Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Raced an Evo VIII and an MKIV Supra TT

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 11:13 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wesmanw02
I'm not at all surprised that you killed an Evo with a Mustang Cobra. Those things don't have anything from a roll, especially considering they have about 25% drivetrain loss, which is ridiculous IMO.

As for the guy running 11.9's, keep in mind thats with an AWD launch. If you launch it like a normal car, that 11.9 suddenly turns into a 13.0. Not too impressive if you ask me. Hence the reason you killed his *** from a roll, AWD does no good once you are moving
oh but i wasnt in the cobra I was in my vette, the guy told us they were on their way to thunderhill raceway toward redding.
at the time my car was trapping 116mph with the g5x3 cam stock heads and intake. the guy was cool, but when I saw him at the dragstrip a while later he didnt say anything to me.
Old 03-02-2006, 12:28 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Quik Z06
I dont have to point out the AMS Evo or anything do I
I believe this is just a joking reference to the AMS Evo but I'm going to use this as a chance to rant about it anyway.

What the hell is the big damn deal with this ******* car yes it make's an assload of power but jesus christ is seems like every post in which an Evo is mentioned this car is pops up too, the thing is like the damn mascot for Evo's now and whenever any Evo owner gets in over his head in some retarded internet argument he bust's out the AMS sheild to hide behind. Give it up please!!
Old 03-02-2006, 11:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FattyMcTrickle
I believe this is just a joking reference to the AMS Evo but I'm going to use this as a chance to rant about it anyway.

What the hell is the big damn deal with this ******* car yes it make's an assload of power but jesus christ is seems like every post in which an Evo is mentioned this car is pops up too, the thing is like the damn mascot for Evo's now and whenever any Evo owner gets in over his head in some retarded internet argument he bust's out the AMS sheild to hide behind. Give it up please!!

Yea im with you man. Like dont get me wrong, the AMS EVO is badass, but its ONE CAR! Like I love how tons of guys will be like "LS1 fanboys", when they all just use one car as a reference, the AMS EVO. Like give me a break, it is fats and runs 9's, but there are MULTIPLE LS1's running 9's, and even 8's, 7's, and 6's. Also, when people post about an EVO beating an LS1 you dont see every member on this board be like "well how about racing harlan" or something like that. Its pretty pathetic...
Old 03-02-2006, 07:18 PM
LS7 Member

Evo topend isn't that bad after a few mods... The stock boost control will drop boost big time on the top end which results in a huge power loss. The stock cams are also very weak up top. Correcting these two shortcommings wakes the car up alot in the upper rpms. High teen traps can be obtained on the stock turbo without too much modding.
Old 03-02-2006, 07:40 PM
Launching!

11.9 Becomes a 13.0? yeah, beacuse AWD allows 1.0 60fts ROTFLMAO.

Average loss one those drivelines is about 18%, not 25%. The Evo has been pretty accurately rated since it came to the US and the whole 286PS rating rule got dropped. A stock VIII at about 270hp will make mid 220s or so at the wheels, equating to about 17%. Thats about 50 hp out of 270. If it was 25% driveline loss it would be at about 200 WHP. So yeah, your loosing maybe 6% of your power as opposed to a RWD. Then again, ask the guys running Ford 9's and drag trannies about how much they loose to the driveline in the name of the hole shot.

And honestly it gets more complex than that. Because driveline loss is not a fixed percentage. If a 1300WHP Supra really lost 12%, thats 156hp lost through the tranny. All that power does not just disappear. It goes into heat. And 156hp would melt even a re-damn-diculusly strong gearbox like the M6 Supras'. Loss is really a more fixed amount required to move all the parts and their inertia combined with a percentage gain on top of that fixed loss.

The Evo has pretty good roll on acceleration for a 270hp-280hp car. Its just that its' launch is so good people who are used to RWD expect more from a roll. A LS1 cutting the same 60fts will naturally pull harder from a roll than an Evo, because it will almost certanly have significantly more power. Run a roll race between and Evo and say a 270HP 2L RWD 240/Silvia. They will be a pretty close.
Old 03-02-2006, 07:43 PM
On The Tree

Wow Quick Z06..Your decently modded car will pull your pretty much bone stock car till120 mph..What a surprise....But your wife dosent seem to see it that way from the post Ive read...She says that your EVO STILL needs more mods to actually be able to beat her pretty much stock Z06...

