Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Me and a Lancer Evo

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 11:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Me and a Lancer Evo

I was on my way home from Virginia to NJ, going down the highway and I saw an Evo following me and eventually tailing me. So, I was coming up to to off-ramp to hit another highway perpendicular to the one we were currently on. This means the ramp was a 270 degree turn onto the next highway. I thought to myself, "Ok Evo... let's see what you really got. Try tailing me around this bend..." I downshift and get into a racing state-of-mind. I hit the bend and push my car to the limit. I figured with my WS6 equipped with 275/40ZR17's and BRAND new Falken 451's, he would have some difficulty keeping with me. Well, I'm squeeling my tires going around this bend and I'm flying. I get about 3/4 around thew bend and I don't see him in my rear-view mirror. I think for a second, "Haha too quick eh?" Well, I look at my mirror on the right and he's RIGHT THERE!!! Not only was he keeping up, but he was taking me on the INSIDE!! He didn't try passing me on the inside (even though he could've) because that wasn't safe, but he was showing me that he could've passed. I was thinking, "DAMN WTF IS THAT THING???" So, while all this was happening I thought to myself, "Ok ok you got me on the bend, but let's see how you can sprint with me..." I look in my left mirror this time after the bend, and he already got a jump on me, to merge on the next highway. He's punching it and passing me on the left at a fast pace, so I shift into 3rd, going roughly 70mph. With all the torque from my LT1, I don't EASILY catch up to speed, but now he was SLOWLY passing by me. He got about 1 or 2 car lengths ahead when I hit 4th. When I did, my car JUMPED in front by about a half-a-car length. At this time we were both hitting roughly 110mph and he was right there with me. It was only about a half-mile sprint, then he hit traffic in his lane. Immediately after, there was a toll booth and we went through. I never saw him because he had to get change or something.

So, I wish we could've went farther because he was just as fast as me. I've never went up against someone as my equal. It was always either slower, or faster than me. This was simply exhilarating! I am not mad or angry at all that he BLEW ME AWAY on the bend, but actually very interested in learning more about the Evo, now. I underestimated their quickness and I would've enjoyed another sprint after the tolls just to see the results!

In conclusion, the Evo kicked my *** around the 270 degree ramp, and also really had some punch in a straight line. Who knows if it would've pulled on me or what?!?! GOOD JOB EVO! HERE'S THE CREDIT YOU DESERVE!
Old 05-23-2006, 11:47 AM
Launching!

Great story and good job giving credit where credit is due. Cant win them all right?
Old 05-23-2006, 01:38 PM
Staging Lane

Nice race and write-up. To bad you didn't get to talk to him. If he kept up with you that good up top then he probably had either cams or an upgraded turbo. Did the Evo look like the one in my sig or did it have holes in the bottom of the front bumper? New '06's can run high 12's at 104+ so they are pretty fast right out of the box.
Old 05-23-2006, 01:52 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds about right. LT1<EVO8/9
Old 05-23-2006, 01:53 PM
Banned

PS, i have ridden in EVo's and I used to own a 95 TA....no way you could get him in the twisties. Those things are GLUED and when they DO slide, its VERY!!! controlled and predictable, and the one I rode in didnt even have the ADVAN's, but some lesser tire.
Old 05-23-2006, 01:55 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah the stock Advans are crazy. They are near R-rated compound. The downside to that is they only last 8-10K miles.
Old 05-23-2006, 02:22 PM
11 Second Club

yea my buddys 03 with more boost exhaust and what not is nasty in the turns....I compleatly destroy him even off the bottle but damn does that thing stick in the twistys
Old 05-23-2006, 02:30 PM
Banned

The ppl I know got rid of the ADVAN's b/c they picked up a tonne of crap and kept getting flats due to sharp road debris.
Old 05-23-2006, 07:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NIevo
Nice race and write-up. To bad you didn't get to talk to him. If he kept up with you that good up top then he probably had either cams or an upgraded turbo. Did the Evo look like the one in my sig or did it have holes in the bottom of the front bumper? New '06's can run high 12's at 104+ so they are pretty fast right out of the box.
I think it was a de-badged Evo, because I was following it before it started tailing me, and I didn't see Evolution or even Lancer anywhere on the car. Do they make aftermarket hoods for those cars? Because it didn't really look like yours. Maybe it was a different model. I'm not too familiar with the car, but as I said before, I'd like to learn more about them so I know my competition more completely in the future.

