Old 02-23-2006, 02:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow these guys are ******* stupid
Old 02-23-2006, 03:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 98Z28MASS
Also who wouldnt give up their stock torque to be 800 pounds lighter, but what, your gonna keep the same HP and only lose torque? Sure id give up the 800 pounds, but then id have an s2k, and I dont want one, which is why I bought an ls1 powered vehicle...
Thats not what I'm trying to advocate to you! All I hear is torque this and torque that. It doesn't matter as much when your car in question is 800lbs lighter than the car you are racing.
Old 02-23-2006, 03:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 25psi
My friends cars weighs 2714 without him in it. So we're back at 800lbs. You need to take into consideration the amount of weight that is being transferred through out the course of the track. An S2000 was made to be a track car. Take its weight, 9000rpm redline and small compact size and I don't see how you can actually think a stock ls1 car would win. You would need to stop atleast 100ft shorter to take the same turn as would an s2000, so in turn, making his exits faster.
I completely understand what your saying about how the significant diff in weight transfers throughout the turns in a road course/track, and I dont have any physical proof, I just think from having driven both that as slp equipped ls1 powered vehicle would be on par if not better than an s2k on a fairly length road course/track. Now the s2k obviously handles WAY better, but I think the power and torque of the LS1 would be enough to overcome the weight difference. I could be (lol and probably am) 100% wrong, just wish there were some numbers on the two on a real road course.
Old 02-23-2006, 03:13 PM
TECH Addict

Thats not what I'm trying to advocate to you! All I hear is torque this and torque that. It doesn't matter as much when your car in question is 800lbs lighter than the car you are racing.
I agree, haha I was just busting your ***** as it sounded like, at first, that you were saying drop the factory torque for 800 pounds diff in weight but no difference in HP, thats all. Plus I just keep hearing how bad camaros and trans am handle and its not true, they are actually quite good.
Old 02-23-2006, 03:14 PM
TECH Addict

I wonder if they have any lap times in car and driver or road and track or something like that?
Old 02-23-2006, 03:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yea there would need to be long staight aways or enough of them to over power it.

Have you have a chance to read motor trends viper vs elise shoot out? The viper does win, however it wasn't until the straight aways that the viper started to gain his advantage.

I do think the outcome here would be different since the viper had nearly 300hp more the elise opposed to only 80hp vs ls1 and s2k.
Old 02-23-2006, 03:20 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well 25PSI I guess i'll go tell my friend his heavy *** 3500# 04 M3 wont handle for a damn and can not be used in anything involving corners
Old 02-23-2006, 03:23 PM
TECH Addict

Yea def need a few decent straight aways but id think it would be close. Nah I didnt see that article, def need to check it out as I love the Elise. Thats true though, if the lap times were that close with their weight difference, then maybe the ls1 vs s2k wouldnt be that close?
Old 02-23-2006, 03:26 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For the record, the lap times of a S2000 and a Mach1 in an older issue of R&T were VERY CLOSE as I recall. Not sure which one won it, but the difference was rediculously narrow, anyone remember the article or have it? The S2000 behaved MUCH better, but was too weak out of the hairpins
Old 02-23-2006, 04:46 PM
Launching!

I saw a test somewhere where a SS was about even with an S2K at Willow Springs. Same driver. Same day.
The S2000 is about having a fun screamer car more than outright numbers.
The S200 IMHO, is not really even a track car. Its rear suspension in the early years was twitchy as hell according to the autoxers. Its high powerband makes autox very hard to do, and road racing as well AFAIK. the new 2.2L ones with revised suspension are much better according to the mags.

Honestly, its just BS that low end torque is for drag racing. LS1s are fast because of mean midrange punch. You use your low end torque for like the first 30 feet. After that your between 3 and redline. Or at least you better be. Low end torque is for autox and road course. There your constanly exiting corners at less than peak rpm, and need the pull out of there. Why people think you should have a high rpm screamer when you will be making constant low rpm exits is beyond me. Look at where drag cars run versus where road racing C5s run rpm-wise. Roadies are not bouncing off 8000 all the time like dedicated drag guys.

Having said that, the first page at least was pretty reasonable. But I have seen some scary stupid S2k threads. I saw one on COSR once where a guy was asking about his problems after hooking up nitrous. Weird noises, no exra power, strange issues etc. Everyone was stupmed untill the guy mentioned (get your puke bag ready) how he tapped the valve cover for the nitrous. Yes. I am serious. Really. The valve cover. Possitive crankcase pressure anyone? At least the real Honda guys laughed him off the site. It must suck to be a smart Honda enthusiast. Some of those guys are really cool.
Old 02-23-2006, 04:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok, I'll be the first to admit that I don't know much about S2000's, but since they are obviously slow in a straight line, why do people act like the are so fast around the corners? I'm sure they handle ok, but I don't know about autocross. I would think a 9k rpm redline would really really hurt you in autocross, I don't see how that could help you.
Old 02-23-2006, 05:15 PM
Tech Resident

My friends cars weighs 2714 without him in it. So we're back at 800lbs. You need to take into consideration the amount of weight that is being transferred through out the course of the track. An S2000 was made to be a track car. Take its weight, 9000rpm redline and small compact size and I don't see how you can actually think a stock ls1 car would win. You would need to stop atleast 100ft shorter to take the same turn as would an s2000, so in turn, making his exits faster.
I'm not sure I agree with you on this one, I'm not saying that an S2K wouldnt beat an LS1 on an auto-x but i think your logic is a little funky.

