Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Turbo rx7 vs camaro SS

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2006, 01:19 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by XakEp
Just in case youre too dense to figure out what I was saying - only ******* ricers give the old "my motor is more reliable than your motor" argument. I dont give a **** how long my motor lasts as long as it puts me across the finish line before you. To say nothing about gas mileage. YOu cant buy power at the pump, and if youre making great mileage you arent making great power.

And no, I do not and never have owned an RX7.
I was slamming you for quoting FMJ with Texas people around, not even seriously.

Plus i have just really been itching to use that GIF
Old 02-06-2006, 02:01 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not even a race,the SS will kill it.
Old 02-06-2006, 02:31 AM
11 Second Club

Let's see.. 2.0l in our engine terms would be equivalent to a 4.0L.. making 600hp. I don't think that's all that impressive for a high compression race gas motor..

Peace,
Josh
Old 02-06-2006, 03:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

how many 4.0l do you know that make 600hp? i know alot of 408's (6.6L) who can't make 500 whp.

Efficiancy wise it's a 4.0 but dissplacement it's still only a 2.0 the efficiany gets double because of the second power stroke.
Old 02-06-2006, 05:53 PM
Launching!

Am I the only one who thinks the whole thread is BS because the two said cars dont exist?
Old 02-06-2006, 08:35 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Sparetire
Am I the only one who thinks the whole thread is BS because the two said cars dont exist?
I I know it is, but it is fun to talk about it. Why do these guys keep talking about a 2.0 L and it really being a 4.0 L? ^^^^^ What the hell are they talking about? Do they know RX-7's are 1.3 L? Haha! I hope they aren't talking about that!
Old 02-06-2006, 09:33 PM
11 Second Club

I'm too lazy to describe to a t what we are talking about, but we are talking about if you compare a b20 to a piston engine it would be equivalent to 4.0l engine. A v8 does not fire all 8 of its cylinders in 1 cycle. The b20 uses all of its displacement. This is no advantage really, just different.. If it made exactly 600 hp, it'd be about 150hp/l. Not out of the ordinary for a piston engine race gas high compression engine, exactly like what you are describing. A 800-900hp SBC engine is not abnormal for extreme drag racing or circle track cars.. I can guarantee you there's more SBC 350-357's doing 850 than there is b20's making 600. Just due to the extreme amount of cup engines and pro stock chevy sbc's out there. Just because you've seen some street car ls1's barely make 550hp doesn't really mean a fair comparison. The rotary has no real advantage.. it's torque isn't that great, fuel consumption is high, less reliability, and more emissions with everything being equal. I mean, let's be for real.. if the rotary engine was the best solution out there.. every car in america would now be using a wankel. It's not allowed in 2.0 classes due to the fact it's basically equivalent to our 4.0l engine. it's different... not superior.

Back to the post.. I don't think the cars exist either... if they do, I'd bet on the t/a with equal driver/traction, but I'd say close race as well.

Peace,
Josh
Old 02-07-2006, 11:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LSINA7
No way. No murdering, and not a superior motor. It .
well stock those rx-7 rotorys(sp) are the most unreliable japanese engines on earth, for regular driving, and try finding someone who knows how to work on those motors.
Old 02-07-2006, 11:42 PM
11 Second Club

I don't think there's such thing as an RX7 that hasn't blown it apex seals before rolling off the dealer lot.
Old 02-08-2006, 07:17 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by GMmexican
well stock those rx-7 rotorys(sp) are the most unreliable japanese engines on earth, for regular driving, and try finding someone who knows how to work on those motors.

Ask the Japanese about that, they would smack you in the face. Rotaries are very relaible over there, and now they are even getting more relaible over here. We finally have some shops that know how to work on the engnines. They have luxury cars with rotaries in them. Oh, and how do you know? Experience?
Old 02-08-2006, 07:17 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 02 Camaro SS
I don't think there's such thing as an RX7 that hasn't blown it apex seals before rolling off the dealer lot.