I was also thinking... I was hauling an extra 300 lbs total, consisting of luggage plus a passenger. That may have held me back a little bit, but still... that car could've passed me on the ramp, so I don't think 300 lbs would've helped me much haha.

I wish I could've talked with him and discussed our cars. I wasn't too surprised when he killed me on the turn, but I was pretty impressed when he held with me (and just maybe could've ran me in the end) down the straight!
Old 05-23-2006, 07:58 PM
Staging Lane

They do make aftermarket hoods but all of them Ive seen still have the vent in it. All of the Evo models, RS, GSR, MR, still have the same basic lines so they look similar.
Old 05-24-2006, 01:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Oh wow there are 3 different models? I remember seeing a very distinct crease down the center of the hood, and i don't think there was a gaping hole in the center, like yours. Is that factory for one of the models?
Old 05-24-2006, 02:20 AM
TECH Regular

Here's a pic of mine, dont know if that helps any. They do have a slight crease down the center of the hood, but only up to the opening. As for the different models, they all look the same apperance wise though. I wouldnt say he had cams, maybe just the usual bolt ons and reflash. with cams I think he would have been pulling away. Nice run though

Old 05-24-2006, 07:09 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by sdm1234
In conclusion, the Evo kicked my *** around the 270 degree ramp, and also really had some punch in a straight line.
Good run. If this doesn't motivate you for some "serious" suspension upgrades, nothing will.
Old 05-24-2006, 12:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Haha I don't think I'm going to get suspension upgrades. It's VERY rare that something like this happens to me, so I won't spend any more money. If I competitively raced all the time, then yea, why not? How often do I whip around turns with rally cars following me? lol. However, I'm thinking about getting 1.6 RR's because it's kind of often that I do straight-line sprints. DAMN I wish I knew what he had! I would've LOVED to talk with him!

As for Quik ZO6, I think it looked like that, but with a different hood. It had a VERY distinguishable protruding crease down the center of the hood. He probably spent some time with appearance mods, because everything was debadged. I also have a question for ya! How do both your cars compare concerning handling? Is one tighter than the other, or about the same? I'm very interested in how these rally cars compare to our American cars!
Old 05-24-2006, 02:23 PM
TECH Regular

Well the Vette obviously handles very well since its a Z06, it takes turns about as well as the Evo. The Evo "feels" more responsive when turning, the Vette kinda feels big as where the Evo feels like a small car. I know both of them would kill our Cobra around any turns. You should go take an Evo for a test drive and see if you can find a nice road witha bunch or turns and test it out (I mean hey your buying the car right )
Old 05-24-2006, 06:11 PM
Teching In

Evo's are bad *** cars. AWD 4g63
Old 05-24-2006, 06:52 PM
Banned

ya i have ridden in some evos and they handle really well . Why is the price tag so high on an evo ?? compared to other performance 4 cylinders just a question not trying to get anyone flaming me .
Old 05-24-2006, 08:04 PM
Staging Lane

Well you have to look at the cost of some of the parts in them.

Motor- $6k+
Seats- $2K+
Brakes-$3K+
Wing- $1K+

Also the design and technology used in the car is pretty advanced especially in the suspension and AWD setup.
Old 05-24-2006, 10:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nice kill/death. I would'nt mind having or modding one of those evo's. I't would not look like rice though.
Old 05-25-2006, 01:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Quik Z06
You should go take an Evo for a test drive and see if you can find a nice road witha bunch or turns and test it out (I mean hey your buying the car right )
yea i would love to take one for a test drive. can i take one out by myself? i cant be whipping it around with the salesman in the car haha.