Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Close Race Between LS1/LT1

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2006, 12:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Close Race Between LS1/LT1

Got off work at 12:30 early this morning and decided to take the long way home as the weather was very nice for a change here in Ohio. It's been a while since I've had a good WOT run, so I'm thinking to myself that at the next intersection I'm hanging a right and bangin' gears. As I slow down to make the right on red....I see why I will definitely be bangin' gears - a black LT1 Z28 Vert tears across the intersection. First race of the season.....its on!!

I take the right turn and get on it to catch up. About a half mile down the road we're lined up at 45mph and ready to roll. He gets the jump as I slam it down into second. This LT1 sounded very healthy. I immediately pull back to even as I hit third, but he's not going anywhere. It's not until I hit fourth that I creep forward.....I shut it down at 100mph about a half car ahead.

We pull back to about 20mph and both compliment the cars. He told me he's got a catback, 4.10 gears, and other little stuff. Maybe its just me....but that thing sounded a little loud for just a catback. I was a bit surprised I didn't pull on him more....especially since he had a passenger. I guess his 4.10s must have really helped in this instance. Either way a nice car and a cool driver.
Old 04-13-2006, 12:17 AM
On The Tree

good kill, he most likely had full bolt-ons with a mild cam or if not a cam, a really good tune.
Old 04-13-2006, 08:16 AM
11 Second Club

Good run - not many quick LT1's here in NEOhio, that i've seen at the track at least.
Old 04-13-2006, 08:34 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LT1's have 10.5:1 compression. My 5.0 sounds much meaner than stock b/c the 10.5:1 compared to 9:1 they come with. I would imagine a stock free-flowing exhaust on an LT1 would sound just as mean. Everyone SWORE my stock 95' Trans Am had mufflers...I said only if flowmaster contracted for GM lol.