Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

ran a hemi truck

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 02:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ran a hemi truck

Well today was the first day nice enough to really enough to enjoy my car fully.
T-tops off, windows down. Threw on my uber sex C.A.O hat *its like the ONLY thing I've ever won and it looks sharp* I have my Monsoon system cranked and I'm being true to the Camaro by blasting 80s hair metal. Namely "Rock you like a Hurricane"

I come to a stoplight and am being my foolish self jamming along to my haggard tunes that I hold so dear. I hear a rumbley exhaust note of what could be nothing but a fellow V8.

I look over trying to look as cool as I can but not looking cocky either. It's a Dodge ram with the hemi as the cool sticker on the side lets me know. The driver leans over and asks "Is that an 8?"

I reply in with a slick sounding " Yea, shes my baby!" *I'm a ******* geek I know I know* I'm now given aprovel with a rev and he grabs his steering wheel like hes about sqeeze out a firey poop.

I know what is going to happen coming green, I reach over for my ASR *traction control* button and flick it off.

Green light comes on I smash off at about 2500 both the truck and myself giving some sqeeakage of the rears. I bang the limiter one time in first and feel foolish as I slap it into 2nd. I see he kept with me for the first few feet but the mighty hemi could not move the truck with in a unshameful reach of the F-body.

About 65mph I let off, that being a quick sprint for us both he was still in my rearveiw mirror and I slid the car into 5th and allowed it to slow it's self a bit.
He comes flying by me leaning over with at huge and drove off.

I must say this is my first race wearing a hat with no Top I was scared it was going to go bye bye!

Oh and for ricers ZOMG my intake helped alot!!!1

Cliffs.
cruising in the z28
meet a hemi pickup at a light
whoop on him
get props
Old 03-09-2006, 03:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

cool.
Old 03-09-2006, 03:16 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Ace$nyper
Oh and for ricers ZOMG my intake helped alot!!!1
But, but, but.. My rice only has a stock intake..

Nice run. The Hemi will make the power but in the end it's still a heavey azz truck.
Old 03-09-2006, 03:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WRX-ERROR
But, but, but.. My rice only has a stock intake..

Nice run. The Hemi will make the power but in the end it's still a heavey azz truck.
Well you better fix it then intakes make your car hella fast y0!11

I only put that in to be silly this is my first run with my new lid. I own a honda too I like all cool cars
Old 03-09-2006, 03:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

don't those trucks have the 5.7 hemis found int eh charger and magnum and GC?
Old 03-09-2006, 03:48 PM
Banned

The Hemi is an architectural clone of the LS1. Good engine, but pushing 5,000 pounds takes the shine off of it. (340 hp)

Last edited by FIREHAWK#608; 03-09-2006 at 03:55 PM.
Old 03-09-2006, 07:18 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Ace$nyper
I'm now given aprovel with a rev and he grabs his steering wheel like hes about sqeeze out a firey poop.

Nice kill
Old 03-10-2006, 07:30 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by FIREHAWK#608
The Hemi is an architectural clone of the LS1. Good engine, but pushing 5,000 pounds takes the shine off of it. (340 hp)
Truck is 345 not that 5hp makes any difference at that point, the cars have the 340hp and the hemi durango is only 330hp.

6.1L is 420hp and they are working on a 6.4L that is coming for sure that will be 510hp. (they are entering nascar with it) I think it's 2008. It's also rumored that the 6.4L Hemi will replace the Viper v10 motor for 2008. It probably will happen. They are also going to compete with the F450/F550 trucks in the future, they gave up that line years ago and since the popularity of the hemi, they are bringing those back to give Ford competition. I think they are on the right track as far as marketing.
Old 03-10-2006, 07:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

i don't know much about the similarities between the blocks(although i'm pretty sure they aren't "clones"), but the heads and valvetrain are completely different, and thats where the magic happens.....

i'm still waiting for the hemi to drop into something weighing less than two tons, but it makes my 5,300 lb truck feel a lot lighter than it is

Truck is 345 not that 5hp makes any difference at that point, the cars have the 340hp and the hemi durango is only 330hp.

6.1L is 420hp and they are working on a 6.4L that is coming for sure that will be 510hp. (they are entering nascar with it) I think it's 2008. They are also going to compete with the F450/F550 trucks in the future, they gave up that line years ago and since the popularity of the hemi, they are bringing those back to give ford competition. I think they are on the right track as far as marketing.
your right, 5 hp is kind of splitting hairs, the dyno has shown those numbers, especially the 6.1 numbers, are low.....but if you must, the "official" numbers for the 6.1l are 425 for the cars and 420 for the jeep, and 505 for the 6.4 crate engine that was at the sema show ...the beauty of the 5.7 engine is the torque, 390 for the cars and 370 for the trucks....
Old 03-10-2006, 08:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

The 5.7L Hemi pickups arnt anything special. My bro has one and he lost to an 05 extened cab 4x4 half ton chevy with a 5.3L ( walked all over him) and to a toyta pickup the new ones with the V8 that you see on all the commercials. He just got headers and a Y pipe for it so i guess we will see what that does.
Old 03-10-2006, 10:01 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by coxta
The 5.7L Hemi pickups arnt anything special. My bro has one and he lost to an 05 extened cab 4x4 half ton chevy with a 5.3L ( walked all over him) and to a toyta pickup the new ones with the V8 that you see on all the commercials. He just got headers and a Y pipe for it so i guess we will see what that does.

bone stock, hemi wins all day long, been to the track seen it countless times. There's way more aftermarket for the chevy.

so yes, a modified 5.3 will be faster than a factory hemi.

edit: the toyota 4.7L v8 isn't nothing bone stock. There's more potential from nissan's 5.6L.

Last edited by wickedwarlock; 03-10-2006 at 10:12 AM.
Old 05-12-2006, 10:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

I heard a while back that the LS1 is a psuedo clone of a Ford Cleveland or Windsor. I have no idea about either of those or even if that is true. The guys at the Ford site where talking about jerry rigging LS1 heads to a Ford motor because they almost match (except for the insanely glaring differences which the experts came in and yelled at them for).