Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

STS vs. The World! Round One. :-)

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 07:51 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STS vs. The World! Round One. :-)

Okay, it's not the world. It's not even a remote tiny island off the coast of india. But I finally got my first Cobra kill. Not that I've raced any since I put on this kit about 8 months ago. The story's not all that interesting, but I'll tell you anyway. I've been itchin' for a race.

I pull out of the parking lot trying to get an 05 Mustang GT to race me. He had to get off at the next exit, so I felt a twinge of dispair. So I turn my ECB back to low boost and cruise on for about a 1/2 mile when a car comes flying up beside me. I swear I looked in my rearview one second he wasn't anywhere to be seen and the next he was on my ***. A silver 03/04 Cobra was subtly lining up to me at about my pace of 55ish. I gave the car a little gas to signify that I saw him and he, in turn, gunned the living **** out of this cobra. I flicked to my high boost setting while accelerating and he was 2 cars back by 80 and about 3 cars by 100. That was then followed up by what I am still considering a show of friendship (sarcasm) We slowed back down after his initial flyby and now it was I who had to catch up. Slowly cruisin' to catch up, I get to his bumper and he guns it.
(I guess he figured if I can get that reach on him I might as well give him the hit. He must have watched too many episodes of pinks. Which I love that show, by the way!)
So he gets the go ahead and takes the next exit.

Okay, now the boring part (as if the last part was really exciting). I have no idea what his mods were, but, by the look of things, he was pretty stock. He got the hit both times and the only reason I'm writing this is because of two certain F-bodies in the area know that my car hasn't been performing well and just felt a certain bit of pride that I won. So, Keep the flaming to a minimum.
Old 03-09-2006, 08:47 PM
Teching In

Nice kill,

BTW, what PSI are you running to get 471 rwhp? How hard was to it to install the STS kit and to tune? Did it give you any problems after the install?

I'm asking because I'm thinking about getting this kit.
Old 03-09-2006, 08:59 PM
12 Second Club

That PSI was reading 7 on my gauge but I had a leak problem immediately afterwards and haven't been able to get back to the dyno. The install was put on in a few hours (spread over two days) by two people w/ slightly higher than basic mechanical ability and after some troubleshooting between us and Billy (@ TRT) the kit was awesome. My clamps gave me a lot of problems because of one reason or another I'd forget to tighten a clamp down and then I'd boost and then blow off a pipe. As is, I'm doing well. I'm running 8.5#'s and the car pulls like a dream. Read up in forced induction, one thread titled STS Turbo?!?! because It's pretty decent when giving you the facts about the kit. If you're going to buy it, may I definitely recommend PMing TRTturbo. AND Thanks. :-)
Old 03-10-2006, 02:02 PM

Received 161 Likes on 99 Posts

Good job man. N I C E.....
Old 03-10-2006, 04:07 PM
12 Second Club

Now your cobra is more my speed. Would I be slaughtered? Maybe, but the road there would be awesome.
Old 03-12-2006, 01:14 AM
Launching!

I doubt youd get "slaughtered" with your numbers. Beat, but not badly. Can you post some pics of your ride?
Old 03-12-2006, 03:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by reocamaro
Now your cobra is more my speed. Would I be slaughtered? Maybe, but the road there would be awesome.
can i ride shotgun...lol

Nice kill. how long did it take to install your STS kit?
Old 03-12-2006, 05:44 AM
12 Second Club

Yeah, I could post up some pics. It's going to be like 80 degrees today. I definitely am going to get out there and give it a good wax. So I'll take some pics.

Sure, you could ride shotgun, might as well put a video camera in your hands while we're at it ;-)
Old 03-17-2006, 11:34 PM
Launching!

hey post up some pics, i live in the same damn city and i havent seen your car yet.

theres supposed to be a f-body/gto meet at the battle field hooters in chesapeake then theyre goin to the military hwy. one, go figure.

PICS plz
Old 03-18-2006, 02:47 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by catfSSh
hey post up some pics, i live in the same damn city and i havent seen your car yet.

theres supposed to be a f-body/gto meet at the battle field hooters in chesapeake then theyre goin to the military hwy. one, go figure.

PICS plz
I can do one better than ya tomorrow. I'm heading out to steen's dyno day and then out to military hwy. My camera's pretty shitty.
Old 03-18-2006, 02:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

man reo, i really want to see one of your dyno sheets.
Old 03-18-2006, 05:57 AM
12 Second Club

It's not the greatest, because it pretty small, but! If you see it takes a pretty good decline what is 5200 on out. My exhaust at my y-pipe developed a pretty good exhaust leak. One that I didn't even find until I went home. Put it back together, retightened the clamp and then everything was fine. It sucks. 6 hours worth of driving (roundtrip) wasted just because of that small leak.

And for CatfSSh, My car at Jenro's late last year (Va. Beach guys know where that is)
Old 03-18-2006, 10:06 AM
Launching!

Nice. I dont think that kind of power is borign personally, but I guess you have different stadards LOL.

Anyway, what sort of clamps are you using? Blowing pipes is a real bitch in new setups. Once you get it figured out though you'll be set.

Looking at the AFR, that leak really started to kill it. Kinda makes me wonder what a cutout would do for you. Think about it, if a leak is enough to get the kind of flow that leans you out, what kind of flow gain are you going to see with a cutout?
Old 03-18-2006, 10:44 AM
Launching!

actually im about to head out to steen to get a baseline dyno right now.
i was signed up on the list so hopefully i wont have to wait.
and i was at jenroes some last year, probably saw your car just didnt know what it was, i was up there some in a mystic teal 97 z28.

nice numbers though, looks good too