Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

2006 EVO IX RS vs. LS1 Camaro SS

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2006, 05:59 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bandimere is the most humbling thing in the world. It makes 10 second cars 11 second cars and right up the line. Sucks.
Got to love Colorado, my car is buried in snow right now! I'm ready for summer already! Sorry, just a little tired of winter!
Old 03-20-2006, 07:17 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BSmonitor
I am starting to think that maybe he thought I was just a base Lancer with an EVO body kit, my car doesn't come with the Stock Spoiler that many have grown accustomed to seeing on EVOs. In that case I would think there was something wrong with my car too.
If you didn't have that big wing your right he probably thought you were a modded non-turbo lancer. From a dig you'd make him feel real slow if you launched right. Good runs!!
Old 03-20-2006, 08:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Z2K_MrJ
i would be shocked to if My SS only put only a Car on you from a 70MPH roll. i would think there was somting wrong with it as well. nice race tho
Agreed. I'm willing to bet that the LS1 you raced was an auto, or the guy was just holding you off and not giving it all it had.

Somehow I don't see a car with a 230WHP 4 cylinder hanging with a 300WHP LS1, thats a big gap.
Old 03-20-2006, 08:24 PM
On The Tree

^Please pay attention.

He was racing him, he even thought there was something wrong with his car. Which is understandable really, considering he might have raced EVO 8's and pulled them harder than that.

Also the EVO owner who started this thread pointed out what EVO 9's(NINE's) dyno and 230whp wasn't anywhere close to the range.(Granted it could be that low but it wouldn't be the norm at all)

Dan
EDIT: wrong numbers
Old 03-20-2006, 08:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Globalpack
If the guy in the Camaro saw the videos of the 600 HP EVO he would have realized the EVO IS a worthy opponent..
Ah... you mean the 900 rwhp? It's gone up substantially.
Old 03-20-2006, 08:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Wesmanw02
Agreed. I'm willing to bet that the LS1 you raced was an auto, or the guy was just holding you off and not giving it all it had.

Somehow I don't see a car with a 230WHP 4 cylinder hanging with a 300WHP LS1, thats a big gap.
I've seen Evo's run at the track anywhere in the thirteens... mostly mids.

I've seen F-body LS1's run at the track anywhere in the thirteens, too... mostly mids and lows.

I don't see much of a difference. Moreover, I drove one of my friend's '03 Evo the day he bought it. My car was stock and so was his. We could never pull on each other unless we were going over 80 mph then I'd start walking him SLOWLY. By contrast, he'd get the launch on a dig and put a car or two on me always. Now, again, I AM a heavy-*** 'vert. Thus, I suspect an F-body coupe WILL always walk the EVO... BUT CERTAINLY NOT by much... Again, mid-thirteens to low thirteens... Not much of a difference.
Old 03-20-2006, 09:11 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Evo IXs are beasts

Nice death on teh roll.
Old 03-20-2006, 11:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Nice death
Old 03-20-2006, 11:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bboyferal
I've seen Evo's run at the track anywhere in the thirteens... mostly mids.

I've seen F-body LS1's run at the track anywhere in the thirteens, too... mostly mids and lows.

I don't see much of a difference. Moreover, I drove one of my friend's '03 Evo the day he bought it. My car was stock and so was his. We could never pull on each other unless we were going over 80 mph then I'd start walking him SLOWLY. By contrast, he'd get the launch on a dig and put a car or two on me always. Now, again, I AM a heavy-*** 'vert. Thus, I suspect an F-body coupe WILL always walk the EVO... BUT CERTAINLY NOT by much... Again, mid-thirteens to low thirteens... Not much of a difference.
The difference is that F-Bodys are in the 13's because of power. Evo's are only in the 13's because they have AWD, which allows them to take almost a full second off the 1/4 mile over a vehicle of similar power and weight due to the AWD launch. Of course AWD also saps up a lot more power, hence the reason they only put down 230-240WHP, which is a big disadvantage from a roll.
Old 03-21-2006, 08:17 AM
Launching!

Gearing matters. Two cars that dyno at x HP might be identical in terms of acceleration in thrid gear or so, but one might have much more torque to the ground in 1st and second due to a more aggresive ratio in those gears and so on.

Throw in aero and weight and all the other stuff and it gets real complex real quick. that does not even count external conditions. Altatude, tire pressure, local gas quality, temperature, hell crosswind speeds will affect the cars differently and in different ways. Empirical data is really the only way to compare.

Not to mention that car chage over model years. Just look at the stock dyno diffs between 98s-99s and 00s-02s. Theoretically the same. In reality very different. This is the same situation wih the VIIIs and IVs accordig to all I have read, though I have not had a chance to personally talk with any brand new Evo owners lately. I have little trouble beleiving it. Small almost unoticable flow mods make a big diff in a high boost application. A revision to the turbine housing here and to the Manifold there add upto a lot more than a couple of HP when your dealing with those kinds temps and pressures. Just liike and LS6 revision makes a big diff for the better.