Thats what you get for thinking.
Old 02-08-2006, 07:49 AM
TECH Resident

Ask the Japanese about that, they would smack you in the face. Rotaries are very relaible over there, and now they are even getting more relaible over here. We finally have some shops that know how to work on the engnines. They have luxury cars with rotaries in them. Oh, and how do you know? Experience?
....sounds to me like ur gettin all butt hurt that the guys on the site could careless about rx7's... just drop it man
Old 02-08-2006, 08:50 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SStheBest
....sounds to me like ur gettin all butt hurt that the guys on the site could careless about rx7's... just drop it man
Naw, it isn't a big deal to me, just tryin to inform the misinformed.
Old 02-11-2006, 02:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LSINA7
dude im talking about the rx-7 released here in the U.S.A.93-95', ....rx-7s had alot of problems with there secondary turbos,...........turbo malfuntioning by the rx-7's many times because of the complex array of vaccum lines and selinoid valves, high under hood temperatures from the turbos would cause some of the lines to harden and break, they often need an engine rebuild after only 50,000-60,000 miles because the aluminium engine housing warps and or/ seals fail and allow coolant to enter the rotor chambers,and rotoray engines run hotter than piston engines and turbos only add to the heat you have to maintain proper engine cooling if the needles rose to hot even once the engines would cook!,the two electric fans would frequently come apart launching blades into the radiator,u absolutly need to do oil changes every 2000-3000 miles because gasoline residue is more likly to contaminate the oil of a rotory compared to a piston engine, and oil breaks down more quickly because its used to cool the turbos,.............on trannys rx-7s would sometimes have 5th-gear synchros damaged very easily,coolant system's plactic air seperator often splits, dumping out coolant, you have to replace the weak OEM plastic air sepeartor tank with an aftermarket metal tank............thats the stuff i know off sounds like alot to me, again if you read my earlier post i said the rotory would run better if it had more development/engineering time which is obiously not a problem in its native country
Old 02-11-2006, 07:10 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by GMmexican
dude im talking about the rx-7 released here in the U.S.A.93-95', ....rx-7s had alot of problems with there secondary turbos,...........turbo malfuntioning by the rx-7's many times because of the complex array of vaccum lines and selinoid valves, high under hood temperatures from the turbos would cause some of the lines to harden and break, they often need an engine rebuild after only 50,000-60,000 miles because the aluminium engine housing warps and or/ seals fail and allow coolant to enter the rotor chambers,and rotoray engines run hotter than piston engines and turbos only add to the heat you have to maintain proper engine cooling if the needles rose to hot even once the engines would cook!,the two electric fans would frequently come apart launching blades into the radiator,u absolutly need to do oil changes every 2000-3000 miles because gasoline residue is more likly to contaminate the oil of a rotory compared to a piston engine, and oil breaks down more quickly because its used to cool the turbos,.............on trannys rx-7s would sometimes have 5th-gear synchros damaged very easily,coolant system's plactic air seperator often splits, dumping out coolant, you have to replace the weak OEM plastic air sepeartor tank with an aftermarket metal tank............thats the stuff i know off sounds like alot to me, again if you read my earlier post i said the rotory would run better if it had more development/engineering time which is obiously not a problem in its native country
Thats all true. What did you do a huge search?
Old 02-11-2006, 05:28 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by distortion_69
I'm too lazy to describe to a t what we are talking about, but we are talking about if you compare a b20 to a piston engine it would be equivalent to 4.0l engine. A v8 does not fire all 8 of its cylinders in 1 cycle. The b20 uses all of its displacement. This is no advantage really, just different.. If it made exactly 600 hp, it'd be about 150hp/l. Not out of the ordinary for a piston engine race gas high compression engine, exactly like what you are describing. A 800-900hp SBC engine is not abnormal for extreme drag racing or circle track cars.. I can guarantee you there's more SBC 350-357's doing 850 than there is b20's making 600. Just due to the extreme amount of cup engines and pro stock chevy sbc's out there. Just because you've seen some street car ls1's barely make 550hp doesn't really mean a fair comparison. The rotary has no real advantage.. it's torque isn't that great, fuel consumption is high, less reliability, and more emissions with everything being equal. I mean, let's be for real.. if the rotary engine was the best solution out there.. every car in america would now be using a wankel. It's not allowed in 2.0 classes due to the fact it's basically equivalent to our 4.0l engine. it's different... not superior.

