Video Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2006, 02:42 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Video Question

what program do you guys use to make your videos

editing, mixing shots, adding captions, music, and transitional scenes,

im wanting to work on putting some of my clubs races together so i can post but i need to know whats a good program and fairly easy to use, but has nice features to it

thanks
Old 03-15-2006, 01:02 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by jvillescamaroz28
what program do you guys use to make your videos

editing, mixing shots, adding captions, music, and transitional scenes,

im wanting to work on putting some of my clubs races together so i can post but i need to know whats a good program and fairly easy to use, but has nice features to it

thanks
windows xp works just fine!
Old 03-15-2006, 01:20 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by wickedwarlock
windows xp works just fine!
A joke right?
Old 03-16-2006, 05:55 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Charging TA
A joke right?
nope, I can tell you haven't used it or even tried it. It's a simple product and sure there's better. I've done lots for dtwtrucks.com. Movie maker is the product. You can edit, cut, add text, add music, etc. It's perfect for the average person.

edit: Did I mention it's free, lol! Try it first before you buy anything. You will be surprised how versatile it is.

Last edited by wickedwarlock; 03-16-2006 at 06:06 AM.
Old 03-16-2006, 07:31 AM
TECH Resident

nope, I can tell you haven't used it or even tried it. It's a simple product and sure there's better. I've done lots for dtwtrucks.com. Movie maker is the product. You can edit, cut, add text, add music, etc. It's perfect for the average person.

edit: Did I mention it's free, lol! Try it first before you buy anything. You will be surprised how versatile it is.
Correct me if Im wrong, but the person asked for a program, not an operating system. If you were refering to Microsoft Movie Maker then you should have stated that.

I could have just as easily answer "get a mac" and use iMovie. But Id rather recommend going with FCP, Premier and using Aftereffects. I dont do video editing, but I have friends who do it for a career.

So from your answer I can tell you arent very computer knowledged. Because no matter what way you look at it, Windows XP is not a video editing program. Dont mean to offened you in anyway however.

Last edited by Charging TA; 03-16-2006 at 09:16 AM.
Old 03-17-2006, 06:36 AM
TECH Resident

Correct me if Im wrong, but the person asked for a program, not an operating system. If you were refering to Microsoft Movie Maker then you should have stated that.

I could have just as easily answer "get a mac" and use iMovie. But Id rather recommend going with FCP, Premier and using Aftereffects. I dont do video editing, but I have friends who do it for a career.

So from your answer I can tell you arent very computer knowledged. Because no matter what way you look at it, Windows XP is not a video editing program. Dont mean to offened you in anyway however.
It's bundled with it. Yes, sir I am. I'm an IT Administrator! I am very computer savy! You shouldn't say anything, you don't know me from to make conclusions. Oh, and you didn't offend me. I just assumed people would know xp is bundled with a movie editor, just as it is with an mp3 player and file compression. It even has a pop up blocker and soon it will be bundled with a spyware removal built into the browser.

Last edited by wickedwarlock; 03-17-2006 at 06:50 AM.
Old 03-17-2006, 06:49 AM
TECH Resident

It's bundled with it. Yes, sir I am. I'm an IT Administrator! I am very computer savy! Don't say anything, you don't know me from anything to make conclusions.
Ok, so you are saying that this guy should go out and buy Windows XP for the video editing software that comes with it? How do you know he doesnt already have Windows XP? Some IT Admin you are.

You could have started off by asking what system/OS he is using. Assuming he is using Windows XP, you could have recommended for him to look into the bundled Movie Maker, or another piece of software that runs on Windows.

But saying "windows xp" for a video editing program...

Your saying you shouldnt be judged by the answers you provide on here? I guess your work shouldnt be judged by how you handle it on the job either...

When someone asks what type of cam they should get, would you answer "A Camaro works just fine!"

For the orginal poster, Avid has Free DV . A free professional video editing standalone. I believe you get the serial number when you register to the userbase.
Old 03-17-2006, 06:54 AM
TECH Resident

Ok, so you are saying that this guy should go out and buy Windows XP for the video editing software that comes with it? How do you know he doesnt already have Windows XP? Some IT Admin you are.

You could have started off by asking what system/OS he is using. Assuming he is using Windows XP, you could have recommended for him to look into the bundled Movie Maker, or another piece of software that runs on Windows.

But saying "windows xp" for a video editing program...

Your saying you shouldnt be judged by the answers you provide on here? I guess your work shouldnt be judged by how you handle it on the job either...

When someone asks what type of cam they should get, would you answer "A Camaro works just fine!"