Think about it...TWO THOUSAND FIVE HUNDRED BUCKS AND YOU STILL CANT PULL YOUR STOCK Z06????

Thats not exactly a strong argument for your EVO..
aND YOUR z06 WILL still PROBALY TRAP HIGHER THROUGH THE 1/4 AFTER ALL THE MONEY SPEN TON THE YOUR EVO...

Now imagine that your Z06 was the one with 2500 $ worth of mods...Lets just say some DR's and a nice mid range cam..Maybe one step above the 224/224..918 springs and malloy pushrods..

Your Z06 would EASILY be trapping in the 118-122 range...Evo's are nice cars and I persoanally like them a lot better than STI's..But they are slow on the freeway..

At my track they trap 97-99 mph bone stock...Even my lowly 2.73 A4 C5 seemed fast compared to them trapping 102-104 mph.....Lets give them credit were credit is due...They are awesome launchers!!!!!!!!

But they are FAR from fast on the freeway..Your modded example still getting pulled at 120 mph by a 99% stock Z06 just further proves this. Seriously..They tap out at 145 mph bone stock!!!!!! So dont try to make them more than what they are simply because you own one.

stop light to stop light..FAST

1/4 mile strip...incredibly fast for such low mph

FREEWAY.....About on par with a 350Z stock for stock
Old 03-02-2006, 08:00 PM
Launching!

The Vettes Aero is so much better than the Evos its not even funny. Thats a big part of the reason the Z06 has a huge advantage. The other is about 130 more WHP. The AWD IMO is really not the deciding factor. Shoot, people say the same kind of stuff about 5.0s. How mean they are at the strip with not a lot of WHP and then how they dont hang as well freeway. Freeway racing does not care about weight or suspension even. It cares about power and aero and a bit about gearing.

2500 in mods allows Evos to run very solid 11s. That a damn strong case IMO. That Z06 is a 50K car. So if you want to talk cash for speed there's the scenario. Frankly I think thats a stupid way to look at it. I bet you do too LOL. The Z06 will murder the Evo mod for mod. Naturally. Put a full bolt-ons Z06 against a full bolt-ons Evo (not counting turbo/intercooler LOL) and see who wins. Z06.
Old 03-02-2006, 10:38 PM
On The Tree

Well Im not trying to put the EVO down...For the money it is a nice looking car...trapping 98-103 mph ( depending on track) is defiently not a slow freeway runner..

It dose have ***** against most cars. But the LS1 was seriously touched by God. He didnt throw it down the track. But he defiently touched it and gave it great low end grunt with even better high end power..

So stock Evo manual vrs an a4 2.73 geared camaro on the freeway from a 70 mph roll the slow ( for a camaro) Camaro will win that race. It's not gonna rape it since it only trapps 1-3 mph higher in the 1/4 mile. But it will win.

Now a fair race with manual vrs manual and the camaro will rape it. Were alking about a car thats trapps 103 to a car that traps 107...The numbers both represent strong running examples but you see my point.

4 mph at the drag strip is counter punched by the EVO's 60 ft that was EASILY 2-4 tenths better.

But from a 70 mph roll that 4 mph deficit will continue to grow and grow as the cars go faster. Especially considering the drag of the EVO.

Drag and power are not easy to make up for. I personaly HATE whenpeople say...ALL you need is this and that for a total of 2,00$$ and you can be trapping 113 mph in your EVO..

People say the same thing about Vettes as well...

In reality..That same Evo with 2 rand in mods wondering why he's not trapping 113 mph will only be trapping 108...Then somthing may brake..Then eventually with more money/tuning/time. It will run that 113 mph..

But it's just not that easy...Yea a stockZ06 will REALLY hit 120 mph with a couple of decent mods..But it was trappinbg 116 mph bone stock. Thats only a gain of 4 mph..

Whenyour talking about making an EVO trapp 113 mph. Your talking about a solid 10 plus mph gain. Thats HUGE..ZYea some eople will do a few mods and have it all come so easy.

I read about people all thetime doing a 100 shot of NOS and putting on slicks and running high 11's in there other wise bone stock F body's / C5's...

But I read of a lot more post about things going wrong than going right.
Old 03-03-2006, 09:59 PM
TECH Resident

when we and my friend in the cobra ( we both at the time ran 12's at 116) ran that evo my friends girl was driving her auto c5 vette with vararam and catback and she woould still beat the 11.9 evo from a roll. the a4 vette's best time was 12.9@107