Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

funny colbalt guy

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 11:16 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default funny colbalt guy

I had to take a trip to the dealer to pick up a set of new 02's for the good ol' gal, and as I was waiting in the parts line I kinda wandered off into the show room. In there they had this Colbalt ss... I started peaking under the hood and c heckign out it's lil supercharger thing. I kinda smile and thought to myself... it be cool if they tossed one of those on the 09 Z28's. As I'm standing there day dreaming a sales man comes up to me, and ask me... would I like a test drive.

At first I was like no I'm just looking, but then I figured why the hell not. So as he turned his back to get the keys and the dealer plates I asked him, could he get the keys to a stick. He turns around and smiles and says sure. So he comes back minutes later, and he's giving me his salesmens pitch about the car, and I play along. with him, and he takes me to this blue SS he had out on the lot. he unlocks his door and I unlock mine. As I sit in the car before I turn it on he briefs me about it. He tells me the cars is pretty powerful with something like 180hp and I should be careful with it, becasue a couple of guys couldn't handle the power of the supercharger on that thing. I couldn't figure out if he was serious or if it was a line of salesman BS. So I finally start the car, and proceed to take the thing off onto the road, and as I let out of first gear, I stall the car out.

Immediately I realized to myself wait, This car doesn't have a touchy racing clutch on it like Im used to. So I appologize to the guy and start the car back up. I feather it on out the parking lot since it felt so mushy. As soon as where about to hit the highway the guy is like look, when we get out on the highway you gotta take it easy with this thing. This baby will lay down rubber like nothing, don't mash down on it ok. So naturally I drive out onto the road and mash the pedal down to mess with the guy. Vrrrrrrrrr the engine didn't sound that bad, but what in the hell... I swear a Buick Park Avenenue was passing me up as I'm in full throttle with this thing. I don't even think I felt a slight jerk, but the sales guy was like what are you doing...

I told you not to mash it down. I couldn't believe he was serious. We come up to a red light ahead, and I ask him ifI can rev it up. He told me sure. So I put it in neutral and toss a rev. Wreee it just didn't feel the same. THe light turns green and I redline the car up to 4th I think it was. I swear this thing was going so slow, but the Dealer guy was freaking out. Feel all that power! Do you like that! Yeah! Listen to that engine scream. This car could easily take on any Ebo (I think he meant EVO) out there. HE then told me a story about how his buddy had one and wasted this Corvette C5 in his STOCK yes showroom STOCK Colbalt SS. I thought this guy was a bit looney or he just needed to work on his pitch better. So I drive back into the dealer and he tells me to pop the hood.

So as Im standing there he starts REvving the motor. Look at that! watch that baby Jump at you! that's 240 horses! (I guess he uped it now). I tell him thanks for the ride, and that I have to really get back to work. So I shake his hand and he tries to hammer his Colbalt pitch back on me, and I tell him that I wasn't really interested in the car, becasue it was too powerful a car for me. I go in and purchase my 02's and leave out of there. I tell you this was almost as good as the time I went to the ford dealer, and the guy showed me an SVT "Focus" and told me it had a blower on it as we looked under the hood... when clearly there was no such thing on this N/A application.
Old 03-22-2006, 11:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Thats too funny, cobalts layin rubber, lol
Old 03-22-2006, 11:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Good story. I was at a dyno day last Saturday where they had some modified Cobalt SS's put down ~240 to the wheels. The dyno was SCREAMING in agony!
Old 03-22-2006, 11:52 AM
TECH Regular

This is ******* hilarious.... salesmen are jokes sometimes.... i dont even wanna say anymore im still laughing...
Old 03-22-2006, 12:31 PM
Teching In

i got my car 3 days ago, and today i had my first "cobalt experience", for some reason this ricers think they're fast
Old 03-22-2006, 01:58 PM
TECH Resident

LOL, that's too much. I was at the Dodge dealer the other day. Looking at the srts, hehe. You bet they was pitching, but at least they were right.
Old 03-22-2006, 02:01 PM
Staging Lane

Good story and nice death!!! (Buick Park Avenue.. )
Old 03-22-2006, 02:02 PM
11 Second Club

The cars make nice DD cars and get good gas mileage. I have thought about buying one cause my little brother has one and its a nice little car. Its no vette, but the car does move for a 4 cylinder. It gives mustangs a run for their money as well. My little brother went 14.1 @97 in his car stock. We added a few mods including a smaller pulley and he is up to 102 mph, but still has to learn how to race. For what it is the car beats the hell out of the old Cavi. BTW the car is rated at 205 hp and 190 tq. amd that is at the wheels as my brothers car did 206 fwhp and 191 fwtq stock.
Old 03-22-2006, 02:41 PM
Launching!

Gotta love a salesman. He's just doing his job. You should of asked him if it would pull a boat too.
Old 03-22-2006, 02:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Haha, not a kill but a good story!

Much better than these stupid arguments we've been having lately
Old 03-22-2006, 02:49 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by dsz28
Gotta love a salesman. He's just doing his job. You should of asked him if it would pull a boat too.
"Sir, did i mention this car was used to tow in the ORGINAL titanic?"
Old 03-22-2006, 02:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Interesting story. You say the one you were looking at had a Supercharger?? Becuase that would mean it was a Cobalt SS Supercharged, which only comes with a 5-speed. They dyno about 210WHP on average, and are pretty damn quick for a 4-cylinder. Most guys are running about 14.5 @ 100MPH, which is definitely a respectable time. Nothing compared to an LS1 M6, but none the less stick quick.

