emmision laws indiana). I dont think any thing else is modded. My Firebird is bone stock and automatic.

I dont think that a race will happen any time soon but if the time arises Who do you think has the advantage?
Old 01-24-2006 | 06:54 PM
Staging Lane

Impossible to tell without knowing all of his mods. If he has only an exhaust he is probably a 14sec car. He will kill you off the line he he can launch but you should reel him in. Now if he has a boost controller and exhaust and any sort of tune you could be looking at a low 13sec car.
Old 01-24-2006 | 07:02 PM
Teching In

you, stock 2nd gen tsi AWD should pull high 14s at best. You should be low 14s Id imagine, so Id give it to you.

.. only one way to find out
Old 01-24-2006 | 10:43 PM
Launching!

as much as I hate DSM's I must say it's any mans race.
Old 01-24-2006 | 10:52 PM
Launching!

Default re:

You would win. Even if he gets you off the line, you will have more top end. Top-end isnt the Tsi's specialty. Good luck with the race.
Old 01-24-2006 | 11:13 PM
Staging Lane

Drivers race IMO....if you blow the launch he'll win.
Old 01-25-2006 | 06:43 AM
Teching In

Learn To Launch And I Give It To You!!!!
Old 01-25-2006 | 11:05 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by oifish
A friend of mine just got a mid 90's Talon esi or tsi, whatever. I know that it is 4WD and turbocharged and a 5spd . He also says that he is running full straght pipes(no emmision laws indiana). I dont think any thing else is modded. My Firebird is bone stock and automatic.

I dont think that a race will happen any time soon but if the time arises Who do you think has the advantage?
Assuming you both know how to drive I give it to him by a very narrow margin.
Old 01-25-2006 | 02:06 PM
TECH Regular

alright sound like it would be a close one, those are always the best.
Old 01-25-2006 | 09:30 PM
Launching!

I'm sorry to inform all you, a stock talon with turbo back exhaust, boost controller and a filter with a good driver and a clutch will run high 12's.
Old 01-25-2006 | 09:40 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by steveb
I'm sorry to inform all you, a stock talon with turbo back exhaust, boost controller and a filter with a good driver and a clutch will run high 12's... of course this is all in Ricer Theory of course

I"ve only seen DSM's will those following mods will break into the 13's at best at the track... I'll leave it at that.
Old 01-25-2006 | 09:48 PM
Launching!

Then you should buy one, I have two cars one of witch is a 4 door that runs 12.87@104. Like i said if he can drive your done. I have been building these cars for 10 years and i'm pretty shure i know them better than you. This is exacty the **** i hate about forums, there is always a guy that know everything and know nothing. No offence to you i get the same **** on the import sites. And if you are in the MA or RI i would be more than happy to show you. Thanks Steve
Old 01-25-2006 | 11:18 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by steveb
Then you should buy one, I have two cars one of witch is a 4 door that runs 12.87@104. Like i said if he can drive your done. I have been building these cars for 10 years and i'm pretty shure i know them better than you. This is exacty the **** i hate about forums, there is always a guy that know everything and know nothing. No offence to you i get the same **** on the import sites. And if you are in the MA or RI i would be more than happy to show you. Thanks Steve

Here's a clue... your Junk box's aren't the only ones in the world. I know of guys who run those setups, and have gone far beyond that, and they didn't break into the 12's with just those modes. how does a 15sec car lose 2 seconds with just a bosot controller and an exhaust system? I could care less what Revell models you've built. 13's are credible.... but 12's I think you need a bit more than that. Go stick to your match boxes kid... don't tell me what I know, when you've never met me. THis also doesn't incude the DSM's I've slaughter when my Z actually ran 14's still. Stock those cars make about 190/210 hp/tq stock @ 6XXX rpm.... just how do those mods add the additional 75-100hp needed to generate those times. At most I"ll give you 230hp and 240 tq with those modifications, and that is being reasonable. Even the mighty Evo's with thier modern technology don't break 12's so easily even with thier superior performance oh 285hp... so how is a 15 year old car surpasing that? There's a reason people disagree with you on forums when you write that mess, and that's because it's BULLSHIT! and bullshit doesn't go down easy casue it's hard to swallow. Like everything on this site... I'll believe what you say when I've seen it, but I haven't seen it yet so....

Last edited by Heatmaker; 01-26-2006 at 12:07 AM.
Old 01-26-2006 | 01:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Eagle? what the **** ever happend to that car company? i know they made the vision and the talon, i guess no one must of bought there cars.
Old 01-26-2006 | 04:54 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Heatmaker
as much as I hate DSM's I must say it's any mans race.

Originally Posted by Formula_X
Top-end isnt the Tsi's specialty. Good luck with the race.