And so I say nice race. Start modding!
Old 03-21-2006, 08:50 AM
TECH Junkie

The difference is that F-Bodys are in the 13's because of power. Evo's are only in the 13's because they have AWD, which allows them to take almost a full second off the 1/4 mile over a vehicle of similar power and weight due to the AWD launch. Of course AWD also saps up a lot more power, hence the reason they only put down 230-240WHP, which is a big disadvantage from a roll.
I agree. Thus I surmise any given stock F-body LS1 will walk a stock EVO from a roll... NOT BY MUCH... a slow walk by a couple of cars. There is still not that much difference.
Old 03-21-2006, 09:43 AM
Banned

Thats about the stupidest excuse I've ever heard. AWD by itself generates no power whatsoever. NONE. The engine still has to make the power to get the car into the 13s. Thanks to the power curve and gearing its able to perform quite well in the 1/4, not because of the AWD system.

The AWD setup is because the car is first a rally racer. It was designed for it from the bottom up - an EVO IX would spank you silly around a road course (or heaven forbid an offroad course) six ways from sunday. They also do well in a drag race. Big whoop dee doo.
Old 03-21-2006, 11:15 AM
Teching In

Seriously though we need to clear this up, and I don't blame you for not knowing this, because you don't drive an EVO or probably put much effort into finding out more info on them. I do not own a VIII, I own a IX and my car does not make 230-240WHP, if for some unknown reason my IX dynoed that low I would think I had a boost leak or something. EVO IXs, which yes are different than VIIIs, are usually making anywhere 250-275WHP, the lowest I've seen for a IX was 242WHP on 91 octane, the highest I've seen is 283WHP on 93 octane bone stock. Now I don't think my IX is making 270-275WHP like some lucky IX owners, but between 250-260WHP is a safe bet especially going off of my trap speeds. Not only have IXs been shown to make more power stock usually, they also make a lot more power with bolt ons. This is my opinion makes the IX one of, if not the best EVO generation of all time. The reasons for the differences are mainly a larger turbo on the IX compared to the VIII, MIVEC which helps with spool up, and other minor but in some ways critical differences, even the spark plugs are different than the VIIIs. I could have bought an EVO much earlier if I had stuck to my orginal plan of buying a 2003-2004 used model, but this IX was making such amazing numbers, that I knew I had to wait save up more and buy it, that's the difference between a IX and VIII. With that said not only are there differences between the IX and VIII, there are also differences between the 03-04 EVO VIII and 05 EVO VIII. So please stop grouping all the EVOs together, I assure you bone freakin' stock my IX does not make 230-240WHP and with a simple works air filter it really doesn't.

The power to weight of a IX and Camaro SS are not that far apart, if anything, the gearing for the SS is the biggest advantage for freeway races compared to my IX. It was a good race, and he was trying, and please you honestly think he would race me three times half *** and want to go at it again. Come on now think about what some of you are saying.

Stock EVO IX dyno jet run-
http://media.putfile.com/Evo-IX-Stock-Dyno-Run-TOPSPEED
Kind of hard to see, but it made 270AWHP/265AWTQ

Last edited by BSmonitor; 03-21-2006 at 11:34 AM.
Old 03-21-2006, 11:23 AM
Teching In

Also stop it with the EVO is only in the 13s because of AWD, my first trip to the drag strip was pretty bad as far as launching, I got out launched by a SRT-4 on street tires But I still was hitting 13s, all EVOs usually trap over 100mph and that is an indication of power.
Old 03-21-2006, 12:49 PM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Ok Im going to be honest and say that I too would think somethng was wrong with my SS if I could barely pull an Evo from a roll. Unless I was an auto. And I own a 4 cylinder that puts more to the ground than most of the people posting in this thread.
Old 03-21-2006, 12:57 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Globalpack
Sounds to me like the guy you raced was cocky and ignorant about EVOS...not insecure.

He likely doesn't visit these forums because we all seen the vids of that nasty 600 WHP EVO.