For the orginal poster, Avid has Free DV . A free professional video editing standalone. I believe you get the serial number when you register to the userbase.
Your reaching now. 90% of the computer market client side is windows, period. It's a fact. I work with all the platforms. I'm not going to argue with you. It's obvious you're showing your age. If you're that uptight because I answered windows xp instead of saying windows movie maker than you have issues. And what I do for a living, I'm one of the best. Once again, your making conclusions about my work ethic based on my answer of windows xp versus windows movie maker.
Old 03-17-2006, 07:27 AM
TECH Resident

Your reaching now. 90% of the computer market client side is windows, period. It's a fact. I work with all the platforms. I'm not going to argue with you. It's obvious you're showing your age. If you're that uptight because I answered windows xp instead of saying windows movie maker than you have issues. And what I do for a living, I'm one of the best. Once again, your making conclusions about my work ethic based on my answer of windows xp versus windows movie maker.
First of all, I shouldnt even be talking about Windows, havent used it for the past 5 years, why? Because in my line of work theres nothing better than a Mac. I dont have issues, its really simple: the guy asked for some video editing software, and you answer Windows Xp.

I never argued that most personal computers were running Windows, Im the one who said they did. And using that assumption alone, that should have told you to provide a better answer. Ive never in this thread argued about the person switching from Windows to another OS, Ive recommended different software for Windows, something I (a Mac guy) shouldnt even be doing.

Its the exact same thing as answering "what kind of cam should I get?" with "A Camaro works just fine!" because a Camaro not only comes bundled with a cam, a crank, heads and a block, it also includes a body, a transmission, rear-end, and wheels.

As for being the best, let your work speak for itself, you shouldnt have to.
Old 03-17-2006, 07:54 AM
TECH Resident

First of all, I shouldnt even be talking about Windows, havent used it for the past 5 years, why? Because in my line of work theres nothing better than a Mac. I dont have issues, its really simple: the guy asked for some video editing software, and you answer Windows Xp.

I never argued that most personal computers were running Windows, Im the one who said they did. And using that assumption alone, that should have told you to provide a better answer. Ive never in this thread argued about the person switching from Windows to another OS, Ive recommended different software for Windows, something I (a Mac guy) shouldnt even be doing.

Its the exact same thing as answering "what kind of cam should I get?" with "A Camaro works just fine!" because a Camaro not only comes bundled with a cam, a crank, heads and a block, it also includes a body, a transmission, rear-end, and wheels.

As for being the best, let your work speak for itself, you shouldnt have to.
LOL, your too much. You win and I'm not worty. Like I said, I'm not going to argue with you. It's not worth the time.

After all this, he never responded back either way. So, either that windows xp worked fine um, movie maker , or he's just really confused now.

And I agree, Mac has the best video editing on the market, hands down. What OS do you run? Using dual G5s? I assume you are.

But you stilll missed the point that 90% of the market from the client side uses windows xp. And you being a mac user who does video editing, is commenting on my response about windows xp over windows movie maker; hasn't used windows in 5 years. It's kind of a given that there's a video editor in there, just like using it's other features. XP has been out for over 3 years now. Like I said, I don't need to say anymore.

And chatting on a forum has no bearing on letting your work speak for itself. Next time, I will try to be more specific for you mac guys. I can't believe I commented this many times over nothing!

Last edited by wickedwarlock; 03-17-2006 at 08:01 AM.
Old 03-17-2006, 08:09 AM
TECH Resident

LOL, your too much. You win and I'm not worty. Like I said, I'm not going to argue with you. It's not worth the time.

After all this, he never responded back either way. So, either that windows xp worked fine um, movie maker , or he's just really confused now.

And I agree, Mac has the best video editing on the market, hands down. What OS do you run? Using dual G5s? I assume you are.

But you stilll missed the point that 90% of the market from the client side uses windows xp. And you being a mac user who does video editing, is commenting on my response about windows xp over windows movie maker; hasn't used windows in 5 years. It's kind of a given that there's a video editor in there, just like using it's other features. XP has been out for over 3 years now. Like I said, I don't need to say anymore.

And chatting on a forum has no bearing on letting your work speak for itself. Next time, I will try to be more specific for you mac guys.
1. You never said you werent going to argue.
2. I have a Dual 2.0 G5, running 10.4.3 and for portability an iBook.
3. If you read carefully, I said I do not do video editing. Im a Graphic Designer.
4. I never missed the point that most personal computers run Windows, never, Ive stated it twice already that most use Windows...
5. If everyone knows there is a video editor in there, then why did you answer "Windows XP"?
6. "you mac guys", yes its always "us mac guys" who have to come clean up the mess that Windows users leave behind.

Im done, unless you really want to argue some more, but youve already stated that you dont...
Old 03-17-2006, 08:35 AM
TECH Resident

1. You never said you werent going to argue.
2. I have a Dual 2.0 G5, running 10.4.3 and for portability an iBook.
3. If you read carefully, I said I do not do video editing. Im a Graphic Designer.
4. I never missed the point that most personal computers run Windows, never, Ive stated it twice already that most use Windows...
5. If everyone knows there is a video editor in there, then why did you answer "Windows XP"?
6. "you mac guys", yes its always "us mac guys" who have to come clean up the mess that Windows users leave behind.

