Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Stock 02 WS6 vs Lancer Evo?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 11:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BTW....how quick is that 5.0 .......not a daily driver is it?
Old 02-22-2006, 11:30 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ya, its my daily, no, its not that fast, low 13's, maybe a high 12 on stickies, I dunno. It hangs with/beats most everything I have run so far (most impressive was an 04 6M GTO with full boltons runnigh high 12's, we tied 65 to 95, but he woulda had me by 1 car if he hadnt buggered a shift)
Old 02-22-2006, 11:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

you should have bought an ls1 and put the money you have into that 5.0 into the ls1

That would be sweet. But nice kill/tie
Old 02-22-2006, 11:38 AM
Banned

I agree, the LS1 would have been a faster car for the $$. The reason I went 5.0 is i wanted a brand new motor, etc. etc. and i love the fox bodies. However, if i could trade it even I would, or if i could do it over again, i would prolly go LS1 car (6-speed only). I dunno, i love it, when i get the carb on it a lot of driveability issues will go away too.
Old 02-22-2006, 12:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Stanger88
I agree, the LS1 would have been a faster car for the $$. The reason I went 5.0 is i wanted a brand new motor, etc. etc. and i love the fox bodies. However, if i could trade it even I would, or if i could do it over again, i would prolly go LS1 car (6-speed only). I dunno, i love it, when i get the carb on it a lot of driveability issues will go away too.
Honestly I say stick with the 5.0. They are nice and light, especially with some weight reduction, and look mean as hell. I love my f-body but there is nothing like a well built 5.0, I mean everytime I go to borders or another store with magazines I always find myself looking at 5.0 magazine as they always have pics of some sick fox bodies.
Old 02-22-2006, 12:39 PM
Banned

I bought the fox 5.0 for purely looks, and its moddable as hell, but its about the same as a stripper Z LS1 I weighed it in at 3250#.
Old 02-22-2006, 02:10 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 2001stripper
N.O.LA-WS6,

Don't listen to these guys. Stock Evo's run 19 lbs. of boost so this is only 2 more lbs, that's like 20 more hp. Almost all stock and lightly modded Evos at my track run anywhere from 13.3-13.9 @ only 101-105 mph. Remember you have an 02 LS1 which along w/ 01's run very strong straight from the factory (see my sig), plus you have an exhaust which will offset those 2 extra lbs. of boost.

Having said all this, it is still advantages for you to race from a roll but I still think that you can take him from a dig if you know how to launch. From a roll, I think that you will murder him with that hellacious 3rd gear pull and the LS1 topend.

Let us know how it goes. Good luck (although you won't need it)

They run 19 PSI peak boost. Its really about 16PSI where it matters. So 21 PSI is a lot more power at peak and under the curve than stock.

Its certanly a bigger gain than is going to be offset by a catback that may or may not be a Corsa.

That said, from a roll, it depends on a lot. I would bet on the Evo. From a dig, unless the Evo guy cant drive, its going to him.
Old 02-22-2006, 03:36 PM
Board Certified Idiot

Raced one at philly 2 weeks ago . Needless to say he had a INTAKE and a boost contoller at 22lbs so he says. Fact of the matter in life is to drive that car for peak performace takes great skill. To beat a Near stock. 00 LS1 which i am. A4 to boot .with some tires. He lost . keep this in mind its on the street pavement also not PREP-track. i got him by a good 3cars or so From a DIg. did not get to race from a ROLL but they take more then a few mods to run with one at higher speeds. you should get him No worries
Old 02-22-2006, 06:16 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Z2K_MrJ
Raced one at philly 2 weeks ago . Needless to say he had a INTAKE and a boost contoller at 22lbs so he says. Fact of the matter in life is to drive that car for peak performace takes great skill. To beat a Near stock. 00 LS1 which i am. A4 to boot .with some tires. He lost . keep this in mind its on the street pavement also not PREP-track. i got him by a good 3cars or so From a DIg. did not get to race from a ROLL but they take more then a few mods to run with one at higher speeds. you should get him No worries
Well if thats all he had then he was actually making less HP than stock. Adding an intake to these cars without a good tune creates LESS horsepower. Same with running 22psi, without a proper tune he was most likely just pulling timing like crazy.
Old 02-22-2006, 06:23 PM
Teching In

Evo has this one. Maybe if he was stock I would say do you have a good chance of beating him but he's running 21 psi when his turbo starts kicking I say it's pretty much over. He won't kill you hard but you will not beat him nor from a dig or a roll unless that roll is like 80 mph. I suggest add bolt on's to your car. Lid, filter, headers, full exaust etc. so that LS1 can come alive. Then you will have a better chance of beating him. Add heads and cam you will be killing him. Good luck on your ride!
Old 02-25-2006, 12:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

They are pretty quick.

The guy I raced claimed he was stock....and I could BARELY pull him on the highway at over 100 mph. Probably took me 10 seconds to gain a car on him.

And I had all the mods in my sig currently.

I came to find out about a week later that he had a rather extensive list of mods, including nitrous. That whole week I was absolutely miserable with my car thinking that something was seriously wrong with it and or that rice was taking over the world.

I knew it didnt add up for an awd car to hang with a cammed, stripper, almost full bolt on ls1 on the highway. But then again me and my friend are about 450 pounds together and he was by himself. and weighed probably 120 pounds. But still....I was stunned to say the least.

Not sure how quick they are stock or near stock

Last edited by UltraZLS1; 02-25-2006 at 12:27 PM.

Quick Reply: Stock 02 WS6 vs Lancer Evo?