Here's a clue... your Junk box's aren't the only ones in the world. I know of guys who run those setups, and have gone far beyond that, and they didn't break into the 12's with just those modes. how does a 15sec car lose 2 seconds with just a bosot controller and an exhaust system? I could care less what Revell models you've built. 13's are credible.... but 12's I think you need a bit more than that. Go stick to your match boxes kid... don't tell me what I know, when you've never met me. THis also doesn't incude the DSM's I've slaughter when my Z actually ran 14's still. Stock those cars make about 190/210 hp/tq stock @ 6XXX rpm.... just how do those mods add the additional 75-100hp needed to generate those times. At most I"ll give you 230hp and 240 tq with those modifications, and that is being reasonable. Even the mighty Evo's with thier modern technology don't break 12's so easily even with thier superior performance oh 285hp... so how is a 15 year old car surpasing that? There's a reason people disagree with you on forums when you write that mess, and that's because it's BULLSHIT! and bullshit doesn't go down easy casue it's hard to swallow. Like everything on this site... I'll believe what you say when I've seen it, but I haven't seen it yet so....
A few points. Don't compare the stock output of a stock AWD TSi Talon (195HP) to that of a stock EVO (275HP) and automatically say that the EVO is "better technology" from that. EVO makes more power stock, no question, why?

1. It has a much bigger turbo (16G) than the Talon's stock 14B.
2. Related to (1) above: Adding to the bigger turbo advantage the EVO has, it runs more boost stock (19psi) compared to the Talon's 14B (10-11psi.) That by itself can make up for the HP discrepancy.

This is important to my argument here to follow. Yes, there are countless of people who have run 12's and low 13's with pretty much a MBC and free mods. Turning up that 14B to 19psi (like the EVOs setting) and some race gas can easily give it 100HP to the crank. Seriously, it truely wakes up. I know of a local kid who ran 13.0's at 101mph in his Laser AWD with ONLY a boost controller and dropping the DP. I **** you not. It can be done.

I tip the advantage to the Talon if he can launch. If he's running around 17psi, his top end should be right there with the LT1. So the holeshot pretty much seals the win. But again, on the street, anything can happen. If they race with both cars bone stock, the TA will win no doubt.
Old 01-26-2006 | 07:52 AM
Launching!

It might be able to be done, just like the guys who have tapped 12's in thier stock LS1's, but it's not the standard for all DSM's. The post was fine and accurate before, till this guy came and started claiming it's a 12sec monster.
Old 01-26-2006 | 09:44 AM
Teching In

hey diambo4life, thats a clean 1g. i agree with your opinion on the specs of the dsm. i have a 92 tsi awd and plan on breaking into the 12's this saturday. although i have more than just a mbc and dp. i beleive chrysler bought out eagle back in the day.
Old 01-26-2006 | 02:53 PM
Banned

It might be able to be done, just like the guys who have tapped 12's in thier stock LS1's, but it's not the standard for all DSM's. The post was fine and accurate before, till this guy came and started claiming it's a 12sec monster.
It happens on a regular basis - assuming the person behind the wheel isnt high or drunk and knows how to tune.

Put an idiot behind the wheel of any car and it'll go slow. This is hardly an import only problem. Head on down south anytime you'd like to see what I'm talking about.
Old 01-26-2006 | 06:23 PM
Launching!

There are guys who have broken 11s on a 14B.
There are 50 trims running high 12s.
There are 15 second LT1s.
There are 12 second LT1s.
And the diff is not really in the mods, its in the maitenance and the driver and the condiditions.

Saying that a "few mods" will run 12s on a DSM is a bit oversimplified. You could drop the exsaust, run race gas, rewire the fuel pump, run 18 psi, spray down your IC before the run, gut the car, launch the living crap out of it, and yea, likely run 12s with nothing more than an MBC and gage. Thats about $100. Its also not going to happen on the street or even on the track all that often.

With DSMs more perhaps than any other car, a great great deal depends on the owner. If this guys has leaky intake work, improperly gapped plugs, no free mods, boost creep from the exsaust leading to fuel cut, a misadjusted clutch, etc, etc, then that car is slow.

If he has it maintained, if he knows how to drive, then this will be truly a great race, kinda flashback to the mid 90s. Very very cool. Might help some people to understand why DSMs have made the impact they have.

Assuming both cars in great shape, on a 1320ft race, on the typical street crap traction conditions, I bet on him by a hair. On the track, I really dont know. Good tires on yours? You are positive he does not have a MBC (manual boost ontroller)? I have seen nobody save me who is running stock boost with full exsaust. Ever.

To check this just pop the hood (I am talking about a 1st gen here, also known as the ugly one). Look at the valve cover. Now look between the valve cover and the radiator. You are looking at the covers over the ex mani and the turbo. They are grey. Look a lil' left and you will actually see the compressor (intake) side of the turbo. Should be silvery color. Bolted to it is this little cylinder, usually yellowish. Its not really hidden or anything. Theres a little vac line running to it, and a metal rod running out of it, back underneath the cover over the exsaust side of the turbo. (This cylinder is the wastegate actuator, if you care) Follow this vac line from the lil yellowy thing. It should run strait to the intake plumbing right after the turbo, on a little pipe shaped kinda like a "J" (its a black pipe). If there is a little valve type thing in this line, or a zip tie on this line, or even a small hole poked in this line, then he is running higher than the stock 11 psi.
Old 01-27-2006 | 08:52 AM
Teching In

Whenever the race comes, just have fun. You win some, you lose some; it's the fun in modding and racing your car. By the way, where are you located in Indiana?