Back to the post.. I don't think the cars exist either... if they do, I'd bet on the t/a with equal driver/traction, but I'd say close race as well.

Peace,
Josh
You post some of the most retarded **** I have ever seen.

1)A B20 is a piston engine. I mean damn.
2)A B20 does not fire all its cylinders in one cycle either. Crap.
3)A B20 and an LS1 are both 4 stroke engines. That means for every 4 strokes, each cylinder fires one power stroke:
Piston at TDC goes down, drawing in air.
Piston goes up, compressing air. (At the end of this, you have rotated the crank once.)
Boom, piston is forced down by ignition of air and fuel.
piston goes back up, expelling exsaust.

The rotary is not the best solution. If your so convinced SBCs are, why id Chevy the only real volume performance car maker using them?
OHCs are cheaper to make. They are easier to assemble from a production engineering standpoint. Neither makes them better motors for performance, but it does mean thats what automakers tend to go with. So it really depends on how you define best solution.
Old 02-11-2006, 05:57 PM
11 Second Club

1) I thought the 20b was a tri-rotor?
2) If it's a rotary, then that would mean that while the chevy fires one bank, the rotary has used all its displacment.
3) No pistons in a tri-rotor.

I did not say I was convinced that SBC's are.. I'm just convinced that no rotary is any more superior than any of the other engines out there. I backed up that example with the fact that a race SBC engines make 150 hp/l frequently, not that they are the only one ever to achieve this. In fact, TONS of cars do 150 hp/l, and if you ask me there are a ton of motors better than a tri-rotor for just about every solution.. it's not like a tri-rotor has any type of size, consumption, emissions advantage.

EDIT: Excuse the b20 statement in previous post, I own a honda civic hatch also and was lookin up b20 swaps for torque that same day. It has a little p.o.s. d15 in there now.

Peace,
Josh
Old 02-11-2006, 06:53 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by distortion_69
1) I thought the 20b was a tri-rotor?
2) If it's a rotary, then that would mean that while the chevy fires one bank, the rotary has used all its displacment.
3) No pistons in a tri-rotor.

I did not say I was convinced that SBC's are.. I'm just convinced that no rotary is any more superior than any of the other engines out there. I backed up that example with the fact that a race SBC engines make 150 hp/l frequently, not that they are the only one ever to achieve this. In fact, TONS of cars do 150 hp/l, and if you ask me there are a ton of motors better than a tri-rotor for just about every solution.. it's not like a tri-rotor has any type of size, consumption, emissions advantage.

EDIT: Excuse the b20 statement in previous post, I own a honda civic hatch also and was lookin up b20 swaps for torque that same day. It has a little p.o.s. d15 in there now.

Peace,
Josh
B20 - Pistons
20B - Rotors

2 Different engines there bud

And a 3 rotor makes 150 hp per liter in stock form.
SBC's do it in race form.
There are a couple 20B's that make 400 hp per liter in street cars. How many SBC's doing that?
The rotary is a crazy *** motor, known for hp per liter and crazy RPM's. Noone said it was the best motor ever or anything. But a SBC has none of those advantages either. There are much better motors for each application.

And don't be misinformed man, the 20B isn't allowed in small engine classes like those because it destroyed everything thrown at it, it wasn't even fair.

And there are huge debates on whether the 20b/13b are double there rated liters or not. Noone has ever truly won the debate one way or the other. Mazda still wins as of now.

Hold on, what is this arguement even over?
Old 02-11-2006, 07:16 PM
Banned

IF this goes down please record it and put it on the net for us to enjoy
Old 02-11-2006, 08:00 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LS1 GG
IF this goes down please record it and put it on the net for us to enjoy
Its not real.

Quick Reply: Turbo rx7 vs camaro SS