If the car you were looking at was an auto, then it was just a "regular" SS with the 2.4 liter 172HP engine. They are also available in a 5-speed, which may have been the car you drove.
Old 03-22-2006, 03:10 PM
Racer

I told a dealer i would run my car title for title against their 06 Dodge Viper SRT 10 coupe! It was funny. I had my ws6 sitting in the guest parking spot. It looks bone stock. It runs 10s. He told me "nah you couldnt handle this bad boy,itll do 240mph!" I was like ok,go get the keys and lets go! Too bad they wouldnt take me up on it! lol
Old 03-22-2006, 07:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had my encounter with a Cobalt (SS supercharged) driven by the salesman from the dealer (they'd just got it in had like 20 miles on it)
Caught a light, coming into town, guy asked if I wanted to take on this SS, I said sure why not. I babied my T/a out of the hole (otherwise I'd be just making smoke) the guy in the passenger seat had this huge grin like the T/A couldn't outrun a Cobalt.
His grin was wiped off his face as soon as I hit second and left him like he was standing still
Old 03-22-2006, 08:18 PM
11 Second Club

wow some people really have no idea what they are talking about
Old 03-23-2006, 09:39 PM
Staging Lane

Funny.. They look decent havent been able to test drive one I wish a salesperson would come up to me and offer me a drive... I have heard they shut down at 80 though...
Old 03-23-2006, 09:45 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I honestly never fed my customers a line of bullshit like that. Who knows, maybe thats why I ended up with all the 700+ beacons while others bitched about their 450's (I had my share too) But I will say, I never lied to a customer about what a vehicle could/could not do. This is the south, if they try it, and it wont...they WILL find you
Old 03-23-2006, 10:25 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

haha ive ran a cobalt, guy though he was really fast, had 75$ on the line, just like 2K2WS6TA, babied it outa the whole, mashed second and laughed all the way to the bank
Old 03-23-2006, 10:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Heatmaker
I had to take a trip to the dealer to pick up a set of new 02's for the good ol' gal, and as I was waiting in the parts line I kinda wandered off into the show room. In there they had this Colbalt ss... I started peaking under the hood and c heckign out it's lil supercharger thing. I kinda smile and thought to myself... it be cool if they tossed one of those on the 09 Z28's. As I'm standing there day dreaming a sales man comes up to me, and ask me... would I like a test drive.

At first I was like no I'm just looking, but then I figured why the hell not. So as he turned his back to get the keys and the dealer plates I asked him, could he get the keys to a stick. He turns around and smiles and says sure. So he comes back minutes later, and he's giving me his salesmens pitch about the car, and I play along. with him, and he takes me to this blue SS he had out on the lot. he unlocks his door and I unlock mine. As I sit in the car before I turn it on he briefs me about it. He tells me the cars is pretty powerful with something like 180hp and I should be careful with it, becasue a couple of guys couldn't handle the power of the supercharger on that thing. I couldn't figure out if he was serious or if it was a line of salesman BS. So I finally start the car, and proceed to take the thing off onto the road, and as I let out of first gear, I stall the car out.

Immediately I realized to myself wait, This car doesn't have a touchy racing clutch on it like Im used to. So I appologize to the guy and start the car back up. I feather it on out the parking lot since it felt so mushy. As soon as where about to hit the highway the guy is like look, when we get out on the highway you gotta take it easy with this thing. This baby will lay down rubber like nothing, don't mash down on it ok. So naturally I drive out onto the road and mash the pedal down to mess with the guy. Vrrrrrrrrr the engine didn't sound that bad, but what in the hell... I swear a Buick Park Avenenue was passing me up as I'm in full throttle with this thing. I don't even think I felt a slight jerk, but the sales guy was like what are you doing...

I told you not to mash it down. I couldn't believe he was serious. We come up to a red light ahead, and I ask him ifI can rev it up. He told me sure. So I put it in neutral and toss a rev. Wreee it just didn't feel the same. THe light turns green and I redline the car up to 4th I think it was. I swear this thing was going so slow, but the Dealer guy was freaking out. Feel all that power! Do you like that! Yeah! Listen to that engine scream. This car could easily take on any Ebo (I think he meant EVO) out there. HE then told me a story about how his buddy had one and wasted this Corvette C5 in his STOCK yes showroom STOCK Colbalt SS. I thought this guy was a bit looney or he just needed to work on his pitch better. So I drive back into the dealer and he tells me to pop the hood.

So as Im standing there he starts REvving the motor. Look at that! watch that baby Jump at you! that's 240 horses! (I guess he uped it now). I tell him thanks for the ride, and that I have to really get back to work. So I shake his hand and he tries to hammer his Colbalt pitch back on me, and I tell him that I wasn't really interested in the car, becasue it was too powerful a car for me. I go in and purchase my 02's and leave out of there. I tell you this was almost as good as the time I went to the ford dealer, and the guy showed me an SVT "Focus" and told me it had a blower on it as we looked under the hood... when clearly there was no such thing on this N/A application.

haha i stalled the ss i drove at the GM autoshow in motion the first time 2,but i got the hang of it. the car was silver and the interior was black with some ugly *** yellow stripes...........i guess GM wants a piece of that ricer market? they shoulda gone turbo in a perfect world but we all know GM is in a bad financial state.
Old 03-24-2006, 09:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was at the track last friday and a Cobalt SS was running 16s. Do they make a non supercharged version or something?