LoL that evo is sick, but its just kinda funny how everytime someone mentions a fast LS1 on this forum the EVO guys jump in and are like "Well the AMS EVO makes 900 awhp and runs 9's so there!" Or if there is a race between an evo and an ls1 and the ls1 wins then the evo guys are like "Well if he raced the AMS EVO he woulda got smoked!" The AMS evo is absolutely badass, but seriously thats 1 car...I mean I respect EVO's, STI's, Srt-4's, etc because I know they are fast cars stock and modded can be plain nasty, but seriously there are so many more lsx powered vehicles rolling around that are 9/10/11 second cars than there are evo's/sti's/srt-4's. Again not saying there fast ones out there but people need to stop quoting the fastest EVO ever everytime there is a race where an LSx powered car beats an evo...rant off!
Old 03-21-2006, 01:52 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BSmonitor
Seriously though we need to clear this up, and I don't blame you for not knowing this, because you don't drive an EVO or probably put much effort into finding out more info on them. I do not own a VIII, I own a IX and my car does not make 230-240WHP, if for some unknown reason my IX dynoed that low I would think I had a boost leak or something. EVO IXs, which yes are different than VIIIs, are usually making anywhere 250-275WHP, the lowest I've seen for a IX was 242WHP on 91 octane, the highest I've seen is 283WHP on 93 octane bone stock. Now I don't think my IX is making 270-275WHP like some lucky IX owners, but between 250-260WHP is a safe bet especially going off of my trap speeds. Not only have IXs been shown to make more power stock usually, they also make a lot more power with bolt ons. This is my opinion makes the IX one of, if not the best EVO generation of all time. The reasons for the differences are mainly a larger turbo on the IX compared to the VIII, MIVEC which helps with spool up, and other minor but in some ways critical differences, even the spark plugs are different than the VIIIs. I could have bought an EVO much earlier if I had stuck to my orginal plan of buying a 2003-2004 used model, but this IX was making such amazing numbers, that I knew I had to wait save up more and buy it, that's the difference between a IX and VIII. With that said not only are there differences between the IX and VIII, there are also differences between the 03-04 EVO VIII and 05 EVO VIII. So please stop grouping all the EVOs together, I assure you bone freakin' stock my IX does not make 230-240WHP and with a simple works air filter it really doesn't.

The power to weight of a IX and Camaro SS are not that far apart, if anything, the gearing for the SS is the biggest advantage for freeway races compared to my IX. It was a good race, and he was trying, and please you honestly think he would race me three times half *** and want to go at it again. Come on now think about what some of you are saying.

Stock EVO IX dyno jet run-
http://media.putfile.com/Evo-IX-Stock-Dyno-Run-TOPSPEED
Kind of hard to see, but it made 270AWHP/265AWTQ

Yea the EVo IX's def do put down good power and with the weight advantage again id expect the race to be close like you stated, and you will find out that most people on this board know/respect EVO's so no need to lump every LS1 owner into one category based on the first ls1 owner you met/raced in your EVO IX. You should post some pics of your car if possible as ive yet to see an EVO IX on the road, only EVO VIII's, MR's, and rs's.
Old 03-21-2006, 03:54 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 98Z28MASS
LoL that evo is sick, but its just kinda funny how everytime someone mentions a fast LS1 on this forum the EVO guys jump in and are like "Well the AMS EVO makes 900 awhp and runs 9's so there!" Or if there is a race between an evo and an ls1 and the ls1 wins then the evo guys are like "Well if he raced the AMS EVO he woulda got smoked!" The AMS evo is absolutely badass, but seriously thats 1 car...I mean I respect EVO's, STI's, Srt-4's, etc because I know they are fast cars stock and modded can be plain nasty, but seriously there are so many more lsx powered vehicles rolling around that are 9/10/11 second cars than there are evo's/sti's/srt-4's. Again not saying there fast ones out there but people need to stop quoting the fastest EVO ever everytime there is a race where an LSx powered car beats an evo...rant off!
Yeah your right about EVO owners jumping to AMS, I could see how that could get annoyind, but I assure you there are other EVO cars making tremedous power, including another two that also make 900WHP. Also the EVO is only been in the USA since 2003, and is a limited production model, of course there should be more LS1s running 9/10/11s especially since the engine is spread out through many different models such as Corvettes, GTOs, and etc. Also a better comparison would be the 4G63 (which would include DSMs) to the Camaro/Firebird LS1s, still advantage goes to the LS1 but it's not as far ahead as you would think. Not spouting crap on LS1, I have much respect for it, but I would hope some owners, not all, wouldn't be so completely clueless when it came to the capabilities of another car. If you don't know much about these other cars, then please don't give us your uneducated bias opinion which more often than not is just plain wrong.
Old 03-21-2006, 03:55 PM
Teching In

98Z28MASS-

Oh yeah and my last post was in no way address directly to you, so don't take it personal.
Old 03-21-2006, 04:43 PM
On The Tree

Gotta love the internet.

Somebody somewhere has a super powerful car so when someone with the same car get's their feeling's hurt they bring it up. A car probably 1000's of miles away from them but only a few clicks away.

This is true with any car and it's annoying.

Dan

Quick Reply: 2006 EVO IX RS vs. LS1 Camaro SS