Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Street racing etiquette

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2006, 01:07 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Street racing etiquette

Didn't know where to post this but this is definetly a related section. Why is it that I can never get a race?

I was thinkin it may be because I wasnt givin enough time for the other person to line up. An m3, a porsche, and soome quick lookin Mercadez all pretty much ignored me earlier today (driving through a rich section of town to meet some girl).

So a little while ago, about 2 in the morning, Im crusin about 65-70 on a desolate highway and I notice the lights a 03-04 mustang coming up on me. I figure this time Ill give some time to line up, so as hes passing me I notice its a cobra. I think to myself "Sweet Im gonna get destroyed this is gonna be awsome." Anyway I let him pass, then line up next to him. stay for a couple seconds tryin to see through his tinted windows until I just give up.

So is there some kind of ritual I must perform to get a race?
Old 04-16-2006, 02:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's completely random. Some days no one will bite and others too many people will want to race. Just like sometimes you can go for 2 weeks without seeing a car that even MIGHT be a good race. Or other days 8 primo cars go by, the other direction, on a divided highway.

Just relax and put some miles on it. It'll happen! If you want to speed up the process, get three V6 emblems and put one on each side, and 1 on the back... that way you won't scare off so many other people with that badass V8 'camaro.

Jim
Old 04-16-2006, 02:53 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

STNGEATR licence plate should get you some action lmao
Old 04-16-2006, 03:07 AM
TECH Addict

vMaster - I'm in the same boat as you man. Of all places I live in the YAY AREA.... and still can't find an occasional run. I live in a relatively rich area and see cars all the time but none ever really want to run .... in think it all depends on area you live in thought
Old 04-16-2006, 04:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

trying beeping your horn or reving your car up. or try and ask some people where the local race spots are. but most local race spots is only ricers
Old 04-16-2006, 06:30 AM
TECH Junkie

egg them on by dropping into a lower gear and jump on and off the throttle quickly, almost like your taunting them...works great
Old 04-16-2006, 09:42 AM
Launching!

Hey same thing happened to me, i was beside an 05-06 mustang gt, 98-99 formula, 99 cobra, i'm sure there was a few others none of them did a damn thing. And MANY cars going the other direction vettes, mustangs, other firebirds. The only reason i got a race last night is as this WS6 passed his buddy behind him in an old bagged nice looking impala piped me as i went by i thought you son of a bitch of course you do something going to opposite direction . And i chased them down through 2 towns to catch them an run
Old 04-16-2006, 10:43 AM
TECH Junkie

i rarely get to line up to fast cars. ive raced more cars in the last few months with the magnum already than i did all last year in the TA.
Old 04-16-2006, 11:53 AM
Launching!

I love Tampa...
Old 04-16-2006, 12:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

i have a sticker on my window that usually gets a few people.....it says

EATIN' FORDS
(CHEVY SYMBOL)
SHITN DODGES

its about 6 inches across by 6 inches high so its visible if theyr behind you or in the next lane....except i have the worthless cars try and race me....stock honda civics (not even riced out) and cars with little fart cans....i cant wait till some little ricer hands me my ***....although ill lose it would be awesome to see a car with that much power from a 4 cylinder on a highway (its rare where i am)
Old 04-16-2006, 12:30 PM
TECH Regular

Got a race the other day, with an 03/04 cobra and some buku-crazy miata, TOTAL rice, i thought. The Miata stayed with us until about 110 (not bad, i thought), and i couldnt seem to pull on the Cobra, we were neck-and-neck until i got to my exit. Then i realized: MY T-TOPS WERE OFF AND THE WINDOWS WERE DOWN!!! . I would have taken him if my tops were on, and i didnt have the equivilent of 500 extra lbs of drag on my car!

but yah, a good race is few and far between pretty much anywhere you go. when you do race: make sure your t-tops are on!
Old 04-16-2006, 01:46 PM
TECH Resident

I do notice the cars are ALWAYS on the other side of the street. THeres 2 supras a couple STIs and an evo or 2 around here, but I alwyas see them passing me the other way.

I live in a wierd ares, outside of philly where theres not many nice cars in my nieghborhood, but in very close to some rich neighborhoods.

I always figured I never caught any races because I was driving too fast. I would always be between 90-110 n the hwy. SO I figured that (among other reasons: cops ,gas being $3) if I slowed down I would se all the people that would want to race passing me. no luck yet.

I thought about the whoel intimidating car thing. My car is very loud around town. Not that I have a huge cam, its just full exhaust, no cats, and a torque converter so it revs pretty high. I dont think the v6 stickers would fool anyone lol.
ANd I dont wanna put stangkiller because, as im only at full-bolton, cobras will eat me alive.
Old 04-16-2006, 02:09 PM
Teching In

Get used to it my friend. You have one of the fastest cars that a poor man can buy. They are nearly bullet proof and have a ton of bolt on options. In my opinion there is no better car on the road, than an ls powered car. Not saying they are the fastest. But they are definately fast. I would say they are faster then 90% of the same year production cars. Needles to say, when you do get a race, you are most likely gonna win. The odds are in your favor! And racing a mustang gt will make you wanna
Because they are a pile of....

all the LS!
Old 04-16-2006, 09:21 PM
mcG
TECH Resident

i never get any races on the streets either, but i guess that's a good thing
Old 04-16-2006, 10:04 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

6" high? pfft, nothing, now the 6" wide part would make me insecure enough to race lmao.

Seriously though, i tip into the throttle in OD and it makes a nasty racket, dont even have to down shift to bounce some serious echoing off their car. It will either get me an irritated wave-off, or a big grin
Old 04-16-2006, 10:41 PM
Launching!

Me and my friend went street racing in Orlando one night. We alternated from his car to mine and we revved up at every car we pulled up against. In my Formula, not one person wanted to race us, NOT ONE!! But, in his slow POS early 90's Eagle Talon DL 4cyl, everyone wanted to race us.... and we lost every race (even to a minivan)! So, heres how to get people to race you; Smash the hell outta your car, break things, stick stock exhaust on, swap your rims for black hubcaps, crack your winshield, and sand your car's paint down.... that should do it
Old 04-17-2006, 09:14 AM
Teching In

You need to get your *** outta the burbs of Philly now and then and head a little farther south. South Jersey, Delaware, and even West Chester and York PA are picking up some now that the weather is turning friendlier. There's no shortage of crazy whack jobs down here that'll race ya! Hell soccer moms in Caravans will race your *** down Rt. 202!
Old 01-24-2007, 09:08 PM
Teching In

I know I have a 1995 Firebird and a 1999 camaro with ram air hood rims ect... barley any one will race the camaro ..my firebird is another story every light is a race for that car..i even took off all the emblems of the camaro and nobody messes with it but 5.0 or F-Bodys

Old 01-24-2007, 10:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

i think having visible guages helps- @ least it does for me- on an ls1 car i think i would shy away if it had some guages (thinkin boost or spray ) but i get tons of races, not on purpose, but a little wastegate in their open window is kinda hard to ignore
Old 01-24-2007, 10:26 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by candidate zero
I love Tampa...
WORD

Quick Reply: Street racing etiquette