Im done, unless you really want to argue some more, but youve already stated that you dont...
We're not arguing, we're discussing. You're a full mac user, it shows that's what I am referring to. What can I use to play my mp3s? windows xp works fine, but nope, it's actually windows media player. It's a mute point, it's just a general statement. It's not that hard to follow unless you don't use windows, and you clearly do not. That's why I said that about you being a full mac user and the comment about you not using windows. Sorry for my ingorance on your video editing, Graphic design and video editing is still best on a mac. Like I said, my comment about mac's has no bearing on the product, but your ignorance of windows. And the word ignorance here means not knowing. I have a mac too, I love using it. Powermac, I have had it for over 5 years. I've been using mac since the power pc and lovely os 6, lol. Probably my fourth machine. I need to upgrade soon, this g4 is getting old. I belive i'm using 9.x. And OS X is fantastic! What new features does 10.4 offer? I've been so busy lately, I've been slacking the past 4 or 5 months on the mac market.

You have a good day.
Old 03-17-2006, 09:51 AM
TECH Resident

We're not arguing, we're discussing. You're a full mac user, it shows that's what I am referring to. What can I use to play my mp3s? windows xp works fine, but nope, it's actually windows media player. It's a mute point, it's just a general statement. It's not that hard to follow unless you don't use windows, and you clearly do not. That's why I said that about you being a full mac user and the comment about you not using windows. Sorry for my ingorance on your video editing, Graphic design and video editing is still best on a mac. Like I said, my comment about mac's has no bearing on the product, but your ignorance of windows. And the word ignorance here means not knowing. I have a mac too, I love using it. Powermac, I have had it for over 5 years. I've been using mac since the power pc and lovely os 6, lol. Probably my fourth machine. I need to upgrade soon, this g4 is getting old. I belive i'm using 9.x. And OS X is fantastic! What new features does 10.4 offer? I've been so busy lately, I've been slacking the past 4 or 5 months on the mac market.

You have a good day.
I do not have an ignorance of Windows. When someone asks for Mac video editing software, or an audio player, I would never say "use OSX".

Seperating the OS from software that runs within the OS has nothing at all to do with what OS you use.

For it to make any sense at all you would have to say "the one built into [the OS, wether it be XP, OSX, or even a *nix distro (Redhat, Slackware, Suse...)]

Thats the whole point of this on-going argument that is now a discussion by your terms.

Some new features of 10.4 are Dashboard (widgets) - I dont use it that much, Spotlight - Real useful search that I use constantly, aside from the two of those theres nothing really noticeable to the naked-eye, a bunch of small features such as RSS reading built into Safari.

If you dont know already, the transition from PPC to Intel has begun, with the recently released Intel iMac, Intel Macmini, and Mac Book Pro (Powerbook replacement).
Old 03-17-2006, 10:03 AM
TECH Resident

I do not have an ignorance of Windows. When someone asks for Mac video editing software, or an audio player, I would never say "use OSX".

Seperating the OS from software that runs within the OS has nothing at all to do with what OS you use.

For it to make any sense at all you would have to say "the one built into [the OS, wether it be XP, OSX, or even a *nix distro (Redhat, Slackware, Suse...)]

Thats the whole point of this on-going argument that is now a discussion by your terms.

Some new features of 10.4 are Dashboard (widgets) - I dont use it that much, Spotlight - Real useful search that I use constantly, aside from the two of those theres nothing really noticeable to the naked-eye, a bunch of small features such as RSS reading built into Safari.

If you dont know already, the transition from PPC to Intel has begun, with the recently released Intel iMac, Intel Macmini, and Mac Book Pro (Powerbook replacement).
But you do, if you haven't used windows in five years. And I don't think that mac os doesn't offer a video editor with the os, and it's not the standard market os. The only one that had the issue with my comment was you who said that you haven't used windows in over 5 years. No one else complained, like I said, it's just assumed. Remember, microsoft wants you to use their product for everything. That's why they acguired Giant software(spyware removal company), so they can add the spyware removal into their product next. Ok, I'm done with the windows crap.

Now the mac stuff is interesting now, Yes, I did read that on government news about the Intel, mac transition. It's gets really interesting now. I think that IBM and mac have a great design with the G5, I honestly don't think that intel would make a better product, however, it will be 100% compatable without running an emulator like Soft PC. Reguardless, it will be intersting to see some reviews. Thanks for the info, I think I'm going to do some research on the intel/mac deal, hehe.

take care......
Old 03-17-2006, 10:39 AM
TECH Resident

Windows XP came out October 2001. Thats almost 5 years (and I was exaggerating). Windows XP hasnt changed at all (exaggerating), I could boot up my PC anyday and it would be just the same.

If you buy a new mac, then your machine comes with the latest iLife, which includes iMovie. I recall prior to iLife, iMovie came with OSX.
Old 03-17-2006, 09:35 PM
On The Tree

I use Sony vegas movie studio.
http://www.sonymediasoftware.com/Pro...ct.asp?PID=983

download the demo, it's a very stable product.
Also movie maker that's included with xp can do the basics except
not make dvd's.

Do not use Pinnacle....FYI