Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

The yellow vette went down.

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2006, 09:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Stanger88
A better driver, lol, seriously though, the Vette weights a couple hundred # less and makes 10-15rwhp less b/c IRS. I would say that a good set of 3.73's and a lid/cat-back should do it.

gears and a lid please.

Your best bet, is a shitty driver behind the wheel of the vette.

I've raced cars with full bolt ons and K members and didn't get beat when my car was stock. It's all about the driver,
Old 02-07-2006, 11:14 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by V-seriesTech
gears and a lid please.

Your best bet, is a shitty driver behind the wheel of the vette.

I've raced cars with full bolt ons and K members and didn't get beat when my car was stock. It's all about the driver,
I agree, I have raced quite a few modded T/As when all I had was a CAI. And, I smoked most of them pretty bad from a roll with traction control on( I just got the car). The only one that kept up with me was one that had full boltons. I also raced a firehawk from a stop that had an intake,exhaust and 315 tires. I pulled 2 cars by the end of second on it. People that say stock F-body's are faster than stock M6 C5 coupes or FRC are dreaming.

Last edited by Cgillies86; 02-07-2006 at 11:58 AM.
Old 02-07-2006, 02:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Cgillies86
I agree, I have raced quite a few modded T/As when all I had was a CAI. And, I smoked most of them pretty bad from a roll with traction control on( I just got the car). The only one that kept up with me was one that had full boltons. I also raced a firehawk from a stop that had an intake,exhaust and 315 tires. I pulled 2 cars by the end of second on it. People that say stock F-body's are faster than stock M6 C5 coupes or FRC are dreaming.
Couldn't have said it better myself. Some people are funny.
Old 02-07-2006, 02:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If everyone is seeing these vettes getting beat by stock f-bodies,...then there's alot of people that have no buisness behind the wheel of one.

It's simple math man. Power to weight. whatever you wanna call it.

Oh yeah,... I wanna borrow the falcon in your sig blackmagic.
Old 02-07-2006, 07:30 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Cgillies86

kinda makes me wish i had an m6
Old 02-07-2006, 07:36 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Slow Vette
kinda makes me wish i had an m6
It looks like you have a pretty healthy car running 13.14 @ 106 stock, thats pretty damn good for a stock 2.73 vette if you ask me.
Old 02-07-2006, 08:36 PM
On The Tree

Yea I agree with you guys whole heartedly...Before I got my vette I drove a V6 1998 camaro...

I was always on the V6 camaro boards and to us the SS LS1 Camaro was the fastest car in the world ( come on where driving v6 camaros so dreaming of vettes was out of the question...A SS camaro seemed like a more realistic goal to own)

So my financial situation keeps getting better and I decide to buy a white C5 brand new off the show room floor..

Not even 2 weeks after I get the Vette Im cruising on the freeway doing 70 mph when a white LS1 SS camaro pulls up beside me and revs his engine..

He then floors it and gets a 1-2 car lead on me...By 100 mph Im beside him and by 120 mph Ive got 2 cars on him....

It was at this moment that I realized all the guys on my V6 camaro boards were wrong about the SS camaro....I had just owned one in my stock 2.73 geared vette..

Then at the track I quickly saw that my 13.5 was 3 tenths faster than the bone stock times of 13.8 for the 2.73 geared camaros....

There is a bone stock MN6 firebird that has ran a best of 13.5 at my track..All the other Fbodies are in the 13.6-13.8 range...

If my 2.73 geared C5 can beat a SS camaro on the free way bone stock...Or match and beat all the bone stock ET's from the Fbodies...

IMAGINE IF I HAD 3.15 GEARS OR AN MN6..EVEN WORSE IF I HAD AN FRC!!!!!!

But I always here how F body guys say that the camaro is faster or dynos higher......I JUST LAUGH...THEY BLOW IT SO OUT OF POPORTUTIN....

Theres only a 5 rwhp differance between the dyno numbers..Strong LS1 vette dynos 305...Strong LS1 camaro dynos 310...

The differance is that there are 10 times more fbodies dynoed and ran at the track than c5's....So they can pick and choose there highest dyno numbers and strongest ET's..To try and make it seem like the cars are equal...

When I dynoed my a4 C5 and pulled 299 rwhp, the shop told me that 299 was higher than most of the stock a4 f bodies dyno...
BUT THEY WILL STILL TRY TO SAY A F BODY DYNOS 10-15 RWHP HIGHER THAN C5'S. HA HA HA HA HA HA..

And then the Fbody guys continually try to say that there car weighs 3300-3450 pounds....

The c5 really weighs 3200-3300 pounds..typical is around 3260...
Yea we can go weigh in with a 1/8 tank of gas as well and swear that all C5's weigh 3100 pounds....

F bodies really weigh 3500-3600 pounds with a full tank of gas...C5's really weigh 3200-3300 pounds with a full tank of gas..

So yea compared to a FRC or Z06 there is a 400 pound weight differance. but compared to a coupe there is a 300 pound weight differance...

Then to top it off add in the fact that the coefficient drag of the C5 is .29...While it's .34 for the fbody....

EVEN IF THERE REALLY WAS A 15 RWHP ADVANTAGE FOR THE F BODY ON THE DYNO LIKE SOME F BODY GUYS TRY TO SAY...

15 RWHP IS NOT ENOUGH TO CLOSE THE GAP OF 300-400 POUNDS AND A .5 COEFFCIENT DRAG ADVANTAGE FOR THE C5..

But on the other hand I still have a soft spot for the camaro. especialy the SS...That white SS camaro owner probaly spent 1/2 as much as I did and he was defiently a close match...
Old 02-07-2006, 08:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

And people say f-body owners are cocky....
Old 02-07-2006, 09:06 PM
On The Tree

I think all LSx drivers have the right to be cocky man....Us vette owners just take more heat for it cas were labeled as rich old snobs or what ever...

I just find that so hilarious...Since when is a 45000$ (base coupe)-60000$(fully optioned convertable) considered a rich mans car?????

To me The 50 somthen grand I spent on this car is a low amount of money compared to the 70-200 grand that people who really are rich spend on cars..

But we still get labeled that way and catch a hard time when ever we say we beat somthing...GO FIGURE