A good auto-x car needs to have;
-The ability to pull high lateral g's
-Good 0-60 times
-Tight turning raduis
-Good 60-0 distances

None of that depends on vehical size, weight, horsepower, or a 9k redline.

What you need is good tires, tight gears, good brakes, and a good power-to-weight ratio.

People auto-x B-body cars that weigh over 4000lbs. How? They get good tires, set up the suspenison right, and gear the cars low. Is it easyer to do with a lighter, smaller car? Yes, but just because its smaller and lighter doesnt mean the S2K is a better auto-x car. Its better because its set up to be good at auto-x (just like a mazda mx5 or BMW M3)

All I'm trying to say is, throw a god set of tires, some 3.73 gears, and some good brakes in an f-body and it would be able to keep up with or beat an S2K at its own game.
Old 02-23-2006, 05:28 PM
TECH Addict

Check out what V8Killa wrote, hes asking when the domestic guys are going to give them respect. Yet look at his sig, 00 Civic Si Custom Dual Exhaust, Cai, 50 Shot of nos. What a ******* dumbass, they need to just get rid of that ******* site its a joke.
-Joel
Old 02-23-2006, 05:32 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 98Z28MASS
I wonder if they have any lap times in car and driver or road and track or something like that?

I found this

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....&page_number=1

Here's an excerpt from the article.
At the racetrack, the SS raised more than a few eyebrows. Everyone expected it to rocket down the straights, but it ended up cornering well too — proof that high tech isn't necessarily the only show in town. While it certainly could work better over bumps and through quick transitions, the SS is generally stable, predictable and as such, surprisingly fast.
And it's time around that course.
Camaro SS Lap Time = 2 minutes, 16.46 sec,

It was faster than the

BMW M Roadster @ 2 minutes, 17.28 sec

the S2000 @ 2 minutes, 17.66 sec

Mercedes-Benz SLK320 @ 2 minutes, 20.87 sec

Porsche Boxter S @ 2 minutes, 17.46 sec

Not bad for a heavy ***, old tech pushrod, solid-axle, straight-line only POS, am I rite?

Last edited by Muerte_X; 02-23-2006 at 05:41 PM.
Old 02-23-2006, 05:43 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by Muerte_X
Not bad for a heavy ***, old tech pushrod, solid-axle, straight-line only POS, am I rite?
*right*... yes, yes you are.
Old 02-23-2006, 05:44 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by WhiteKnightZ28
*right*... yes, yes you are.
Thanks, I purposely misspelled it to be funny(kind of an inside joke from another forum), but whatever.
Old 02-23-2006, 06:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I found this

It was faster than the

OWNED!!!!!!!

I don't see how the S2000's peaky engine would be good for auto-x at all. When you come into hairpin turns, you need to be able to accelerate out at a relatively low speed, and going back to 1st gear is almost never an option. So basically you are stuck at a lower RPM, (probably well below VTEC) in 2nd gear, trying to power out of a turn while mkaing about 90HP and 50ft/lbs of torque

Hence the reason I will never own a Honda for anything other than a beater
Old 02-23-2006, 07:02 PM
Launching!

I don't know about beating one on an auto-x course. Some of those guys with domestics are not as slow as you think on those courses.

They out weigh us, but some of those things haul butt in the corners. I got smoked in a "friendly" canyon run by a newer Corvette that was stock so he said. It sounded stock to me.
An S2000 beat by a corvette??? I don't believe it! F*cking Import morons!
Old 02-23-2006, 10:11 PM
Launching!

I found this
It was faster than the
Thats the one! I could have sworn it Willow Springs...

But that goes to show what some wide tires and torque can do. IRS is great, but on a nice smooth cambered corner live axle is not the huge impediment people make it out to be.
Old 02-23-2006, 10:13 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by blue99SS
An S2000 beat by a corvette??? I don't believe it! F*cking Import morons!
A rear tansmissioned, LS1ed, advanced chassied, light bodied, wider tired, 45K car should and does beat an S2000.

Its still funny when people are surprised by that though I like telling people about how succesful Vipers are in AutoX. They simply refuse to beleive it. It would be sad if it were not so damn funny.